• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/29 - 11/4 2007

TreasureHunterG said:
Nintendo must change their focus for Wii audience in Japan immediately.

After seeing Twilight Princess and Dragon Quest Swords (adding Super Mario Galaxy now) underwhelming sales and overrated sales of Wii Sports, Wii Play and Mario Party 8, I really get worried for Nintendo future there.
TP and SMG at least have successful predecessors to compare to, but how do you figure Dragon Quest Swords is underwhelming? It's among the more successful DQ spinoffs.

Pachael said:
Why not make put Brawl on DS? Nintendo would make a whole buncha cash~

Depends on how well-received the sideways-wiimote control configuration for Brawl is. If Nintendo finds out people are absolutely comfortable with frantically tapping the d-pad to play the game, then there's pretty much nothing stopping a handheld Smash Bros. in the future.

Rocksteady33

Xeke said:
Please, it's not 20 million. Unless not a single of the 6+ million people who bought phats didn't buy Lites.

Regardless the userbase is much bigger then the Wii's. It's a retarded comparison.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Xeke said:
Please, it's not 20 million. Unless not a single of the 6+ million people who bought phats didn't buy Lites.

So all 6 million phats just take up space and aren't played by anybody? or even half? Keep in mind, when you trade up to a lite, you either trade in the phat for others to buy, or give them as a gift. I'd bet a large portion of that 6 million are still being played. I doubt even close to a million were just abandoned.

Rocksteady33 said:
20 million userbase says hi back.

Super Mario Galaxy is here to disagree with your logic. If were true what you're saying, SMG should have outsell first week SMS's sales by some margin. Wii userbase now is higher than GC when SMS was released. Higher userbase not always means it'll sell better.

Xeke

Banned
GreenGlowingGoo said:
So all 6 million phats just take up space and aren't played by anybody? or even half? Keep in mind, when you trade up to a lite, you either trade in the phat for others to buy, or give them as a gift. I'd bet a large portion of that 6 million are still being played. I doubt even close to a million were just abandoned.

I know mine is just sitting back at home in my room being unused. I prefer to keep all my games/consoles.

Lobster said:
Whats wrong with 251k? As if its not guaranteed to not sell a million. Even TP sold over 500k.

I'm over that now...

this is the guy that really deserves our tears

Lobster

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
I'm over that now...

this is the guy that really deserves our tears

I hope its just a first week slumber :( Lets all hope that by next week the advertising will have kicked in and it will have sold 252k second week. Just to make things interesting ya know?

puebla said:
i'd like to know this also...
Dragon Quest Swords beats both. Remember, their first week was Wii launch, so to best DQS's ~300K they'd have had to each sold to something like 86% of the userbase.

test_account

XP-39C²
laserbeam said:
Sunshine was the first Platformer since Mario 64 though so had alot more expectations on it that it would rule the world

Did it really have alot higher expecation? I wasnt som much around on internet forums back then. But SMG is said to be a true sequel (or something) to Mario 64 so i would think the expectation was higher than 251k the first week.

Xeke

Banned
test_account said:
Did it really have alot higher expecation? I wasnt som much around on internet forums back then. But SMG is said to be a true sequel (or something) to Mario 64 so i would think the expectation was higher than 251k the first week.

Super Mario 64 being THE launch game helped it and the fact that the Japanese didn't know that they hated 3D mario until after they bought it.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Compared to the last releases in their respective series in Japan?
Using Moor-Angol's site:
SMS: 280.610 SMG: 251.000
ACZero: 117.390 AC6: 77.000

While neither titles managed to surpass it's predecessor in the first week, AC series has been on a downward slope before, which is now pretty much cemented considering that the drop-off for AC6 will be huge if it follows the usual 360 trend. 77k is good for 360 but for the series? Not so much. Too bad really. Btw is this a 360 exclusive or is a PS3 port coming?

a Master Ninja said:
The continued success of Idolm@ster creeps me out. I remember at TGS they said it had the 2nd most successful DLC on Xbox Live, which is insane considering how few 360s are in Japan.
Yeah those otaku are a scary bunch.

jj984jj said:
Also, Opoona did so pathetically it's unbelieveable, 3000 is certainly far from what I expected.

When Sunshine did better in the middle of July, yes it is.
Did just as I expected.

schuelma said:
It's really incredible that it couldn't beat out Sunshine's first week.

