• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/8 - 10/14 2007

mutsu

castle007 said:
Wii needs more games very soon. SMG should give it a huge bump

There's always Wii Fit after that, if you count that as a game.

Cannot wait for Super Mario Galaxy. I should be playing it within a few weeks! Japanese release first for the win.

GhostSeed

castle007 said:
Wii needs more games very soon. SMG should give it a huge bump

Anyone care to guess what numbers we're going to see Wii sale that week?
I honestly have no idea Japan seems to hate everything right now but handhelds.

Gaborn

GhostSeed said:
Anyone care to guess what numbers we're going to see Wii sale that week?
I honestly have no idea Japan seems to hate everything right now but handhelds.

I'll take the plunge. 140k hardware sold, NO clue on software. It'll be huge though.

Connection was crappy today, then caught up with the NPD thread... boy was I surprised to see this thread bumped. "Oh yeah, THURSDAY."

MC has stopped tracking GBA and DS... and Famitsu stops tracking DS. Coincidence, or am I missing some significance of this point in time?

Wii comparisons: At 46 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 173.6 weeks (January 5, 2005), where GBA was at 38.4 weeks (December 11, 2001), where DS was at 51.1 weeks (November 20, 2005), where PS2 was at 56.3 weeks (March 26, 2001), and where PSP was at 83.6 weeks (July 12, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: At 49 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 5.5 weeks (April 5, 2000), where PSP was at 18.9 weeks (April 15, 2005), where GCN was at 23.5 weeks (February 20, 2002), and where Wii was at 6.8 weeks (January 12, 2007).

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 56.9 / 43.1, bringing total shares to 75.0 / 25.0, back to where they were in December 2006. If PSP keeps not sucking, it will soon be not behind DS 3:1. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 220.2 weeks (January 3, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 37.5 / 62.5, bringing total shares to 24.6 / 75.4. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 199.2 weeks (August 9, 2011).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, DS catches up to PS2 in 16.2 weeks (February 4, 2008) at ~20.9 million apiece.

methane47 said:
holy crap XBOX at 6k!?!

Is that the highest ever in japan? for sure this year?
Nope and nope. Highest week was launch (43,970). Highest since then was Blue Dragon (35,343). Highest this year was after it was still riding relatively high from Blue Dragon after the new year (18,235 followed by three more weeks bigger than this week).

piechartweekly.php

With fewer systems, that pie is easier to read.

Quite a discrepancy between Famitsu and MC.

perfectchaos007 said:
PS3's price drop + no new titles for Wii next week = a possible cross in streams next week
I think it'll happen. Would be funny if it didn't happen though. The accompanying thread would be quite entertaining.

Hammer24

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
I think it'll happen. Would be funny if it didn't happen though. The accompanying thread would be quite entertaining.

I wouldn´t bet on it. There have been so many reports on retailers pricecutting the PS3 right away, that there probably wont be too much of an effect.

Hammer24 said:
I wouldn´t bet on it. There have been so many reports on retailers pricecutting the PS3 right away, that there probably wont be too much of an effect.
I can only remember one guy posting about Amazon. I asked wether we knew of other retailers but afair never got an answer.

But I do think that the ceramic white will do more for PS3 sales in Japan than the price drop on the existing SKUs.

Hammer24

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
I can only remember one guy posting about Amazon. I asked wether we knew of other retailers but afair never got an answer.

I think I remember reading some aki-blogs stating it, but I don´t have a link so it might be anecdotal.

But I do think that the ceramic white will do more for PS3 sales in Japan than the price drop on the existing SKUs.

This on the other hand is very possible.

AniHawk

I'm guessing 2007 is the PSP's last stand. 2008 should see the final decline, and 2009 should be the year it fades into oblivion.

test_account

XP-39C²
Segata Sanshiro said:
The streams are going to cross soon, I can feel it.

