• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 25/12 - 31/12

soundwave05 said:
Now that they've figured out the strap issues, perhaps production can start to ramp up. It would be a nice feather in Iwata's cap if he shows up to Nintendo's investors meeting in March and touts 7 million Wiis shipped, above the forcast of 6 million.

I think Nintendo wants to be a little cautious before publically upping sales estimates though, because Jan/Feb/March can be a dry period. If they say 7 million now for instance, but don't get there by March, that would be an ugly PR debacle. If they stick to 6 million, but exceed it, then it's a big win for Nintendo. Remember the GameCube failed to hit the 4 million target that Nintendo set for it by the end of March 2002 (just shy of about 200k).

You know I've seen people mention the strap as potentially slowing production, but I don't think that's really possible. Honestly, I don't think they would have even acknowledged the issue if they really thought it would affect production (or waited until much later to say anything) .

When they announced the recall, they said that consoles would still be coming with the old straps for a while. They weren't even holding up systems waiting for the new ones, they just put a process in place for people to receive new straps if they ended up with an old one, and also cared enough to contact Nintendo about it (which is probably a pretty small number of people).

I know the Wii takes a lot of flack for being low tech, but I just can't imagine everything else is so simple to produce that they were baffled as to how to smoothly switch from a .6 millimeter cord to a 1 millimeter cord.

jesusraz

cvxfreak said:
I'm just out of it today. :(

We all have one of those days...So you might have missed this:

jesusraz said:
And:

31.) Tamagotchi Corner Shop 2 (NDS, Bandai Namco)
32.) Cooking Navi (NDS, Nintendo)
33.) Shiren DS (NDS, Sega)
34.) Formula One Championship Edition (PS3, SCE)
35.) Final Fantasy III (NDS, Square Enix)
36.) Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA, Square Enix)
37.) Kanji IQ Test (NDS, Spike)
38.) Gundam Target in Sight (PS3, Bandai Namco)
39.) World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 (PSP, Konami)
40.) Armoured Cord 4 (PS3, From Software)
41.) Magic Taizen (NDS, Nintendo)
42.) Resistance (PS3, SCE)
43.) Live Power Pro Baseball 13 (PS2, Konami)
44.) Monster Hunter Portable (The Best) (PSP, Capcom)
45.) Ridge Racer 7 (PS3, Bandai Namco)
46.) Formula One 2006 (PS2, SCE)
47.) Rockman Pegasus (NDS, Capcom)
48.) Power Pro Pocket 9 (NDS, Konami)
49.) Chocobo & the Magic Picturebook (NDS, Square Enix)
50.) Wild Arms 5 (PS2, SCE)

EDIT - Here's the hardware sorted as per usual:

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | Total 2006 Sales | Lifetime Sales

1.) Nintendo DS Lite - 176,219 | 485,584 | 7,423,324 | 7,423,324
2.) Nintendo Wii - 96,332 | 279,277 | 919,643 | 919,643
3.) PlayStation 3 - 71,727 | 76,882 | 457,558 | 457,558
4.) PlayStation Portable - 68,675 | 138,588 | 1,849,173 | 4,532,129
5.) PlayStation 2 - 38,169 | 46,209 | 1,450,235 | 20,154,859
6.) Xbox 360 - 16,909 | 17,213 | 194,136 | 264,702
7.) Game Boy micro - 2,082 | 2,394 | 144,241 | 559,930
8.) Game Boy Advance SP - 1,743 | 1,858 | 220,746 | 5,915,040
9.) GameCube - 847 | 1,250 | 75,878 | 4,169,468
10.) Nintendo DS - 102 | 380 | 935,406 | 6,582,355
11.) Game Boy Advance - 51 | 57 | 3,459 | 8,823,109
12.) Xbox - 4 | 11 | 1,770 | 475,613

OP should update the first post for newcomers to the thread... :)

Wait a minute: what's this then?

