• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/7 - 1/13 2008

kay said:
Call of Duty 4 (of all games) appearing in the charts for a month isn't good? Most games don't have Wii <title> or Mario <title> or DS casual game legs you know.
Not when that means LTD 58,000. The software situation for PS3 doesn't really fit the description "good" as of now.

kay said:
Mario is whored out like no other, forget Final Fantasy. There has been a countless amount of games featuring him lately.
Unlike most entries in the FF universe the games featuring Mario are not from one genre. Plus there aren't constant remakes of Mario games floating around.

I'm not one to applaud slapping on the Mario name on any given game but sadly consumers tend to give more attention to established franchises.

fresquito

kay said:
PS3 won't stabilize until the SKU issue is fixed, as you should know, the 20 and 60 units are gone and they still haven't packaged the DS3 in. There needs to be a definitive unit because right now it's just a mess. I wonder what is taking them so long, although I know they won't announce it too early because then everybody would just wait for it.
I guess it has something to do with retailers with overstock problems not willing to get anything with PS3 logo slapped unto it without getting rid of the stock first.

Sharp

Wooooooooo Galaxy! I am so fucking happy that the game is selling in Japan, really I am. It means more to me than you know. Especially when you factor in used game sales, it means that a ton of people are experiencing it for the first time, and since I'm not exactly worried about Nintendo's profits that's what makes me feel really happy when I see those sales. Not so much for Wii third parties, unfortunately :(.

Nocebo

ksamedi said:
Wii follows the same strategy as DS and PS3 follows the same strategy as PSP so yeah.
Not only that but I mean their strategies appear to be having the same effect. PS3 has decent hardware sales while software seems to be lacking, same as psp. So it looks like the behaviour in handheld and home console markets is similar after all. Though most anti-wii zealots would have you believe otherwise.

Defuser

Pureauthor said:
Do you ever have an avatar that doesn't feature whoever that girl is? :lol
I was using a raining nightfall water boat avy till xs took it down and ban me from uploading. :(

ksamedi

Nocebo said:
Not only that but I mean their strategies appear to be having the same effect. PS3 has decent hardware sales while software seems to be lacking, same as psp. So it looks like the behaviour in handheld and home console markets is similar after all. Though most anti-wii zealots would have you believe otherwise.

I think the PS3s lack of software sales are less appealing games for the Japanese audiance and low hardware sales. It happened to the Gamecube and N64 as well. The fate of the second system in Japan is low software numbers.
I agree with you on the Wii, its the DS all over again. Wiisports = Nintendogs, WiiFit = Brain Training. Now for some better third party support to get a more varied userbase that can support niche games and your all set. I think Monster Hunter and Brawl will attract such an audiance.

Sharp

Nocebo said:
Wii third-party sales are worse than PSP third-party sales in Japan right now. In the West and in at least part of Europe the situation is somewhat different, of course.

Nocebo

Sharp said:
Wii third-party sales are worse than PSP third-party sales in Japan right now. In the West and in at least part of Europe the situation is somewhat different, of course.
Right now, yes. But what would it look like in a year?

Yeah the ps3 software offerings aren't so great yet.
By the way, does anyone know where I can find Metal Gear sales figures?

kswiston

Phife Dawg said:
Unlike most entries in the FF universe the games featuring Mario are not from one genre. Plus there aren't constant remakes of Mario games floating around.

It might not be at pre-32bit Final Fantasy levels, but Nintendo's released every mario up to Super Mario 64 at least twice, and often three times a piece. Nintendo's not exactly innocent of repackaging old games. Remember Super Mario All-Stars? Remember the Super Mario Advance line? Those were all ports/remakes. Same with Mario 64 DS. Not to mention that all of those games are also available on the Wii.

Also, while Final Fantasy IV's sales are down from Final Fantasy III's (a game that had never been re-released, unlike FFIV which has appeared on 4 systems prior to the DS), I'm pretty sure an eventual 600k sales for a Portable remake is more than enough to warrant a remake of FFV. By the time FFIV DS is released in North America and Europe, it will be well over 1 million copies sold.

spwolf

Sharp said:

its different when it is force bundled, is it? Still, sale is an sale, question is how long will they be able to keep up force bundling.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sharp said:

True, though I'd argue that PSP has received a lot better 3rd party support in Japan to this point.

farnham

Banned
_leech_ said:
For a system that struggled to do 10K pre-holidays, settling on ~30K/week is a decent improvement for them.
but it does not look bright in the future.. outside of DMC4 i dont see any software that will keep the hardware going.. while the Wii has.. well SBBX which is a comparable franchise to DMC4 releasing on the same day..

i predict SBBX outselling DMC4 on that day..

jarrod

Banned
kswiston said:
It might not be at pre-32bit Final Fantasy levels, but Nintendo's released every mario up to Super Mario 64 at least twice, and often three times a piece. Nintendo's not exactly innocent of repackaging old games. Remember Super Mario All-Stars? Remember the Super Mario Advance line? Those were all ports/remakes. Same with Mario 64 DS. Not to mention that all of those games are also available on the Wii.