A decent amount of GC owners must be sitting this generation out so far.
They seem to be pretty happy with their DS, which worries me a bit tbh. As much as I like my DS I mainly play it on the go (portable system and all) I wouldn't want Japan to switch to handhelds almost completely.

TreasureHunterG said:
Well, for a notorious million seller series, even the side-games (DQM Joker says hi), could have being better.
Welcome to months ago (mc threads say hi).

Phife Dawg said:
Using Moor-Angol's site:
SMS: 280.610 SMG: 251.000
ACZero: 117.390 AC6: 77.000

While neither titles managed to surpass it's predecessor in the first week, AC series has been on a downward slope before, which is now pretty much cemented considering that the drop-off for AC6 will be huge if it follows the usual 360 trend. 77k is good for 360 but for the series? Not so much. Too bad really. Btw is this a 360 exclusive or is a PS3 port coming?

It's all rumors and speculation at this point, but the Ace Combat fanboys seem to think that AC6 is exclusive to 360, with AC7 to follow on the PS3, similar to how Namco worked Ridge Racer.

Pristine_Condition said:
It's all rumors and speculation at this point, but the Ace Combat fanboys seem to think that AC6 is exclusive to 360, with AC7 to follow on the PS3, similar to how Namco worked Ridge Racer.
I'm sure Ace Combat 7 wouldn't be exclusive to PS3 though. That kind of decision would solidify Namco has a company run by bone-heads.

I3rand0

Just picked up Ace Combat 6 this evening. Hopefully I'll enjoy it as much as these numbers potentially suggest.

mabuza

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
I'm sure Ace Combat 7 wouldn't be exclusive to PS3 though. That kind of decision would solidify Namco has a company run by bone-heads.
so why was ac6 exclusive to 360?

mabuza said:
so why was ac6 exclusive to 360?
Because the 360 has the largest userbase among the next gen consoles, and Namco didn't want to make an Ace Combat game with waggle.

But seriously, there's no way you would make one game in the series exclusive to one console, then make the next game in the series exclusive to the other console. It just doesn't work that way. And no, Ridge Racer 7 doesn't say hi for at least two reasons that anyone with the capacity for critical thought can think of.

justchris

AC6 had a good debut, no argument there.

I actually find the sales on the Wii side encouraging though. Sure, SMG only sold 251k first week, but this is the first time Wii Sports has been back in the top 10 in four or five weeks now. Since Wii Sports is the game to buy with your Wii, I suspect that means that a lot of the Galaxy owners are probably new console purchasers, who picked up both Galaxy and Wii. That gives Galaxy a chance at having really great legs, and with the holidays coming up, it may actual sell better in successive weeks than it did first week as the userbase expands its demographic.

That's my interpretation though, so I'm probably wrong.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
ok, it might be #1 for a couple weeks but i doubt Mario Galaxy is gonna stay in the top 10 for very long. I give it a month tops before it drops out of the top 10.

test_account

XP-39C²
Xeke said:
Super Mario 64 being THE launch game helped it and the fact that the Japanese didn't know that they hated 3D mario until after they bought it.

We'll see if you say the same when/if SMG has sold over a million copies :p

Krowley

justchris said:
AC6 had a good debut, no argument there.

I actually find the sales on the Wii side encouraging though. Sure, SMG only sold 251k first week, but this is the first time Wii Sports has been back in the top 10 in four or five weeks now. Since Wii Sports is the game to buy with your Wii, I suspect that means that a lot of the Galaxy owners are probably new console purchasers, who picked up both Galaxy and Wii. That gives Galaxy a chance at having really great legs, and with the holidays coming up, it may actual sell better in successive weeks than it did first week as the userbase expands its demographic.

That's my interpretation though, so I'm probably wrong.

Actually that's a pretty good point. It suggests that galaxy at least sold a few systems. Maybe not a massive number, but presumably, the people buying it for galaxy will be waiting for more traditional games.

Hopefully that will become a trend that grows over the holidays, and smash brothers could also have a similar effect.

Xeke said:

Not disputing your point, but didn't the DS mario64 remake sell a million or so? It wasn't a megaton hit, but I think it sold pretty good. Clearly, the japanese seem to prefer 2D mario games, but maybe the japanese shift towards portables is a very signigicant factor as well. If this had been released on DS, I suspect it would have sold much better in the first week.