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10023187316.html

Hardware
NDS ~300k (large shipment last week)
Wii ~150k (still shortage)
PS3 ~60k (supply > demand)

Software
NDS
------------------------------
Brain Training 2 ~100k
General Knowledge Training ~100k (LTD > 1m)
Dragon Quest Monster Joker ~300k (LTD ~900k)
Kirby, Love and Berry DS (LTD ~800k)
Pokemon (LTD > 4.5m)
NSMB (LTD > 4m next week)
Jump Ultimate Stars (LTD > 600k, higher than last game)
Mario Kart DS (LTD ~1.9m)
English Training (LTD ~1.6m)

Wii
-------------------------------
Wii Sports ~150k (LTD ~700k)
Wii Play ~120k (LTD ~600k)
Wario (LTD ~250k)
Pokemon (LTD ~150k)
Dragon Ball Z Sparking Neo ~40k

PS3
--------------------------------
RR7, Gundam (LTD ~100k)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
DeaconKnowledge said:

Hardware

Software
NDS
Brain Training 2 ~100k
Pokemon (LTD > 4.5m)

Wii
Wario (LTD ~250k)
Pokemon (LTD ~150k)

PS3
RR7, Gundam (LTD ~100k)

That would be the Sinobi data for the week of 1/1 to 1/7.

Parl

DeaconKnowledge said:

Hardware

Why is it that Wii is THIS popular, and sells out so damn quickly at this point, yet word of mouth has barely even tied its laces? Yet PS3 is sitting on shelves and barely selling? It's have more appeal once its price goes down and games come out, but then again, once Wii word of mouth gets around, and the games come out, then PS3 can settle down to be the next PSP.

This is scary. Unless I force myself to be myopic and conventional, I cannot see how anyone could think Wii will not dominate this upcoming generation.

Busaiku

DeaconKnowledge said:

Hardware

Software
NDS
Brain Training 2 ~100k
Pokemon (LTD > 4.5m)

Wii
Wario (LTD ~250k)
Pokemon (LTD ~150k)

PS3
RR7, Gundam (LTD ~100k)
Nice legs for Dragon Quest Monsters.
Hmm, kind of a small start for Sparking Neo, but that's probably just indacitive of the hardware (and also there was a previous iteration of this on a systme with a larger user base).

DeaconKnowledge said:
My guess is it will break 1 million next week. 3 weeks to a million seems reasonable, especially if it sold 600k first week.

My specific predictions:

300+k second week
220k third week

Looks like i'm right so far.

enishi

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
A lot of fresh informations. Thanks !!! I don't believe that the Wii is selling so well. What about Zelda ?

Sinobi didn't mention it. But due to the fact that Zelda is selling better than Wario in recent weeks, it is safe to estimate that its LTD is over 300k (in Denki number, and probably for MC number this week)

Jammy

Banned
enishi said:

Hardware

Software
NDS
Brain Training 2 ~100k
Pokemon (LTD > 4.5m)

Wii
Wario (LTD ~250k)
Pokemon (LTD ~150k)

PS3
RR7, Gundam (LTD ~100k)

Wii Sports and Wii Play should each cross a million within the next month or so. That's amazing. And it's also really good to see Wii's third party games not doing horribly bad. DBZ: BT2 sold nearly half the amount that PS3's biggest sellers have sold, not to mention it's basically a port and has last generation assets. I can't wait to see what games like DQSwords pull in.

Also, speaking about million-sellers, Kirby: Squeak Squad, Love and Berry DS Collection, and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker all should reach that mark fairly soon. Amazing.

Jokeropia

enishi said:

Hardware

Software
NDS
Brain Training 2 ~100k
Pokemon (LTD > 4.5m)

Wii
Wario (LTD ~250k)
Pokemon (LTD ~150k)

PS3
RR7, Gundam (LTD ~100k)
Great stuff. I really hope that Nintendo can keep up the supply of Wii and beat their forecast.

elostyle said:
Third parties seriously missed the boat here.

In regards to the Wii, it probably would be better for 3rd parties to wait. Even Zelda is struggling having to deal with limited Wii stock and everyone buying Wii Sports + Wii Play (w/second controller).

