• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/23 - 03/02

Tideas

Banned
schuelma said:
First, I think to call it a failure is wrong. Segata said it better than me (like always).

Second, when we're talking about Capcom in general and their approach to this gen, to ignore the world when having that discussion misses a big part of the picture IMO.

my response was to his quote, "Capcom gets the logistic of this gen." Yes, in relative to other 3rd party, they do. But that doesn't mean SF4 didn't fail in Japan.

Tideas said:
this is a Japan sales age thread. Everything that is said should be with regards to Japan only.

You can't just look at a game, and say "oh, it's never a big market for a game." You're just spinning it.

Either it fails, did okay, or is a success.

SF4 in Japan is a failure.
Except I was speaking generally. I'm sorry if you misunderstood. If we're speaking only of Japan, you'd be fucking retarded to do anything but crank out *only* portable games, which I guess would make Square Enix the sly boots?

Tideas

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Except I was speaking generally. I'm sorry if you misunderstood. If we're speaking only of Japan, you'd be fucking retarded to do anything but crank out *only* portable games, which I guess would make Square Enix the sly boots?

then sure. worldwide, Capcom is one of the few that is doing relatively well.

Tideas said:
this is a Japan sales age thread. Everything that is said should be with regards to Japan only.

You can't just look at a game, and say "oh, it's never a big market for a game." You're just spinning it.

How do you define success or failure though? Outside of the development cost vs. revenue generated, which is a worldwide consideration, everything else is an unquantifiable opinion.

Also when talking about Capcom 'getting it', part of that is that they have an effective global strategy that allows for a game to underperform in one territory without the whole thing collapsing.

Tideas

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
How do you define success or failure though? Outside of the development cost vs. revenue generated, which is a worldwide consideration, everything else is an unquantifiable opinion.

Also when talking about Capcom 'getting it', part of that is that they have an effective global strategy that allows for a game to underperform in one territory without the whole thing collapsing.

Consieering how it barely got passed 100k on the PS3 and maybe 20k on the 360, I would call that a failure in Japan for an established IP

Laguna

Banned
25. [NDS] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix) - 6,600 / 187,000

Has anyone the first week shipment numbers for FFCC (DS version) at hand? *lol* Honestly if they hadn´t announced a Wii version the game most likely wouldn´t have been as ignored as it was imo. They should also move off this chara designs and try something abit more grown up, even "teenagers" would be an improvement. I know nearly 200k isn´t exactly a bad thing but it´s a big drop-off compared to the first FFCC DS game. Wasn´t it 200k DS and 50k for Wii (1st week shipment)?

Laguna

Banned
schuelma said:
I thought it was significantly higher.

That´s what I´ve found
First day sales
[NDS] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix) - 58,000 (20%) / Bundle - 4,000 (40%)

[WII] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix) - 14,000 (25%)

Must have been something around 300k for DSs regular and limited edition version and 56k for the Wii version then.

Spiegel

Laguna said:
That´s what I´ve found
First day sales
[NDS] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix) - 58,000 (20%) / Bundle - 4,000 (40%)

[WII] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix) - 14,000 (25%)

Must have been something around 300k for DSs regular and limited edition version and 56k for the Wii version then.

Yep. 33% of the first shipment being unsold after 5 weeks is the definition of failure (ds version)

Square/retailers dropped the ball with the expectations.

max-pain

Laguna said:
25. [NDS] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix) - 6,600 / 187,000

Has anyone the first week shipment numbers for FFCC (DS version) at hand? *lol* Honestly if they hadn´t announced a Wii version the game most likely wouldn´t have been as ignored as it was imo. They should also move off this chara designs and try something abit more grown up, even "teenagers" would be an improvement. I know nearly 200k isn´t exactly a bad thing but it´s a big drop-off compared to the first FFCC DS game. Wasn´t it 200k DS and 50k for Wii (1st week shipment)?

300k/100k ?

Psychotext said:
That's on the last page. :(
Segata Sanshiro said:
lol 50 posts per page
Stumpokapow said:
:lol 50 posts per page :lol
I'm not sure which neverending argument is more heated: 30 vs 60 frames per second or 50 vs 100 posts per page.

