• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 18 - 24 Dec

klee123

jj984jj said:
TotW is #11 in the SW chart, that's how many copies were sold.

Does you know the actual sales numbers of TotW from the software chart. Obviously the sales number should be under 130k, but the TotW packs sold about that much too. I highly doubt everyone bought the packs only.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
klee123 said:
Does you know the actual sales numbers of TotW from the software chart. Obviously the sales number should be under 130k, but the TotW packs sold about that much too. I highly doubt everyone bought the packs only.
The number duckroll posted is the actual sales numbers of TotW from the software chart, although I can see why you got confused since he posted it with the hardware sales for this week.

starship said:
Are you trying to be a dumbass?
I'm trying to figure out what the **** you said and what your point is. I was trying to tell klee what duckroll meant with that TotW number he posted and for whatever reason you are comparing the sales to Blue Dragon?

klee123

jj984jj said:
The number duckroll posted is the actual sales numbers of TotW from the software chart, although I can see why you got confused since he posted it with the hardware sales for this week.

oh..........

jj984jj said:
Wow, so aside from the blue PSP a special one was released as well? Including two big software releases? It's surprising that PSP still couldn't sell as well as last year. It sold over 150K IIRC. Maybe PSP is having shortages as well? I know that's why DS couldn't beat the 600K it sold last year, but I'm not sure about the PSP. Last year PSP had no software push like it has this week either, I remember that Izzy wouldn't let us chalk PSP's sales upto the holiday season because of that.

Yea, I wonder if that's it!

bud

BenjaminBirdie said:
I was actually thinking about this, can Sony turn around and take 20gb's and flip them to 60's if need be? Like, for a Core 360, just pop on a HDD and whammo. Is the Wi-Fi thingie on the 60 hardwired or can it easily be added?

:lol :lol

Wait, Blue Dragon off the top 50 already.

360 saved! Now droves of developers will step on their mothers to waste money developing a high-budget 360 game for Japan!

XBOX 360 am teh future!

jj984jj

klee123 said:
oh..........
Yeah... it's unlikely for us to find out how each HW pack sold. :lol

They are likely just included the total PSP HW sales for this week.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
jj984jj said:

I'm trying to figure out what the **** you said and what your point is. I was trying to tell klee what duckroll meant with that TotW number he posted and for whatever reason you are comparing the sales to Blue Dragon?
But you quoted my post. [hint]before you edited it.[/hint]

klee123

jj984jj said:
Yeah... it's unlikely for us to find out how each HW pack sold. :lol

They are likely just included the total PSP HW sales for this week.

Checking out the prices online for these packs, I would be surprised if the packs sold well to be honest.

Software side, I'm somewhat glad that MGS PO and TotW sold reasonably well despite the DS onslaught. Here's hoping the two games will sell well enough for more games released from their respective developers. I certainly wouldn't mind if Kojima Productions makes MGS PO 2.

DeaconKnowledge said:

360 saved! Now droves of developers will step on their mothers to waste money developing a high-budget 360 game for Japan!

XBOX 360 am teh future!

Games are allowed to be sold outside of Japan too.

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
Lost Planet at ~30k according to Sinobi is quite a disappointment imo. After Blue Dragon pushed so much more hardware, the expectation would be that the software sales pick up proportionally as well, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's selling about what pretty much any other major Xbox360 game this year sold. :(
If LP's 30k on the new Xbox is "dissapointing", what's AC4's 30k performance on the new PlayStation equate to?

Jammy said:
When was the last time a PSP game sold over 300,000? I think Portable Ops might be able to do it.
Just for fun, here's all the games who sold over 300k in Japan for recent 2nd place platforms...

PSP
01 Ridge Racers (2004) Namco
02 Minna no Golf Portable (2004) SCEI/Clap Hanz
03 Kahashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu Nou Chikara Trainer Portable (2005) SEGA
04 World Soccer Winning Eleven 9: Ubiquitous Evolution (2005) Konami
05 Monster Hunter Portable (2005) Capcom