Now as far as Feb/March/April/May/June 2007 ... yes, some third parties may be kicking themselves for not having any Wii content or not enough by then.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
soundwave05 said:
In regards to the Wii, it probably would be better for 3rd parties to wait. Even Zelda is struggling having to deal with limited Wii stock and everyone buying Wii Sports + Wii Play (w/second controller).

Now as far as Feb/March/April/May/June 2007 ... yes, some third parties may be kicking themselves for not having any Wii content or not enough by then.
I have 3 Wii games, all nintendo games and I'm about ready to buy something new now. I'm sure I'm not alone.

donny2112

This will be the last week I show the third set of numbers on this graph. Suffice it to say, the DS is way ahead of the PSP and way ahead of last year.

JPNHandhelds-7.png

For a monthly take on the handheld numbers ...

JPNHandhelds_monthly.png

Console numbers. The 360 has been remarkably steady the last few weeks. If ~15K became the new norm, how crazy would that be? :lol :D

JPNConsoles-2.png

Jammy

Banned
elostyle, I agree. If you don't have Trauma Center: Second Opinion and don't own the DS game then that should definitely be your next purchase.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Jammy said:
elostyle, I agree. If you don't have Trauma Center: Second Opinion and don't own the DS game then that should definitely be your next purchase.
Will be once it's out in europe.

JavyOO7

elostyle said:
I have 3 Wii games, all nintendo games and I'm about ready to buy something new now. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Don't have a Wii yet but I played some of its games...

Trauma Center, if you liked the DS version
Rayman, for the multiplayer with buddies
Super Monkey Ball, just for single player. Some multiplayer games were great, most were miss IMO.
Elebits, though I haven't played it, seems awesome from the video review IGN did a couple weeks ago.

KINGMOKU

Parl said:
Why is it that Wii is THIS popular, and sells out so damn quickly at this point, yet word of mouth has barely even tied its laces? Yet PS3 is sitting on shelves and barely selling? It's have more appeal once its price goes down and games come out, but then again, once Wii word of mouth gets around, and the games come out, then PS3 can settle down to be the next PSP.

This is scary. Unless I force myself to be myopic and conventional, I cannot see how anyone could think Wii will not dominate this upcoming generation.
It seems like that now, but things in this industry are unpredictable as hell.

If everything stays as it is for the upcoming months, the Wii could be hitting just downright scary milestones very early in its lifespan.

I just got done reading an article about European demand bieng higher after the new year for the Wii, then before it.

Thats insane.

I really wonder what the industry landscape is going to look like in 6months. Is it going to be the way the DS was? When everyone was just amazed, week in, and week out, and then just accept it?

Or will the industry shift yet again, turing everything upside down?

Pureauthor said:
Man the Wii sales are erratic.
I was going to come in and comment that it reminds me of the original DS launch, so it's probably just a commonality in the way launch supplies were handled. Actually making the line graph, though... that's truer than I imagined. Wii's first 5 weeks are like DS's first 5 weeks, minus 100K each week. Of course, for that to hold up much longer, people will have to start returning dozens of thousands of Wiis each week.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
JoshuaJSlone said:
I was going to come in and comment that it reminds me of the original DS launch, so it's probably just a commonality in the way launch supplies were handled. Actually making the line graph, though... that's truer than I imagined. Wii's first 5 weeks are like DS's first 5 weeks, minus 100K each week. Of course, for that to hold up much longer, people will have to start returning dozens of thousands of Wiis each week.
So I guess it's safe to assume that the PS3 will start outselling the Wii after the next chart and will continue until Easter? :D

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Fuzzy said:
So I guess it's safe to assume that the PS3 will start outselling the Wii after the next chart and will continue until Easter? :D

I think it's plausible given a Wii shortage :lol

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
JoshuaJSlone said:

I just noticed the same thing. Two huge spikes in the first 5 weeks. The troubling issue with the DS was that it was behind the PSP after that until June of the same year (Brain Training). The question now is whether the Wii will follow the same model and lie dormant for nearly 6 months before it's big guns come out. At this moment, I'm thinking it looks likely.

