• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/09 - 02/15

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I've been playing the first Radiant Mythology since Saturday. Is Japan really that fond of dungeon crawlers, or is the Tales of fanservice really enough to push it through?

Nevertheless, it is quite nice to see it RM2 beating Echoes of Time for morbid reasons.

Star Ocean (SNES) - 8,925Y
Star Ocean 2 (PSX) - 7,140Y
Star Ocean 3 (PS2) - 8,190Y
Star Ocean 4 (360) - 8,925Y

We have come a full cycle. Tear-shredding moment.

RpgN

Regulus Tera said:
I've been playing the first Radiant Mythology since Saturday. Is Japan really that fond of dungeon crawlers, or is the Tales of fanservice really enough to push it through?

Past Tales of the World games sold between 100-120k on the gba, and other fanservice Tales games like Tales of Fandom were not selling much compared to the main ones on PS(2). I think it indeed comes from the type of game that is close to MH, psp fans are into dungeon crawl games and with multiplayer prefered. ToW1&2 and PSP benefited from MH's success. 300k is a given now, Spiegel was right.

I'm really astounded by Demon's Souls performance @_@ I thought it was sent to die.

SFIV is doing well compared to other fighting games, but do you guys think that capcom might have expected/wanted more? Only they were cautious with the first shipment?

why such a massive discrepency between famitsu and MC on mario & luigi, i know they're different trackers and they do vary but thats nearly 30,000 difference

freddy

Banned
It's pretty clear Smash Bros is the king of fighters now. The other guys are wallowing in the past and fighting over a niche market.

Spiegel

Tenchu bombed badly

Hero of Legend said:
Huge drop for RM2.

How much did Ratatosk and Vesperia sell again?

I wouldn't be surprised if the game is at least below #15 by the beginning of next month.

I'm shocked it dropped this much so soon, I thought it was going to stay at near the top still selling big numbers for another month or so.

But I never expected such a big drop at least.

Wonder why it dropped that much? Sold out?

Main entries:
Tales of Legendia (PS2) -> 242k - 51k - 19k
Tales of Symphonia (GC) -> 183k - 50k - 21k
Tales of the Abbys (PS2) -> 368k - 72k - 39k

Tales of the World2:
210k-45k-23k

ToTW2 is going to sell 100k+ more at least than the recent Tales (360, Wii, Ds, PSP). You shouldn't be shocked because a Tales game is dropping like Tales games do

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
*looks at early HW numbers*

HOLY CRAP! We might see HW crossover over the next 2 weeks! First the 360 next week for SO4 and PS3 the week after for Yakuza 3. :eek:

What a horrible month for Wii. :lol

Vinnk said:
FFCC:EoT Wii has price collapsed to $25 yet it is still not in the top 30...

:lol

Hear that Square? Keep your DS games on the DS.
Is the DS version still full price? After that 300k shipment? o_O

AniHawk

jj984jj said:
What a horrible year for Wii. :lol

fixed. Nintendo hasn't done a damn thing to keep the thing going. Sure they might not be making any games, but no price drops, new colors, or other shit like that is just lazy.

AniHawk said:
fixed. Nintendo hasn't done a damn thing to keep the thing going. Sure they might not be making any games, but no price drops, new colors, or other shit like that is just lazy.

there's no chance of a price cut before april otherwise it'll mess up their financial projections

jj984jj

AniHawk said:
Wii Sports Resort and Monster Hunter 3 can't come soon enough for them.

Opiate said:
PSP version of Tenchu 4 does notably better than the Wii version despite being a months-late port.

Yes, it's another reasonable example evidencing that "hardcore" games don't sell well on the Wii in Japan.

I'm not sure whether this is sarcasm or not, but judging by your post history it probably isn't, so...

20k vs 13k opening weeks is a "notable" difference and worth holding up as an example of how the system doesn't sell "hardcore" games? Seriously?

Perhaps since that's around 8-10k lower than the opening week for Shinobi Taizen it's an indication that the hardcore market on the PSP is shrinking? Or perhaps it's a relatively small difference and - together with slumping figures on PSP and PS2, plus poor figures on DS and 360 - suggests that the problem is with the series rather than the platform?

Rolf NB

Hey PantherLotus, do you have YOY hardware charts going for 2009 vs 2008? Like the "I debate thee what extremely close doth mean" charts last year?

