• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/7 - 1/13 2008

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
wow if Monster Hunter was to be released for PS3. That game is doing wonders in Japan.

I wonder why Sony "allowed" the PS3 version to be canceled...

davepoobond said:
hey hey hey, this was a long time ago man. when all those people were saying mario galaxy would be sellin more than wii sports/play or whatever.

if its someone to mock, it was the other people from that thread from last year.

and the sun doesn't come up, we revolve around it.
Strange I can't seem to remember those people. How would SMG topple a 2m lead anyways? We all know Wii Sports will keep selling until Wii Sports 2 at least and if BT is an indication it'll still sell.

TTP said:
wow if Monster Hunter was to be released for PS3. That game is doing wonders in Japan.

I don't think the success on PSP can be directly translated to the home console versions (as sales numbers show us). I don't expect MH3 to be as successful as it's PSP counterparts and I don't think it would do wonders for the PS3 either. Now if the portable series would go to DS exclusively then Sony would have to worry.

Oh and posting the trannie is bad enough but why do people have to quote the damn picture a couple of times?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Phife Dawg said:
Strange I can't seem to remember those people. How would SMG topple a 2m lead anyways? We all know Wii Sports will keep selling until Wii Sports 2 at least and if BT is an indication it'll still sell.

People were predicting 500K first week and massive legs just a month prior to SMGs release. The game has picked up massive steam, but I don't think we need to go over the massive "omg SMG is a bomb" posts, do we?

Tenbatsu

TTP said:

Its like its not going to come out this year already when the platform is on the Wii. If they are making it for the PS3, I dont we can even see it before 2010.

ksamedi

Wii is becoming a cultural phenomenon like the DS.

PSP software sales are uuuh neglible, but I'm sure the hardware sales are not going unnoticed by Japanese devs, I think we could see a continuation of famous Playstation franchises on it.

PS3 is doomed in several ways, low userbase make its software sales look like that of the Cube, high development costs are scaring publishers away and these is no sign of it selling any better. The only thing that could give it momentum is FF13 which is more than a year away.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
viciouskillersquirrel said:
SMG will not be the title that people buy with their brand new Wii...

Not quite.

I know this is completely unrelated to Media Create sales, but it was either that or putting it in a new topic which would've been even worse. But my own mum, a 58-year-old woman, has purchased herself a Wii now - not for Wii Sports (which she actually hates because the realistic motions confuse her and she tries to move around the room to emulate them) or Wii Play, or Mario Party or Big Brain Academy or Carnival Games, but for Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Twilight Princess. She was on MSN talking to me while I was at work trying to get her through the first dungeon. I think she's already beaten the Baboon miniboss.

If nothing else, the Wii has managed to get my mum to do something that me and my family have been trying to get her to do for the last 15 years. She's now talking about getting Link to the Past on VC and playing that. Afterwards, who knows?

...anyway back on topic, keep on trucking little Galaxy! I know you can push a million. You've already beaten Sunshine so you're doing well! Also how does Mario Kart DS' sales rank among the other Mario Karts? Is it anywhere near overtaking the SNES original yet?

Kuramu said:
mario kart was hanging out in the sub-10, waiting for a blue shell

:lol good one

Strange charts this week, I reckon that it`s people catching up with library games (Strikers is a strange bump though, maybe it`s the minna no nintendo channel working it`s magic?)

I like this week`s chart :D

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
ksamedi said:
PSP software sales are uuuh neglible, but I'm sure the hardware sales are not going unnoticed by Japanese devs, I think we could see a continuation of famous Playstation franchises on it.

I'm sure that there are other... err... "phenomena" regarding the PSP that don't go unnoticed by Japanese devs.

Amirite, mateys? Arrrrrrr!!!

gconsole

TTP said:

Sony Rep : "We do not buy exclusive"

Lobster

Banned
TTP said:

Monster Hunter doesn't sell as well on consoles as it does on portables.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lobster said:
Monster Hunter doesn't sell as well on consoles as it does on portables.

Who knows. As far as I know, MH strenght is its online component (which PS3 could support and expand quite a bit), plus PSP-PS3 connectivity would allow some hot stuff that would lure PSP owners towards the PS3.