I've been waiting for this to happend too. With Famitsu's 8800 (or something) PS3 numbers i thought maybe it was possible for 360 to go by it this week. Next week the streams might cross due to PS3's pricedrop. Wii get no games, PS3 gets Spider Man 3 and 360 gets Katamari and Zoids Alternative. No big sellers i guess (dunno about Katamari tho, but it wont affect the 360 hardware sales that much).

Btw, wasnt Warhawk released 4. October or was it delayed? I havnt seen it in any lists. Maybe it didnt even make the top 50, but i would find that wierd since around 50th sales are usually like ~1000-2000.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Now these numbers make sense, PS3 sales are suppose to go up since retailers dropped the price early.

Frillen

Xavien said:
PS3 not under 10k?
Wii not under 20k?

Pretty boring week.

PSP is continuing to fall pretty hard though

He has a parser that automatically generates that post the momement the results apear on the site. You're never gonna beat it.

I actually have beaten him a couple of times :p

toypop

test_account said:
Btw, wasnt Warhawk released 4. October or was it delayed? I havnt seen it in any lists. Maybe it didnt even make the top 50, but i would find that wierd since around 50th sales are usually like ~1000-2000.

Warhawk is only available on PSN store in Japan, they didn't release it as package.

http://www.dengekionline.com/soft/ranking.html
Btw, Dengeki's 360 number was 9,318(70% of them are Elite).
I believe those difference are from how they treat/estimate online sales like Amazon, but interesting.

Updated PS2 Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! Meteor comparison...
Code:
/              MediaCreate         Famitsu         Dengeki
Week 1         204k                  161k           204k 
Week 2         47k                   53k            57k
LTD            [B]251k                  214k           262k[/B]

wow Famitsu :/

Rolf NB

Hammer24 said:
The new model (which isn't out yet) is still 25% cheaper than the now reduced existing model. There will be a bump, and even after the bump it will quite likely lead to higher regular sales. Unfortunately, for sales age, the festive season is going to mess up the numbers in such a way that we won't be able to tell what's a bump and what's normal until early next year.

test_account said:
I've been waiting for this to happend too. With Famitsu's 8800 (or something) PS3 numbers i thought maybe it was possible for 360 to go by it this week. Next week the streams might cross due to PS3's pricedrop. Wii get no games, PS3 gets Spider Man 3 and 360 gets Katamari and Zoids Alternative. No big sellers i guess (dunno about Katamari tho, but it wont affect the 360 hardware sales that much).

Actually, I was talking about the PS3 and Wii streams. Heh.

First day sales (no one posted them yet?)
15000 PS2 Seaman 2
15000 NDS Nintendo's Literature Game
10000 X360 Beautiful Katamari
10000 PS2 Galaxy Angel 2
1500 NDS Sonic Rush Adventure
1000 PSP Riviera (budget re-release)
700 X360 Zoids Alternative

PD: As expected, Tales of Destiny Director's Cut (PS2) will be released in January (the 31th). As expected again, near full price (6090Y normal edition and 7140Y LE Box).

20071019_13_toddir_02.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Very impressive for Beautiful Katamari and decent for Seaman 2; although probably not decent enough to ensure a US release :(

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
haha 21,000 for lair impressive, especially considering it tanked horribly over here, too bad they wasted 60 bucks.

No big release...boring first day sales.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
PD: As expected, Tales of Destiny Director's Cut (PS2) will be released in January (the 31th). As expected again, near full price (6090Y normal edition and 7140Y LE Box).

http://www.dengekionline.com/news/200710/19/img/20071019_13_toddir_02.jpg

Lion fangirls are going to be so over this. I might even buy this myself (even though I don't like Lion that much, I'm just curious)...

Hmmm, so February for Rebrith PSP and March for Symphonia: KoR eh?

Is this the Nintendo Letter Training or different one?

Sega should just give up on Sonic in Japan seriously.

Wollan

Has BladeStorm already been released in Japan? EU on Nov 2nd and US on Nov 6th.
Just tried the english demo (finally, context) and the game is head and shoulders above your usual KOEI affair I think.

ethelred

Stumpokapow said:
Very impressive for Beautiful Katamari...

