• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/1 - 10/7 2007

_Alkaline_ said:
WHAT THE FUCK at DBZ Wii - it sells worse that its predecessor despite coming out with a much larger userbase?

WHAT

THE

FUCK
I'd wager that they didn't succeed in bringing in new players to the series and that the fanbase is pretty much limited to the one of the first games. It seems that a large part of that fanbase hasn't moved to Wii and that the incentive for the fanbase that did move to Wii to buy this again - the online mode - is simply not big enough in Japan.

LRB1983

Banned
01. [PS2] Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! Meteor (Bandai-Namco) - 204,000 / NEW
04. [WII] Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! Meteor (Bandai-Namco) - 40,000 / NEW

I said wow!

Time to develop REUC for PS2 XD

sakuragi

Banned
Is it really a surprise that conventional games do not sell on the Wii? Looking at the games that did sell well on the Wii, most of them were tailor made for it and really took advantage of the Wii remote. People will buy conventional games on conventional consoles, and unique games on unique consoles. You heard it from me first folks.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
LRB1983 said:

I said wow!

Time to develop REUC for PS2 XD
YES! :D

:lol

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Too bad for ASH, but didn't it just reemerge a month ago after being on a hiatus for two years? That certainly wasn't good for the game. What strategy RPGs are really big in Japan though? Even the recent FFT and FE games only do about 200, 300k, don't they? I think the original FFT was a big hit, and maybe FFTA, but I haven't seen too many big games outside of those.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
_Alkaline_ said:
WHAT THE FUCK at DBZ Wii - it sells worse that its predecessor despite coming out with a much larger userbase?

WHAT

THE

FUCK

It actually sold virtually on par with its predecessor, despite the fact that absolutely nothing of substance has been added and the launch hype has died down.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I probably won't buy the new DBZ game and got the last one because really, do I need to go through the entire saga again? Will it change that much? I will probably get it for cheap a year down the road though because the last one was a lot of fun.

sakuragi said:
Is it really a surprise that conventional games do not sell on the Wii? Looking at the games that did sell well on the Wii, most of them were tailor made for it and really took advantage of the Wii remote. People will buy conventional games on conventional consoles, and unique games on unique consoles. You heard it from me first folks.
So you're saying Super Paper Mario really took advantage of the Wii controller? (sold 470.820, more than everything released for PS3) Or Fire Emblem? (sold 153.197, more than RR7, VF5, AC4, NG) Or the first DBZ? Since the second doesn't really take advantage of the Wii controls according to you the first didn't either. (sold 157.784)

OK dude.

AlternativeUlster said:
I probably won't buy the new DBZ game and got the last one because really, do I need to go through the entire saga again? Will it change that much? I will probably get it for cheap a year down the road though because the last one was a lot of fun.
If you don't care for online I don't think you should get this. It adds the ability for you to change the outcome of the campaign by your performance but I don't know if it works well or anything. I'll probably get this since I didn't get the first and my bro loves DBZ so we can go at it online.

Jokeropia

sakuragi said:
The best selling conventional Wii game has outsold the best selling conventional PS3 game. (This is true even if you only count third parties!)

Grampasso

Mgoblue201 said:
Too bad for ASH, but didn't it just reemerge a month ago after being on a hiatus for two years? That certainly wasn't good for the game. What strategy RPGs are really big in Japan though? Even the recent FFT and FE games only do about 200, 300k, don't they? I think the original FFT was a big hit, and maybe FFTA, but I haven't seen too many big games outside of those.
Mmmmh... Super Robot Taisen?
Anyway, thanks and welcome back Cheesemeister.
In the end that "English Test 2" from the last week turned to be actually "Kanji Test 2"?

Lobster

Banned
sakuragi said:

Eh?

Every Wii game thats advantage of the Wii remote.

Zelda isn't unique
Re4 isn't unique
Red Steel isn't unique
One Piece isn't unique
Fifa 08 isn't unique
Excite Truck isn't unique

Those games sold well on Wii...I could probably list more conventional games if I were bothered.

ziran

Kildace said:
Doubt it, anyone who wants to play SMG already owns a Wii.

Your post is complete fucking bollocks!

At least have a go at trying to understand what I wrote if you're going to attempt a reply.

Have another go, go on, you'll feel better, and to make it easier, I agree with you to an extent, many people who want SMG already have a Wii.

