• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/7 - 1/13 2008

Vinci

Danish
SovanJedi said:
Not that I would like to question such things (since I like Mario games and consider Galaxy to be the best game I played in years) but I wonder why Mario hasn't suffered the same fatigue that Final Fantasy has?

It could be the perceived quality value, but I imagine that for all its rehashing Final Fantasy still holds a strong perception of quality assurance, almost as well as Mario does... So could it be that despite the similarity of certain releases (i.e. the Mario Parties, Mario sports titles and Galaxy to Mario 64/Sunshine) they are at least perceived as new entries over a very wide spectrum of gaming genres, whereas Final Fantasy is focused mostly on porting and remaking previous entries in its almost entirely standard RPG-only back catalogue?

Or maybe people generally feel that Mario games are more fun to play than the average Final Fantasy game. I certainly don't think FF games are nearly as fun to play as Mario, though I'm admittedly not a big fan of the series compared to other RPGs like Dragon Quest. I also question whether Final Fantasy ever really achieved the same level of popularity that Mario has or the cultural familiarity. When kids recognize Mario easier than they do Mickey Mouse, it's no wonder that his visage continues to draw interest whilst the Final Fantasy franchise's constantly changing lineup doesn't.

Xeke

Banned
test_account said:
Has anyone kept track of revenue on the consoles?

I don't see why we even pay attention to revenue, I guess if they don't post their profit/losses it could be useful...

test_account

XP-39C²
Xeke said:
I don't see why we even pay attention to revenue, I guess if they don't post their profit/losses it could be useful...
It would still be interesting to see.

jman2050 said:
I'm sure wonderful posters like spwolf, Snah, tjhooker, and GottiDC are compiling them as we speak.
As long as the numbers are correct it doesnt matter to me who makes them :)

*Guaraná said:
why is that even important ?
To see how much money people have put into the consoles.

liuelson

*Guaraná said:
and that's important...why?

test_account said:
What do you mean with important? Personally i would find it interesting.

It would be interesting from the perspective of the overall growth (or loss) of the home console market compared to the same point last generation, adjusted for inflation, population, and average per-capita income. In other words, what percentage of their disposable income are people spending on home consoles this gen, compared to last gen, compared to what else they are spending on (handhelds, movies, travel, etc.)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Glad to see SMG still hanging in there. Pretty much guaranteed to go to 1 million sooner or later.

test_account

XP-39C²
liuelson said:
It would be interesting from the perspective of the overall growth (or loss) of the home console market compared to the same point last generation, adjusted for inflation, population, and average per-capita income. In other words, what percentage of their disposable income are people spending on home consoles this gen, compared to last gen, compared to what else they are spending on (handhelds, movies, travel, etc.)

Yep, i wouldnt mind if someone had some info about this :) I guess its kinda hard to make a list like this today if the data isnt already ready somewhere.

Vinnk

I will go to the stores again this week. Is there anything worth looking for?

I went last week and I couldn't find anything interesting enough to post.

Lots of DS lites, PSPs, Wii and PS3. No sellouts of any game. No advertising for Brawl. Really it was pretty barren, there wern't even many people looking at games.

Might be the same this week. Or is there something of note than might bring people out?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Vinnk said:

Lots of DS lites, PSPs, Wii and PS3. No sellouts of any game. No advertising for Brawl. Really it was pretty barren, there wern't even many people looking at games.

Might be the same this week. Or is there something of note than might bring people out?

I guess just check any Brawl hype. Seems like a pretty slow period huh?

ksamedi

Vinnk said:

Maybe DMC4 hype or expected sales in your village.

ksamedi

farnham said:
SSBX Vs. DMC4 will be one epic battle.. This will sure drive the japanese market in february..

I don't think there is any doubt that Smash will outsell it. Its the same as a soccer match between Italy and Malta.

schuelma

farnham said:
SSBX Vs. DMC4 will be one epic battle.. This will sure drive the japanese market in february..

I really don't think so.

apujanata

*Guaraná said:
and that's important...why?

With that, some console who has lower #, can still brag about their "biggest revenue #", like Microsoft did with Dec 07 NPD sales data. Even though its unit # is smaller than Wii, but because it's price per unit is higher, it can truthfully claim "#1 revenue console for Dec 07)". Whether you consider that significant achievement or not, it is up to each one of you.

Vinnk

ksamedi said:
Maybe DMC4 hype or expected sales in your village.

DMC4 has kiosks in every large store. Posters all over.

DMC is getting equal or greater promotion than Dynasty Warriors.

test_account

XP-39C²
apujanata said:
With that, some console who has lower #, can still brag about their "biggest revenue #", like Microsoft did with Dec 07 NPD sales data. Even though its unit # is smaller than Wii, but because it's price per unit is higher, it can truthfully claim "#1 revenue console for Dec 07)". Whether you consider that significant achievement or not, it is up to each one of you.

I dont think too many (atleast not anyone on this forum) would brag about the biggest revenue on a console to "promote" their favorite console if the loss is bigger than the income. I would say its some kind of achievement to have the highest revenue since it shows that people are willing to use alot of money on a product, but it wouldnt work to use revenue only to show which console that is doing it the best and brag about that. I'm pretty sure that is Nintendo even if the revenue should be lower (i dont think its lower actually, or if it is, then i dont think its much difference from Xbox 360 in this case) they are having the highest profit. But as you say, its up to each person to determain if he/she wants to look at this as an achievement or not.

