• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/8 - 10/14 2007

ethelred said:
I was responding to schuelma.

More's the pity for me. I enjoy the recent Castlevanias, but Sonic... yikes. The series is completely unpalatable to me these days.

BUT, we all forget ourselves a bit here -- because there is that one great beacon of non-budget-slashed quality hope! I fully expect Bioware's Sonic RPG to be the best Sonic game since Sonic 3. And for that we should all be grateful.
:lol

Sorry ethel. I'm really looking forward to Sonic RPG as well, it's just that this post in conjunction with my ribbing of you about adding hit points to a game in order for you to like it makes me larf.

donny2112

Wollan said:
Has BladeStorm already been released in Japan?

Came out at the beginning of September. It sold 104K before dropping off the charts after the week of Sept 17-23, so probably 110K for the month of September.

The Experiment said:
1) It has been a while since I checked these threads but since when did Wii drop down to 20k a week levels? The last time I checked, it was doing 60-80k a week. Supply finally met demand?

Shortages ended at the end of August and has been dropping since.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Sorry ethel. I'm really looking forward to Sonic RPG as well, it's just that this post in conjunction with my ribbing of you about adding hit points to a game in order for you to like it makes me larf.

That could very well be true. It certainly couldn't hurt.
:p

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
ethelred said:
Or they could put him in a bunch of lame Nintendo mascot games.

Or chuck him into an RPG....on the DS....Oh, Wait..(Sorry)

test_account

XP-39C²
toypop said:
Warhawk is only available on PSN store in Japan, they didn't release it as package.

Ah ok, makes sense then. Thanks :)

Segata Sanshiro said:
Actually, I was talking about the PS3 and Wii streams. Heh.

Me too, when i said "Next week the streams might cross due to PS3's pricedrop" i ment PS3 over Wii :) But also 360 over PS3 since it was a slim chance that it could happend this week. Next week, maybe PS3 can beat Wii. Afaik, the streams still havnt crossed anywhere in Japan.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ethelred said:
That's impressive? Really? Are we doing a "that's impressive for a 360 game" here? Because it's not impressive when one looks at the prior sales of games within the series. Unless it picks up hugely, this is basically BK tanking even compared to the PSP side game.

That's exactly what I was doing there. I know it's not impressive for the game or for the franchise, but it's decent for the 360 in Japan. I've been posting here long enough to know the difference, man :D

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:

You wound me, sir! This is why no one likes OLD AND BUSTED WOODY TOYS! Away to the shoebox with you.

I think people bought Halo thinking its on Wii or PS3, that didnt work so this week they finally bought the 360, so the spike in sales unlike when Halo was released

artredis1980 said:
I think people bought Halo thinking its on Wii or PS3, that didnt work so this week they finally bought the 360, so the spike in sales unlike when Halo was released

:D and they also really need "More Brain Training"

The spike in 360 sales is explained by the release of 360 Elite version...

Xisiqomelir

Kildace said:
Bad / mediocre / average games sold on the PS2 well before it had an install base of 20 million.

Are we arguing that average and mediocre games deserve sales on the leading platform now just because they're made by 3rd parties?

jarrod

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I have really enjoyed the Rush games. I think they're really well done. They aren't the same as old Sonic, but we're not liable to get something the same as old Sonic ever again. The teams have been scattered to the winds.
The Rush games are a decent step up from the Advance series... I think the mechanics and "Sonic physics" are pretty good at this point but assy level designs are still a big problem imo.

I know it'll never happen, but with Naka out of the way now, I'd really like to see SEGA work with Artoon on a DS Sonic. Hell, take things back to basics, call it Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and tap into the retro/nostalgia market that Nintendo, Square Enix, Konami, Taito/MMV, EA and others are reaping the rewards from.

Segata Sanshiro said:
3D Sonic needs a major rethink though, and the frankly lousy sales of Sonic and the Secret Rings and the even worse sales of Sonic 2006 should be what finally spurs SEGA to do it.
Secret Rings did decently given the cheapo budget and priority, it basically did as well as the GC Sonics tended to early on and wasn't given nearly the same sort of resources. It did surprisingly well in the UK iirc and catalog sales will likely push it near a million in the US alone when all's said and done... I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see GE1 pushing out a sequel in mid/late 2008.

It's at least a step in the right direction from where Sonic Team USA was headed, but I agree generally that 3D Sonic needs a major rethink.

lupin23rd

There is only one Sonic game that will bring the blue speed devil back to prime time.

Sonic Musou

As for you guys wondering about a "conference bump" for Wii - wha?

The only people who probably bother to follow that stuff are GAFers, or hardcore Japanese games who own the system anyways. Kendo mom's are oblivious to that shit. I doubt those conferences make a huge impact on sales regardless of what comes out (except maybe price change, but that's a whole different ballgame).

