• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/29 - 11/4 2007

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Smiles and Cries said:
People saying Galaxy will be on the charts yada yada yada, NO Galaxy needed to do most of its sales right now in the next few weeks before December 1st. BEFORE Wii Fit

I'm not even sure if Galaxy will catch Wii Sports if we don't see the same level sales for next week. I mean no drop at all or maybe break 300k next week and all will be forgiven Japan. Do it buy this game dammit!

Don't you people understand if this game does not beat the non-game madness we will be stuck with Wii Fit games for the next 5 years?

Joke post?

1.) Galaxy will never catch Wii Sports. Wii Sports is the single most influential game this generation and is nearly solely responsible for the outrageous explosion that is the Wii. You're nuts if you thought Galaxy ever had a chance.

2.) You're also a damn loon if you think that Nintendo is going to cancel their fantastic traditional gaming lineup because the don't perform as well as their non-games. Franchises like Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, and Metroid have continued to live on despite non-earth shattering sales.

mutsu

You cannot compare Mario with Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest is the single most popular RPG brand in Japan that sells 3-4 million for every almost single single numbered entry. Mario is a strong brand no doubt, but it is known to be a brand with long legs. Give it 1 year and we will be able to see.

Brak

Green Shinobi said:
I don't think I've ever mentioned that one of my favorite GAF fads is this weird notion that Mario Sunshine sucked.
It didn't suck, but it sucked compared to every other Mario game.

knkng said:
Personally, I'm more concerned with the Japanese migration to handheld and cellphone games. Don't get me wrong, I love handhelds, but the Japanese console market looks like it collapsing in on itself. As for the cellphone games, I don't even understand that shit...I mean, really, how do they play games on those things?
You know what? I don't think the console market is any deader than it was during the PS2 generation. Wasn't there a time not too long ago, when the number 9 and 10 spots would sell maybe 2,000 units a piece?

I don't think it's a case of console gaming dying, but rather settling back to normal after an astronomical Wii launch and being eclipsed by a new, much larger handheld market.

mutsu said:
You cannot compare Mario with Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest is the single most popular RPG brand in Japan that sells 3-4 million for every almost single single numbered entry. Mario is a strong brand no doubt, but it is known to be a brand with long legs. Give it 1 year and we will be able to see.

I remember when Mario use to mean something... It did not beat "Dragon Quest for babies" so yeah I have issue with that.

Okay come on guys lets talk about PS3, I'm getting depressed here

mj1108 said:
Just bookmarking for crow later on when this title ends up with legs.

Trick question.

I expect Galaxy to beat Wii Sports no matter what they say, I'll stick to my dream

trick question? no. its the holiday season I wanted to know what PS3 has coming since I saw the 360 had a nice software bump for AC

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Smiles and Cries said:

PS3 BOMBA 360 WILL OUTSELL IT HOLY **** AT IDOLM@STER SONY IS DOOOOOOOMMEEDD!

That will either make you feel astronomically better or astronomically worse. Either way, I regret nothing.

ag-my001

Can I ask anyone over in Japan what the advertising was like in the lead up? I ask only because I haven't seen a single TV spot for it in the US (while being bombarded by Vision Training ads).

Lightning

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
I remember when Mario use to mean something... It did not beat "Dragon Quest for babies" so yeah I have issue with that.

Can dish the shit to other systems but can't take it on your own? Nice.

The PS3 has nothing this week, next week and won't have anything until the 11th.

Mario Galaxy is going to do Sunshine numbers, end of story. Mario fans am cry!

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
I'm sure there is just a group of people who couldn't find a Wii to buy so they couldn't get Galaxy.

I mean, it's logical to assume that there are people who have yet to be interested enough by what the Wii has to pick it up(I'm one of them) but would gladly get one for Galaxy and Brawl and then, blah, still sold out to those pesky 7 and 70 year olds playing Wii Sports.

Plus, they made the game anyways. So you get to play it. This isn't a poll of interest, it'll be here in a week.

knkng

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
You know what? I don't think the console market is any deader than it was during the PS2 generation. Wasn't there a time not too long ago, when the number 9 and 10 spots would sell maybe 2,000 units a piece?

I don't think it's a case of console gaming dying, but rather settling back to normal after an astronomical Wii launch and being eclipsed by a new, much larger handheld market.
Yeah, you're right, but it still seems like pulling teeth to me. They flat-out reject the 360, the PS3 is in a dead-end rut, and the Wii is selling primarily to casuals. What the hell happened to all the gamers in Japan? Did they die within the last year?

*Looks at DS/PSP sales*

Oh nevermind, I found them.

