• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/23 - 03/02

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sage00 said:
Is that a Wii increase by Famitsu numbers?

No, slight decrease I believe. It would be an increase over MC however.

f@luS

More than a member.
creamsugar said:
Famitsu

DSL 10000
DSi 35000
PSP 61000
Wii 20000
PS3 40000
PS2 5000
360 14000

RE5 PS3 320,000
RE5 360 79,000
wow @ 40K PS3? twice the wii?
PSP outsold DSI+DSL?

RNG 3 selling that much ? 414K ! may go to 500K easily !

Mrbob said:
Damn, RE5 PS3 just gave the 360 version a huge beat down. Of course the 360 version will still sell well in the west. Makes SE SO4 decision even more hilarious following the release of RE5. 300+ guaranteed SE, and you decided against it!

PS3 software is starting to catch up and outsell 360 software in Europe now too...money hats can't make up for lost sales anymore.

yup. Too many ps3's now and game are selling excellent! SO4 on ps3 would easily do 500K 1st week imho.

RE5 PS3 may outsell the 360 one like it did with DMC4 , thanks to japan (USA and EU just make it even for the 2 , japan makes the diff)

SF4 is absolutely not a failure in Japan.

Are you forgetting that this tops the arcade charts there? It is bigger than VF5:R and Tekken 6. That in and of itself is a huge accomplishment.

Not trying to spin but why the hell would you want a home version when you can walk to an Arcade and play the real thing vs. amazing players? I sure as hell wouldn't want to.

And furthermore, it burned through what 250k LTD? That ain't bad, especially when arcade machine sales probably covered the development cost of the game. This home version was just gravy for Capcom.

And other regions (US), we won't even get into it. You can wait for NPD to see for yourself. SF4 has been a smash success for Capcom, any way you look at it.

TvC... that's another story :(

Linkup said:
It failed as a Star Ocean game, it failed as a JRPG, and it failed as a game. It failed.

It failed sales wise in Japan? Debateable. As an RPG though it's amazing. I loved it, but that's opinion and this is a sales thread.

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
I didn't think he was literally meaning that the current version of SF4 could be easily ported to anything, but that the gameplay system could. Behind the scenes it wouldn't be that different from similar games that have been around since the early 90s. It's not a Dead Rising or something that would require them to take large liberties to put it on lesser hardware.
Ye, maybe that is what he ment :) I have no idea how much hardware the Street Fighter 4 engine requires, or if it would be possible to port it easy to the Wii, so i just thought that i would ask :)

Ye, as you say, similar games have been around since the early 90s, so the Wii shouldnt have any problem running a figthing game like Street Fighter 4.

hirokazu said:
I guess he meant since the SFIV gameplay component is 2D, you could tinker with the graphics engine (or create an alternative one) to get it to run on stuff like Wii and iPhone. The graphics would obviously not be the same, but the gameplay engine should be the same, except perhaps an alternative control scheme.
Ye, that is true. I just wondered if Capcom could easily make a Street Fighter 4 game for the Wii by using the current SF4 engine or if they had to make a new game engine that would work on the Wii, or if Capcom already had some game engine that they could use for Street Fighter 4, like the Tatsunoko VS Capcom engine :)

hirokazu said:
Personally, I think even if a Wii version of SFIV was released at the same time as the PS3/360 versions, the other two would likely outsell it significantly. My gut feeling is, most people who are interested in it would likely have a PS3/360, perhaps in addition to owning a Wii, and are likely to pick it up on their PS3/360 because of better graphics, control and online service.

Not that the PS3 and 360 controllers are much good for the game, but traditional games like this are just not meant to be played with the Wii remote, even if the option is there to choose.
Ye, i think that the PS3/360 versions of Street Fighter 4 would outsell the Wii version as well, but i think it would be interesting to see how the sales split would have been between the PS3, the Xbox 360 and the Wii :)

I wonder if we will see a "big title" game in Japan that is released for the PS3, the Xbox 360 and the Wii at the same time. Or have we already seen it?

Arpharmd B said:
You answered your own question.
Ye, maybe i did that :)

Arpharmd B said:
Really though I don't think they will. Street Fighter is just not a casual game, even though Capcom likes to pretend it is in interviews. Even if they dumbed down the controls ala Easy Operation, I just don't think there is a market for this on Wii. Just look at the TvC numbers for an indication how bad it would do.
Ye, and TvC was also an Wii exclusive title (well, TvC was also in the arcade, but it was exclusive to the Wii when it comes to the consoles), so i wonder how a Wii version of Street Fighter 4 would sell when a PS3 and a Xbox 360 version of the game also excist. Maybe Street Fighter 4 is much more popular than a "VS Capcom" games though, so maybe TcV for the Wii sold ok for what it is? And also considering that fighting games in genereal seems to have gone down in interest in Japan. I think it should be interesting to see how a multiplatform fighting game would do in Japan :)

I am sorry for the late replies here by the way :\ Thanks for the answer to everyone :)

EDIT: I added some text.

cvxfreak

Loudninja said:
Good sales for RE5,also RE5 really did mot help the 360 at all :/

The 360's hardware sales are still above what it usually does. Its system got an RE5 bundle as well, although from the looks of things, that one isn't sold out yet.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
How do you figure? The sum of PS3 and X360 RE5 first weeks (399K) is slightly greater than the sum of GCN and PS2 RE4 first weeks (381K). It could go either way from here.

Just decided to take a look, and, apparently, Resident Evil is a very hardcore series.

1st week (% of LTD)

PS1 Resident Evil - 149K (12.5%)
PS1 Resident Evil 2 - 1.39m (64.5%)
PS1 Resident Evil 3 - 1.01m (72.7%)
GCN Resident Evil 4 - 146K (65.9%)

After some of the hardcore were drained off with the GCN release ...

