• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11 - 17 Dec (Nintendo shows MC its Pokemans)

cvxfreak said:
Pokemon DP total: 220,982 / 3,886,624

I wonder if Nintendo can exceed 300K or 400K one of these days, and have legs well into 2007. That would put it above Ruby and Sapphire before long.
We can only hope one day that Pokemon will be as popular as Blue Dragon in Japan to sell that much.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Odysseus said:
Zelda is losing to minigames available on the same console.

Minigames, dude.

There's no shame in losing out to Wii Sports (a showcase for the Wii) and Wii Play (controller pack-in) in the first few weeks of the console's release.

If Zelda sales fail to improve (and hit at least 1m) once people start going back to the stores looking for another Wii game...then obviously the Japanese audience is diverging from the Western audience in their attitudes towards titles like Zelda...but we'll have to wait and see if that is truely the case.

I Am Error said:
Even with plentiful supplies of the Wii/PS3, The DQIX bomb has yet to hit Japan yet.

I'm not saying any home-console has a chance of matching or exceeding the DSL sales...just that Wii/PS3 will have a secure place in the Japanese market once they are freely available.

KeithFranklin said:
Wasnt Nintendo supposed to have 4 million Wii's on store shelves this year?

4m worldwide was never going to result in much above 750k for Japan. But I doubt Nintendo will have got much above 3.5m out there at best.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
zankara said:
Maybe the general public is just not that interested in Zelda anymore...

Eh. In regards to Wii Sports outselling Zelda in North America and Europe - It's a pack-in! If you look at the attach ratio, Zelda is doing pretty damn well.

As for Japan...I have no idea.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
q*bert said:
Yeah kinda like they just did in the US on the last shopping weekend before xmas eve. All the stores were holding them back for last Sunday.

Are you being sarcastic (Anihawk giving away free lessons?) or did this really happen last year?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Tempy said:
Eh. In regards to Wii Sports outselling Zelda in North America and Europe - It's a pack-in! If you look at the attach ratio, Zelda is doing pretty damn well.
There's a reason Nintendo packed it in, they didn't want it cannibalizing Zelda sales.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Ynos Yrros said:
So, the only people in Japan that actually care about games and gaming are huge developer studios? Great to know. Country that was once synonymous to gaming is now killing it.

Pokemon, Kirby, Mario, Love & Berry, Jump Ultimate Stars, Wii Sports, Animal Crossing, Brain Training, Mario Kart

...you're right, some of the best selling DSL titles of 2006 and they are all shit non-games that are ruining gaming.

Clouseau

Barf_the_Mog said:
Are you being sarcastic (Anihawk giving away free lessons?) or did this really happen last year?

Huh? It just happened on Sunday. All the major retailers were holding wiis back for sunday and there were lines 50-100 deep again waiting.

AniHawk

Barf_the_Mog said:

Here were sales from 19th-25th from last year:

DS - 597,628
PSP - 161,332
PS2 - 97,475
GC - 36,646
GBASP - 35,764
GBM - 19,261
Xbox360 - 5,674
GBA - 906
Xbox - 141

And from the 12th-18th (essentially this week a year ago):

DS 408,770
PSP 95,689
PS2 55,342
GBASP 19,098
GC 17,849
GBM 14,432
Xbox360 8,623
GBA 416
Xbox 182

And the week before:

DS 299,328
PSP 86,403
PS2 45,893
Xbox360 43,970
GC 12,212
GBASP 10,456
GBM 8,326
GBA 396
Xbox 164

Jiggy

Ah, DS domination is restored and I am happy. DS domination plus the DS (Pokemon) expansion pack on Wii. Yes.

damisa

I hope japanese gamers haven't given up on PS3 games. I don't want 90% of new japanese development to be on wii/DS

Zelda didnt outsell everything else in its first week, and never well. No reason to act like youre disappointed week in and week out.

"Zelda outsold by jfiojaweifjafkla"

"Zelda isnt #1!"

"Zelda isnt in the Top 10"

Sheesh.

Yamauchi said:
Wow, Nintendo must be rolling in the money right now.

satoru-mcduck.jpg

yilmazz

MrSardonic said:
There's no shame in losing out to Wii Sports (a showcase for the Wii) and Wii Play (controller pack-in) in the first few weeks of the console's release.

If Zelda sales fail to improve (and hit at least 1m) once people start going back to the stores looking for another Wii game...then obviously the Japanese audience is diverging from the Western audience in their attitudes towards titles like Zelda...but we'll have to wait and see if that is truely the case.

Thank you. Exactly what I wanted to say.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
giga said:
Japan doesn't like next-gen?

Japan doesn't like X360. As for the PS3 - there aren't many units out there and the launch games aren't exactly stunning, so no surprise there. People are primarily buying games for systems they own - ie something with a sizable user-base.

Wii does have 3 titles in the Top 30 - but most of the disappointment comes from Zelda not being there.

(Waits for someone to say Wii isn't next-gen)

jimbo

Banned
Xavien said:
If BD couldn't save the 360 in japan, i don't think anything will. Bebpo must be in convolutions right now :lol

Still the lack of Zelda in those charts is extremely worrying, but atleast Nintendo has pretty much the rest of the chart, Microsoft doesn't have anything else out there.

If Microsoft is to have a 'chance' at Japan, they'll need to launch 3-5 Games aimed at the Japanese market all within 1 month of each other and perhaps bundle one of them with the 360.