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales (no one posted them yet?)
15000 PS2 Seaman 2
15000 NDS Nintendo's Literature Game
10000 X360 Beautiful Katamari
10000 PS2 Galaxy Angel 2
1500 NDS Sonic Rush Adventure
1000 PSP Riviera (budget re-release)
700 X360 Zoids Alternative

PD: As expected, Tales of Destiny Director's Cut (PS2) will be released in January (the 31th). As expected again, near full price (6090Y normal edition and 7140Y LE Box).

20071019_13_toddir_02.jpg

Katamri is meh. Though none of them were that big sale wise. LOL at zoids.

Bebpo

Banned
I just noticed Operation Darkness wasn't on that list.

How can a quality a srpg sell low enough not to make the top50? Even PGR4 made it. Every other non-idea-factory rpg/srpg on X360 in Japan has done at least like 25k (Culdcept, [EM], Trusty Bell, Blue Dragon, maybe Tengai Zero?). How could it have sold less than like 5k?

ethelred

Bebpo said:
I just noticed Operation Darkness wasn't on that list.

How can a quality a srpg sell low enough not to make the top50? Even PGR4 made it. Every other non-idea-factory rpg/srpg on X360 in Japan has done at least like 25k (Culdcept, [EM], Trusty Bell, Blue Dragon, maybe Tengai Zero?). How could it have sold less than like 5k?

It's a game published by Success on the Xbox 360. What were you really expecting here? EM didn't hit 25k -- it sold just below that. Tengai Makyou sold under 5k. Culdcept only sold 27k, and that was published by Namco.

I mean, come on. Let's be real here. The 360 is not a viable platform for publishing RPGs in Japan.

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:
It's a game published by Success on the Xbox 360. What were you really expecting here?

More than 1-5k opening. Especially since Japan likes the genre. It's not like this is Dewy or something. It's a tactical srpg. They sell. Even ASH sold 50k!

ethelred

Bebpo said:
More than 1-5k opening. Especially since Japan likes the genre. It's not like this is Dewy or something. It's a tactical srpg. They sell. Even ASH sold 50k!

No offense, but... Not on the 360 they don't.

Code:
Blue Dragon		Microsoft	200,244
TES: Oblivion 		Spike		69,309
Trusty Bell		Namco Bandai	65,271
Culdcept Saga 		Namco Bandai	27,494
Enchanted Arms		From		24,033
Final Fantasy XI Pack 	Square Enix	15,754
Super Robot Taisen XO 	Banpresto	7,812
Tengai Makyou Ziria	Hudson		4,944
Spectral Force 3	Idea Factory	2,532
Phantasy Star Universe 	Sega		2,500
Blazing Infinity	Idea Factory	2,064

Bebpo

Banned
So basically the Japanese people who buy a X360 pretend they aren't Japanese and only buy western games outside of Blue Dragon?

They should port Operation Darkness to DS.

test_account

XP-39C²
Bebpo said:
They should port Operation Darkness to DS.

Then they must remake pretty much the whole game tho, its not possible to just port it like that (i guess you mean remake tho, but i just have to point it out :)). I guess a PS3 port would be more easy.

I'm also suprised that it didnt even get within the top 50. What i remember the game didnt get that great review in Famitsu. It was something like 5/6/6/5 or so. So porting it to PS3 might not help too much. Sad for the developers that so many 360 games in Japan are selling that poor :\

ethelred

test_account said:
Sad for the developers that so many 360 games in Japan are selling that poor :\

I don't really know what people are expecting. Are you really that surprised? The 360 is a colossal failure in Japan. Most (nearly all) games are going to sell terribly on it.

tanod

when is my burrito
ethelred said:
I don't really know what people are expecting. Are you really that surprised? The 360 is a colossal failure in Japan. Most (nearly all) games are going to sell terribly on it.

I liked your first edit better. :)

test_account

XP-39C²
ethelred said:

No, im not sad, but it still doesnt change the fact that its sad for the developers who take the efford to make 360 games in Japan and then they (most of them atleast) bomb totally :\

EDIT: Did you write sad or suprised? I mean i read sad instead of suprised there :p But no, i'm not suprised that 360 games arent selling well in Japan. However, i am suprised that Operation Darkness didnt even make it within the top 50, since 50th place probly sold like 1000-2000 copies.

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:

There's a difference between selling terribly and so few people buying it that you could write Limited Edition and put a number on your copy and feel special.

I forgot the interview, but some guy said that the only people who buy X360 in Japan are the hardcore gamers. So...why don't more than 1,000 of them buy OD?

1,000 copies is so low. The OD team took several years to make the game and while it's not high budget, I'd say it's higher budget than a lot of PS2 srpgs. The models are all PS2 level, the game has a VERY high profile voice actor cast, there's music so someone was composing, and there's a detailed website that some guy has to have made. 1k sold would basically pay them back on the marketing and not making the game itself. Maybe these people won't have jobs now and all the quality srpgs they could have made will vanish from the realm of possibility.

klee123

Bebpo said:
There's a difference between selling terribly and so few people buying it that you could write Limited Edition and put a number on your copy and feel special.