PS2 Resident Evil 4 - 235K (51.6%)

With that information, I'd say that RE5 (PS3+360) is looking at ~600K, which is ~75K short of GCN+PS2 RE4.

cvxfreak said:
The 360's hardware sales are still above what it usually does. Its system got an RE5 bundle as well, although from the looks of things, that one isn't sold out yet.
Worth remembering what the 360 did this time last year...

Famitsu: 2,518
Media Create: 1,744

gconsole

donny2112 said:
Just decided to take a look, and, apparently, Resident Evil is a very hardcore series.

1st week (% of LTD)

PS1 Resident Evil - 149K (12.5%)
PS1 Resident Evil 2 - 1.39m (64.5%)
PS1 Resident Evil 3 - 1.01m (72.7%)
GCN Resident Evil 4 - 146K (65.9%)

After some of the hardcore were drained off with the GCN release ...

PS2 Resident Evil 4 - 235K (51.6%)

With that information, I'd say that RE5 (PS3+360) is looking at ~600K, which is ~75K short of GCN+PS2 RE4.

Compare to the old stat. RE5 would sell like

Worst case 70% first week : 400k -> 570k LTD
Best case 50% first week : 400k -> 800k LTD
Average from both case so it looks like 685k LTD at the best assumption

Link

The Autumn Wind
gconsole said:
Compare to the old stat. RE5 would sell like

Worst case 70% first week : 400k -> 570k LTD
Best case 50% first week : 400k -> 800k LTD
Average from both case so it looks like 685k LTD at the best assumption
HD games in Japan have been a lot more frontloaded than previous generations.

donny2112

Link said:
HD games in Japan have been a lot more frontloaded than previous generations.

Case in point, MGS4.

PS1 MGS - 44.9%
PS2 MGS2 - 57.2%
PS2 MGS3 - 59.4%
PS3 MGS4 - 69.4%

gtj1092 said:
Any one know Gamecube's install base at the launch of RE4?

It was near the end so probably > 3.5 million.

gtj1092

donny2112 said:
Case in point, MGS4.

PS1 MGS - 44.9%
PS2 MGS2 - 57.2%
PS2 MGS3 - 59.4%
PS3 MGS4 - 69.4%

Do you think thats just the natural progression of a popular series? With each new iteration being more and more front loaded.

donny2112 said:
was near the end so probably > 3.5 million.

Thanks for the info. Makes RE5 sales even more impressive.

jett

D-Member
Wow the PS3 is hanging in there! ...oh right Resident Evil 5. I guess things will go back to normal in a week or so. :p

Arpharmd B said:
SF4 is absolutely not a failure in Japan.

Are you forgetting that this tops the arcade charts there? It is bigger than VF5:R and Tekken 6. That in and of itself is a huge accomplishment.

I'm pretty sure Tekken is still the king by a wide margin...I'd like to be proven wrong though. :p

gtj1092 said:
Do you think thats just the natural progression of a popular series? With each new iteration being more and more front loaded.

Thanks for the info. Makes RE5 sales even more impressive.
Diminishing returns on a series are par for the course in other forms of media, but gaming's a bit weird. I'd say that generally the longer a series goes, the fewer each installment sells, but there are more than a handful of series that completely buck that and sell up-and-down-and-up-again. Too many factors to really say what the effect of one individual factor is.

donny2112 said:
Case in point, MGS4.

PS1 MGS - 44.9%
PS2 MGS2 - 57.2%
PS2 MGS3 - 59.4%
PS3 MGS4 - 69.4%

It was near the end so probably > 3.5 million.

Do those numbers include re releases and "The Best" of editions?

Pachael

Psychotext said:
Worth remembering what the 360 did this time last year...

Famitsu: 2,518
Media Create: 1,744

Remember the discussion in the MC threads last year with regards to whether the X360 would sustain a '5K-7K' sellthrough each week? From the past few months it's been that, but we'll see once the titles dry up.

In other news, Tekken 6 is dominating arcades, I think MarkMan posts these arcade charts to show the point. SFIV is knocked to Wednesday while VF5 is knocked to five weeks out. T6 is dominating in the arcades like VF4 used to.

donny2112

gtj1092 said:

It's typical for core series to get more and more frontloaded as the series progresses, yes. MGS4's 10% jump seems kind of severe to me, though. Here's DMC for another comparison.

DMC - 61.9%
DMC2 - 67.7%
DMC3 - 65.2%
PS360 DMC4 - 69.1% (PS3 DMC4 - 68.5%)

AranhaHunter said:
Do those numbers include re releases and "The Best" of editions?

Those are just the regular editions' Famitsu numbers.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I wouldnt say SF4 is fine. Those numbers are pretty dissapointing seeing how much time capcom put into an awesome game. Thankfully we have NA and Euroland.

Orin GA said:
I wouldnt say SF4 is fine. Those numbers are pretty dissapointing seeing how much time capcom put into an awesome game. Thankfully we have NA and Euroland.
I need to start clarifying myself better. In the previous post, I was talking about the arcade version.

donny2112

Jasoncheng said:
TOP30
NDS:14
PSP:4
Wii:4
PS2:3
PS3:3
XBOX360:2

The DS is acting like the PS2 when it was on its way out in 2005. Taking most of the Top 30, but not so much the Top 10. DS has 10 of the bottom 17 slots. Wii continues to slide (Good going, Nintendo!).

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Two really big PS3 games came out, (Yakuza 3 and B5, yes I know that one's multi), so it's nice that there's some sales for these games! ^_^

That said, I don't see the bump lasting long, but if I'm wrong that'd be cool. The PS3 could use some RPGs.

Top Bottom