Also, while Final Fantasy IV's sales are down from Final Fantasy III's (a game that had never been re-released, unlike FFIV which has appeared on 4 systems prior to the DS), I'm pretty sure an eventual 600k sales for a Portable remake is more than enough to warrant a remake of FFV. By the time FFIV DS is released in North America and Europe, it will be well over 1 million copies sold.
Rounding up each installment...

Super Mario Bros. (FC, FDS, SFC, GBC, GBA, GC, Wii)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (FDS, SFC, GBC, GBA, Wii)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (FC, SFC, GBA, Wii)
Super Mario Bros. 4 (SFC, GBA, Wii)
Super Mario USA (SFC, FC, GBA, Wii)
Yoshi Island (SFC, GBA)
Super Mario 64 (N64, DS, Wii)
Super Mario Sunshine (GC)
New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

Final Fantasy (FC, MSX, WSC, PS, GBA, mobile, PSP)
Final Fantasy II (FC, WSC, PS, GBA, mobile, PSP)
Final Fantasy III (FC, DS)
Final Fantasy IV (SFC, PS, WSC, GBA, DS)
Final Fantasy V (SFC, PS, GBA)
Final Fantasy VI (SFC, PS, GBA)
Final Fantasy VII (PS, PC)
Final Fantasy VIII (PS, PC)
Final Fantasy IX (PS)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Final Fantasy XI (PS2, PC, 360)
Final Fantasy XII (PS2)

...they basically average out even actually. :lol

Though if we could each technical mobile platform FF1-2 made it to (Verzion, ez, imode, etc), FF wins.

jarrod

Banned
spwolf said:
its different when it is force bundled, is it? Still, sale is an sale, question is how long will they be able to keep up force bundling.
Yeah, I wonder when they'll drop Wii Sports too. :p

schuelma

DeaconKnowledge said:
Yeah, struggling to keep up with GameCube is awesome.

Josh can answer this better, but I'm pretty sure for average weekly sales without big releases GC struggled to hit 10K.

IF PS3 can stay around 25K, that's certainly better than what the GC was doing.

Paracelsus

schuelma said:
Josh can answer this better, but I'm pretty sure for average weekly sales without big releases GC struggled to hit 10K.

IF PS3 can stay around 25K, that's certainly better than what the GC was doing.

Gamecube first year's line up totally kicked PS3's line up's ass. Price is totally different too. They look similar only when you see those graphics.

farnham

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Gamecube first year's line up totally kicked PS3's line up's ass. Price is totally different too. They look similar only when you see those graphics.
Dynasty Warrior 5 - Million selling franchise
Winning Eleven 2008 - Million selling franchise
Gran Turismo Prologue - Million selling franchise
Gundam Musou - Probably would have sold millions on PS2

GC first year

Mario Sunshine
REmake
Zelda WW
Mario Party 4

thats it

jarrod

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Gamecube first year's line up totally kicked PS3's line up's ass.
1st party sure, but 3rd party? Not a chance... RE and SEGA stuff was basically all GC had going for it.

Sharp

spwolf said:
Get off your high horse, spwolf. You know as well as I do that most of the PS3's software in the UK, first and third party, would drop heavily if it weren't for retailer bundles.

Sharp said:
Get off your high horse, spwolf. You know as well as I do that most of the PS3's software in the UK, first and third party, would drop heavily if it weren't for retailer bundles.

Um, he's right insofar that a sale is a sale.

Sharp

Pureauthor said:
Um, he's right insofar that a sale is a sale.
Nonetheless, his implication that third-party software only sells on the Wii due to retailer bundles his hypocritical, at best. Anyway, that's irrelevant to this thread, which is about Japan, where third-party Wii software doesn't sell at all.

kswiston

farnham said:
Dynasty Warrior 5 - Million selling franchise
Winning Eleven 2008 - Million selling franchise
Gran Turismo Prologue - Million selling franchise
Gundam Musou - Probably would have sold millions on PS2

GC first year

Mario Sunshine
REmake
Zelda WW
Mario Party 4

thats it

All of those series listed for gamecube had million copy sellers as well.

- Mainline Mario games always did well in Japan. Mario 64 was fairly close to 2 million in Japan.

- Resident Evil was big stuff in Japan at one point. I'm pretty sure the first three on PS1 broke a million a piece.

- Other than Majora's Mask, console Zelda games used to be million sellers in Japan pre-gamecube

- If they didn't actually break 1 million copies, Mario Party 2 and 3 were pretty close I believe.

I don't really see what your point is.

farnham

Banned
kswiston said:

- Mainline Mario games always did well in Japan. Mario 64 was fairly close to 2 million in Japan.

- Resident Evil was big stuff in Japan at one point. I'm pretty sure the first three on PS1 broke a million a piece.

- Other than Majora's Mask, console Zelda games used to be million sellers in Japan pre-gamecube

- If they didn't actually break 1 million copies, Mario Party 2 and 3 were pretty close I believe.

im saying that the GC year one had a comparable lineup to the PS3 year one in terms of "softwares with high potential to sell well"

quality wise i think the GC exclusive lineup was better

Laguna

Banned
You forgot Minna no Golf 5 (million selling franchise on PS/PS2) Gran Tourismo5P and Virtua Fighter 5 (VF4 sold more than 700k)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Magicpaint said:
Galaxy!