GameCube
01 Luigi Mansion (2001) Nintendo
02 Pikmin (2001) Nintendo
03 Super Smash Bros. DX (2001) Nintendo/HAL Laboratory
04 Doubutsu no Mori Plus (2001) Nintendo
05 Biohazard (2002) Capcom
06 Super Mario Sunshine (2002) Nintendo
07 Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet (2002) Nintendo/RARE
08 Mario Party 4 (2002) Nintendo/Hudson
09 Biohazard 0 (2002) Capcom/TOSE Software
10 Zelda no Densetsu: Kaze no Takuto (2002) Nintendo
11 Doubutsu no Mori e-Plus (2003) Nintendo
12 Kirby no Air Ride (2003) Nintendo/HAL Laboratory
13 Tales of Symponia (2003) Namco/Namco Tales Studio
14 Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (2003) Nintendo/Square Enix
15 Atsumare!! Made in Wario (2003) Nintendo/Intelligent Systems
16 Mario Party 5 (2003) Nintendo/Hudson
17 Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (2003) Nintendo
18 Pokemon Colosseum (2003) The Pokemon Company/Genius Sonority
19 Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 2 (2003) TOMY/Eighting
20 Pikmin 2 (2004) Nintendo
21 Paper Mario RPG (2004) Nintendo/Intelligent Systems
22 Donkey Konga (2004) Nintendo/Namco
23 Mario Tennis GC (2004) Nintendo/Camelot Software Planning
24 Mario Party 6 (2004) Nintendo/Hudson
25 Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 3 (2004) TOMY/Eighting
26 Pokemon XD: Yami no Kaze Dark Lugia (2005) The Pokemon Company/Genius Sonority
27 Mario Party 7 (2005) Nintendo/Hudson
28 Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 4 (2005) TOMY/Eighting

Sega Saturn
01 Virtua Fighter (1994) SEGA
02 Panzer Dragoon (1995) SEGA
03 Daytona USA (1995) SEGA
04 Riglord Saga (1995) SEGA/Microcabin Studio
05 World Advanced Daisenryaku: Kotetsu no Ikusakaze (1995) SEGA/Systemsoft
06 Virtua Cop (1995) SEGA
07 Sega Rally Championship (1995) SEGA
08 Virtua Fighter 2 (1995) SEGA
09 Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (1995) Atlus
10 Kidou Senshi Gundam (1995) Bandai/BEC
11 Street Fighter Zero (1996) Capcom
12 Vampire Hunter (1996) Capcom
13 Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei (1996) SEGA
14 Nonomura Byoin no Hitobito (1996) elf
15 Sakura Taisen (1996) SEGA/RED
16 Decathlete (1996) SEGA
17 Tokimeki Memorial: Forever With You (1996) Konami
18 Virtua Cop 2 (1996) SEGA
19 NiGHTS (1996) SEGA
20 Street Fighter Zero 2 (1996) Capcom
21 Fighting Vipers (1996) SEGA
22 Cybertroopers: Virtual On (1996) SEGA
23 EO: Enemy Zero (1996) WARP
24 Puyo Puyo Sun (1997) Compile
25 Shinseiki Evangelion 2nd Impression (1997) SEGA
26 Fighters Megamix (1997) SEGA
27 J-League Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou '97 (1997) SEGA
28 Super Robot Taisen F (1997) Banpresto/Winky Soft
29 Grandia (1997) ESP/GameArts
30 Sakura Taisen 2 (1998) SEGA/RED
31 Super Robot Taisen F Kanketsuhen (1998) Banpresto/Winky Soft
32 Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (1999) Atlus

...for upcoming PSP games with a shot at breaking 300k, I think it's just MGS PortOps, Mingol P2, MHP 2nd and Crisis Core. Radiant Mythology had a nice start, but it won't beat TOE's 250k (probably not even 200k actually).

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Hey, 360's not doing to bad. Chuggin along at 17,213. It'll be a distant 3rd of course, but it might just keep itself afloat for some decent continued support.

Culex

Banned
Impressive numbers for Nintendo!

Some HUGE milestones coming up next week too, and one statistic which is at stake.

Next week, barring any improbable sales, the DS will have an YTD which is DOUBLE that of what it had last year! Incredible!

And if the PSP doesn't muster up another 420k for next week, it will NOT have broken even from last year. Very disappointing!

The Wii is truly a sellout succes this holiday season for Nintendo, applause are in order. It should break 1 million by next week's numbers.

PS3 am cry, seriously. :(

....and Xbox360's best numbers in since launch!

jj984jj

starship said:
But you quoted my post. [hint]before you edited it.[/hint]
Yeah sorry, I did that by mistake. But my reply made no sense to your post anyway. :lol :p

Defuser

jarrod said:
If LP's 30k on the new Xbox is "dissapointing", what's AC4's 30k performance on the new PlayStation equate to?
AC was never a big francise,plus Capcom more talented than the devs of AC.
All i can say is that if LP was on PS3,it would have gotten much more sales.

AdmiralViscen said:
Games are allowed to be sold outside of Japan too.

True, but I am talking about Japan here.

And honestly, do you think most devs are going to waste resources making a Japanese-centric games for the American audience on the 360?

DeaconKnowledge said:
All things considered, XBOX 360 is doing way better than I ever gave it credit for.

That said, Wii and DS are dominating this Christmas. I can't wait to see the New Years' media create thread.

Sony seems to have gotten their production problems handled, and they're doing well, but the Wii is creating a HUGE gap for them to close. We may see some serious megatons in '07.

