• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 18 - 24 Dec

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
DefectiveReject said:
there's not enough PS3 hardware out there for a game to chart that high yet, unless it was a game EVERYONE wanted!

360 has half the sales of the PS3 but BD = #4 last week. If a system with half the sales can have one game (admittedly it pales in comparison to 130K-esque numbers we're seeing this week) at #4, then an even more popular system with twice the sales should easily have at least 2 titles in the top 40 (I was talking about the top 40 from the beginning, just FYI)

I can feel the console love :)

threeball

Banned
I give ninja 3 two more days, tops before he gets hit with a ban

However he did spice up the thread for some cheap entertainment though with his posts

Jammy

Banned
ninja 3 said:
so you get banned for stating your opinion

You get banned for foolishly and hastily stating your opinion without backing it up. We aren't giving credit where it's not due.

dirtmonkey37 said:
ouch. I feel kind of bad....even though I had no part in this. Poor little guy isn't going to post here anymore.....wait.... :D
It's a really crappy thing to do, when I think about it. He's just going to come back spouting how Nintendo fanboys are ruining the forums or that mods are Nintendo-biased. He didn't seem to have any hate in his posts, just silliness, but he probably will after his ban. Ignoring would've been better in this case, and I wish you guys had done that. (Also, I hate consecutive posts, but I've done it a couple of times by accident, and I hope that's all it was in your case.)

dirtmonkey37 said:
360 has half the sales of the PS3 but BD = #4 last week. If a system with half the sales can have one game (admittedly it pales in comparison to 130K-esque numbers we're seeing this week) at #4, then an even more popular system with twice the sales should easily have at least 2 titles in the top 40 (I was talking about the top 40 from the beginning, just FYI)
But PS3 hasn't double the X360's userbase, nor a game as universally desired as Blue Dragon. Also, sales are much higher this week than when Blue Dragon came out two weeks ago, so a game must do more to chart as well. If Blue Dragon had released this week, it wouldn't have made the top 10.

threeball

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
It's a really crappy thing to do, when I think about it. He's just going to come back spouting how Nintendo fanboys are ruining the forums or that mods are Nintendo-biased. He didn't seem to have any hate in his posts, just silliness, but he probably will after his ban. Ignoring would've been better in this case, and I wish you guys had done that. (Also, I hate consecutive posts, but I've done it a couple of times by accident, and I hope that's all it was in your case.)

he deserved to get banned. those posts were gamefaqs material, and people come here to discuss gaming and get away from the gamefaq-ish like posts akin to what ninja 3 was putting out.

Branduil

So it does look like they shipped significantly more Wii hardware this week. I wonder if that's true for the US as well.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

Hes not gone forever, I gave him a little more time to lurk before offering up his "opinions" again.

Frankly, I'm pretty tired of the mentality that GameFAQS as a unified whole is a bunch of morons.

Sure, the general boards are crap, and NGG is the place where logic goes to die, but you can generally get pretty good discussions on game-specific boards, especially for more obscure games.

Jammy

Banned

How the hell are the mods Nintendo biased? One of 'em red ones conveniently ignored one-third of the next-generation a page back and I luckily backed away.

DefectiveReject said:
Seeing as its sold more in the USA than it has in Japan so far, what do you base your prediction on?

EDIT

I wonder with the continuing great Nintendo reversal and its obvious link to Iwata, when the guy is gonna get some serious industry ass licking?
Or an industry achievement award?
While I like Peter Moore just fine, Iwata really deserved the top spot on Next Gen's most influential list, what with the overwhelming success of the DS, and the amazing year the Wii is having with all the great press and sales.

threeball

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Frankly, I'm pretty tired of the mentality that GameFAQS as a unified whole is a bunch of morons.

Sure, the general boards are crap, and NGG is the place where logic goes to die, but you can generally get pretty good discussions on game-specific boards, especially for more obscure games.

You hit the nail on the head. NGG and the console-specific boards are where any logical reasoning is killed by blind trolling from dozens of alt accounts and fanboyism. Every now and then there are some good discussions on NGG/console-specific boards, but for every good discussion there are 5 worthless discussions.

But you are right about the game-specific boards, they are an asset in times in need.

Brashnir

Pureauthor said:
You get banned for bullshit.

Pretty much. Plus, there's a time and a place for everything. I've stated my opinions on the Wii around here without getting banned, but I don't go polluting sales data threads with those opinions.

STG!

AndoCalrissian said:
While I like Peter Moore just fine, Iwata really deserved the top spot on Next Gen's most influential list, what with the overwhelming success of the DS, and the amazing year the Wii is having with all the great press and sales.

Iwata had a great year, something I wouldn't mind having.

So, to recap this thread, great sales for MGS:pO (why I didn't get this for Christmas is a shock but hey, I got Family Guy :happy: ), the usual for the DS and a nice boost for the Wii. I'm curious to see what's going on with the 360 this week. Are the Blue Dragon bundles still being pushed in Japan?

justchris

Jonnyram said:
1. Pokemon Diamond 209,379 / 2,329,227
2. MGS Portable Ops 178,370
3. Pokemon Pearl 164,670 / 1,931,445
4. New SMB 154,107 / 3,771,128
5. Wii Sports 152,756 / 471,229
6. Mana 4 152,062
7. Kirby Squeak Squad 149,350 / 706,984
8. Love & Berry 139,382 / 747,926
9. Wii Play 137,495 / 439,323
10. Jump Ultimate Stars 134,551 / 484,529

Nice sales this (past) week. MGS:pO did much better than I expected of that franchise in Japan, even for a debut week and the holiday lead-up.

Pokemon and new SMB are still charting especially high, not that that's even remotely surprising.