EDIT: It looks like 360 have a higher revenue than Nintendo in USA than i thought. But i'm sure Nintendo have a much higher profit, atleast when it comes to hardware sales :)

Looking at this generations console revenue in Japan, Wii's revenue is at about 1,170,000,000 USD (it was 25k yen at launch and still is right?). PS3's revenue is abit harder to calculate due to 3 SKUs and pricedrops, but the average price between the 3 SKUs is 49,980 yen (about $468). But lets up it to $500. That would be 875,000,000 USD. Of course this is pretty rough calculation, but i'd say its a pretty safe bet to say that Wii's revenue is bigger than PS3's revenue. Not only that, Nintendo makes money on each sold Wii, Sony doesnt make money on each sold PS3 (if any at all). I didnt calculate 360's revenue but its smaller than Wii's and PS3's revenue for sure. When it comes to this genereation's consoles it wouldnt exactly work to brag about the highest revenue if the numbers are smaller, since Wii got both the highest numbers and most likely the highest revenue as well :)

I wouldnt mind to see a revenue chart for the last generations of consoles, preferably a graph that shows revenue from month to month, or even better, week to week. Then it would be easier to compare the revenue to this generation. Especially between Gamecube and PS3, since many compare these 2 consoles.

What i find the most interesting with revenue is to see how much money people have put into the hardware and how much they are willing to pay for it. For the people who buy the consoles it doesnt really matter if the company profits from it or not. They will only look at the retail price and deside out from that if they want to buy it or not.

donny2112

farnham said:
SSBX Vs. DMC4 will be one epic battle..

:lol

How can a massacre be described as an epic battle?

PS2 DMC1 555K (20011230)
PS2 DMC2 457K (20031228)
PS2 DMC3 281K (20051225)

Notice something similar about the system for those three games? Notice something different about the systems for DMC4?

Vinnk said:
Is there anything worth looking for?

How prevalent are used copies for FFIV?

CoolTrick

Banned
:lol You locked the thread containing perfectly valid sales data because it didn't have BOXARTS and the person who usually posts it wasn't around?

That's fine. Next time he's MIA, sit around and don't let the info come up even when it's sitting there because you need one precious person to post it for you. No sweat off my balls.

schuelma

CoolTrick said:
:lol You locked the thread containing perfectly valid sales data because it didn't have BOXARTS and the person who usually posts it wasn't around?

That's fine. Next time he's MIA, sit around and don't let the info come up even when it's sitting there because you need one precious person to post it for you. No sweat off my balls.

I think it is absolutely hilarious that you're still pissed about this after all those months :lol :lol

CoolTrick

Banned
And here is most of the information, because, ya know, the point is to post it when it's up:

1. (Wii) Wii Fit - 92,000/ 1,194,000
2. (DS) Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games - 90,000
3. (DS) Mario Party DS - 33,000 / 1,560,000
4. (Wii) Wii Sports 30,000 / 2,689,000
5. (PSP) Monster Hunter Portable 2 - 24,000 / 1,534,000
6. (DS) Professor Layton 2 - 22,000 / 730,000
7. (DS) Final Fantasy IV - 22,000 / 559,000
8. (Wii) Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games - 19,000 / 488,000
9. (DS) Dragon Quest IV - 18,000 / 1,161,000
10. (Wii) Super Mario Galaxy 16,000 / 835,000

-------------------------------

11. (DS) Mario Kart DS
12. (Wii) Hajimete no Wii
13. (Wii) Mario Party 8
14. (DS) Professor Layton and the Mysterious Village
15. (DS) New Super Mario Bros.
16. (PS3) Call of Duty 4
18. (DS) Animal Crossing: Wild World
21. (PSP) STAR OCEAN: First Departure
22. (Wii) Mario Strikers Charged
23. (PS2) World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008
24. (DS) DS Literature Collection
26. (DS) Tales of Innocence
29. (X360) Call of Duty 4

EDarkness

CoolTrick said:

I agree. What the hell is wrong with you guys? The information is perfectly valid, regardless of who puts it up there. And on top of that, you had to be rude to the guy. That's just not classy.

Lightning

Banned
CoolTrick said:

Bitter tear posts make you feel better or something?

The formatting in your thread sucked.

schuelma

jay said:
0 months?

Check his post history..I'm pretty sure he's the guy that has been bitching ever since Cheese took over the responsibilities.

CoolTrick

Banned
I think it is absolutely hilarious that you're still pissed about this after all those months

I almost never posted the Media Create stuff even before he came around. I just think this principle is utterly ridiculous. It's there, all the games with actual numbers are translated, why should making the font blue and adding in 5 box arts prevent the info from being posted?

Afterall, I only LOOKED and saw it was up because I was wondering what was taking so long.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
CoolTrick said:

Dont anger the nerds. They take this shit seriously.

CoolTrick

Banned

Well then by all means, bold, underline, whatever you need to. Just put the information up for christ's sake. No one needs to sit on their ass waiting for someone to post something when everyone else can do the same thing. If Cheesemeister is on, fine, but why delay the posting of it just....because? It makes no sense.

Lightning said:

The formatting was fine. Cheese puts more into his threads, but I care more about the information than the layout.

Thanks Cool. I can't believe that thread was locked.

jay

Lightning said:

I understand respecting and being grateful that some posters routinely provide information for us. This does not mean you should be a dick to other people who are providing information.

Chumly

CoolTrick said:

:lol :lol

Your STILL bitter?

schuelma

Forgotten Ancient said:
The formatting was fine. Cheese puts more into his threads, but I care more about the information than the layout.

Thanks Cool. I can't believe that thread was locked.

I have a feeling his thread was locked more because of his past non stop bitching about Cheesemaster more than anything else.

Top Bottom