Mojojo

LRB1983 said:

Are they sold at the same price? I checked at amazon jp, and there is 1500 yen difference between the PS2 and Wii version, so it could explain a lot too.

Kildace

ziran said:

Your post is complete fucking bollocks!

At least have a go at trying to understand what I wrote if you're going to attempt a reply.

Have another go, go on, you'll feel better, and to make it easier, I agree with you to an extent, many people who want SMG already have a Wii.

I suck at sarcasm, sorry :(

test_account

XP-39C²
Frillen said:
Yeah, the DS will either this or next week again be on top.

I think he was refering to Cheesemeister, not the DS ;) Could be the DS too of course. But ye, DS will probly be number 1 next week or possible this week.

spwolf

Lobster said:
Eh?

Every Wii game thats advantage of the Wii remote.

Zelda isn't unique
Re4 isn't unique
Red Steel isn't unique
One Piece isn't unique
Fifa 08 isn't unique
Excite Truck isn't unique

Those games sold well on Wii...I could probably list more conventional games if I were bothered.

urgh, PSP port outsold Wii version, you call that "sold well"? And judging by gaf's thread, Fifa for Wii is good game too. It becomes increasingly obvious that traditional games wont sell great for Wii.

ziran

Kildace said:
I suck at sarcasm, sorry :(
If you were being sarcastic, fair enough ;)

The problem is it's difficult to know, and let's face it, even those who think they're good at it aren't.

Koren

spwolf said:
urgh, PSP port outsold Wii version, you call that "sold well"?
PSP installed base is twice as large as Wii's, no ?

Besides this, Tigerwoods 08 sold very well on Wii when compared to others platforms, if I'm not mistaken ?

ksamedi

spwolf said:
urgh, PSP port outsold Wii version, you call that "sold well"? And judging by gaf's thread, Fifa for Wii is good game too. It becomes increasingly obvious that traditional games wont sell great for Wii.

It is a good game, but much better on the PS3/360 and PSP.

ksamedi

Koren said:

Besides this, Tigerwoods 08 sold very well on Wii when compared to others platforms, if I'm not mistaken ?

Tiger Woods actually made sense on Wii and implemented 1 to 1 golf controls. I think thats what important for sports games on Wii to be succesfull.

Grampasso said:
In the end that "English Test 2" from the last week turned to be actually "Kanji Test 2"?

Unless I've forgotten how to read. o_O

財団法人日本漢字能力検定協会公認漢検DS2+常用漢字辞典 = Kanji Test 2
英検DS ~旺文社英検書シリーズ準拠~ = English Test DS

07./00. [NDS] Kanji Test 2 (Rocket Co.) - 28,301 / NEW
16./00. [NDS] English Test DS (Rocket Co.)

Koren said:

Wii's installed base is higher than PS3's though and it outsold both Wii and PSP version. There are lots of reasons for that but we got that covered mainly in the PAL charts thread (btw sp is speaking of UK sales here).

Tiger Woods on the other hand is not a traditional game because it doesn't fit certain agendas. Also if a game sells too much it's not traditional anymore as well. We've been over this before.

Oh and don't forget Nintendo published games don't count. Got to keep up with the rules man.

spwolf said:

Whatever.

Red Steel = traditional game = 1 millon + sales.

Resident Evil 4 = traditional game (and a 2 year old port i might add) = 500k+ sales

Super Paper Mario = traditional game = 1 million + sales

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess = traditional game = 3 or 4 million or whatever + sales

I would keep going, but i can't be fucked.

It is a good game, but much better on the PS3/360 and PSP.

False.

Xavien

TJ Spyke said:
It's Mistwalker.

Whoops, was tired last night.

Anyway i was hoping that someone would look past the misspelling and look at the content of the post.

I expected too much from GAF it seems :(

ethelred

Remember back in the day when the DS was doing swimmingly in Japan against the PSP and Monorojo (the master of deceptive statistics and pro-Sony sales spin) kept trying to insert worldwide sales into every discussion in order to tilt things more in his favor? As I recall, every Nintendo fan shot him down every time -- "this is a Media Create thread, stop trying to take focus away from Japan!"

Koren said:

ksamedi said:
Tiger Woods actually made sense on Wii and implemented 1 to 1 golf controls. I think thats what important for sports games on Wii to be succesfull.

_Alkaline_ said:
Whatever.

Red Steel = traditional game = 1 millon + sales.

