• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 01/19 - 01/25

Eteric Rice

You know, seeing as how prices of just about every video game in Japan drops pretty quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if most Japanese people didn't just wait until a price collapse for most games.

It happens so fast, there's no reason to buy on day 1, really.

jarrod

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
You know, seeing as how prices of just about every video game in Japan drops pretty quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if most Japanese people didn't just wait until a price collapse for most games.
I don't think that phenomenon's limited to Japan... more and more, that's what I'm doing too. :lol

markatisu

jarrod said:
I don't think that phenomenon's limited to Japan... more and more, that's what I'm doing too. :lol

Same here, why rush to get a game when the publisher and store will just offer gift cards or drop the price $10-20 (as Ubisoft and EA do regularly for their big titles)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Eteric Rice said:

Same thing happens here:
www.videogamepricecharts.com

I rarely pay more than 25-30 dollars for a game.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
At first I didn't think you were serious,

I don't have access to my database, at the moment. Also, I think Captain Smoker or bttb would have a better idea of total software in Japan through the most current week. Thanks for the links, though! I should be able to figure out approximate 1st-party sales through the end of 2008 from your website, and GEIMIN.net has total figures through 2008 in Famitsu.

~ Total software @ end of 2008 not from 1st-parties:
Wii - 6.98 million
PS3 - 6.71 million
360 - 3.15 million

Therefore using the criteria that we have access to for the U.S. (total third-party sales), the Wii is already ahead. Of course having a userbase > PS3 + 360 twice over probably helps some. :D

Spiegel

Famitsu Top 10 01/26-02/01

1. PSP Tales of The World Radiant Mythology 2 (Namco Bandai) / NEW
2. PSP World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009 (Konami) / NEW
3. DS Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time (Square Enix) / NEW
4. PS2 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009 (Konami) / NEW
5. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (Capcom)
6. WII Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time (Square Enix) / NEW
7. WII Taiko no Tatsujin Wii (Namco Bandai)
8. DS Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo)
9. WII Mario Tennis GC Wii play in (Nintendo)
10. WII Wii Fit (Nintendo)

Eteric Rice said:

Well, it kind of gets over-stated here. If you live in one of the big cities, then yeah, you can count on a price drop on a fair bit of stuff within a short amount of time, particularly in Akiba and Denden, but if you're not in one of the major hubs of Japan, the prices almost never drop within any reasonable timeframe. The only quick bargain-binners I've seen in the town I live in were NiGHTS: JoD, NiGHTS PS2, and Captain Rainbow.

A more typical pattern is that the store hangs onto weak sellers as long as they can, then dumps them all 8 months later for 1000-2000 yen, or lump them into a New Year's or Golden Week sale.

RpgN

donny2112 said:
The unreliable, but usually pretty close, http://thedrill.no-blog.jp/dblog/ has updated, if anyone wants to get an idea of how the Top 10 did.

Ouch, they're talking about how FFCC EOT is not selling at all and how there are lots of copies left.

1. TOW2- 210k
2/3. WSWE9- 110k
4. FFCC EOT DS- 100k
5/6. MHP 2nd Best and Taiko no Tatsujin- 22k
7. FFCC EOT Wii- 20k
8/9. Rhythm Tengoku Gold and Mario Tennis- 20k as well
10. Wii Fit- Less than 20k

*Quickly done.

Spiegel

cw_sasuke said:
Wow@TotW2 :eek:

Yeah, if the number is true I think schuelma will agree with me about TotW:RM2 easily outselling all the ds/wii/psp Tales now :p

And PES 2009 PSP has sold 35k more than last year in the first week (in MC numbers)

Hey, Namco might actually make that main Tales game for the PSP like they should have done. Or they could port Tales of Symphonia like they probably want to.

