• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 01/19 - 01/25

jeremy1456

Spiegel said:
Strangest?

Company X wants to do a ps2-level game of a ps2 saga.
Company X has two viable options "comparable" to ps2
Company X makes a decision to do the game on one of the two because of multiple factors (userbase, budget, how much previous games have sold on the console,...)

How is that reasoning strange? I think it's pretty simple.

There are other factors too that you're not considering. The game in question might have been thought up with waggle/pointer in mind, or maybe it just wouldn't work very well on a handheld or vice versa.

I imagine that 'wanting to do a PS2-level game' isn't even a factor, in fact, I would be surprised if that's even one of the first things brought up. If they choose that direction to save money then why not simply put it on the DS?

I've never understood your reasoning in the past, so why don't we just agree to disagree?

Spiegel

Are you doing this on purpouse or are you just dense?

Of course a company doesn't think on doing a ps2-level game, but they are used to do ps2 games. They want to make a new game but hd consoles are expensive so, what are the viable options? PSP, DS and WII. Ds is a limited 3d machine and in most cases with 3d games shouldn't be worth the effort because they can reuse PS2 assets on psp/wii without downgrading that much (if any)

YES, they have to consider other factors (waggle) but these aren't usually decisive because they did well without waggle 5 years ago. So realistically they have two good enough options: psp and wii
If both consoles are selling well how are not psp and wii the most direct competition IN JAPAN?

jeremy1456

Spiegel said:
Are you doing this on purpouse or are you just dense?

Of course a company doesn't think on doing a ps2-level game, but they are used to do ps2 games. They want to make a new game but hd consoles are expensive so, what are the viable options? PSP, DS and WII. Ds is a limited 3d machine and in most cases with 3d games shouldn't be worth the effort because they can reuse PS2 assets on psp/wii without downgrading that much (if any)

YES, they have to consider other factors (waggle) but these aren't usually decisive because they did well without waggle 5 years ago. So realistically they have two options: psp and wii
If both consoles are selling well how are not psp and wii the most direct competition IN JAPAN?

:lol

You're getting a little too worked up man. Calm down.

You've already made up your mind what to believe. I guess there's no point in continuing this conversation.

noonche

jeremy1456 said:
I imagine that 'wanting to do a PS2-level game' isn't even a factor, in fact, I would be surprised if that's even one of the first things brought up.

Actually, given the amount of work it takes to get a well functioning tool chain and asset creation process in place, I imagine that many Japanese developers that didn't jump up to HD consoles are still set up for doing PS2-calibur work. Re-doing all of this to work for DS (or PS3/360) isn't simple. You've got to get artists, designers, programmers, etc all thinking and working differently. I could see this friction against changing development processes being a real factor for Japanese studios.

Cipherr

Spiegel said:
Strangest?

Company X wants to do a ps2-level game of a ps2 saga.
Company X has two viable options "comparable" to ps2
Company X makes a decision to do the game on one of the two because of multiple factors (userbase, budget, how much previous games have sold on the console,...)

How is that reasoning strange? I think it's pretty simple.

I think its a hell of alot more likely that they would downgrade to the highest selling gaming machine in Japanese history that sells a truckload of software (DS) rather than make it on the PSP in your scenario. That just doesn't add up, theres no real reason from a business perspective that they would all jump aboard the PSP and not the DS. Even if they were set up for PS2 level development. Jumping on to the DS would be a hell of alot easier to adjust to than ramping up to 360PS3 design would be. And the DS release would be a shit ton more safe in terms of your chance for success.

The threads been good so far, but now your just entering crazy town.

alske said:
Actually, given the amount of work it takes to get a well functioning tool chain and asset creation process in place, I imagine that many Japanese developers that didn't jump up to HD consoles are still set up for doing PS2-calibur work. Re-doing all of this to work for DS (or PS3/360) isn't simple. You've got to get artists, designers, programmers, etc all thinking and working differently. I could see this friction against changing development processes being a real factor for Japanese studios.

Any shifting that needed to be made in order to accommodate DS development would have happened long ago friend. The DS didnt just catch fire a year ago.... this thing has been bulldozing the Japanese market for years, these hypothetical devs your mentioning would have already made the necessary adjustments a LONG time ago. Way back when the DS started taking the software charts from the PS2 in Japan. The PSP is the newcomer to the "bright success" area, not the DS.

Spiegel

The point is: Are Wii and PSP the most direct competitors in Japan?
In this pretty common scenario: A company doing ps2 games wants to make a new game on a new console. They have ps2 engines and assets, 360/PS3 development is expensive and both consoles sell badly.

So, if I have understood correctly in your mind (and in jeremy1456's) you think third parties have two options: The first is OBVIOUSLY doing a Wii or DS game. The second is if they decide ds has not enough power for the game they would never think about doing a psp game.