A little disturbed that Wii Sports managed to (barely) outsell Dawn of Mana in it's debut week. RPGs don't generally have very good legs, and I know the Mana series has gone downhill lately, but I didn't think it'd be that bad. I expected it to top NSMB, but 152k isn't too bad.

I wonder if Love & Berry will even chart next week though. At 747k, they've just about sold out their initial allocation, and I thought they were't producing any new card reader units until after the New Year? That may hurt the sales, temporarily anyway.

ivysaurl12 said:
11. Tales of the World PSP
12. Animal Crossing WW DS
13. Common Sense Training DS
14. More Brain Age DS
15. Tamagachi 2 DS
16. IQ Training DS
17. Mario Kart DS
18. Cooking Navi DS
19. Pokemon Battle Revolution Wii
20. Wario Ware Wii
21. Zelda Wii
22. Brain Age DS
23. Yakuza 2
24. Naruto DS
25. Kanji Training DS
26. Armored Core 4 PS3
27. Lost Planet X360
28. Megaman DS

Disappointing showings for Armored Core & Lost Planet, but not terribly surprising. Everything else is pretty much as expected. So, who wants to take bets on how long it'll be before we see another 3rd party Wii game in the top 10, and what game will it be? Think DQ Swords will do it?

While we're at it, I'm taking odds on the next 360 game in the top 10 and the next PS3 game in the top 10.

dirtmonkey37 said:

I can feel the console love :)
BUT BD is a game that everyone in Japan with a 360 wanted, or was willing to buy a 360 for. Its very Japanese orientated. There is to date nothing like this on the PS3 in Japan.
It's a shame as a little healthy competition is needed all round, and a neck and neck generation this time around is good for all of us!

BrodiemanTTR said:
Right down to the little discs.

Sony third party, etc. confirmed?
They won't be going 3rd party as much as they will just be getting out of the console business. In 2009 or so they'll sell off the Playstation brand and spin off some of their studios. I think if anyone would buy the brand it would be Microsoft as I can't see Nintendo doing it.

Edit: Clarity

MGS:pO will do pretty well for a PSP game. I don't know if it will have legs, but I think it can sell ~500k lifetime. SD4 did good too, I don't think it has legs though.

The Nintenzilla continues to stomp on everything.

ioi has to redo his numbers.

bmf said:
They won't be going 3rd party as much as they will just be getting out of the console business. In 2009 or so they'll sell off the Playstation brand and spin off some of their studios. I think if anyone would buy the brand it would be Microsoft as I can't see Nintendo doing it.
I could see Ninty buying Fumito Ueda's group and Clap Hanz. Maybe Polyphony Digital and a couple of the European studios. Dunno about anything else though.

Kangu

Banned
threeball said:
he deserved to get banned. those posts were gamefaqs material, and people come here to discuss gaming and get away from the gamefaq-ish like posts akin to what ninja 3 was putting out.

my irony meter just blew the **** up.

cvxfreak

Stopsign said:
I just noticed something. When is Yoshi's Island DS coming out in Japan? It is unusual for Nintendo to release a game in America/Europe first. I guess they want to save something for the first quarter in Japan on the DS. Actually, what is coming out in the first quarter for the DS in Japan?

Yeah, I thought that would be this year's equivalent to last year's Mario and Luigi 2 or whatever. On that note, Nintendogs Dalmatian and Friends is MIA in Japan as well.

Considering Nintendo's support for third parties in the west (courting EA, Rockstar, and Ubisoft, holding back on titles for launch), I am wondering if Nintendo of Japan shouldn't do something similar in Japan. Perhaps Wii advertisements which mention and display third party titles, or the like. It seems as if many customers are blind to any games other than those directly from Nintendo (and Square Enix).

cvxfreak

Just noticed that Tamagotchi 2 is also pretty high on the chart this week, above Pokemon Battle Revolution. Maybe it can still sell a million.

BrodiemanTTR said:
Seriously, I'm used to Kirby being on Nintendo's sales B-team with Samus and Donkey Kong.

The people want that long lost GameCube Kirby on the Wii, Nintendo. Make it happen.

Make a full 3D-Kirby on Wii, give it a really great story (as great as a Kirby-story can be, though it could be really cool when you include Meta Knight and others), and make Meta Knight an unlockable alternative playable character.

Kirby could easily hop onto the A-team :p

cvxfreak said:
Just noticed that Tamagotchi 2 is also pretty high on the chart this week, above Pokemon Battle Revolution. Maybe it can still sell a million.
How is Tamagotchi 2? I've never played the first one, but I heard it was a minigame fest with Tamagotchi V3 connectability.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So when does YIDS come out? I'd like to see how it performs since it seems the original did better in Japan than the U.S. (relatively speaking)

bud

Jonnyram said:
2. MGS Portable Ops 178,370

dammedancing01.gif

jesusraz

cvxfreak said:

Yeah, I noticed that as well. What's the game at now? Must be something like 650,000-700,000, I'd guess.

And for those people assuming that Tamagotchi on the Wii is underperforming, they need to remember that it's a party game not related to the Corner Shop series at all. I'd suspect we'll see a Corner Shop on Wii late in 2007...possibly with a Wi-Fi link to a future Corner Shop 3 on DS.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
7. Kirby Squeak Squad 149,350 / 706,984

OK, with this version of Kirby doing this well, it poses a question. Was Canvas Curse's 300 to 400k sales a result of the general blahness of the DS sales at the time, or the fact the game was a huge departure in gameplay? At the time Canvas Curse came out you had a ton of people with DS's and nothing remarkable to play, you'd think lack of any other choice would have boosted it.

Of course, Squeak Squad has the help of a big holiday, but I think Squeak Squad would have outsold Canvas Curse even if the situation was identical. This idea kinda sucks considering the greatness of CC, though.

Top Bottom