Are PS3's readily available in Japan yet? Or are they as scarce as Wii's?

(I haven't followed Japan sales in forever)

jj984jj

Defuser said:
1136545639j3UDa5.jpg

Any established franchise should fair better than a new IP.

Defuser said:

So Lost Planet is a big franchise?

No one can really say. Maybe Japanese people aren't interested in an Eastern third person Halo.

Jonnyram

sonycowboy said:
Are PS3's readily available in Japan yet? Or are they as scarce as Wii's?
Readily available? No.
But they're a damned sight easier to get than either Wii or DS.
There's still some 20GB available on amazon.co.jp if you want one ;)
Actually, the 20GB is a LOT less popular than the 60GB. I assume the wireless aspect is what is making it desirable to the Japanese consumers.

DeaconKnowledge said:
True, but I am talking about Japan here.

And honestly, do you think most devs are going to waste resources making a Japanese-centric games for the American audience on the 360?

Capcom seems to be straddling the line quite nicely.

It's not like next-gen developers have much choice, the PS3 is going to take time to kick into gear and has a lousy attach ratio in the meantime.

I just don't see the point of your post, as if anyone EVER expected 360's sales in JAPAN of all places to be the deciding factor in a third party placing a game on it. You're backpedaling now, but the other post was a total waste.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
PS3 has the potential to sell big in Japan, so as the install base grows the software sales will grow too. But 360 is a dead platform there.
Any game would be lucky to sell more than 100k on 360 but many many games will sell that much on PS3 in the coming months and years.

AdmiralViscen said:
Capcom seems to be straddling the line quite nicely.

It's not like next-gen developers have much choice, the PS3 is going to take time to kick into gear and has a lousy attach ratio in the meantime.

I just don't see the point of your post, as if anyone EVER expected 360's sales in JAPAN of all places to be the deciding factor in a third party placing a game on it. You're backpedaling now, but the other post was a total waste.

How exactly am I backpedaling? My post was in response to people who thought that Blue Dragon would turn the tide for development.

Capcom is the exception, not the rule. They have publicly gone on record saying that they will focus more on 360 development because it is an untapped market. Pointing to them as a barometer is foolish.

klee123

jarrod said:

The reason that LP is disappointing is because it's an anticipated game with high production values made from the creators of Onimusha(first game sold a million in Japan alone I believe). Adding extra salt to the wound, they probably spent quite a bit to hire the popular Korean actor Lee byung Hun for the main character to try to appeal the game to the Japanese audiences.(he's very popular in Japan, probably more so than Takeshi Kaneshiro)

Now maybe 30K isn't disappointing by Xbox 360 standards in Japan, but considering the factors behind the game, as I mentioned before, one can't help but expect the game should have sold better.

DeaconKnowledge said:
How exactly am I backpedaling? My post was in response to people who thought that Blue Dragon would turn the tide for development.

Capcom is the exception, not the rule. They have publicly gone on record saying that they will focus more on 360 development because it is an untapped market. Pointing to them as a barometer is foolish.

Blue Dragon is meeting developer expectations, so what is your point exactly? Strawman arguments against XBots who are in the minority and haven't been proven wrong because we don't know what developers are going to do in the future?

How can you in the same breath say that Blue Dragon was supposed to set an example for other developers, and ignore how Capcom is actively setting the example for other developers?

When did I call Capcom a barometer? More strawmen? You said that a Japanese developer on 360 was wasting resources because it's so American-centric, I said that Capcom was succeeding at straddling that line, fullstop. I never made any predictions about what anyone else would do.

jon61586

DeaconKnowledge said:

XBOX 360 am teh future!

Well for the damn system to sell the games need to be there but the developers wont make the games because the system isnt seeling and the system isnt selling because the games arent there and so on and so forth. Microsoft has taken all steps to court the developers now it is time for the developers to take the final step in the equation. But of course (Just my opinion) they dont feel like taking the risk. One game isnt going to sell a system for that long you need to have many many games.

AdmiralViscen said:
Blue Dragon is meeting developer expectations, so what is your point exactly? Strawman arguments against XBots who are in the minority and haven't been proven wrong because we don't know what developers are going to do in the future?

How can you in the same breath say that Blue Dragon was supposed to set an example for other developers, and ignore how Capcom is actively setting the example for other developers?

When did I call Capcom a barometer? More strawmen? You said that a Japanese developer on 360 was wasting resources because it's so American-centric, I said that Capcom was succeeding at straddling that line, fullstop. I never made any predictions about what anyone else would do.

What? Crying 'strawmen' does not an argument make.

Answer me this simple Question, Admiral:

How has Capcom proved that 360 development is worth the effort? What example have they set besides showing third party devs to aim for relatively minimal returns for high investment?