Is this correct? Because if you think differently you are agreeing with my point

Crazy town indeed

noonche

Puncture said:
Any shifting that needed to be made in order to accommodate DS development would have happened long ago friend. The DS didnt just catch fire a year ago.... this thing has been bulldozing the Japanese market for years, these hypothetical devs your mentioning would have already made the necessary adjustments a LONG time ago. Way back when the DS started taking the software charts from the PS2 in Japan. The PSP is the newcomer to the "bright success" area, not the DS.

I agree for the most part, but I think my point still stands. It costs a lot of money to shuffle your organization around and reconstruct your tool-chain. If a team was set up for PS2 (which was viable up through 2007) and had planned to switch over to Wii/PS3/360 (such as the Tales team), I think it's more likely that they would move to Wii/PSP then DS.

ccbfan

Spiegel said:
So, if I have understood correctly in your mind (and in jeremy1456's) you think third parties have two options: The first is OBVIOUSLY doing a Wii or DS game. The second is if they decide ds has not enough power for the game they would never think about doing a psp game.

I think a lot of media create regulars think this way or feel it should be this way.

Puncture said:
I think its a hell of alot more likely that they would downgrade to the highest selling gaming machine in Japanese history that sells a truckload of software (DS) rather than make it on the PSP in your scenario. That just doesn't add up, theres no real reason from a business perspective that they would all jump aboard the PSP and not the DS. Even if they were set up for PS2 level development. Jumping on to the DS would be a hell of alot easier to adjust to than ramping up to 360PS3 design would be. And the DS release would be a shit ton more safe in terms of your chance for success.

The threads been good so far, but now your just entering crazy town.

LOL that was quick. We already forgot the recent sales and PSP is again not worth changing development for.

Also the reason I posted what I posted even though people were praising TOTW2 was to show how much of an over performance a PSP game needs to do to get any short term recognition. Which is why I stated people are thinking up of excuses (as in they haven't used it yet but will in the future, too soon to use them now.). Cause people are soon gonna forget these numbers and PSP will return being the "system not worth developing for". Soon when someone mentions S-E should make a FFCC for PSP (s)he'll be jump on by the other posters. Where the fact that Capcom games that bombed 5 years ago that you can't buy new anymore means Capcom should never put anything other than Monster Hunter on the PSP.

Also for the 6 excuses I accused people of making, obviously they were exaggerations but all but 1 (number 3) are based on arguments used against the PSP before.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
A small comparison:

psptop10-114.png

DStop10-114.png

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
bttb said:
01. [PSP] Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2 (Bandai Namco) 213,000 / NEW

Sweet, here is hoping that Radiant Mythology 2 CRUSHES all the other Tales sales in the past 5 years.

t3nmilez

I really don't know why Square keeps using the Crystal Chronicles name, does it really have any worth? I know some people who refuse to touch the series because they hated the Gamecube game. I recently was talking to my friends about TCB, they said that they weren't interested despite knowing absolutely nothing about the game. After showing them the trailer, they were like "yeah, maybe it'll be good, I won't get my hopes up though". These guys are huge RPG fans too (hell, one of them is buying a 360 just for SO4).

farnham

Banned
t3nmilez said:
I really don't know why Square keeps using the Crystal Chronicles name, does it really have any worth? I know some people who refuse to touch the series because they hated the Gamecube game. I recently was talking to my friends about TCB, they said that they weren't interested despite knowing absolutely nothing about the game. After showing them the trailer, they were like "yeah, maybe it'll be good, I won't get my hopes up though". These guys are huge RPG fans too (hell, one of them is buying a 360 just for SO4).
well the franchise does have semi strong sales..

and all the games are connected (4 tribes and stuff like that)

i think the GC game was a splendid effort and i love them to drive the series further as i loved ring of fates as well..

test_account

XP-39C²
kiruyama said:
where's fragile.....

:( x 2000
Indeed :( I really wish that Fragile will sell better. I think it is sad to see when someone uses like 2 years on developing a game (the developers of Fragile said Fragile was a 2 year project or something if i am not mistaken) and then the game doesnt end up selling so good :( If the sales on Fragile doesnt go up in Japan, then i hope that Fragile will sell well in the rest of the world at least :)

shykyoichi said:
How long has this game been in the top 30?
I dont know about how long Inazuma Eleven for the DS has been in the top 30 when it comes to the Media Create numbers, but according to Garaph.info's Famitsu numbers, Inazuma Eleven has been within the top 30 for 14 weeks :)

http://garaph.info/softwareindividual.php?gameid=3159

The latest update on Garaph.info on Inazuma Eleven for the DS is at 2008-12-22, so unfortunately i dont know if Inazuma Eleven has been within the top 30 when it comes to the Famitsu numbers since then :\

:)

EDIT: I added some text.

Top Bottom