Edit: and whatever the sales of the console versions, MH is still a well known franchise is Japan. And god knows how much the PS3 needs some more of that.

test_account

XP-39C²
A pretty big jump for CoD4, both for PS3 and 360, not bad :) GT5P also hanging in there. Slower week now though so i would guess its "easier" to gain a higher position, but still, not too bad :)

TTP said:
plus PSP-PS3 connectivity would allow some hot stuff that would lure PSP owners towards the PS3.

I was thinking the same thing. A PSP - PS3 connectivity would works great. On the other side, Nintendo did try something simular with Pokemon for N64 and Gameboy and that didnt get too popular afaik. But that was like 10 years ago and it wasnt exactly the same thing, so who knows how popular PSP - PS3 connectivity on MH2 would work out :)

Fady K

test_account said:
A pretty big jump for CoD4, both for PS3 and 360, not bad :) GT5P also hanging in there. Slower week now though so i would guess its "easier" to gain a higher position, but still, not too bad :)

I was thinking the same thing. A PSP - PS3 connectivity would works great. On the other side, Nintendo did try something simular with Pokemon for N64 and Gameboy and that didnt get too popular afaik. But that was like 10 years ago and it wasnt exactly the same thing, so who knows how popular PSP - PS3 connectivity on MH2 would work out :)

Agreed, and hey I bet the online would work better too.

Frillen

The Monster Hunter franshise has become way bigger after the two portable iterations, so MH3 has potential to become way more successfull than MH and MH2.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Frillen said:
The Monster Hunter franshise has become way bigger after the two portable iterations, so MH3 has potential to become way more successfull than MH and MH2.

I think historically there have been more cases of franchises that are bigger or smaller on handhelds than consoles than cases of franchises that don't care where they are but get bigger or smaller over time.

What franchise did you have in mind to think of things this way?

gconsole

Stumpokapow said:
I think historically there have been more cases of franchises that are bigger or smaller on handhelds than consoles than cases of franchises that don't care where they are but get bigger or smaller over time.

What franchise did you have in mind to think of things this way?

Monster Hunter :p

The first game sold around 200K
then the portable version release and sold around 900K
then the second game sold around 500K
and then the second portable version sold around 1.5M
If the third one release on the same console, it really has the potential to surpass 500K

LOCK

Wii Fit is only limited by supply it seems, cause its legs are monster.

2mil here we come.

Mario can jump to a million also.

Cheesemeister said:
I know overall this game bombed and all (for a main entry title), but could it be that ToI could potentially have wiped off that nasty TotT stigma? The way it hangs around the Top 30 leads me to believe that there's at least a *tiny* bit of good -decent word of mouth about it (as there should be, because it's a good game), bodes well for the next DS... lol...

...well Tales of Vesperia, at least.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gconsole said:
Monster Hunter :p

The first game sold around 200K
then the portable version release and sold around 900K
then the second game sold around 500K
and then the second portable version sold around 1.5M
If the third one release on the same console, it really has the potential to surpass 500K

I'm not sure what your claim is here. The series has a base popularity of 200k, it increases by 150k per game, and handheld games get an additional 550-800k just for being on handhelds? That's the consequence of making the assumption that the game can simultaneously be considered separate on portables and consoles and as a continuous franchise that will continue to grow.

This would mean that we can expect the Wii MH3 to do 800k and the next portable installment to do 1.8-2.1 million units? I don't think so, to be quite honest.

The problem is that when you're dealing with a data set this small, the margin of error on this prediction is ludicrously high. I don't have access to a calculator (or paper) right now so I can't give you a prediction interval on a linear regression versus a multivariate regression assuming "handheld" as a dummy variable. There are an infinite amount of polynomial models capable of expressing a pattern found in two data points, though, so ultimately looking at the sales of just the console or just the handheld games are useless.

So basically any prediction done on this stuff is going to be based on a "gut feeling" heuristic, and I'm not sure the data supports that without comparable other "handheld-console division/always grows" modeled franchises. When I think of franchises that span handhelds and consoles, I see many examples of games selling better on handhelds (Pokemon, non-games as a genre, Mario, Kirby, for example) or better on consoles (GTA, Tales of, Final Fantasy, for example) but no examples of a franchise steadily growing regardless of console/handheld OR steadily growing AND maintaining a handheld/console division.