Lightning said:

The PS3 has nothing this week, next week and won't have anything until the 11th.

what you talking about? I've been talking about Super Mario Galaxy for weeks now, I have the most posts on the official Galaxy thread. I came in here expecting Japan to buy it in massive amounts but they did not. Super Mario Galaxy talk is getting me bored. I want to talk about PS3 software, I dunno why people have to take it like a joke or be offended just because I want to talk about the PS3. I could not care less about this fanboy bullshit.

I am very interested in seeing the PS3 turn it around like the PSP is doing so put a sock in it and post something about the PS3 without an attack

Mudhoney

Hopefully SMG will attract more hardcore gamers to the Wii, same for SSBB. Maybe I'm just too optimistic but perhaps the situation with Wii's userbase and growth rate is one that will cause AAA games like Galaxy to sell well after the first few weeks rather than just the first week. More hardcore Wii gamers over time could put the trend back to normal (first week or bust).

I guess Zelda's performance on Wii in Japan could be a snag in my thoughts though... hmm.

Mashing

Just chalk it up to Japan being crazy about handheld games. If SMG was a DS game it would have sold 700k+ in the first week. Other than that, it just seems to me that Japan doesn't buy as many games as they used too. This years game sales have been disappointing.

Lightning

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
what you talking about? I've been talking about Super Mario Galaxy for weeks now, I have the most posts on the official Galaxy thread. I came in here expecting Japan to buy it in massive amounts but they did not. Super Mario Galaxy talk is getting me bored. I want to talk about PS3 software, I dunno why people have to take it like a joke or be offended just because I want to talk about the PS3. I could not care less about this fanboy bullshit.

I am very interested in seeing the PS3 turn it around like the PSP is doing so put a sock in it and post something about the PS3 without an attack
The PS3 doesn't have any releases, there is not a lot to say about it.

Ratchet & DW6 release on the 11th with the 40GB but until then nothing can be said about the PS3 except it's sales both hardware and software will struggle. Mario Galaxy everyone expected to sell through the roof and provide a massive hardware boost, didn't happen, much more convo specific topic that to find out why Japan did not buy Mario Galaxy.

Meier

Smiles and Cries said:
If thats all Super Mario Galaxy is going to sell the first week and I'm not saying it wont have legs but seriously if that is all it is selling then there is no reason not to move on to New IPs

give those a chance they can't do worst, its not like there are no great CMs running in Japan right now for SMG

New IPs probably won't sell upwards of 2 million units in their first month of NPD sales.. which I think SMG will. The number is disappointing, but it will have fantastic legs until Golden Week.. should easily surpass 1 million in Japan by the end of January. Should be almost at 3.5 or so million by that point in the US.

x3sphere

Wow, surprised at Mario Galaxy numbers. Sunshine did about 400,000 in its first week. Though, I think with the Wii's userbase, it will eventually surpass Sunshine in terms of sales. Or, I hope so, at least.

Wait where the hell is Oopona Matata?

Lightning said:
The PS3 doesn't have any releases, there is not a lot to say about it.

Ratchet & DW6 release on the 11th with the 40GB but until then nothing can be said about the PS3 except it's sales both hardware and software will struggle. Mario Galaxy everyone expected to sell through the roof and provide a massive hardware boost, didn't happen, much more convo specific topic that to find out why Japan did not buy Mario Galaxy.

I did not remember the release dates for those in Japan, I also did not know the 40gb was not out yet.

There was a time in Media Create threads when we could talk about upcoming releases, I just thought I would ask. Since the OP are last week's numbers I thought there would be some news about what came out this week.

Nintendo must change their focus for Wii audience in Japan immediately.

After seeing Twilight Princess and Dragon Quest Swords (adding Super Mario Galaxy now) underwhelming sales and overrated sales of Wii Sports, Wii Play and Mario Party 8, I really get worried for Nintendo future there.

Huge lolz at the people getting sandy vagina about Galaxy and trying to stir shit up against the PS3 when nothing even released for it this week.
Galaxy is a great game and will have legs.

quest

Not Banned from OT
TreasureHunterG said:

After seeing Twilight Princess and Dragon Quest Swords (adding Super Mario Galaxy now) underwhelming sales and overrated sales of Wii Sports, Wii Play and Mario Party 8, I really get worried for Nintendo future there.

I don't because the DS is still cleaning up. The market in japan has changed is all we have seen it for the last few years. Handheld gaming has taken over japan. The best selling titles on the Wii it seems are handheld style games. Games that are easy to pick up and you can play for a short period of time and put it down like Wii sports and other mini games. Traditional console gaming has been dead in japan for some time I think some held out hope that ninendo could break that trend but it can not. While console gaming might be dead in the east it is still alive and kicking in the west. I am sure SMG will clean up this xmass in NA.

