• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11/17 - 11/24

duckroll

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's not the nature of filing dates, it's the making sure things get into one financial year or another to make one or the other look better, even if it's just a difference in release date of a few weeks. Anyone who's actually paying attention can see what's happened and the sum of the two years will end up the same anyway, so it seems like a very transparent effort to impress people who aren't paying much attention.

It's not about impressing people. It's simply about having balanced sheets. When a company operates under a fiscal year, that is their calander system. It means any decision they're making is usually made way in advance in line with this calander system. Release dates are not made when they are announced to the public, they're usually made way in advance in line with development.

For example, DQIX is not being released in March because they're delaying it to be the last game in the fiscal year. It is being released in March because that's the latest that Iwata is willing to wait for the game to be finished. It's been delayed for centuries.

As for the sum of two years being the same, that's not how you evaluate business. A business is assessed on profit margin every year, because you have to take into account ongoing operation costs, expenditure for each year, and then assess profit for that cycle. This allows investors to study and evaluate how well managed the company is, and how resources are being spent in each year to get the profit result for that period.

Note that most of the investors and shareholders probably don't give a crap about the actual games. They care about how their investment in the company is being valued and they care about the company rising in value or retaining its value so they don't lose out on their investment. The fact that S-E is in the games business is of interest to us, because we're consumers first and foremost, and that often clouds the outlook of what certain business practices exist.

Spiegel

duckroll said:
For example, DQIX is not being released in March because they're delaying it to be the last game in the fiscal year. It is being released in March because that's the latest that Iwata is willing to wait for the game to be finished. It's been delayed for centuries.

Nintendo runs S-E now. I knew it.

donny2112

Jonnyram said:
By the way, has anyone else typed up the LTD DS edutainment sales from "Famitsu for Family" yet? There are a few surprises that have been bubbling away off the bottom of the top 30 by the looks of it.

e.g. Nepleague DS 152,989
IQ Supli DS 258,476
Magic Taizen 277,815

Are Let's Yoga @ 23405, DS Bookkeeping Level 3 @ 31866, and More TOEIC Test Training @ 43060 part of it? If so, does it say what date the sales are through? I'm assuming the week of Oct 20-26, 2008. Game Data Museum had an update of a bunch of seemingly random, older games around then. If they came from a Famitsu for Family update, that would explain it. The full list hasn't been separately posted, though.

Thanks! :)

duckroll said:
It is being released in March because that's the latest that Iwata is willing to wait for the game to be finished.

Do you mean Wada?

Jonnyram

donny2112 said:
Are Let's Yoga @ 23405, DS Bookkeeping Level 3 @ 31866, and More TOEIC Test Training @ 43060 part of it? If so, does it say what date the sales are through? I'm assuming the week of Oct 20-26, 2008. Game Data Museum had an update of a bunch of seemingly random, older games around then. If they came from a Famitsu for Family update, that would explain it. The full list hasn't been separately posted, though.
It actually says the data is current as of Oct 8, but the numbers match those, yeah. The mag came out on 31 October apparently. Why the hell did I buy it? :lol

duckroll said:
As for the sum of two years being the same, that's not how you evaluate business. A business is assessed on profit margin every year, because you have to take into account ongoing operation costs, expenditure for each year, and then assess profit for that cycle. This allows investors to study and evaluate how well managed the company is, and how resources are being spent in each year to get the profit result for that period.
I guess this is why I don't do business. If two consecutive years had profits of 90 million and 60 million rather than 77 million and 83 million due to scheduling differences, it doesn't seem like something worth getting worked up about to me. While others might look at it like "Profits down 50%!" versus "Profits up 8%!"

JoshuaJSlone said:
I guess this is why I don't do business. If two consecutive years had profits of 90 million and 60 million rather than 77 million and 83 million due to scheduling differences, it doesn't seem like something worth getting worked up about to me. While others might look at it like "Profits down 50%!" versus "Profits up 8%!"

