• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor recipient who fought off waves of Germans in WWII dies at 94

Don't doubt it too much, killing 50 people is going to weigh on the minds of most regardless.

Too bad he's not alive anymore for us to ask him.

It may "weigh on the minds of most" for people who haven't done it, sure.
I suspect it wasn't the case here, however.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You say it, but ignore what videogames have taught you. Despite everything that's happened since WW2, it's not repeated in over 70 years, while it only took about 21 years from the end of WW1 to the start of WW2.

Now obviously there are a lot of very complicated reasons for that (funnily enough), but we're doing alright. I don't say it often, but just assuming the worst isn't the smartest thing

MAD has eliminated large scale conflict between global powers.

But instead we have multi-decade state failures where millions die in specific areas over time. It's still fewer deaths than being on World War 5 or whatever we'd be on now.

Patrick S.

Banned
Too bad he's not alive anymore for us to ask him.

It may "weigh on the minds of most" for people who haven't done it, sure.
I suspect it wasn't the case here, however.

An ex colleague of mine was in the war in former Yugoslavia. During a conversation, he mentioned that he had to kill some people. Another colleague asked him how he felt about that, and he was basically "those guys were shooting at me first, trying to kill me. Fuck them." and I think that makes a lot of sense. Now someone like the guy who dropped the bomb on Hiroshima, or someone ordered to execute a prisoner in a firing squad or a jail... a person put in situation like that will have a guilty conscience for the rest of his life.

Top Bottom