LOCK said:
Wii Fit is only limited by supply it seems, cause its legs are monster.

I'm not sure that "long legs" means "limited by supply". Tetris DS might pump out another 20k every week since release, but it doesn't mean that Nintendo could ship 200k next week and have sales rise. Although I'd not be hugely surprised if the unit was sold out since peripheral based games are so irregular from an inventory POV that they are vastly more likely to be sold out after release than normal games.

JavyOO7

Mario Kart Wii better be as good as the DS version. The DS version is #2 in my list right behind SNES Mario Kart with N64 Mario Kart at 3.

JavyOO7 said:
Mario Kart Wii better be as good as the DS version. The DS version is #2 in my list right behind SNES Mario Kart with N64 Mario Kart at 3.
MK DS is by far my favourite in the series, so I'm glad it's selling so well. Best DS game IMO as well.

linsivvi

One thing people have to keep in mind is that a big part of the Monster Hunter series is the co-op play. To play MH1 and MH2 online with the PS2 in Japan, you have to pay a monthly fee (900 yen when I signed up) to a service called KDDI, which also allow you to play a bunch of other online games. Not too expensive, but it is a fee and not every PS2 is online-ready. I would say most people who bought the PS2 games were playing it as a single player game. That should partially explain why the PSP games are much more popular, as offline multi still make the game much more enjoyable than their PS2 counterparts.

I think that's one big advantage that MH3 will have over MH1 and MH2.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Totalriot said:
But hardcore games tend to be very frontloaded.

Both can be the case simultaneously.

IE
"Toe Training 6: Dr. Funkenstein Teaches You To Tapdance" sells like this:
100,000 50,000 25,000 18,000 15,000 14,000 13,500, 13,000 12,799, 13,100 ... (pattern of slow decline / stable sales)

"Ultra Destroyer: Fist of the Rising Empire" sells like this:
200,000 40,000 11,000 10,000 8,400 ... (pattern of quick decline / frontloaded sales)

Now, during the holidays, we have a three week period for each. Pre-holiday, peak-of-holiday-bump, post-holiday.

TT6: DFTYTT:
13,100 65,000 10,500

UD: FotRE
8,400 16,000 6,000

Make sense?

Both COD4 versions nearly sold out on their first weeks, then being mostly sold out plus a big week made them go down the tops. Then, both seems to have been restocked plus being a normal week has made them go up by a lot.

ksamedi

Stumpokapow said:

IE
100,000 50,000 25,000 18,000 15,000 14,000 13,500, 13,000 12,799, 13,100 ... (pattern of slow decline / stable sales)

200,000 40,000 11,000 10,000 8,400 ... (pattern of quick decline / frontloaded sales)

Now, during the holidays, we have a three week period for each. Pre-holiday, peak-of-holiday-bump, post-holiday.

13,100 65,000 10,500

8,400 16,000 6,000

Make sense?
:lol

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Battersea Power Station said:
Yeah, but you implied that the sun rises and sets because we revolve around it (or rotate around it, according to you via Word). That's incorrect. The sun rises and sets because Earth rotates around its own axis.

right, but it wouldn't be totally untrue that the sun would come up if we didn't rotate around its own axis. If we were in tidal lock around the sun, similar to the moon, it doesn't mean that the sun would never come up, it would just take half a year for night, half a year for day :p

just pm me if you want to talk more about this.

ksamedi

davepoobond said:
right, but it wouldn't be totally untrue that the sun would come up if we didn't rotate around its own axis. If we were in tidal lock around the sun, similar to the moon, it doesn't mean that the sun would never come up, it would just take half a year for night, half a year for day :p

BTW, your prediction that Mario Galaxy would sell less than Wiisports was an easy one. Wiisports will probably outsell all Wii games except for maybe WiiFit. I think it will even outsell the best selling Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games. I think Pokemon is out of reach.

davepoobond

ksamedi said:
BTW, your prediction that Mario Galaxy would sell less than Wiisports was an easy one. Wiisports will probably outsell all Wii games except for maybe WiiFit. I think it will even outsell the best selling Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games. I think Pokemon is out of reach.

i know...