Shareholders recieve dividends, which are a portion of the yearly profit. If nobody was buying or shares for a whole year, they would still be making money from their investment.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I know this is how businesses actually operate, but I guess I don't understand why. I know they want to time things to make one financial year or another look impressive, but when everyone knows this is what's going on I don't know why it works.

It basically comes down to reporting profits to shareholders. The way you check on how a company is doing is by comparing its quarterly and YoY performance; if those things are going up, they're doing well.

Because Square-Enix's business model has a couple types of games (DQ and FF mainline titles) which produce an order of magnitude more sales, in general, than all their other titles, they can't put two of these in the same year -- otherwise that year would have a really, really high profit that the company would be unable to match in future years, making them look bad to shareholders.

The FY is off-cycle with the CY just because. It's probably an artifact of when the company was founded, or when the merger happened.

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's not the nature of filing dates, it's the making sure things get into one financial year or another to make one or the other look better, even if it's just a difference in release date of a few weeks. Anyone who's actually paying attention can see what's happened and the sum of the two years will end up the same anyway, so it seems like a very transparent effort to impress people who aren't paying much attention.

It's not so much that as massaging the historical data so it's easier to look back at without needing a bunch of provisos. Square-Enix can't ever expect to regularly produce a year where FF and DQ both release, so letting it happen once by chance sets up unmeetable expectations and makes all their other years look bad in comparison.

Johann

Spiegel said:
Nintendo runs S-E now. I knew it.

Well, their DS games are the real breadwinners for the company.

I remember way back when Nintendo flat out demanded the FF3 remake to be made on the DS. Yamauchi would be proud.

Jokeropia

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Looks like we can have a good guess at DSi sales last week. Enterbrain says DSi has surpassed 500k and is at 535.379. Since previous weeks were: 170,779 + 93,136 + 81,156 + ~102,000...so its about 88,308 last week.
Hasn't DSi sold roughly 85-90k for several weeks now? (Most assuredly due to evenly sized shipments.) The DSL has varied a little though.

[Nintex]

Regulus Tera said:
Any more info on that? I'm interested.
Nintendo always pushed S-E around, they weren't allowed to release games on the GBA unless they made something for the cube as well. That's how we got Crystal Chronicles.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
charlequin said:
It basically comes down to reporting profits to shareholders. The way you check on how a company is doing is by comparing its quarterly and YoY performance; if those things are going up, they're doing well.

Because Square-Enix's business model has a couple types of games (DQ and FF mainline titles) which produce an order of magnitude more sales, in general, than all their other titles, they can't put two of these in the same year -- otherwise that year would have a really, really high profit that the company would be unable to match in future years, making them look bad to shareholders.

The FY is off-cycle with the CY just because. It's probably an artifact of when the company was founded, or when the merger happened.
Dont forget KH

donny2112

[Nintex] said:
Nintendo always pushed S-E around, they weren't allowed to release games on the GBA unless they made something for the cube as well. That's how we got Crystal Chronicles.

Q-fund. What I find most ironic is that the original description of the Final Fantasy game from Square using the Q-fund money (play the game at home, transfer to the GBA to play on the train, transfer back to the console to continue playing at home) is what Final Fantasy: Echoes of Time is turning out to be. :D

Square abandoned the N64 for the CDs on the PSX and convinced a lot of other third-parties to go with them. This pissed off Yamauchi who made some very disparaging comments about Square. That animosity continued until Iwata took over as president, and Square was really feeling the financial hurt to need GBA game revenue. The Q-fund was the excuse to satisfy Yamauchi (Final Fantasy back on a Nintendo console) and Square (GBA game development).

I still don't remember Nintendo ever demanding that FFIII be made for the DS, though.

jeremy1456

donny2112 said:
Q-fund. What I find most ironic is that the original description of the Final Fantasy game from Square using the Q-fund money (play the game at home, transfer to the GBA to play on the train, transfer back to the console to continue playing at home) is what Final Fantasy: Echoes of Time is turning out to be. :D

Square abandoned the N64 for the CDs on the PSX and convinced a lot of other third-parties to go with them. This pissed off Yamauchi who made some very disparaging comments about Square. That animosity continued until Iwata took over as president, and Square was really feeling the financial hurt to need GBA game revenue. The Q-fund was the excuse to satisfy Yamauchi (Final Fantasy back on a Nintendo console) and Square (GBA game development).