Sakaguchi aimed for 200k lifetime in Japan for Blue Dragon. It looks like BD has barely broken 130k. I apologize if I offended you with my claim that Japanese developers have little incentive to develop for the 360 (which was what Microsoft aimed to prove with Blue Dragon, hence the "save" comments) but this is the reality.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Answer me this simple Question, Admiral:

How has Capcom proved that 360 development is worth the effort? What example have they set besides showing third party devs to aim for relatively minimal returns for high investment?

They sold over a million copies of Dead Rising.

The only scenario in which Capcom could have taken advantage of a multiplatform release of Lost Planet: Extreme Condition is if they waited for the PS3's tie ratio to improve. Surely, Lost Planet is not a better or more appealing game than Resistance. Why would it suddenly sell hundreds of thousands of copies in Japan for the PS3 in December 2006? Capcom will most likely make a significant return on their investment starting in two weeks, when Lost Planet goes on sale in the US. Right now, for better or worse, HD Gaming is pretty much a non-entity saleswise in Japan, comparitively speaking.

DeaconKnowledge said:
We're talking Japan here, CM.
you're talking about Japanese developers developing games for the Xbox 360. capcom selling 1 million copies of Dead Rising over seas isn't going to deter any Japanese devs from supporting the system and it may well encourage more to follow suit.

yes, this is the japanese sales thread, but when talking about developer support you can't just rule out dead rising's overseas performance.

DeaconKnowledge said:
We're talking Japan here, CM.

Okay. In Japan, what's the highest selling HD game to date? Has any of them broken 500k yet? The fact is, for the next Quarter at least, anyone releasing an HD game only in Japan for either the PS3 or the 360 is not going to see a signifificant return on their investment. Capcom has known for a while that the key to making money on these games is worldwide distrbution. I really don't see the point in focusing on HD Game performance in Japan without taking into account HD Game performance worldwide.

Well, granted, this is a Media Create thread, of course. But the conversation so often turns toward Developer Support, and I can't help but think there are many other factors at work than the performance of a game solely in their home base.

jarrod

Banned
Defuser said:
Funny that AC2-3 both sold over 200k on PS2 and even the update discs were routinely cracking 100k. Hell, even the PSP spinoff sold 40k 1st week and you couldn't actually even control the mechs in that one.

Defuser said:
Highly debatable. RR7, Gundam Crossfire and Genji II all similarly outright bombing make it highly questionable LP would've done any better on PS3 at this point really.

klee123 said:
The reason that LP is disappointing is because it's an anticipated game with high production values made from the creators of Onimusha(first game sold a million in Japan alone I believe). Adding extra salt to the wound, they probably spent quite a bit to hire the popular Korean actor Lee byung Hun for the main character to try to appeal the game to the Japanese audiences.(he's very popular in Japan, probably more so than Takeshi Kaneshiro)

Now maybe 30K isn't disappointing by Xbox 360 standards in Japan, but considering the factors behind the game, as I mentioned before, one can't help but expect the game should have sold better.
Oh, I'm not saying the game did exceptionally either... but come on. What do people expect, it's still on Xbox 360. Lost Planet wasn't ever going to do that well in Japan, it's clearly being made primarily for the western market (like Dead Rising).

wonderfuldays said:
Thanks for the information.:)
No problem... just puts into perspective exactly how bad PSP software sales are, when platforms with similarly sized market bases were getting 3 to 4 times the game sales.

Pureauthor said:
Uh, Sakaguchi aimed for 100K sales of BD. It was Microsoft who wanted 200K.
Yep. Sakaguchi's personal goal was 100k, Microsoft Japan's hoping for 200k lifetime though.

plagiarize said:
you're talking about Japanese developers developing games for the Xbox 360. capcom selling 1 million copies of Dead Rising over seas isn't going to deter any Japanese devs from supporting the system and it may well encourage more to follow suit.

yes, this is the japanese sales thread, but when talking about developer support you can't just rule out dead rising's overseas performance.

As far as developing for 360 worldwide, it shouldn't be an issue for any dev.

When it comes to Japanese Centric titles like Blue Dragon, my belief is that no developer will waste their efforts catering to that market.

Dead Rising is a great example of this. It is a game that appeals a little more broadly to American tastes, that was then flipped for the Japanese market.

My argument is that you won't see any more of the OPPOSITE, which would be titles like Blue Dragon that are crafted for the Japanese audience then flipped for the US.

01. DSL 485,584 (+ 51,9%)
02. Wii 279,277 (+ 158,0%)
03. PSP 138,588 (+ 183,1%)
04. PS3 76,882 (+ 8,4%)
05. PS2 46,209 (+ 22,5%)
06. Xbox360 17,213 (+ 0,3%)

Top Bottom