• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11 - 17 Dec (Nintendo shows MC its Pokemans)

Mii said:
Does Japan really have room for two non-gamer machines? With all the yen thrown into their DS Lites, Brain Training, Animal Crossing, et al, will the Japanese still have the disposable income and interest to bring these 'non-game' tastes into their living rooms?

Is DS really Wii's greatest enemy?

DS is outselling everything. If DS was only outselling Wii/GBA/Gamecube, then it would be a Nintendo problem. The huge sales of DS and medium to low sales of Wii/PS3/360 indicate that there ARE blending interests. The people buying DSses OUTNUMBER the people buying any of the given consoles, including 360 with a red hot killer in GOW and Wii's flying success. That would indicate that some of those buying handhelds are not interested in a console purchase as well. This factor is magnified greatly for Japan.

In some ways, it almost looks as if DS has REPLACED console gaming for some individuals. We might call it a handheld, but it's a portable console in their eyes.

cvxfreak said:
http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/ranking.html

1. (DS, Pokemon) Pokemon Diamond - 123,573 / 2,119,848
2. (DS, Pokemon) Pokemon Pearl - 97,409 / 1,766,776
3. (DS, Nintendo) Kirby Squeek Squad - 92,173 / 557,634
4. (DS, Sega) Fushigi no Dungeon: Furai no Shiren - 88,242
5. (DS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Brothers - 77,761 / 3,617,021
6. (DS, Sega) Love and Berry DS Collection - 72,841 / 608,545
7. (DS, Nintendo) Jump Ultimate Stars - 71,339 / 349,979
8. (PS2, SCE) Wild Arms 5 - 70,476
9. (Wii, Nintendo) Wii Sports - 69,923 / 318,473
10. (Wii, Pokemon) Pokemon Battle Revolution - 67,607

Pokemon DP total: 220,982 / 3,886,624

11. Common Knowledge Training
12. Wii Play
13. Animal Crossing Wild World
14. Yakuza 2
15. Recipe 1000 DS
16. Puyo Puyo!
17. Gundam SEED DESTNY Federation vs ZAFT II PLUS
18. More Brain Age
19. Naruto Shinobi Retsuden
20. Ryuusei no Rockman Pegasus
21. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 13 Ketteiban
22. World Soccer Winning Eleven 10 Ubiquitous Evolution (PSP)
23. Ryuusei no Rockman Dragon
24. MAPLUS Portable Navigator
25. 200 Mannin Kanji
26. Ryuusei no Rockman Leo
27. Mario Kart DS
28. Yakuza (PS2 The Best)
29. Momotarou Dentetsu 16
30. Brain Age

Ranking

DS: 19
PS2: 6
Wii: 3
PSP: 2
PS3/360/GBA: 0

Not bad. 360 momenetum am cry.

Odysseus

Banned
jimbo said:
All depends on how the 360 does. If it can't match the original Xbox with the software that it has coming out for it, absolutely. But if it can at least quadruple its user base, that is 1-2 mil over the next 4-5 years, deffinitely not.

Dude, no. Just no.

MS is essentially dead in Japan. The only thing left is to decide when to pull the plug. Vegetative state ftw?

Terrell

Oh, if only Nintendo hadn't underestimated launch demand and had more consoles out there... then maybe something would give the DS a run for its money.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Just awesome- we can blame Japan if Nintendo decides never to make another massive Zelda. WHat the hell is wrong with them? Why isnt TP selling there? Has everyone been transformed into a non-gamer? I dont get it.

Wii had a solid launch.. but they need something new now to keep the momentum going.

i wouldn't care about new releases really if they gave me something i want on the virtual console.. Give me a final fantasy or 7th sega or something! some rpg i loved that i can sink 30 hours into

metal slug anthology i do want but i can't find it anywhere!

cvxfreak

Sega's really rolling in the DS cash right now. Love and Berry shipped over a million, Shiren's doing pretty well and even a version of Puyo Puyo made it pretty high.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
cvxfreak said:
Sega's really rolling in the DS cash right now. Love and Berry shipped over a million, Shiren's doing pretty well and even a version of Puyo Puyo made it pretty high.
more than 100k?

cvxfreak

VicAlpha said:
more than 100k?

