• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/23 - 03/02

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I have a feeling that worldwide recession thing is going to effect hardware sales a lot this year in Japan, not just Wii.

Nolan.

A little surprised with the wii but at the same time when they get some big games I guess it will pick up again.

u_neek

Good numbers for Resi 5 and PS3.

I can see the PS3 outselling the Wii again next week with the release of Warriors Orochi Z and continued sales of RE5.

Tideas

Banned
frankie_baby said:
well looks like wii numbers have stabilised, no sliding down to 10k sort of numbers that some thought might happen a few weeks ago

no...i don't think it stabilized just yet. You might see 15k next week

Sirolf said:
A great week for the PS family,i hope it will be sustained for a while!
Good Sony !!:D
Well, with Sony following up RGG3 and RE5 with the amazing *nothing*, I'm sure these PS3 sales will hold for a good long time.

Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed that Sony successfully cast Raise II on the PSP. I hope they buy Capcom some good hookers for their integral part in it.

PSP on top, PS3 second. Has that happened before lol? Either way....expect sales to sink down to ~15-20k a week if not less. Its drought time.

schuelma

How awesome is bttb?

Sooooooo awesome!

Edit- Yakuza 3 fell even more than I thought it would. Yipes

Double Edit- SO4 looks to fall out of the top 30 next week before it even hits 200K. Double Yipes.

Damn. I have a feeling SEGA really undershipped 7th Dragon. It's even sold out in my little backwater town now. And given the used turnover of RPGs, the next shipment is going to be too late. :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Dascu said:
Great sales for 7th Dragon.

I don't know. Great sales in the absolute, and well on track for Sega's lifetime projections, but the day one : week one turnover is atrocious--so either it sold out and Sega didn't restock or demand dropped (I'd say the former is substantially more likely).

obaidr

Banned
going by that numbers a lot of people bought a PS3 for Resi 5 but not so much a 360 for Resi 5. Heard some people here saying 360 well sell a lot of hardware because it is cheaper but seems like the japanese doesn't care for the 360.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The RE5 sales are almost as good as those fake ones, wow. I did not predict it would come near 400k. I'm owned, but I couldn't think of a better time to be owned.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Y2Kev said:
The RE5 sales are almost as good as those fake ones, wow. I did not predict it would come near 400k. I'm owned, but I couldn't think of a better time to be owned.

Same here. I thought RE5 would do SFIV numbers. Good Goodness I wonder what monster hunter 3 would do on the ps3 in japan.

obaidr said:
going by that numbers a lot of people bought a PS3 for Resi 5 but not so much a 360 for Resi 5. Heard some people here saying 360 well sell a lot of hardware because it is cheaper but seems like the japanese doesn't care for the 360.
No shit?

gantz85

Banned
Guess we can look at a 550-600K performance for Yakuza 3.

For RE5, it can probably do 700K for both platforms, and 600K for PS3. Naice, naice.

schuelma

gantz85 said:
Guess we can look at a 550-600K performance for Yakuza 3.

For RE5, it can probably do 700K for both platforms, and 600K for PS3. Naice, naice.

Hmm..I don't know about that at all. Those are pretty hardcore series to begin with, and the PS3 software seems even more frontloaded than other systems.

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
I've said it before, but I really have to tip my hat to Capcom. They seem to be the only third party to really "get" the logistics of this gen.

I think they've had mixed results on Wii (this is not a complaint about game quality I swear).

They've done great with low cost Resident Evil stuff, especially in Japan, but they've also had two IP's bomb pretty severely (We Love Golf, Z&W). And I doubt that the Dead Rising experiment went like they wanted it to.

Monster Hunter should be interesting.

markatisu

schuelma said:
I think they've had mixed results on Wii (this is not a complaint about game quality I swear).

They've done great with low cost Resident Evil stuff, especially in Japan, but they've also had two IP's bomb pretty severely (We Love Golf, Z&W). And I doubt that the Dead Rising experiment went like they wanted it to.