I still don't remember Nintendo ever demanding that FFIII be made for the DS, though.

You are correct.

Nintendo never, ever demanded FFIII be released on the DS. That was all Square.

donny2112

New Fortune telling Wii Channel for Japan.

Nintendo gave the Japanese Wii its latest channel today, the somewhat oddly named "Today and Tomorrow Fortune Lucky Channel." This fortune telling channel can be downloaded for free from the Wii Shopping Channel.

The main mode appears to be Today's Fortune, Tomorrow's Fortune. This mode gives you a numerical rating to indicate your luckiness for the current day and the next day, and also provides four star ratings on luck levels for love, work, studies, communication, and money. Hold down A and B to make your Mii concentrate, and the Mii's clothing will turn into your lucky color for the day.

The last three modes are lifestyle guides. Food Guide, Play Guide, and Beauty Guide offer advice respectively for eating, playing, and (despite the "beauty" name), improving your luck.

How popular are "luck" games in Japan? Isn't Pachinko essentially a "luck" game?

Pachael

duckroll said:
For example, DQIX is not being released in March because they're delaying it to be the last game in the fiscal year. It is being released in March because that's the latest that Wada is willing to wait for the game to be finished. It's been delayed for centuries.

I remember FFXII being rushed out for March 2006 for precisely the same reason, delayed for centuries (In Matsuno time, it's two days). They'd already missed one (two?) fiscal years!

jeremy1456 said:
You are correct.

Nintendo never, ever demanded FFIII be released on the DS. That was all Square.
Yeah, "politely asked" sounds more appropriate:

Hiromichi Tanaka said:
"So, although there were several opportunities to redevelop Final Fantasy III, we simply couldn't do it - up until about two years ago, which was about 15 years after the launch of the original game, when it was decided that we would definitely go ahead and re-make the game. At that time we were considering developing it for PlayStation 2, but then we heard from Nintendo about their new handheld platform, the Nintendo DS - and they asked us if we could please make Final Fantasy III on that platform instead. It was good timing, and it was an interesting challenge, so we decided to go ahead with that."

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74024

sphinx

the piano man
DSi sales surpass 535K in Japan

By Tom Magrino, GameSpot Posted Dec 2, 2008 3:35 pm

PT Famitsu reports second redesign of Nintendo's popular portable enjoys strong says in first month on market.

Only a few days out, and it was clear that demand for the Nintendo DSi would be strong in Japan. Launched in the island nation on November 1, the second redesign for Nintendo's current-gen portable gaming device sold 170,779 units in its first 48 hours on the market, according to Famitsu publisher and Japanese stat-tracking organization Enterbrain. As noted by the media company in early November, retailers sold through their initial shipments of the ¥18,900 ($179) device within minutes.

It's watching you...
Today, Enterbrain reassessed the DSi's position after one month on the market, and apparently, sales have continued their brisk pace. Enterbrain reports that Nintendo's latest handheld moved 535,379 units in the month following its debut. In all, the Nintendo DS, the DS Lite, and the DSi have combined to sell more than 24.2 million units in Japan, a healthy chunk of the global tally of 84.3 million units Nintendo announced in October.

Officially revealed at the beginning of October, the Nintendo DSi is the third iteration of the hardware maker's popular portable, which was first rolled out in 2004. The new model sports a Web browser, music playback, an SD card multimedia storage, a 3-megapixel camera, a smaller inward-facing camera, and photo editing software, as well as larger and brighter dual screens. The new functionality comes at the expense of the Game Boy Advance cartridge slot, which is absent altogether.

According to Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime, the DSi won't find its way onto North American store shelves until well into 2009 due to unflagging demand of the DS Lite.

so leaked famitsu numbers can be found somewhere....

where?... I wonder

duckroll

Pachael said:
I remember FFXII being rushed out for March 2006 for precisely the same reason, delayed for centuries (In Matsuno time, it's two days). They'd already missed one (two?) fiscal years!