Tideas said:

Okay. But the fact that Capcom develops a game knowing it won't be equally hot in all regions doesn't really contrast with They seem to be the only third party to really "get" the logistics of this gen. It just shows they're not completely Japan-centric.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm not sure which neverending argument is more heated: 30 vs 60 frames per second or 50 vs 100 posts per page.

well they're similar in that one side is clearly wrong and it's not the side i'm on *shakes fist*

Spiegel

Shin Sangoku Musou: Multi Raid with 296k copies sold becomes the best selling Musou game on the psp, outselling Dynasty Warriors which was a launch game in 2004

The game has also outsold Dynasty Warriors 5 (main entry - 223k LTD) on the ps2 and it's going to outsell Dynasty Warriors 5 (main entry - 363k LTD) on the ps3

Mrbob

Damn, RE5 PS3 just gave the 360 version a huge beat down. Of course the 360 version will still sell well in the west. Makes SE SO4 decision even more hilarious following the release of RE5. 300+ guaranteed SE, and you decided against it!

PS3 software is starting to catch up and outsell 360 software in Europe now too...money hats can't make up for lost sales anymore.

Pachael

Segata Sanshiro said:
Everyone's going to have some misses, but I think SF4 sold as well as it was going to. It's a home port of an arcade fighter (these days not so popular in Japan) that itself wasn't all that popular.

Plus, I have a feeling it's going to do nicely in other regions.

Rather than SF4 per se, TvC bombed badly on the Wii. That's the real failure. (And worse, the game has no chance of getting out of Japan!)

The PSP is gaining ground again due to appealing franchises (and existing ones). Capcom should get most of the love for Monster Hunter but so should Square for Crisis Core and Dissidia, which have delivered 700k+ and shifted many new PSPs.

Now the PSP is the MH-lite and 'otaku' portable together with Square games. In the first column are Phantasy Star Portable, Musou Multi Raid, and maybe Tales: RM2 (that's a stretch), the second column has Idolmaster and the various Key ports, and in the third column is Crisis Core and Dissidia with the promise of a Kingdom Hearts, Parasite Eve 3 and Agito XIII.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Aeana said:
50 posts per page is more cinematic.
Stumpokapow said:
hahahaha no surprise teh queen of achaic defends 50ppp!!!!
PepsimanVsJoe said:
100 posts per page is overrated anyway. It's more dumb shit per page really.
But with Firefox & AutoPager I though the ppp argument was now irrelevant?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
50 ppp with motion blur is PRACTICALLY THE SAME THING as 100 ppp

my problem is that the browser runs at sub desktop resolutions!

gantz85

Banned
Demon's Souls will pass 90,000 for sure. It will have to creep its way up to 100K.

It's a confirmed 100K with a cheaper re-release.

Not sure how to see this performance.

plank

PSP PS3 selling big. Little by little small step are being taken, but soon Nintendo will go Third party, and be out of the console business for good. :D

gantz85

Banned
plank said:
PSP PS3 selling big. Little by little small step are being taken, but soon Nintendo will go Third party, and be out of the console business for good. :D

Nintendo was as profitable, if not more profitable, than Sony's Game Division even during the Gamecube/PS2 years.

Google it.

RpgN

gantz85 said:
Demon's Souls will pass 90,000 for sure. It will have to creep its way up to 100K.

It's a confirmed 100K with a cheaper re-release.

Not sure how to see this performance.

I'm estimating it has sold about 95k with MC charts. In any case, it's a 100k seller in the future on both charts (at least I hope it won't slow down and not make it, barely).

Its performance has been great so far with how sony undershipped it the first week and how it's still charting after 5 weeks. Absolutely no ads, nothing. It just passed by unnoticed. As for it sold enough to bring profit back, that's another matter. I have no idea myself...

RES5 is doing great, it's been a while since RES games charted with such a number.

Yakuza 3 has slowed down a bit, but it's still a good second week. Beating Yakuza 2's LTD is going to be a hard task.

7th dragon had such great first day numbers, not so the first week. Undershipped?

M&L3 is doing great too :D

gantz85

Banned
RpgN said:
I'm estimating it has sold about 95k with MC charts. In any case, it's a 100k seller in the future on both charts.

Its performance has been great so far with how sony undershipped it the first week and how it's still charting after 5 weeks. Absolutely no ads, nothing. It just passed by unnoticed. As for it sold enough to bring profit back, that's another matter. I have no idea myself...