But... quite frankly its no use, Nintendo has Japan by the proverbial Balls.

If the 360 really sold 17k this week than that's all because of Blue Dragon. While it is dissapointing it didn't make the top 30, I wouldn't expect to ever see the game on the charts considering that the 360 user base is so small and there's just not that many people who are interested in that type of game that don't own it already.

If BD never charts again, but the 360 can at least maintain around 10k a week, then that's more than MS could ever hope for and WAAYYYY better than seeing BD on the charts but the system falling back down to 2k a week. Helping the 360 sell 50-100k units of hardware is the success equivalent of the game selling 500k by itself. After all that's what BD is supposed to do: sell hardware.

jimbo said:
If the 360 really sold 17k this week than that's all because of Blue Dragon. While it is dissapointing it didn't make the top 30, I wouldn't expect to ever see the game on the charts considering that the 360 user base is so small and there's just not that many people who are interested in that type of game that don't own it already.

If BD never charts again, but the 360 can at least maintain around 10k a week, then that's more than MS could ever hope for and WAAYYYY better than seeing BD on the charts but the system falling back down to 2k a week. Helping the 360 sell 50-100k units of hardware is the success equivalent of the game selling 500k by itself. After all that's what BD is supposed to do: sell hardware.

Do you think that Japan is a lost cause for Microsoft with future Xbox generations?

Aurora

cvxfreak said:
Pokemon DP total: 220,982 / 3,886,624

I wonder if Pokemon DP can exceed 300K or 400K one of these weeks, and have legs well into 2007. That would put it above Ruby and Sapphire before long.
What are R/S LTD in Japan?

Troidal

papercut said:
Luckily for you the rest of the world loves its shooters and action/adventure games, so the big Japanese developers don't all have to turn to "minigame fests" and puppy simulators to make money.

Exactly. As long as the trend is strong in the US and European with true next-gen experiences, that's good enough for me. Japan can go touch themselves with the DS and their mini-games.

jimbo

Banned
gamergirly said:
Do you think that Japan is a lost cause for Microsoft with future Xbox generations?

All depends on how the 360 does. If it can't match the original Xbox with the software that it has coming out for it, absolutely. But if it can at least quadruple its user base, that is 1-2 mil over the next 4-5 years, deffinitely not.

But then again you also have to look at something else. Japan is just a country. MS sells even less systems in Australia than it does in Japan, yet just because over there it falls within "normal numbers" it's considered a success even though the overall user base is smaller than that of Japan. So if they're willing to support it in countries like that, why not Japan?

In all honesty though, MS would have had a much better shot of launching the 360 over there this year along with BD and LP. That would have gotten it to the number its at now much faster. I believe it's much easier to launch with a bang, then to try and reverse all the negativity and the disaster its been over there for the past year.

Pellham

Banned
er Zelda's done pretty damn good for a game released on a system with a roughly 2-3m userbase. Given the game's nature (fantasy action adventure) I don't think anyone should have expected it to be a hit among young kids (who can't handle a game that complex) or casuals who've never gamed before. And it's still the 3rd best selling Wii game in Japan.

I don't think any of the Zelda games since Link to the Past have even passed the million point in Japan? I could be wrong, maybe one of the GBA ones did...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
cvxfreak said:
Did anyone seriously expect the PS3 to do gangbusters this year with that lineup they have there?

We were told that the PS3 would sell 5 million units without games. I'm sure Sony had better plans than this. They, and everyone else, are getting their asses handed to them by a handheld.

heidern

GoldenEye 007 said:
So, are we looking at the very real possibility that the DS will become the premier gaming platform in Japan?

Now? I told you about this last year.

There's a reason Nintendo packed it in, they didn't want it cannibalizing Zelda sales.

They should have just packed in Zelda.

andthebeatgoeson

Agent Icebeezy said:
We were told that the PS3 would sell 5 million units without games. I'm sure Sony had better plans than this. They, and everyone else, are getting their asses handed to them by a handheld.
Everybody assumed they would sell whatever they had. That included numbers like 4 and 6 million by spring. I know they are restricted by manufacturing but people still thought they could sell out any and everything.

Mar

Ahh, that's more like it. No more 360 and PS3 in the Nintendo chart. I mean, what were they thinking?

The Japanese confuse me. Wario is out over there right? I thought that was going to be a big title for the new 'touch waggle generation' gamers. I wonder if even Nintendo know what their customers want.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Martoo said:
Ahh, that's more like it. No more 360 and PS3 in the Nintendo chart. I mean, what were they thinking?

The Japanese confuse me. Wario is out over there right? I thought that was going to be a big title for the new 'touch waggle generation' gamers. I wonder if even Nintendo know what their customers want.

Why is that in spoilers? :lol

Seriously, Wario Ware bombing is the only thing that's shocking to me. I have no answers except it seems that Wario Ware is a portable franchise only.

Mii

Banned
Does Japan really have room for two non-gamer machines? With all the yen thrown into their DS Lites, Brain Training, Animal Crossing, et al, will the Japanese still have the disposable income and interest to bring these 'non-game' tastes into their living rooms?

Is DS really Wii's greatest enemy?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
So when is Nintendo going to announce that people will be able to transfer their Mii from Animal Crossing Wii to Animal Crossing Wild World 2 on the DS?

Top Bottom