That's impressive? Really? Are we doing a "that's impressive for a 360 game" here? Because it's not impressive when one looks at the prior sales of games within the series. Unless it picks up hugely, this is basically BK tanking even compared to the PSP side game.

BishopLamont said:
Sega should just give up on Sonic in Japan seriously.

No, Sega should stop making bad, generally outsourced games that aren't even like real Sonic. Even on the GameCube, Sonic was selling much better than this. Sega needs to wrest control of this series from the talentless hacks at Dimps and its own shoddy internal studies to which these games have been relegated and make an attempt to restore it to the great level at which it once stood.

Loudninja

Wollan said:
Has BladeStorm already been released in Japan? EU on Nov 2nd and US on Nov 6th.
Just tried the english demo (finally, context) and the game is head and shoulders above your usual KOEI affair I think.

Yes

ziran

Another slow week all round, but expected for the time of year. PS3 could outsell Wii next week so that should spark some interest.

Interestingly Wii fit has been the number one seller at Amazon JP since it came for pre order several days ago, which is surprising for the site. It's usually a reasonable judge of what the hardcore is buying when compared to weekly sales, and the mass market stuff does quite well, but never this well.

Wii Fit is going to be big, but I think it could be absolutely huge, and setting itself up to be one of the biggest selling games ever.

BishopLamont said:
Is this the Nintendo Letter Training or different one?
It's the literature collection by Genius Sonority:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/ybnj/index.html

Letter training is a different title.

ethelred said:
No, Sega should stop making bad, generally outsourced games that aren't even like real Sonic. Even on the GameCube, Sonic was selling much better than this. Sega needs to wrest control of this series from the talentless hacks at Dimps and its own shoddy internal studies to which these games have been relegated and make an attempt to restore it to the great level at which it once stood.

Well, I still think the Rush games were better than the 3D ones. But it's still very different. There's much less emphasis on platforming and more on just mindlessly clearing zones. It's fun, but different.

I think they deserve more sales, but yeah, SEGA seriously needs to rethink the franchise.

ethelred said:
I have really enjoyed the Rush games. I think they're really well done. They aren't the same as old Sonic, but we're not liable to get something the same as old Sonic ever again. The teams have been scattered to the winds.

3D Sonic needs a major rethink though, and the frankly lousy sales of Sonic and the Secret Rings and the even worse sales of Sonic 2006 should be what finally spurs SEGA to do it.

Considering Katriami Damacy debuted with ~30,000 first week, and BK should get within 60-80% of that...I would say BK did pretty well considering the infinitely smaller userbase.

The question is if it hags legs or not (both overall, and over the weekend).

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:
I have really enjoyed the Rush games. I think they're really well done.

Well... sorry, Segs, but I don't think they are, and neither does the game purchasing population of Japan and the US. :/

Segata Sanshiro said:
They aren't the same as old Sonic, but we're not liable to get something the same as old Sonic ever again. The teams have been scattered to the winds.

3D Sonic needs a major rethink though, and the frankly lousy sales of Sonic and the Secret Rings and the even worse sales of Sonic 2006 should be what finally spurs SEGA to do it.

That's my larger point, yes. No, we're not going to see something identical to the old Sonic games (though I can a better attempt can be made to emulate them than what has been done so far -- do we really think there aren't any young, talented developers who have enough respect for the old games and enough of an ability to emulate that?), but that's still no excuse -- Sega needs to, as I said, take the series away from the people currently handling it (this includes Dimps and the really poor internal teams in charge of the franchise) and put it through a major shakeup.

Mr Killemgood said:
Considering Katriami Damacy debuted with ~30,000 first week, and BK should get within 60-80% of that...I would say BK did pretty well considering the infinitely smaller userbase.

The question is if it hags legs or not (both overall, and over the weekend).

That's a really poor comparison. When the first Katamari launched, it was an unknown franchise that increased its sales through word of mouth as people became aware of it and went to try it out. Since then it's become much more established -- higher upfront sales are to be expected now. I don't see this game pulling off the numbers even of the PSP game.