95,000 x 60 = 5.7 million
10,000 x 30 (assuming this is profit margin at best-rerelease) = 300,000

That's a total of US$6 million. I honestly don't know if Demon's Souls could have been made for that amount of money. There's the Asian version but Asia doesn't consume much as a region.

RES5 is doing great, it's been a while since RES games charted with such a number.

Yakuza 3 has slowed down a bit, but it's still a good second week. Beating Yakuza 2's LTD is going to be a hard task.

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10222514340.html

Sinobi notes that Yakuza depreciated in very much the same rate as MGS4 did in its second week. I think Sinobi is guessing that given MGS4's sales trajectory, Yakuza 3 will end up at 520,000 copies sold.

There are a couple of interesting issues about RE5 in JP though.

(1) PS3 outsold 360 by 8:2, four times as much. This margin is not a historical high as Capcom's previous entry Devil May Cry 4 sold 6 times as much on the PS3 in Japan (see http://www.japan-gamecharts.com)

(2) Assuming that PS3's RE5 release follows a similar sales trajectory alongside MGS4 and Yakuza 3, we should see a significant sales decrease in the second week. This will probably chart it slightly below Yakuza 3 at 500K.

(3) However, 360 title sales for hit titles and multiplatform titles are also known to have larger second week drops than occurs for PS3 titles. How will second week for RE5 compare cross-platforms? Extremely interesting.

Also, RE5 and Yakuza 3 are poised to break the 500K barrier (at least they most probably will with a rerelease in teh future) LTD. This makes 3 games on the PS3 beyond the 500K mark :D MGS4 is no longer so lonely up there.

Spiegel

manueldelalas said:
Seems RE5 will not sell as much as RE4 (PS2 + GCN)

Yeah, but at least the best selling re5 version (PS3) is going to outsell/come close to the best selling re4 version (PS2)

It only has to sell 134k more copies

RpgN

gantz85 said:

We can't really guess how much DS costed to make, so I'm not commenting on that with absolutely certain. It could have not costed much, but it has been in production for 3 years. Who knows?

Yeah, MGS4 won't be alone anymore. But a 500k for RES5 ps3 sounds hard. Previous RES games dropped rather quickly. RES4 PS2 sold 455k for reference.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
Yeah, but at least the best selling re5 version (PS3) is going to outsell/come close to the best selling re4 version (PS2)

It only has to sell 134k more copies

Quite a feat. I didn't think it had it in it. :)

With DMC4, we took that as a reasonable outcome due to DMC3 being so low due to DMC2 backlash. I guess this could also mean that PS2 RE4 would've sold much more with a simultaneous GCN release (as if there were any doubt of that in the first place), which would make it a similar situation as DMC4's performance.

What about Tales? Does that mean that a PS3 TOV simultaneous release would've outsold the PS2 Tales of Symphonia? Hmmm.

gantz85

Banned
RpgN said:
Yeah, MGS4 won't be alone anymore. But a 500k for RES5 ps3 sounds hard. Previous RES games dropped rather quickly. RES4 PS2 sold 455k for reference.

http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/ps3.php

320K current sales for PS3 RE5

500-320=180
180/500=36%

It would require RE5's first week to constitute 64% or less of the LTD for it to break 500K. If you look at that list some games in the top 10-30 do not have firstweek-LTD ratios above 60%. Others do not.

Coupled with the fact that RE4's firstweek-LTD on the PS2 was 46% (http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/ps2.php) I would think that a 500K RE5 on the PS3 is a relatively safe bet.

Even if it doesn't make 500K now, a rerelease will certainly seal its fate.

manueldelalas said:
Seems RE5 will not sell as much as RE4 (PS2 + GCN)
How do you figure? The sum of PS3 and X360 RE5 first weeks (399K) is slightly greater than the sum of GCN and PS2 RE4 first weeks (381K). It could go either way from here.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
JoshuaJSlone said:
How do you figure? The sum of PS3 and X360 RE5 first weeks (399K) is slightly greater than the sum of GCN and PS2 RE4 first weeks (381K). It could go either way from here.

Maybe he's assuming a sharper drop off consistent with non-leading platforms? I think it's a weird conclusion either way.

Top Bottom