We could say the same for the FFXIII demo too. S-E is having problems getting their major titles out on time lately. When Dissidia was announced in May last year, Nomura even said that the title "would have no meaning if it did not make it out by the end of the year" since last year was FF's 20th anniversary. :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sphinx said:
so leaked famitsu numbers can be found somewhere....

where?... I wonder

No, this SPECIFIC DSi LTD number was reported. Nothing else. This is not an extrapolation on the part of the western writer, reading a full data list and deciding to write an article on this. This is the specific number released.

duckroll said:
We could say the same for the FFXIII demo too. S-E is having problems getting their major titles out on time lately. When Dissidia was announced in May last year, Nomura even said that the title "would have no meaning if it did not make it out by the end of the year" since last year was FF's 20th anniversary. :lol

If we wanted to do the most relevant example to the current situation, consider when DQVII missed its final fiscal year target before release, Enix massively undershot profit projections and lost around 60% of its share value pretty much overnight. That's one of the many events that precipitated the Enix side of the merger.

Spiegel

Top 10 Famitsu:

1. Professor Layton and The Last Time Travel (Level 5) (NDS)
2. Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) (PS3)
3. Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) (Wii)
4. Chrono Trigger DS (Square Enix) (NDS)
5. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force 3 (Konami) (PSP)
6. Gundam vs. Gundam (Namco Bandai) (PSP)
7. Kenka Banchou 3: Zenkoku Seiha (Spike) (PSP)
8. Hoshi no Kirby: Ultra Super Deluxe (Nintendo) (NDS)
9. Warriors Orochi 2 (Koei) (PSP)
10. Higurashi Daybreak Portable (Alchemist) (PSP)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1220279_1796.html

GCX

Go Layton go! :)

I'm happy the first game is doing pretty damn well in UK so we still have hope for the whole trilogy to be released in English.

donny2112

While searching for the link for the MC blog in past MC threads, I came across this little discussion that I must have missed before.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Stumpokapow said:
gtj1092 is part of the legendary class of posters whose usernames come in the form [A-Za-z]{3,5}[0-9]{3,5}. It's weird, but they all post pretty much the exact same stuff. Most of them fly under the radar, but a few of them get banned. Scientists haven't figured out the exact mechanism by which the choice of username impacts the quality of posts, but they're working on it.
Like donny2112?

:p

The MC blog and 2ch haven't updated, by the way. :)

Edit:
sinobi has, though.

Layton 3 - 360K
PS3 PES 2009 - 175K
360 PES 2009 - 9K
PSP Tag Force 3 - 64K
PSP Kenka Banchou 3 - 49K
PSP Orochi - 43K
PSP Higurashi Daybreak - 33K
Patapon 2 - 24K
Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki Set - 10K

PSP Gundam vs. Gundam - 300K LTD

Not sure about this.
など
廉価版の「ロストレグナム」と「萌え萌え2次大戦」の2タイトルを除く
全ての新作が1万本オーバーという好調ぶり。

Edit2:
Thanks to duckroll for the translation of the above. :)

sinobi said:
this is a very good week, with all new titles selling over 10k at least, except for the budget priced re-release of Lost Regnum (PSP) and the Moemoe WW2 PS2/PSP strategy game.

Link

The Autumn Wind
cw_sasuke said:
Of the 6 new entrys 4 are PSP Games...wow...
Once publishers realized they could just avoid making games for the Wii by instead developing for the PSP, I'm sure there was a collective sigh of relief coming out of Japan.

donny2112 said:
Edit:
sinobi has, though.

Layton 3 - 360K
PS3 PES 2009 - 175K
360 PES 2009 - 9K
PSP Tag Force 3 - 64K
PSP Kenka Banchou 3 - 49K
PSP Orochi - 43K
PSP Higurashi Daybreak - 33K
Patapon 2 - 24K
Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki Set - 10K

PSP Gundam vs. Gundam - 300K LTD

Not sure about this.