RpgN

Spiegel said:
Yeah, if the number is true I think schuelma will agree with me about TotW:RM2 easily outselling all the ds/wii/psp Tales now :p

Is this 100% selI-through? Are there other games who had such a high sell-through?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Spiegel said:

And PES 2009 PSP has sold 35k more than last year in the first week (in MC numbers)

If true then absolutely. That would be a stunning number.

botticus

RpgN said:
Is this 100% selI-through? Are there other games who had such a high sell-through?
If that number and the first-day sell through were accurate, it got a second shipment. First shipment was under 200k.

Taiko is well on its way to taking the Wii 3rd party crown (dunce cap?) from DQS.

RpgN

Thanks guys, any idea about how large the second shipment is?

EDIT

Never mind. I'm asking too detailed questions for now XD hopefully we'll get MCS and Famitsu numbers soon.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ahahahhaha echoes of time to be SE's biggest bomb as a combined company confirmed.

I thought TLR would take that title because of their undoubtedly massive cash loss on it, but it sold well enough in Japan and didn't fail at retail there. EOT is going to be overshipped worldwide.

oh man!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Stumpokapow said:
ahahahhaha echoes of time to be SE's biggest bomb as a combined company confirmed.

I thought TLR would take that title because of their undoubtedly massive cash loss on it, but it sold well enough in Japan and didn't fail at retail there. EOT is going to be overshipped worldwide.

oh man!

I doubt SE will lose money on EoT, after all it`s just a cash-on on ring of fates...they will still make money with it...

schuelma

Jonnyram said:
Jesuschristwearenotgettingninjabladenumbersatallarewe?

Looks like you might have to wait for the Famitsu top 30 leak

Spiegel

Sinobi

TotW:RM2 210k (7th best psp first week ever)
FFCC WII 23k
FFCC DS 102k
PES 2009 PSP 102k
PES 2009 PS2 102k

No numbers for Ninja Blade, sorry Jonnyram

RpgN

Spiegel said:
Sinobi

FFCC WII 23k
FFCC DS 102k
PES 2009 PSP 102k
PES 2009 PS2 102k

No numbers for Ninja Blade, sorry Jonnyram

The numbers are very close (and exact the same for TOW2) on that link. I wonder where that blog gets the numbers from.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cw_sasuke said:
I doubt SE will lose money on EoT, after all it`s just a cash-on on ring of fates...they will still make money with it...

Sure, but retailers won't--and that's an issue as well.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Sinobi

Wow, great great numbers there. PSP definitely deserving of a mainline Tales title.

If Namco doesn't give PSP a mainline Tales, they're beyond redemption, the sales of ToW RM 2 completely shame those of recent Tales games which means the fanbase is obviously there... but I believe one will come after these excellent sales.

It isn't going to be pretty for FFCC EoT, there's at least 200k copies of the DS alone sitting on the shelves.

Also I hope this week finally ends all the stupid comments last few weeks using first day shipments to measure absolute success and/or publisher expectations. TOW got a 2nd shipment in less than 4 days, WE2009 is about total sold out on both PSP and PS2 if they didn't get one (which I'm sure they did though) and SE overshipped FFCC bigtime burning their and retailer hands in the process.

Oh and PSP users have a crush on Alfa System definitely :/

farnham

Banned
Magicpaint said:
If Namco doesn't give PSP a mainline Tales, they're beyond redemption, the sales of ToW RM 2 completely shame those of recent Tales games which means the fanbase is obviously there... but I believe one will come after these excellent sales.
the tales fanbase is all over the place..

namco bandai really needs to stop whoring out the games on all systems..

its really a shame that such great games like tales of innocence or tales of vesperia did get so low sales because of previous games (Tales of Tempest) or the lackluster sales of the console its on..

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, strong legs for RM2. They really need to see if a mothership title would do as well.

EoT DS did well too getting to near double the first day but it's still a complete bomb. S-E completely overshipped. :lol

markatisu

Stopsign said:
No Fragile means it's at least under 20k.