And thus, Bye bye FFV and VI DS. Not that I'm complaining there. Enough with the remakes already.
550k is.... not that bad, lower than they were expecting sure but it'll be million WW seller. Im sure FF5r has already greenlighted.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Magicpaint said:
I know. I'm just angry the game isn't selling well, it's a very well done remake. :p And I blame the FF fatigue effect. So in that sense, I don't want a FFV/VI DS.

It'll still be a million seller WW and Square will make the monies. FFV is inevitable

Magicpaint said:
And thus, Bye bye FFV and VI DS. Not that I'm complaining there. Enough with the remakes already.

:( Third party sales on the system have been pretty low lately, first Tales of Innocence bombs and now FFIV does less than desired. I have a feeling the 2 other DQ remakes aren't going to do too hot, either. Dunno what's up. I feel it partly has to do with over-saturation but it may also have to do simply with Nintendo's overwhelming new nongamer userbase.

Tales of Innocence should clock in at about 200K though, so it isn't a complete disaster. Just ~20K more and it could become the best selling portable Tales. It's not at #25 anymore, though, so I doubt it'll sell much more.

Hopefully SE still considers V and VI remakes
and a VII remake
. :D

kswiston

farnham said:
im saying that the GC year one had a comparable lineup to the PS3 year one in terms of "softwares with high potential to sell well"

quality wise i think the GC exclusive lineup was better

I guess I can see that then. Unless a miracle happens to reverse it's fate in Japan, PS3 sales will always be relatively worse than Gamecube's in Japan, even though I'm sure it will eventually pass Gamecubes LTD in Japan. Gamecube was following the Nintendo 64, which I believe failed to break 6 million LTD in Japan. The PS3 was coming off the most successful home console of all time.

schuelma

Chris Michael said:
:( Third party sales on the system have been pretty low lately, first Tales of Innocence bombs and now FFIV does less than desired.

I don't know if that is fair- DQIV is already a million seller, comparable to console remakes.

And I think everyone expected ToI to do about what it has done.

Pureauthor said:
o_0

You are aware that DQIVDS has outsold the PS1 version?

Yes. But are people really going to be willing to buy another port a mere ~6 months down the line?

It's like if EA made a Madden game every few months as opposed to once a year. It just wouldn't be that smart of a business move. I'm also a little concerned for the quality of the remakes - from what we've seen of DQV, it reuses backgrounds from the IV remake and the sprites are looking a little wonky. I hope Enix can pull off good ports - it can't be easy making 3 3D remakes in such a small amount of time.

Minsc

Gold Member
Chris Michael said:
:( Third party sales on the system have been pretty low lately, first Tales of Innocence bombs and now FFIV does less than desired. I have a feeling the 2 other DQ remakes aren't going to do too hot, either. Dunno what's up. I feel it partly has to do with over-saturation but it may also have to do simply with Nintendo's overwhelming new nongamer userbase.

Tales of Innocence should clock in at about 200K though, so it isn't a complete disaster. Just ~20K more and it could become the best selling portable Tales. It's not at #25 anymore, though, so I doubt it'll sell much more.

Hopefully SE still considers V and VI remakes
and a VII remake
. :D

That's a mighty thin web you weave between failure and success.

Also, is picking a game from a overplayed series that comes after the series has been turned in to a pile of shit really the best way to gauge system sales? Why not just look at the number of titles from that system in the top 30 to see how sales are?

kswiston said:
I guess I can see that then. Unless a miracle happens to reverse it's fate in Japan, PS3 sales will always be relatively worse than Gamecube's in Japan, even though I'm sure it will eventually pass Gamecubes LTD in Japan.

PS3 doesn't really need a "miracle" to outsell GC LTD. I am still confident that it will happen eventually. It is just a matter of when, and how much it will outsell.

By the way, Shinobi has mentioned something interesting regarding a survey of "unplayed" console/portable in the last 6 months.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20080121/145788/

PSP is on the top, with 55.8% users saying they haven't played any game with their PSP in the last 6 months, which isn't really too surprising. What really surprises me a bit is that XB360 takes the 2nd place (32.4%) and even NDS, the king of softwares, takes the 3rd place (31.2%)

kswiston said:

At best it's even, "totally kicks PS3's lineup" is totally different. Honestly GC + good support is quite stretching.

Xeke

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Yes. But are people really going to be willing to buy another port a mere ~6 months down the line?

It's like if EA made a Madden game every few months as opposed to once a year. It just wouldn't be that smart of a business move. I'm also a little concerned for the quality of the remakes - from what we've seen of DQV, it reuses backgrounds from the IV remake and the sprites are looking a little wonky. I hope Enix can pull off good ports - it can't be easy making 3 3D remakes in such a small amount of time.

Except all the dragon quest games are different and Madden has been the same thing ever year for years.

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
Sonic dominating 2/10 spots. Sonic > PS3

I wonder if M&S can at least somewhat start to rehab Sonic in Japan. I doubt it, but its a thought I guess.

Top Bottom