Monster Hunter should be interesting.

At the same time it needs to be mentioned again Capcom has not tried too much with the Wii, nothing they have released to date has been pushed in anyway or had the budget near something like SFIV or an RE5. RE4 Wii and REUC did as well solely because of the RE franchise, they will probably learn that when Dead Rising comes in lower than they hoped since their estimates are always conservative and they usually sell more.

MH3 looks to be the first Wii game they put any real money behind, we know its going to be marketed to hell and back and it is more than just a port of the PSP game which they easily could have done

Tideas

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I've said it before, but I really have to tip my hat to Capcom. They seem to be the only third party to really "get" the logistics of this gen.

are we ignoring the failure that is SF4?

schuelma

markatisu said:
At the same time it needs to be mentioned again Capcom has not tried too much with the Wii, nothing they have released to date has been pushed in anyway or had the budget near something like SFIV or an RE5. RE4 Wii and REUC did as well solely because of the RE franchise, they will probably learn that when Dead Rising comes in lower than they hoped since their estimates are always conservative and they usually sell more.

MH3 looks to be the first Wii game they put any real money behind, we know its going to be marketed to hell and back and it is more than just a port of the PSP game which they easily could have done

That's true, but I think it should be noted that they have tried some relatively high quality stuff and the market mostly rejected it (We Love Golf, Z&W).

schuelma

Tideas said:

WTF are you talking about? Japan? Japan was never going to be a big market for this game, and judging by Capcom USA's statements about preorders, etc., SFIV did great in the U.S.

Tideas said:
Everyone's going to have some misses, but I think SF4 sold as well as it was going to. It's a home port of an arcade fighter (these days not so popular in Japan) that itself wasn't all that popular.

Plus, I have a feeling it's going to do nicely in other regions.

Tideas

Banned
schuelma said:
WTF are you talking about? Japan? Japan was never going to be a big market for this game, and judging by Capcom USA's statements about preorders, etc., SFIV did great in the U.S.

this is a Japan sales age thread. Everything that is said should be with regards to Japan only.

You can't just look at a game, and say "oh, it's never a big market for a game." You're just spinning it.

Either it fails, did okay, or is a success.

SF4 in Japan is a failure.

markatisu

schuelma said:
That's true, but I think it should be noted that they have tried some relatively high quality stuff and the market mostly rejected it (We Love Golf, Z&W).

Well We Love Golf was just odd because the developer was solid and it should have sold well, Tiger Woods sells fantastic in the US and EU so its not like Wii gamers do not buy golf games. It looked enough like Hot Shots I think to have sold (and didnt Hot Shots originate with Camelot?)

Zack and Wiki, while I love it and think its a great game is a puzzle/point and click and I do not believe that bullshit Capcom says about spending $2m on advertising and pushing it. I wonder though if Zack and Wiki would have sold on the DS?

But again to say that Z&W and We Love Golf contained the same or similar AAA budget as their other games I think is far fetched

schuelma

Tideas said:
this is a Japan sales age thread. Everything that is said should be with regards to Japan only.

You can't just look at a game, and say "oh, it's never a big market for a game." You're just spinning it.

First, I think to call it a failure is wrong. Segata said it better than me (like always).

Second, when we're talking about Capcom in general and their approach to this gen, to ignore the world when having that discussion misses a big part of the picture IMO.

schuelma

Another point on Capcom- if we're talking portables, I think they could be doing a lot more on both systems. You have Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney, but that's about it.

markatisu

schuelma said:
First, I think to call it a failure is wrong. Segata said it better than me (like always).

Second, when we're talking about Capcom in general and their approach to this gen, to ignore the world when having that discussion missed a big part of the picture IMO.

Especially the interview they just gave which said the reason they went with the 360 as their main platform was to get Western exposure and concentrate on worldwide sales

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tideas said:

okay well what were expectations and what were results?

Top Bottom