Obviously not, but it was #16, above Brain Age 2 and Gundam. Probably sold like 30-40K, good considering there were already two Puyo Puyo Fever games on the system.

Odrion

Banned
They'll make the next Zelda mini game based, with numerous dungeons that will really just be mini games and puzzles that takes advantage of the Wii-Mote.

Actually, I ment that to be a dark vision but that sounds like a pretty interesting concept!

uh, Rockman position in the chart is bad, if I remeber well Capcom expect to sell 600.000 units till the end of the fiscal year.

Odysseus

Banned
Odrion said:
They'll make the next Zelda mini game based, with numerous dungeons that will really just be mini games and puzzles that takes advantage of the Wii-Mote.

Actually, I ment that to be a dark vision but that sounds like a pretty interesting concept!

And people say I've lost my gaming soul.

Jonnyram

Puyo Puyo's been recalled by the way.
A hell of a bug was found :)

Culdcept Saga also has been pulled. New version should be on shelves in January, but at least existing versions can be patched over XBL.

Oliver.S

Sorry guys, its OT but i need your help and dont want to open a new thread:
Can you exchange savegames between two Wiis (with an SD Card)?

Mrbob

Extremely disappointed seeing Zelda drop out of the top 30 already. Easily the best game Nintendo has ever made. I used to think the doom and gloom of console gamine dieing in Japan was a joke, but when one of the best games ever made is being outsold by wiisports and wiiplay there is a problem.

MrSardonic said:
There's no shame in losing out to Wii Sports (a showcase for the Wii) and Wii Play (controller pack-in) in the first few weeks of the console's release.

If Zelda sales fail to improve (and hit at least 1m) once people start going back to the stores looking for another Wii game...then obviously the Japanese audience is diverging from the Western audience in their attitudes towards titles like Zelda...but we'll have to wait and see if that is truely the case.

You don't need Zelda to show japan audience taste is diverging from western taste. ;)

Christopher

Pellham said:
er Zelda's done pretty damn good for a game released on a system with a roughly 2-3m userbase. Given the game's nature (fantasy action adventure) I don't think anyone should have expected it to be a hit among young kids (who can't handle a game that complex) or casuals who've never gamed before. And it's still the 3rd best selling Wii game in Japan.

I don't think any of the Zelda games since Link to the Past have even passed the million point in Japan? I could be wrong, maybe one of the GBA ones did...

oh god people can spin anything, it tanked in Japan.

Odrion

Banned
Odysseus said:
And people say I've lost my gaming soul.

When they make the sequel and shift the series towards that direction for this generation I'll hang myself as well, that sounds good to you?

icecream

Public Health Threat
Odysseus said:
Dude, no. Just no.

MS is essentially dead in Japan. The only thing left is to decide when to pull the plug. Vegetative state ftw?
I still think it can at least exceed the original Xbox sales (even by 1) throughout its lifetime.

Odysseus

Banned
icecream said:
I still think it can at least exceed the original Xbox sales (even by 1) throughout its lifetime.

Well, yeah, that's still in the realm of possibility. The 360 is in a coma, it will sometimes twitch and occasionally moan when a new release comes along that tickles the fancy of a pocket of gamers, and then it will be silent once again. That is the destiny of Microsoft in Japan.

I don't really see how future iterations of the Xbox will be able to gain anything significant in Japan unless Microsoft builds their entire business strategy around breaking into there, which could potentially alienate it's US fanbase.

Oliver.S said:
Sorry guys, its OT but i need your help and dont want to open a new thread:
Can you exchange savegames between two Wiis (with an SD Card)?

Yes you can download Wii save files and put them on a SD card and put into your Wii or a different one. Take a look here for some info: http://www.wiisave.com/faq/index.html

Now if your talking about just trading between themselves then you can do that too. Insert a SD card into your wii and go to data mangement then copy the save file from your Wii to the SD card. Plug in the SD card into another Wii and play off the card or put it on the internal memory.

I was a junior here before too and I understand why you asked lol. its hard to ask questions when you can't really be noticed. Happy hunting.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
So how well did Blue Dragon do? Someone mentioned 360 sales were 5 digits this week (again) and Blue Dragon sold 17K.

