• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/8 - 10/14 2007

tehbear

perfectchaos007 said:
I can't wait for next weeks thread. PS3 > Wii

I am literaly shivering in anticipation. That thread will be epic 1000 + posts etc.

Even if that did happen, it wouldn't make the PS3 any more or less dead in Japan. Even this week isn't worth many pages. But relatively speaking people are much more grim on the PS3 in NPD threads even though software/hardware wise the PS3 does far better there. Relativity is a bitch I guess but really Japan couldn't care less for any consoles right now.

ethelred said:
No offense, but... Not on the 360 they don't.

Code:
Blue Dragon		Microsoft	200,244
TES: Oblivion 		Spike		69,309
Trusty Bell		Namco Bandai	65,271
Culdcept Saga 		Namco Bandai	27,494
Enchanted Arms		From		24,033
Final Fantasy XI Pack 	Square Enix	15,754
Super Robot Taisen XO 	Banpresto	7,812
Tengai Makyou Ziria	Hudson		4,944
Spectral Force 3	Idea Factory	2,532
Phantasy Star Universe 	Sega		2,500
Blazing Infinity	Idea Factory	2,064

Idea factory... Trying so hard to embrace next-gen with their reused PS2 technology. It's just not working out for them. SRPGs on next-gen consoles fails like no other, I guess I won't be expecting any of quality for awhile.

Belgorim

Is it weird that I don't get the attraction of Wii Fit? Because I definately understand Wii Sports and think its awesome, but I cannot for the life of me understand Wii Fit. Maybe I just missed something.

Am I in the minority here?

Belgorim said:
Is it weird that I don't get the attraction of Wii Fit? Because I definately understand Wii Sports and think its awesome, but I cannot for the life of me understand Wii Fit. Maybe I just missed something.

Am I in the minority here?
Are you fat and looking for easy answers to the problem?

If not, Wii Fit isn't for you.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shiggy said:
What's the "136kg" thing?
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rfnj/index.html
Is it only for people who weigh less? So no American release?

136kg = 300 pounds.

At 6 feet tall, 300 pounds falls under the range of morbid or life-threatening obesity. At 6 feet tall, 225 pounds is the borderline between "OBESE" and "overweight". Someone who is 6 flat and 300 pounds is more than one hundred pounds overweight.

Individuals who are morbidly obese are unable to do regular workouts anyway, so Wii Fit will be problematic for them. Almost every doctor around would recommend someone with a morbidly obese BMI to go on a VLC diet (like Medifast) to shave off pounds and get down into the merely obese BMI range before beginning to work out. Trying to work out at the morbidly obese level except under supervision is likely to result in debilitating knee pain or injuries and potential heart problems.

(Note, BMI should not be used as a measurement scale when the person being measured is notably muscular or athletic; instead, waist circumference ratios are a good lay measurement and BF% by electronics or calipers would be a better medical measurement)

Stumpokapow said:
136kg = 300 pounds.

At 6 feet tall, 300 pounds falls under the range of morbid or life-threatening obesity. At 6 feet tall, 225 pounds is the borderline between "OBESE" and "overweight". Someone who is 6 flat and 300 pounds is more than one hundred pounds overweight.

Individuals who are morbidly obese are unable to do regular workouts anyway, so Wii Fit will be problematic for them. Almost every doctor around would recommend someone with a morbidly obese BMI to go on a VLC diet (like Medifast) to shave off pounds and get down into the merely obese BMI range before beginning to work out. Trying to work out at the morbidly obese level except under supervision is likely to result in debilitating knee pain or injuries and potential heart problems.

(Note, BMI should not be used as a measurement scale when the person being measured is notably muscular or athletic; instead, waist circumference ratios are a good lay measurement and BF% by electronics or calipers would be a better medical measurement)
So...no American release then?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Segata Sanshiro said:
So...no American release then?