Resident Evil 4 = traditional game (and a 2 year old port i might add) = 500k+ sales

Super Paper Mario = traditional game = 1 million + sales

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess = traditional game = 3 or 4 million or whatever + sales

Ahhh, memories.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If Famitsu is correct, its going to be another dip for Wii hardware. With no releases the next 3 weeks..is it possible that Wii hardware comes close to or matches PS3 for that last week?

I think its possible.

If hardware goes down to 20K this week, and it keeps dropping the next three weeks......

ethelred

schuelma said:
If Famitsu is correct, its going to be another dip for Wii hardware. With no releases the next 3 weeks..is it possible that Wii hardware comes close to or matches PS3 for that last week?

I think its possible.

If hardware goes down to 20K this week, and it keeps dropping the next three weeks......

.... then things'll be off to a great start.

Since we have reached insecure posts faster than 3rd page (use 100-posts, double everything :p) I may add some other discussion.

X360 Elite launches this week, along PGR4. Also releasing today: Lair PS3 and Tecmo's Detective Adventure for DS.

So next week we could see something like Wii <20k and X360 > 10k > PS3. Wouldn't it be awesome? Probably not, but some meltdowns could cause bannings which would be awesome seeing latest MC threads.

ethelred said:
Remember back in the day when the DS was doing swimmingly in Japan against the PSP and Monorojo (the master of deceptive statistics and pro-Sony sales spin) kept trying to insert worldwide sales into every discussion in order to tilt things more in his favor? As I recall, every Nintendo fan shot him down every time -- "this is a Media Create thread, stop trying to take focus away from Japan!"

Ahhh, memories.
Well we got the official OK from Dragona that discussion of international sales is allowed in mc threads.

Besides the ones you are quoting were only reacting to spwolf stating that Fifa 08 Wii was outsold by the PSP version (in UK).

edit:
schuelma said:

I think its possible.

Wii dipping is likely but I guess PS3 sales will dip as well before the announced price drop on the 60 gig and the launch of the 40 gig ceramic white (which imo looks way better than the piano black one).

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Since we have reached insecure posts faster than 3rd page (use 100-posts, double everything :p) I may add some other discussion.

X360 Elite launches this week, along PGR4. Also releasing today: Lair PS3 and Tecmo's Detective Adventure for DS.

So next week we could see something like Wii <20k and X360 > 10k > PS3. Wouldn't it be awesome? Probably not, but some meltdowns could cause bannings which would be awesome seeing latest MC threads.
Do you think Elite will propel 360 over 10k? Seems only possible if a lot of the excisting 360 owners upgrade.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

PS3 does better 10k without games, what makes you think Lair would cause it to dip below that? Also Halo caused 360 sales to jump +4k, I doubt will be higher than 10k this week even with the elite and PGR4. The elite didnt cause any jump on US it actually lowered sales if I am not mistaken why would it cause a jump in Japan?

mabuza

Banned
ps3 price drop, eye of judgement, imabi kisou and gt5 prologue all coming before galaxy means the ps3 will outsell wii before order is restored. but it will be a nice pr for sony though.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
mabuza said:
ps3 price drop, eye of judgement, imabi kisou and gt5 prologue all coming before galaxy means the ps3 will outsell wii before order is restored. but it will be a nice pr for sony though.
Rachet and Clank games do well in Japan as well.

PistolGrip said:
PS3 does better 10k without games, what makes you think Lair would cause it to dip below that? Also Halo caused 360 sales to jump +4k, I doubt will be higher than 10k this week even with the elite and PGR4. The elite didnt cause any jump on US it actually lowered sales if I am not mistaken why would it cause a jump in Japan?
Lair is so bad it's release actually keeps people from buying a PS3.

Joking aside, with the price cut coming October 17th I'd guess a lot of people will hold out buying a PS3 this week up until the reporting period ends.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
When was the last RPG published by Nintendo that people actually bought?
And I'm not talking about "Mario Branded" titles.

Super Mario RPG?

Nintendo mascot fans just don't buy RPGs. Nintendo's current fanbase is vastly comprised of mascot/Nintendo-developed games. Nintendo published RPGs are neither developed by nor contain Nintendo mascots. Therefor, they do not sell.

I'm really glad they keep trying though; they just need to build a larger base of regular gamers and titles like ASH will start selling better. Hopefully FF and DQ will help tilt the balance, but again, those are just another breed of mascot fans in their own right, aint they.

Top Bottom