Not to harsh on Super Mario Galaxy (which I will be buying) but I've never thought the 3D Mario platformers were ever as good as the 2D games. Perhaps Japan feels the same.

tanod

when is my burrito
Smiles and Cries said:
Okay enough about Galaxy

lets talk about PS3 software now

I'd say that the indications from Famitsu as well as the software numbers vs. the 360 titles means a crossing of streams is pretty well guaranteed this week.

mutsu said:
Has anyone on GAF played Winning Eleven DS Goal to Goal? Anyone has impressions?

It's a pretty good game, a huge improvement over the first WE for DS (who sucks terrible). It plays like the best WE games from PSX. I didn't play it much to give a complete impression because I can't stand japanese at all.

Have the MC threads all become like this? Does everyone just believe the story of the week and not think about the numbers?

Compare the Wii numbers to the PS2 numbers at the same point in its lifetime and tell me what you see. You see comparable sales over the same sorts of time periods. The problem is that all of you fail to see that due to the DS's huge numbers altering your perceptions.

Give it time. Console gaming is not dead in Japan. It's as healthy as it ever was. Just because they build a skyscraper next to your house doesn't make your house any smaller.

tanod said:
I'd say that the indications from Famitsu as well as the software numbers vs. the 360 titles means a crossing of streams is pretty well guaranteed this week.

I guess I asked about the PS3 at the wrong time no wonder people are up in arms about me wanting to talk about it. I missed the last few MC threads sheesh you people need to relax a little about this shit. I honestly wanted to know

Anyway, Oopona was suppose to come out the same day as SMG, where is it?

Segata Sanshiro said:
1176408512684.gif

i know you're intensely jealous for Crushed's GAF popularity but imitating him is a new low man...

tanod

when is my burrito
Smiles and Cries said:
I guess I asked about the PS3 at the wrong time no wonder people are up in arms about me wanting to talk about it. I missed the last few MC threads sheesh you people need to relax a little about this shit. I honestly wanted to know

Anyway, Oopona was suppose to come out the same day as SMG, where is it?

It's not like I was upset or anything. I just think that's what's gonna happen and besides SMG, that's mostly what people were talking about in last week's thread. Just my $.02.

Mudhoney

TreasureHunterG said:

Well, considering how much effort they appear to be putting into making SMG and SSBB, and how Galaxy doesn't appear to have a lowered difficulty level for casuals, I think Nintendo will snag a lot of hardcore gamers through these titles.

Also, I thought Dragon Quest Swords sold really well...

quest said:
I don't because the DS is still cleaning up. The market in japan has changed is all we have seen it for the last few years. Handheld gaming has taken over japan. The best selling titles on the Wii it seems are handheld style games. Games that are easy to pick up and you can play for a short period of time and put it down like Wii sports and other mini games. Traditional console gaming has been dead in japan for some time I think some held out hope that ninendo could break that trend but it can not. While console gaming might be dead in the east it is still alive and kicking in the west. I am sure SMG will clean up this xmass in NA.

In quality therms...

I don't wanna see games like Zelda Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy ceasing to exist because some people prefer playing mini-game style games like Wii Sports.

DiddyBop

but I've never thought the 3D Mario platformers were ever as good as the 2D games. Perhaps Japan feels the same.

thats what ive been saying. Nintendo needs to make another super mario bros for the DS and just go all out in development. make it twice as long and watch it sell millions apon millions worldwide. @D marios will always,always be better than the 3d counterparts

ethelred said:
Opoona got shipped in on the Enola Gay.

hmmm thats not funny

so it did not make the top 20? Some devs do not need to bother putting things on Wii period who is stupid enough to launch a new IP against Mario.

I had the spelling wrong Opoona

Xeke

Banned
Lightning said:

The 11th you say? You mean 3 days?

tanod said:
It's not like I was upset or anything. I just think that's what's gonna happen and besides SMG, that's mostly what people were talking about in last week's thread. Just my $.02.

no problem, I did not read the whole thread the last few weeks only read parts...

I saw enough to see Opoona was coming with Galaxy

So if Wii hardware sales are under 50k this week. Would Gaf Cry? Considering it sold that much EASILY on off weeks with NO new game releases just a couple months ago?

fresquito

It's awesome how some people don't seem to understand Wii's in his first year of life. Okay, we're coming from PS2 era, and DS era is ruling the world, but hey, this is Wii's first year, so give it time. It's not like hardcore gamers won't ever aproach the thing. It's not like it will ever be the casuals' console.

I remem,ber how RPG fans cried and moaned about how the DS was a joke compared to the PSP in its first year of life. Years later what's happened?

Just give time to time.

Top Bottom