It might have to be on a state-by-state basis :D

obesitygraphic.jpg

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I guess I'll go on record and say I don't think the PS3 will outsell Wii next week. I think it will be close, but it won't happen.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
schuelma said:
I guess I'll go on record and say I don't think the PS3 will outsell Wii next week. I think it will be close, but it won't happen.
I dunno, I think Spider-man 3 will give it the edge it needs since the Wii had no new releases this week. Plus more people will know about the price drop now that it's official.

I think PS3 will outsell Wii. I mean if that price drop doesn't give it a 8k+ in sales Sony might as well throw PS3s out of their headquarters for free.

I'll quote myself from last week thread...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8212910&postcount=612
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Yeah, the impatient retailers slashing PS3 price sooner than planned. If that didn't happen we could have seen PS3 under 10k again.

Although seeing PS3 performance all year, I wonder if most retailers weren't offering a sizable pricedrop on PS3 systems before the official one. Plus low demand, expensive item for retailers, minor shelf space for it (since there are 4 more active platforms)...I wonder if PS3 has much room to improve with a minor 10% pricedrop to be honest.

Actually, even with retailers (like Amazon) doing the discount before its expected day, Famitsu reported PS3 under 10k (8,4k iirc).

So I'm pretty sure that even that the pricedrop should be widespread by now, PS3 isn't going to improve its numbers by much, not even talking about outselling Wii, I doubt either tracker is going to put PS3 over 15k.

schuelma

justjohn said:
the white cheaper ps3 will make a much bigger impact than this price drop.

My thoughts as well. That said, doesn't that model come like right after Galaxy and right when RE:UC comes out? I don't know if the streams will cross then either.

schuelma

perfectchaos007 said:
Wait, so when is the white PS3 scheduled to come out? Japanese sure do love their color variations.

11/11

donny2112

DarkMehm said:
Can someone post the Famitsu Top 30? I miss it. :/

NPD and real life had taken most of my attention since Thursday, so I didn't get to it until now. It's nice to know someone noticed, though. :)

Famitsu Oct 1-7

1. PS2 Dragon Ball Z Sparking! Meteor 161752 / NEW
2. PSP Gundam Battle Chronicle 86538 / NEW
3. NDS Archaic Sealed Heat 58102 / NEW
4. NDS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time 55310 / 912521
5. PS2 Jikkyou Power Pro Major League 2 42946 / NEW
6. WII Dragon Ball Z Sparking! Meteor 34783 / NEW
7. PSP Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII 26729 / 690549
8. PSP MGS: Portable Ops+ 22795 / 152668
9. NDS Kanji Quiz DS 2 20573 / 43673
10. NDS Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisecchi: Mina San Kyu 19197 / 67516
11. NDS Mario Kart DS 10985 / 2467736
12. NDS My Housekeeping Diary 10865 / 232134
13. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 10774 / 4836819
14. WII Mario Party 8 10405 / 845270
15. WII Mario Strikers: Charged 10338 / 63194
16. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 10037 / 4394993
17. NDS Taiko Drum Master 9562 / 152766
18. PS2 Bleach Blade Battlers 2 9181 / 40857
19. WII Wii Play 9081 / 1582251
20. PS2 Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryoku Series Vol. 11: Shinseiki Evangelion: Magokoro 8901 / 33195
21. WII Wii Sports 8753 / 2015956
22. 360 Halo 3 8380 / 69523
23. PS3 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 8296 / 31284
24. PS2 Guitar Freaks V3 & DrumMania V3 7874 / NEW
25. PSP Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force 2 6953 / 37121
26. NDS Brain Training 2 6939 / 4693470
27. WII Jikkyou Power Pro Major League 2 6784 / NEW
28. PS2 Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus 6565 / 30706
29. NDS More English Training 6539 / 559118
30. NDS English Quiz DS 6471 / 15366

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
donny2112 said:
NPD and real life had taken most of my attention since Thursday, so I didn't get to it until now. It's nice to know someone noticed, though. :)