Eteric Rice

Galaxy will likely have legs, as Wii owners who have nothing to play will likely trickle in to buy it over time.

At least until Brawl, or one of the other bigger titles come in.

asa

Could slow sales have something to do with those gazillion NSMB sales, you would think japanese being bit bored with Mario. Or maybe it was just small shipment to create legs till
wiifit
christmas?

justchris

davepoobond said:
ok, it might be #1 for a couple weeks but i doubt Mario Galaxy is gonna stay in the top 10 for very long. I give it a month tops before it drops out of the top 10.

I suspect Galaxy will be #1 right up until Wii Fit comes out. It might just barely manage to stick it out at #2 through December, but with DQIV & FFIV coming on the DS...well, let's just say while I think Galaxy will have really nice legs, it's not going to be #1 after November.

Krowley said:
Actually that's a pretty good point. It suggests that galaxy at least sold a few systems. Maybe not a massive number, but presumably, the people buying it for galaxy will be waiting for more traditional games.

Hopefully that will become a trend that grows over the holidays, and smash brothers could also have a similar effect.

That's what I'm thinking. Evidence suggests that, up until now, Wii has had a mostly casual audience. And Wii has more games in the top 30 this week than it has lately, with most of the ones that are commonly there getting a boost (at least as far as ranking goes, not so sure on absoulte sales numbers). Also, from what Vinnk said a few weeks ago, apparently NiGHTS had more buzz than SMG did among his hardcore friends, so that might do a lot to expand the userbase on Wii before SSBB even releases.

That's more hope on my part than based on any actual proof though. The next 3 weeks will be a key factor for determing the future of the Wii userbase.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Eteric Rice said:
Galaxy will likely have legs, as Wii owners who have nothing to play will likely trickle in to buy it over time.

that's like saying people who don't listen to music are likely to buy a cd because they haven't listened to anything for a long time. they have a cd player, so they must buy something!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Krowley said:
Not disputing your point, but didn't the DS mario64 remake sell a million or so? It wasn't a megaton hit, but I think it sold pretty good.

Holy shit, you're right. I completely forgot about SM64 DS. So maybe it's not even 3D Marios, but 3D Marios but just console games in general.

Lobster

Banned
davepoobond said:
that's like saying people who don't listen to music are likely to buy a cd because they haven't listened to anything for a long time. they have a cd player, so they must buy something!

What he should've said was that the holidays were coming up.

Oblivion said:
Ugh. Sure, this may be the 300th Mario game, but it's only the THIRD Mario platformer in 10 years.

You say that like 3 years between home console Mario-as-main-character Platformers is some sort of eternity.

Terrell

Wasn't everyone blaming Galaxy's sales on Nintendo's piss-poor advertising of the game? If it is the case that a good half of Japan doesn't even know it exists, perhaps Nintendo airing the (oh I dunno) NINE Galaxy ads shown on the Japanese Wii website with a little more frequency would create this game-buying frenzy people want this game to have.
Also, anyone who thinks that Wii Fit is going to kill any interest whatsoever in Mario Galaxy need to remember that the average consumer isn't like us and buys something when it comes out only to completely lose interest in it when there's another game on the shelf, and truthfully, these casual gamers might see a Mario title as slightly more approachable than other hardcore content and pick it up out of *gasp* SHEER CURIOSITY. (I know, I have some gall to insinuate that casual gamers might want a "real" game... get out your thumbscrews, fellas)
Galaxy had an OK launch, but nothing that could be considered fantastic, and Nintendo is mostly to blame for it by not telling any gamers outside of the hardcore set that the game even bloody released, not Japan's lacking interest in the series. As such, I expect getting people into stores for the over-promoted Wii Fit launch may bolster a lot more sales of the game than people give Nintendo credit for. Lest we forget, when Brain Training skyrocketed up the charts, it brought almost every other semi-hardcore game further up the charts with it (see Mario Kart DS).

Mike Works said:
this may have been asked already, but does anyone know how many copies of the game nintendo shipped?

Galaxy? Hovering around 700K, I think. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm off.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Mike Works said:
this may have been asked already, but does anyone know how many copies of the game nintendo shipped?

700,000 is the number I see tossed around

Top Bottom