I forgot the interview, but some guy said that the only people who buy X360 in Japan are the hardcore gamers. So...why don't more than 1,000 of them buy OD?

1,000 copies is so low. The OD team took several years to make the game and while it's not high budget, I'd say it's higher budget than a lot of PS2 srpgs. The models are all PS2 level, the game has a VERY high profile voice actor cast, there's music so someone was composing, and there's a detailed website that some guy has to have made. 1k sold would basically pay them back on the marketing and not making the game itself. Maybe these people won't have jobs now and all the quality srpgs they could have made will vanish from the realm of possibility.

Maybe the devs can port the game to the PS3, I doubt it'll move much more on the PS3 tho.

Mandrion

Banned
Theres a rather big difference in Famitsu and MC-numbers this week, so i guess next week's Wii number are going to be higher than usual, while PS3 is lower than usual.
Im expecting 28k for Wii and 8k for PS3.

ethelred

Bebpo said:
The OD team took several years to make the game and while it's not high budget, I'd say it's higher budget than a lot of PS2 srpgs. The models are all PS2 level, the game has a VERY high profile voice actor cast, there's music so someone was composing, and there's a detailed website that some guy has to have made.

Oh, shit, seriously? I didn't realize these things. That is a pretty big gamble they took, then... I can't imagine why that wouldn't pay off for them. :(

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:
Oh, shit, seriously? I didn't realize these things. That is a pretty big gamble they took, then... I can't imagine why that wouldn't pay off for them. :(

It probably cost more than ASH to make :(

womfalcs3

Banned
Mandrion said:
Theres a rather big difference in Famitsu and MC-numbers this week, so i guess next week's Wii number are going to be higher than usual, while PS3 is lower than usual.
Im expecting 28k for Wii and 8k for PS3.

The PS3 will see a boost due to the price drop of the 60-GB SKU.

Lobster

Banned
test_account said:
Then they must remake pretty much the whole game tho, its not possible to just port it like that (i guess you mean remake tho, but i just have to point it out :)). I guess a PS3 port would be more easy.

Porting it to the Ps3 would be the equivalent of going round in a circle.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mandrion said:
Many people said that the price cut was in effect already for last week, so one could doubt that.

Who said that?

tanod said:
This week or next may be the last time that the 360 will sell more than 5,000 units in a week in Japan.
:lol Keep on truckin'.

reilo said:
Who said that?
Skip through the old threads. Apparently retailers (Amazon being amongst them iirc) slashed PS3 prices early. How many retailers we don't know for sure.

Loudninja said:
Eurogamer gave Bladestorm an 8 out of 10
Point is? *scratches head*

icecream

Public Health Threat
ethelred said:
Oh, shit, seriously? I didn't realize these things. That is a pretty big gamble they took, then...
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm, but yeah, compared to their usual offerings, Operation Darkness was definitely on the high side. I'd blame adversiting and product awareness if anything for low first day sales. There's still the chance it'll chart at the end of the week though, as word of mouth builds up.

Katamari is not suprising. Icchi danketsu, danketsu! Toki ni...

llTll

Banned
so .. question. why the xbox 360 sales are high?

and lair only helped the sales by 2k? i think i am missing something

test_account

XP-39C²
Lobster said:
Porting it to the Ps3 would be the equivalent of going round in a circle.

What do you mean?

llTll said:
so .. question. why the xbox 360 sales are high?

and lair only helped the sales by 2k? i think i am missing something

360 elite version was released. Lair wasnt really any system seller. The boost in hardware sales is most likely due to some retailers slashed the price early.

duckroll

icecream said:
I'd blame adversiting and product awareness if anything for low first day sales. There's still the chance it'll chart at the end of the week though, as word of mouth builds up.

Erm, the game came out.... on the 11th of Oct. :p

Operation Darkness was last week's title.

According to Famitsu, it sold around 2,800 copies first week - just outside the top-50.

It *could* have good legs with the Elite h/w bump, and the other 5 games coming out soon that will sell hardware.

perfectchaos007 said:
I can't wait for next weeks thread. PS3 > Wii

I am literaly shivering in anticipation. That thread will be epic 1000 + posts etc.

I wouldn't bet on PS3 > Wii next week. Honestly I think it won't, retailers already slashed the price early and it only boosted the PS3 by 2k.

test_account

XP-39C²
Lobster said:
Its not like the Ps3s boasting amazing software sales atm.
I know, i even said so myself hehe :p

test_account said:
I'm also suprised that it didnt even get within the top 50. What i remember the game didnt get that great review in Famitsu. It was something like 5/6/6/5 or so. So porting it to PS3 might not help too much. Sad for the developers that so many 360 games in Japan are selling that poor :\
But there could be a small chance to make some profit porting it to PS3 atleast.

BishopLamont said:
I wouldn't bet on PS3 > Wii next week. Honestly I think it won't, retailers already slashed the price early and it only boosted the PS3 by 2k.
True, but the question is, how many retailers slashed the price early?

Top Bottom