RpgN said:
I'm really astounded by Demon's Souls performance @_@ I thought it was sent to die.

It was, when both of your first week shipments sell out almost immediately, even when you'd didn't advertise the game a lick or really seem to care about it. you know that it was basically sent to die, and were amazed by the fact it stood there in the fire looking rather content.

I think the bigger thing to note is why the bloody is 365 Days of Magic still selling?

Talk about random games with legs.

Vinnk

dreamcastmaster said:
How well could SFIV done if it had not sold out?

There are still several PS3 copies in my city (and 2 Xbox 360 copies). But I wasn't there on Thursday so I don't know how many they had to start with.

I'm not sure if these copies are a restock or that it didn't sell out here. Anyone in the other cities have any idea?

AniHawk

jj984jj said:
Wii Sports Resort and Monster Hunter 3 can't come soon enough for them.

I think that MH3 is gonna do pretty much nothing for the Wii. Wii Sports Resort will though. It's probably a June title at this point, though. I doubt we'll see it until August or September.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Opiate said:
PSP version of Tenchu 4 does notably better than the Wii version despite being a months-late port.

Yes, it's another reasonable example evidencing that "hardcore" games don't sell well on the Wii in Japan.

Err..are you being serious? Both numbers are so low any attempt at analysis seems like statistical noise.

If it did 1K on Wii and 2k on PSP would we be saying it did significantly better because it doubled the Wii version?

Tenbatsu

AniHawk said:
Cant be worse than NOA.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
freddy said:
It's pretty clear Smash Bros is the king of fighters now. The other guys are wallowing in the past and fighting over a niche market.

Oh please. Smash would be just as irrelevant to the average buyer if it wasnt jam packed with mascots.

ElFly

HK-47 said:
Oh please. Smash would be just as irrelevant to the average buyer if it wasnt jam packed with mascots.

Well, we do not live in that hypothetical universe.

It's not like Capcom hasn't tried a license whoring fighting game before, with TvC being the most recent example.

jj984jj

AniHawk said:
I think that MH3 is gonna do pretty much nothing for the Wii. Wii Sports Resort will though. It's probably a June title at this point, though. I doubt we'll see it until August or September.
I hope MH3 does something for Wii, it needs a bigger audience for that kind of game.

schuelma

jj984jj said:
it needs a bigger audience for that kind of game.

That's why I think it could have some sort of impact, at least short term. Monster Hunter will be the first major core PS2/non Nintendo franchise to go to Wii. There should be a lot of potential Wii buyers in that group.

womfalcs3

Banned
jj984jj said:
*looks at early HW numbers*

HOLY CRAP! We might see HW crossover over the next 2 weeks! First the 360 next week for SO4 and PS3 the week after for Yakuza 3. :eek:

What a horrible month for Wii. :lol

Not to mention Biohazard 5 coming right after.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ElFly said:
Well, we do not live in that hypothetical universe.

It's not like Capcom hasn't tried a license whoring fighting game before, with TvC being the most recent example.

Comparing Capcom to Nintendo in terms of mascots popularity in Japan is like comparing the Moon to the Sun in size. He said fighters need to adapt. I said it isnt the gameplay that creates the popularity. What, all you gotta do to make a successful fighter is have collection of the most bankable characters in the industry?

Spiegel

schuelma said:
That's why I think it could have some sort of impact, at least short term. Monster Hunter will be the first major core PS2/non Nintendo franchise to go to Wii. There should be a lot of potential Wii buyers in that group.

I agree, but I would count "Dragon Quest spinoff" as the first big core PS2/non Nintendo franchise (350k-500k).

schuelma

Spiegel said:
I agree, but I would count "Dragon Quest spinoff" as the first big core PS2/non Nintendo franchise (350k-500k).

Eh..don't really know how much appeal DQ:S had to the typical core gamer.

Spiegel

schuelma said:
Eh..don't really know how much appeal DQ:S had to the typical core gamer.

I would say all of the Dragon Quest spinoffs are core games :/

And slashing slimes should be the wet dream of every DQ fan

HK-47 said:
Comparing Capcom to Nintendo in terms of mascots popularity in Japan is like comparing the Moon to the Sun in size. He said fighters need to adapt. I said it isnt the gameplay that creates the popularity. What, all you gotta do to make a successful fighter is have collection of the most bankable characters in the industry?