So AC and CT look to be falling somewhere between 175k and 64k then… what were the second weeks for AC:WW and AC on the ‘Cube like? I’d be interested to see where the Wii entry is heading.

donny2112

Elios83 said:
Famitsu hardware numbers:

DSi 88000
PSP 58000
Wii 42000
PS3 35000
DSL 24000
360 12000
PS2 7000

I saw those at 2ch, but I think they were just someone's predictions. It didn't have the normal formatting of the Famitsu leaks.

duckroll

donny2112 said:
Not sure about this.

He is saying that this is a very good week, with all new titles selling over 10k at least, except for the budget priced re-release of Lost Regnum (PSP) and the Moemoe WW2 PS2/PSP strategy game.

Edit: Whoops, that was a PS2 game.

Edit2: It's on PS2 -and- PSP, but no one cares I bet!

Spiegel

PS3 PES 2009 bundle at 35k? That's a good number (if true)

Last year PS3 PES 2009 did 145k (this year 175k but there was no PS2 version).

And PS2/PSP versions have been dated. January 29

gogogow

Wow, 5 PSP games in the top 10.

Gamefront is posting enterbrain numbers which is different than what Elios83 posted:

1. NDSi: 85.254
2. PSP: 62.978
3. PS3: 31.174
4. Wii: 28.588
5. 360: 10.816
6. NDS Lite: 8.480
7. PS2: 5.176

Jaruru

Cosmonaut X said:
So AC and CT look to be falling somewhere between 175k and 64k then… what were the second weeks for AC:WW and AC on the ‘Cube like? I’d be interested to see where the Wii entry is heading.

those are some good numbers for AC. just don't compare the Wii version with the DS. :D

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gogogow said:
Wow, 5 PSP games in the top 10.

Gamefront is posting enterbrain numbers which is different than what Elios83 posted:

IF those numbers are true Wii is in a world of trouble IMO

Elios83

donny2112 said:
I saw those at 2ch, but I think they were just someone's predictions. It didn't have the normal formatting of the Famitsu leaks.

I found them on the banned chartz site :lol Usually reporting Famitsu numbers is the only reliable thing on the site, I guess that's not true :D
So Gamefront's numbers might very well be the true Famitsu numbers.

Interesting, both Layton and PES PS3 managed to turn around lower figures for the respective first days of their previous entries (+50k for Layton, +30k for PES PS3). 360 didn't though.

Pretty fine overall for PSP software, Yugioh beats previous PSP entries, Kenka Banchou outsold PS2 entries, Orochi 2 near Orochi 1 (52k), Higurashi spinoff outsold DS game, Patapon 2 beated Patapon, Gundam crosses 300k...

gogogow

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Interesting, both Layton and PES PS3 managed to turn around lower figures for the respective first days of their previous entries (+50k for Layton, +30k for PES PS3). 360 didn't though.

Pretty fine overall for PSP software, Yugioh beats previous PSP entries, Kenka Banchou outsold PS2 entries, Orochi 2 near Orochi 1 (52k), Higurashi spinoff outsold DS game, Patapon 2 beated Patapon, Gundam crosses 300k...
...but did not boost the HW sales.....hmmmmm.....

donny2112

schuelma said:

The DS Lite number makes a lot more sense. Based off of Amazon reseller markups, the available supply of DS Lites should be going down. The earlier numbers had the sales for DSL going up.

Minsc

Gold Member
schuelma said:

If Wii can't move away from that 25K/week they are going to sell 1-200K in December instead of ~800K (last year). As it is, they underperformed by quite a bit for November against last year. Doesn't matter much to them since in the other regions the Wii is still on fire I suppose.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Minsc said:
If Wii can't move away from that 25K/week they are going to sell 1-200K in December instead of ~800K (last year). As it is, they underperformed by quite a bit for November against last year. Doesn't matter much to them since in the other regions the Wii is still on fire I suppose.

I think it will go up in December, but no way will it get anywhere close to last year.

Nintendo has nothing heavy hitting until Wii Sports Resort sometime in the Spring..

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
While searching for the link for the MC blog in past MC threads, I came across this little discussion that I must have missed before.

:p

You're the exception that proves the rule. :p

Top Bottom