Famitsu Oct 1-7

1. PS2 Dragon Ball Z Sparking! Meteor 161752 / NEW
2. PSP Gundam Battle Chronicle 86538 / NEW
3. NDS Archaic Sealed Heat 58102 / NEW
4. NDS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time 55310 / 912521
5. PS2 Jikkyou Power Pro Major League 2 42946 / NEW
6. WII Dragon Ball Z Sparking! Meteor 34783 / NEW
7. PSP Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII 26729 / 690549
8. PSP MGS: Portable Ops+ 22795 / 152668
9. NDS Kanji Quiz DS 2 20573 / 43673
10. NDS Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisecchi: Mina San Kyu 19197 / 67516
11. NDS Mario Kart DS 10985 / 2467736
12. NDS My Housekeeping Diary 10865 / 232134
13. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 10774 / 4836819
14. WII Mario Party 8 10405 / 845270
15. WII Mario Strikers: Charged 10338 / 63194
16. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 10037 / 4394993
17. NDS Taiko Drum Master 9562 / 152766
18. PS2 Bleach Blade Battlers 2 9181 / 40857
19. WII Wii Play 9081 / 1582251
20. PS2 Hisshou Pachinko*Pachi-Slot Kouryoku Series Vol. 11: Shinseiki Evangelion: Magokoro 8901 / 33195
21. WII Wii Sports 8753 / 2015956
22. 360 Halo 3 8380 / 69523
23. PS3 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 8296 / 31284
24. PS2 Guitar Freaks V3 & DrumMania V3 7874 / NEW
25. PSP Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Tag Force 2 6953 / 37121
26. NDS Brain Training 2 6939 / 4693470
27. WII Jikkyou Power Pro Major League 2 6784 / NEW
28. PS2 Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus 6565 / 30706
29. NDS More English Training 6539 / 559118
30. NDS English Quiz DS 6471 / 15366
:(

mepaco

schuelma said:
My thoughts as well. That said, doesn't that model come like right after Galaxy and right when RE:UC comes out? I don't know if the streams will cross then either.

Do you guys think it will do well because of the color or just because it is a cheaper model? I was surprised at how poorly the 40GB seems to be selling based on the PAL reports and I'm kind of wondering if it will do much better in Japan.

mepaco said:
Do you guys think it will do well because of the color or just because it is a cheaper model? I was surprised at how poorly the 40GB seems to be selling based on the PAL reports and I'm kind of wondering if it will do much better in Japan.

I wonder why people expect PS3 > Wii on 11 November...

10 days after SMG release and 4 days before RE:UC.
If SMG will not move hardware, someone in Kyoto should start to be worried...

donny2112 said:

Famitsu Oct 1-7
Thanks for the chart, I love to see it well formatted and so, I have one question btw...could you add the digestibility rates to it? (maybe in brackets at the end or something).

If there is someone who doesn't know this, I'll explain. Famitsu adds digestibility rates for the top30 games.
http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/top30/1211347_1134.html

The guy walking means 0-50% sell through
The guy running means 51-75% sell through
And the one sprinting means 76-100% sell through

Its pretty interesting to see, for example for this week:
PS2 DBZ is from 51-75 while Wii one is 0-50....Gundam PSP is 75-100 while ASH is 0-50...both Major League 2 are 0-50...

Its nice to see because something like Mario Strikers which looked to have some legs is actually heavily overshipped since its sell through is less than 50%, so it shipment was at least twice the sold amount by now.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Thanks for the chart, I love to see it well formatted and so, I have one question btw...could you add the digestibility rates to it? (maybe in brackets at the end or something).

If there is someone who doesn't know this, I'll explain. Famitsu adds digestibility rates for the top30 games.
http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/top30/1211347_1134.html

The guy walking means 0-50% sell through
The guy running means 51-75% sell through
And the one sprinting means 76-100% sell through

Its pretty interesting to see, for example for this week:
PS2 DBZ is from 51-75 while Wii one is 0-50....Gundam PSP is 75-100 while ASH is 0-50...both Major League 2 are 0-50...