Certainly doesn't seem to hurt.

ElFly

HK-47 said:

Well, for one, I doubt Smash would be so popular if it were a traditional 1 on 1 fighting game, mascots or not.

Cheesemeister said:
It's 8,390 yen! I, for one, refuse to pay such an outrageous price.

8,390.00 JPY=137.060 AUD
8,390.00 JPY=89.1481 USD
8,390.00 JPY=69.9657 EUR
8,390.00 JPY=61.8575 GBP

Disgraceful prices.

freddy

Banned
HK-47 said:
What, all you gotta do to make a successful fighter is have collection of the most bankable characters in the industry?
Well in your mind it seems so yes. I think it happens to take a bit more than that though. Those characters became bankable because they were in top of the line games that pushed boundaries and expanded genres. Nothing has changed.

markatisu

AniHawk said:

Well Capcom is going to push for it, an interview with IGN yesterday said that there is a lot of pressure on them to make MH3 on Wii successful

pseudocaesar said:
8,390.00 JPY=137.060 AUD
8,390.00 JPY=89.1481 USD
8,390.00 JPY=69.9657 EUR
8,390.00 JPY=61.8575 GBP

Disgraceful prices.

Okay but Japanese don't base the value of the prices on exchange rate. Someone was making the exact same argument 8 months ago back when the yen was 130 to the dollar about how absurdly cheap games are nowadays in Japan and thus they should be selling more.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
freddy said:
Well in your mind it seems so yes. I think it happens to take a bit more than that though. Those characters became bankable because they were in top of the line games that pushed boundaries and expanded genres. Nothing has changed.

So it isnt SSB at all, it is the characters in the game. Also I dont think boundary pushing and such as anything to do with it. Capcom has plenty of those too.. Nintendo is just more popular

NeonZ

HK-47 said:
So it isnt SSB at all, it is the characters in the game. Also I dont think boundary pushing and such as anything to do with it. Capcom has plenty of those too.. Nintendo is just more popular

If it were just the characters, I don't think Brawl would have sold more than Melee. The novelty would get old, not be renewed.

If the game didn't have licensed characters it'd sell less, but trying to say that Smash's success comes solely from the licenses is foolish. Jump Super Stars, Dissidia, Super Robot Wars, Capcom VS... All those series use various licensed proprieties, but don't sell as well as Smash.

Euphor!a

Banned
NeonZ said:
If it were just the characters, I don't think Brawl would have sold more than Melee. The novelty would get old, not be renewed.

If the game didn't have licensed characters it'd sell less, but trying to say that Smash's success comes solely from the licenses is foolish. Jump Super Stars, Dissidia, Super Robot Wars, Capcom VS... All those series use various licensed proprieties, but don't sell as well as Smash.

They also don't have the selling power of the Nintendo brand.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
NeonZ said:

Wait what? Nintendo is way more powerful than those brands. And why wouldnt Brawl sell more then Melee? Its on a more popular system.

Its something Nintendo does all the time. They leverage their games with mascots, especially Mario and Pokemon.

donny2112

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
I think the bigger thing to note is why the bloody is 365 Days of Magic still selling?

Talk about random games with legs.

It's an Animal Crossing clone. There's your answer. Penguin no Mondai is also being a leggy title for Konami. :)

NeonZ

Euphor!a said:
They also don't have the selling power of the Nintendo brand.

Final Fantasy sells more than most of the main games from series represented in Smash - besides Mario and Pokemon - but Pokemon console spin offs and 3d Mario games currently don't even approach FF's sales. Dissidia sold less than any main Final Fantasy even though it had characters from almost every single numbered game.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
bcn-ron said:
Hey PantherLotus, do you have YOY hardware charts going for 2009 vs 2008? Like the "I debate thee what extremely close doth mean" charts last year?

Not yet. They look ridiculous with only 7 points. Soon, though. Hell, maybe this week when hardware is released. Did you see my multiple YOYs for DS v PSP? It's easy to do one for a single year vs. a single year (with only two systems). Doing multiple years for multiple systems becomes hard on the eye. I'll probably stick to the 09 vs 08. I

Also, great reference. I've tried to roll back on the snarky charts since then. :(

pulga

Banned
HK-47 said:

So? The game is what it is and it's a hard, cold fact that SSBB is the most popular fighter out there. What the hell are you even trying to argue?

Top Bottom