Stumpokapow said:

IE

13,100 65,000 10,500

8,400 16,000 6,000

Make sense?

You would be one hell of a game designer ... at least for title names .

Anyway how many million sellers does the DS in japan have in japan right now ?

NSMB
FF3
DragonQuest 4
Pokepuke
Nintendogs
Brainlobotomy
Mario Party ds
Mario Kart ds
Animal crossing
English training
Common sense

Anyone ?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Knastluder said:
Anyway how many million sellers does the DS in japan have in japan right now ?
Anyone ?

>5M Pokemon DP, NSMB
>4M Brain Training 2, Animal Crossing
>3M Brain Training
>2M Mario Kart DS, English Training
>1M Nintendogs, Common Sense Training, Big Brain Academy, DQM:J, Pokemon MD 2, Mario Party, Tetris, WarioWare, Tamagotchi Corner Shop, Kirby Squeak Squad, Love and Berry, FF3, DQIV, Mario 64 DS

I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two so check Japan-Gamecharts.com or Joshua's site if you want to look it up yourself.

Frillen

skinnyrattler said:
Did we get some numbers from Famitsu? I know we have to wait but did anything else leak for this week?

DSL 103000
PSP 84000
Wii 82000
PS3 34000
PS2 15000
360 5500

1.(WII) Wii Fit 93000 (1005000)
2.(NDS) Mario Party DS 52000 (1493000)
3.(WII) Wii Sports 41000 (2633000)
4.(WII) Wii Play 26000 (2120000)
5.(NDS) Layton 2 23000 (697000)
6.(NDS) Final Fantasy IV 20000 (547000)
7.(PSP) Monster Hunter Portable 2 20000 (1551000)
8.(WII) Mario & Sonic At the Olympics 20000 (457000)
9.(NDS) Mario Kart DS 19000 (2783000)
10.(NDS) Rune Factory 2 18000 (74000)

Other:

11.(WII) Super Mario Galaxy 18000 (827000)
12.(WII) Mario Party 8 16000 (1138000)
13.(NDS) Dragon Quest IV 16000 (1139000)
15.(PSP) Star Ocean 1 14000 (175000)
16.(PS2) Worlod Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 13000 (595000)
17.(NDS) New Super Mario Bros. 13000 (5051000)
18.(NDS) Animal Crossing Wild World 12000 (4554000)
19.(PS3) Call of Duty 4 11000 (50000)
20.(NDS) Layton 11000 (803000)
21.(NDS) Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon 2 11000 (1313000)
24.(NDS) More Brain Training 9100 (4816000)
25.(PSP) Hot Shots Golf Portable 2 9000 (194000)
26 (NDS) Household Diary 8300 (396000)
27.(WII) Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles 8200 (242000)
28.(NDS) Pokemon Diamond & Pearl 7900 (5425000)

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
davepoobond said:

:lol It wouldn't be totally untrue, but that's still not how it works.:D

Sorry, for all that. I knew what you meant, I just wanted to give you a hard time over something ridiculously stupid. I've been getting frustrated at the number arguments started by people using the wrong words and instead of ending things be clarify what they meant, they fight more be defending their mistake. It happens too much around here and I think Raw64 was just my tipping point.

I shouldn't have taken out on you. I'm sorry. Hug?

Christine

JJConrad said:

Sorry, for all that. I knew what you meant, I just wanted to give you a hard time over something ridiculously stupid. I've been getting frustrated at the number arguments started by people using the wrong words and instead of ending things be clarify what they meant, they fight more be defending their mistake. It happens too much around here and I think Raw64 was just my tipping point.

Do You Realize - that you have the most beautiful face
Do You Realize - we're floating in space -
Do You Realize - that happiness makes you cry
Do You Realize - that everyone you know someday will die

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes - let them know
You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun don'-go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

Do You Realize - Oh - Oh - Oh
Do You Realize - that everyone you know
Someday will die -

And instead of saying all of your goodbyes - let them know
You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun don'-go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning round

Do You Realize - that you have the most beautiful face
Do You Realize

davepoobond

JJConrad said:

sure sure. i'm not a spiteful man.

::eek:pens arms, ready for embrace::

Top Bottom