Another interesting thing is the effect of Brain Training on the DS and what that might mean for the Wii. Is there a "Brain Training" for the Wii? Will Wii Sports cut it for that momentum-building effect that BT did for the DS? Once it launched on the DS, the sales never looked back at the PSP except for one or two shipping issues the following January.

As always, it comes down to games. You think the Wii can put out enough in its first year to follow the same model?

Clouseau

PantherLotus said:
As always, it comes down to games. You think the Wii can put out enough in its first year to follow the same model?

Is Dragon Quest Swords really coming out this spring in Japan? If so I think that could possibly be HUGE.

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
The troubling issue with the DS was that it was behind the PSP after that until June of the same year (Brain Training).

Kirby put the DS ahead for a few weeks before Nintendogs started a long (37 weeks) string of DS leads in late April. Brain Training came out in May.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
donny: Yeah I just noticed that. I was looking at the wrong part of your chart. Needless to say, Nintendogs was mega-huge, and Brain Training was huge as well. Animal Crossing heading into the holiday didn't hurt either.

q*bert said:
Is Dragon Quest Swords really coming out this spring in Japan? If so I think that could possibly be HUGE.

DQS could be big, if the story is good and the experience is different while remaining faithful to the series. The official site has me convinced that it's going to be HUGE, though. I'm ****ing excited.

I also think Health Pack could be the BT for the Wii, capitalizing on what Wii Sports has already started. People are going to throw out Metroid and SSBM as big ones, but while I agree that they will probably hit a million, I'm not convinced that is exactly what Nintendo needs to make a DS-style success. It's all about the easy to pick-up games for this market. The heavy hitters like Metroid and Mario will always sell, but it's those little shitters nobody expected that pick up steam and are defining the generation.

Mar

PantherLotus said:
I also think Health Pack could be the BT for the Wii

I firmly believe that will be the game to make the Wii explode. It will be a world wide phenomenon. You thought the Wii got good press now. Wait until Oprah and all those other crappy shows do a whole program talking about the Wii.

Rlan

Nice to see Xbox 360 sort of keeping some momentum. Even if they hold onto 15,000 a week for a while, I think they might be a bit happy. Happier at least.

Wondering if anything BUT Blue Dragon is selling though.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Rlan said:
Nice to see Xbox 360 sort of keeping some momentum. Even if they hold onto 15,000 a week for a while, I think they might be a bit happy. Happier at least.

Wondering if anything BUT Blue Dragon is selling though.

This is a better way of saying what jimbo was trying to say earlier, and I actually agree. How long can this 18k-per-week thing last, though?

moku said:
It seems like that now, but things in this industry are unpredictable as hell.

If everything stays as it is for the upcoming months, the Wii could be hitting just downright scary milestones very early in its lifespan.

I just got done reading an article about European demand bieng higher after the new year for the Wii, then before it.

Thats insane.

I really wonder what the industry landscape is going to look like in 6months. Is it going to be the way the DS was? When everyone was just amazed, week in, and week out, and then just accept it?

Or will the industry shift yet again, turing everything upside down?

It is pretty strange how Europe has quietly gone Nintendo crazy. It's been kinda under the radar with the success in Japan, but thats a market that seems ripe for Nintendo to make serious inroads in also.

Sing Star and party games in general tend to really fly in Europe. Nintend should look into making Wii Soccer (as a standalone game) ... something that has real teams and a 4-player (or even 8 player mode), but is easy enough to play for anyone.

Right now, the way things are, the market is being rattled in ways we've never seen before. This generation will spill the blood of many fanboys.

jimbo

Banned
PantherLotus said:
This is a better way of saying what jimbo was trying to say earlier, and I actually agree. How long can this 18k-per-week thing last, though?

It won't. It will be lucky to stay over 10k as right now BD won't be enough. It will need something else soon along with BD to keep things going.

I am awfully curious to see how GOW will perform though. Can it outsell Japanese Halo? GOW might bring on some of those western world Japanese citizens that bought all those Halo copies :lol

Top Bottom