Its nice to see because something like Mario Strikers which looked to have some legs is actually heavily overshipped since its sell through is less than 50%, so it shipment was at least twice the sold amount by now.

Besides MP8, Wii Sports & Play, everything is selling pretty bad relative to their shipments. Yes it's early and the software isn't that great, but to be selling worse than some PSP games is a pretty bad sign.

Smiles and Cries said:
uhmm si what are the reasons the PS3 will beat Wii in next week's hardware charts?

"Pricedrop".

Wollan

It won't (isn't the price cut just 5000yen on each model?)but it can possibly do it with the new white one (on the week of 11th of November).

Loonz

Jokeropia said:
White PS3 is released one week after Mario Galaxy.

Exactly. I wonder why some people here think that the white PS3 can outsold Wii few days after Mario Galaxy's launch in Japan. I mean, sure, it's going to move some numbers, but nowhere near those the Wii is going to move when Galaxy is out.

schuelma

bmf said:
Has anyone been able to pinpoint the reasons that the Wii is down around 20k every week lately?

The market finally tired of Wii Sports.

Jokeropia

This is the slowest part of the year for sales, and the drop affected pretty much all systems (including the PSP before FF:CC and the new version was released). Historically it's the same, even the PS2 in it's heyday didn't pull big sales during this period.

schuelma said:
The market finally tired of Wii Sports.
Jokeropia said:
This is the slowest part of the year for sales, and the drop affected pretty much all systems (including the PSP before FF:CC and the new version was released). Historically it's the same, even the PS2 in it's heyday didn't pull big sales during this period.
Both seem somewhat valid, but what I'm more interested how abruptly it seemed to drop. It's the type of thing that I'd want to attribute to a specific event.

Then again, it might just be the pre-holiday lul. Hopefully the holiday will show the type of sales that I expect.

donny2112

bmf said:
Both seem somewhat valid, but what I'm more interested how abruptly it seemed to drop. It's the type of thing that I'd want to attribute to a specific event.

Obon Day holiday week. That was the week of a large shipment for the holiday and when the first reports of Wiis being readily available came out. It has been dropping every week since then.

Late August through mid-November isn't usually too active, anyways, and the lack of compelling games or non-games has led to the slowdown. Wii Sports could only carry the console so long, essentially by itself.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

I don't keep track of it myself (everything I post, I keep track of). I agree it is interesting at times, but I don't think it would be worth it to track every week. I also don't keep track of the publisher data, but that's more of a personal preference. Sorry.

Bebpo

Banned
bmf said:

They started getting enough units out there that it wasn't "rare" and "hard to find" anymore. So the "omg I need to buy right now because the store has only 5 left and they'll be gone in 3 mins!" craze has left and the only people buying it are ones who actually want to play Wii games.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
White PS3 is released one week after Mario Galaxy.

True. Due to this i dont think there is a chance that PS3 will outsell Wii around those weeks. Is the 40GB out yet by the way? Or will that also be released on 11th of November? I'd say the biggest chances PS3 have to outsell Wii this year is this week due to the pricedrop and when GT5:prologue comes out.

DiddyBop

mark my words: once the ps3 drops with the lower price in japan, it will continually outsell the wii.

next gen will also focus heavily on portable gaming, seems like the japanese don't like home consoles anymore. as with the current trend,every final fantasy spin off will be released on handhelds only. many more big franchises will see their next major release on handhelds also next gen. dragon quest 9 was just the beginning.

Eteric Rice

DiddyBop said:
mark my words: once the ps3 drops with the lower price in japan, it will continually outsell the wii.

next gen will also focus heavily on portable gaming, seems like the japanese don't like home consoles anymore. as with the current trend,every final fantasy spin off will be released on handhelds only. many more big franchises will see their next major release on handhelds also next gen. dragon quest 9 was just the beginning.

:lol

Top Bottom