1) It has been a while since I checked these threads but since when did Wii drop down to 20k a week levels? The last time I checked, it was doing 60-80k a week. Supply finally met demand?

2) It can't be that hard to make a good Sonic game. I think Sega makes the erroneous assumption that just because it has Sonic on the box that people will rush to buy it. Not the case obviously.

3) Wow @ Xbox 360 selling anything more than 1,500 units a week. 6,000 is pretty decent for X360 standards. It might push past 500,000 units total in a few months.

I think part of the problem might be diminishing returns. Sonic Rush Adventure is the fifth handheld 2D Sonic (6th if we count the dreadful Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis GBA) since 2001. In conjunction with five 3D Sonic games, Sonic Riders, Sonic Rivals, and whatever that Sonic "brawler" on the GBA was called (to say nothing of two Sonic game compilations) all releasing in the same time span, it could simply be that the target audience is getting fatigued with the series. I can't speak to Japan, but in North America I don't think the recent series sales are out of line with say, Mega Man games.

I'd hate to suggest Sonic is reaching that low level of relevancy, but...

I dunno, if they want Sonic to be a major player again, he needs to take a long break and come back with a big title, Lara Croft-style. Or they can just slash the budgets Mega Man-style and keep on trucking. It's a crossroads of sorts.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Segata Sanshiro said:
I think part of the problem might be diminishing returns. Sonic Rush Adventure is the fifth handheld 2D Sonic (6th if we count the dreadful Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis GBA) since 2001. In conjunction with five 3D Sonic games, Sonic Riders, Sonic Rivals, and whatever that Sonic "brawler" on the GBA was called (to say nothing of two Sonic game compilations) all releasing in the same time span, it could simply be that the target audience is getting fatigued with the series. I can't speak to Japan, but in North America I don't think the recent series sales are out of line with say, Mega Man games.

I'd hate to suggest Sonic is reaching that low level of relevancy, but...

I dunno, if they want Sonic to be a major player again, he needs to take a long break and come back with a big title, Lara Croft-style. Or they can just slash the budgets Mega Man-style and keep on trucking. It's a crossroads of sorts.

Or they could put him in some fantasy sports titles. That could do it!

ethelred said:
Or they could put him in a bunch of lame Nintendo mascot games.
Wow, schuelma beat you. Time for the ritual harakiri, my old chum.

I fully expect SEGA to take the budget-slashing, milkage route. And before watching Mega Man's (and I suppose Castlevania's) descent, that would have really bothered me, but I still get games I really enjoy out of those series, they obviously make enough to keep going, and if the same happened for Sonic... well, I could imagine worse outcomes, I guess.

ethelred said:
That's a really poor comparison. When the first Katamari launched, it was an unknown franchise that increased its sales through word of mouth as people became aware of it and went to try it out. Since then it's become much more established -- higher upfront sales are to be expected now. I don't see this game pulling off the numbers even of the PSP game.

I don't see how the Katamari series is that much more established - Katamari PSP sold 1/2 that of Katamari Damacy...Maybe more frontloaded. Does anyone have any other numbers for the 2nd Katamari game?

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:
Wow, schuelma beat you. Time for the ritual harakiri, my old chum.

I was responding to schuelma.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I fully expect SEGA to take the budget-slashing, milkage route. And before watching Mega Man's (and I suppose Castlevania's) descent, that would have really bothered me, but I still get games I really enjoy out of those series, they obviously make enough to keep going, and if the same happened for Sonic... well, I could imagine worse outcomes, I guess.

More's the pity for me. I enjoy the recent Castlevanias, but Sonic... yikes. The series is completely unpalatable to me these days.

BUT, we all forget ourselves a bit here -- because there is that one great beacon of non-budget-slashed quality hope! I fully expect Bioware's Sonic RPG to be the best Sonic game since Sonic 3. And for that we should all be grateful.

Top Bottom