Well there was only about 10k left of the original shipment, who knows is they decided to send a 2nd shipment with the low initial order

farnham said:
the tales fanbase is all over the place..

namco bandai really needs to stop whoring out the games on all systems..

its really a shame that such great games like tales of innocence or tales of vesperia did get so low sales because of previous games (Tales of Tempest) or the lackluster sales of the console its on..
I agree, so since the fanbase is most present on the PSP (judging by the sales) then they should move the series to PSP ;)

markatisu said:
Well there was only about 10k left of the original shipment, who knows is they decided to send a 2nd shipment with the low initial order

Yup - we'll need to see the top 30 first, but it was really unlikely they would send a second shipment that was nearly as large as the first when the first still hadn't sold out. Under 20k was guaranteed.

Vinnk

jj984jj said:
EoT DS did well too getting to near double the first day but it's still a complete bomb. S-E completely overshipped. :lol

Good. Low effort should equal low sales. However I do worry that is is tainting the CC brand and might hurt the sales of FFCC:TCB a game that actually looks like it deserves good sales.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Vinnk said:
Good. Low effort should equal low sales. However I do worry that is is tainting the CC brand and might hurt the sales of FFCC:TCB a game that actually looks like it deserves good sales.

If there was a risk of that, focus testing would reveal it and the P&L people would get antsy and demand action. I wouldn't worry.

markatisu

Second said:
A Tales of game on PSP selling better than a Final Fantasy game on Wii and DS?

wow

Yeah because the games were similar in any, way, shape or form :lol

How you can even preface FFCC EoT as a Wii game is just funny

Sage00

Once And Future Member
markatisu said:
Yeah because the games were similar in any, way, shape or form :lol

How you can even preface FFCC EoT as a Wii game is just funny
They are actually pretty similar.. sequels to a spin off of a well established RPG series on a handheld. Perhaps not the Wii version.

poor numbers for echoes of time but a reasonable recovery from its first day i can see this title having reasonable legs and those hundreds of thousands of copies on the shelves will eventually sell it just depends how quickly the price crashes before we can really say if its a bomba, very impressed by the psp tales doing so well especially the fact its blasted past TOH's first week though i guess thats mainly as ds games have far more competition than psp games

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Captain Smoker said:
Random, but who cares. xD

WonderSwan Software:

Statistics:
Games: 68
Units: 2.995.343
Average: 44.049
Wow, Rockman Exe bombed hard. And Rockman & Forte: Challenger From the Future didn't even chart. Wonder if/when Capcom will port those games.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Spiegel said:
Sinobi

<3

The First game is one of my favorite PSP games ever, so it is good seeing numbers like this.

Magicpaint said:

To be fair, it is Namco, and they made stupid decisions non-stop.

Like not going mutiplatform for Vesperia and releasing a shitload of tales games on the PSP (and only localizing Radiant Mythology 1, which, to be fair outsold Tales of Abyss and Tales of Rebirth).

donny2112 said:
Thanks for the links, though! I should be able to figure out approximate 1st-party sales through the end of 2008 from your website, and GEIMIN.net has total figures through 2008 in Famitsu.

~ Total software @ end of 2008 not from 1st-parties:
Wii - 6.98 million
PS3 - 6.71 million
360 - 3.15 million
Hmm. Those numbers would surprise me, if true. Just looking at it as an increase from what I've got in Garaph...

X360: +8%
That this is so low I don't find TOO surprising; thanks to X360-specific sales updates I've weirdly got a better idea of more games for this platform in Japan than the other two.

PS3: +20%
Wii: +42%
But why would Wii have such a higher "hidden" third party sales percentage than PS3?

Eteric Rice said:

Heh. Wasn't it Iwata a couple years ago talking about how predictable software price drops were a Bad Idea because it makes consumers do this? Though there's not a lot that can be done to prevent a price collapse.

Vinnk said:
However I do worry that is is tainting the CC brand and might hurt the sales of FFCC:TCB a game that actually looks like it deserves good sales.
Yeah, same thing I was thinking.
Stumpokapow said:
If there was a risk of that, focus testing would reveal it and the P&L people would get antsy and demand action. I wouldn't worry.
P&L?

Top Bottom