Sounds pretty accurate considering it completely dropped off the list (top 30). Heh, so much for surpassing 200K in sales......Right now they haven't even hit 100......

Well, good luck Microsoft, and even Sony, in Japan. Wii's going to rape everything. Yes, not only its console-manufacturing-competitors, but everything that moves in Japan, will be raped by Wii.

Jonnyram

Pureauthor said:
I don't really see how future iterations of the Xbox will be able to gain anything significant in Japan unless Microsoft builds their entire business strategy around breaking into there, which could potentially alienate it's US fanbase.
I may be in the minority here, but I think their current strategy is about as good as it gets. The games they have lined up right now are quite amazing really. They just need to make sure third parties don't get too excited about PS3's hardware sales (the software sales are still shitty, somehow). Blue Dragon has shown the publishers that the machine can sell if the games are desirable. It's up to publishers to do their part and I'm sure MS will try to make it as comfortable for them as possible. Next year should be awesome though. Eternal Sonata (Spring) -> Lost Oddyssey (July) -> Infinite Undiscovery (Dec). No idea when Cry On is coming out, but hopefully that's next year too.

AniHawk said:
I think NSMB just beat SMW's sales this week. Next on the hitlist is SMB3
Now would be a great time to bust out that Mario chart, I know someone has it. (the one with each in-game Mario representing their game.)

BlackNMild2k1 said:
Now would be a great time to bust out that Mario chart, I know someone has it. (the one with each in-game Mario representing their game.)

Actually, given the thread title, I think it would be a pretty good time for the Pokemans chart to show up too.

Oliver.S

CrushDance said:
Yes you can download Wii save files and put them on a SD card and put into your Wii or a different one. Take a look here for some info: http://www.wiisave.com/faq/index.html

Now if your talking about just trading between themselves then you can do that too. Insert a SD card into your wii and go to data mangement then copy the save file from your Wii to the SD card. Plug in the SD card into another Wii and play off the card or put it on the internal memory.

I was a junior here before too and I understand why you asked lol. its hard to ask questions when you can't really be noticed. Happy hunting.
Thank you, you made my day :)

apujanata

BlackNMild2k1 said:

Moku promised to made a new one, after the sales figure of NSMB became official. So wait a little bit.

Markster

With all this talk about how in order to sell, a game has to be just a bunch of minigames....

When will DK64 hit the VC?! It's sure to sell gangbusters in this market!

enishi

So, Square-Enix, Bandai Namco and even Sega have learnt how to print money on DS.
When will Capcom and Konami know what to do then?

Capcom had a good chance with Rockman EXE but seems that it is under-performing... Btw, they have Pheonix. So, they may not worry about their portable sales (and they have the sole monster on PSP).
How about Konami? Most of their console series are doing bad/just ok on portable platform...

Jonnyram

I think Konami is making a start recently. Especially Kabutore seems like it's off to a good start. They're also releasing Konami Arcade Classics next year. It'd be pretty interesting to see Kojima Prod. make a Laser Squad type game with the Metal Gear brand. It doesn't have to be tied to Solid necessarily, just the general atmosphere. Also, I guess Iga is happy enough with Castlevania sales or he wouldn't have made a second game.

ethelred

enishi said:
So, Square-Enix, Bandai Namco and even Sega have learnt how to print money on DS.

Poor Square Enix... they've finally gotten their first DS bomb in Chocobo & the Magic Picture Book.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
Poor Square Enix... they've finally gotten their first DS bomb in Chocobo & the Magic Picture Book.
Maybe now they will keep mini-game compilations off the DS.

aeolist said:
Don't worry guys! Lost Odyssey will save the 360 in Japan!

*one month later*

Don't worry guys, Trusty Bell will save the 360 in Japan!

Wait till Spaceworld!!! oh...uh. Heheh, force of habit.

Xavien

Hero said:
Oh, wow, look at that, no Blue Dragon at all.

Where's Bebpo now?

He went into convulsions at the inability of Blue Dragon to make the 360 rise to heaven in Japan. Last i heard, some kind soul called for an ambulance.

threeball

Banned
Quit slamming Zelda. It can only sell as much as the Wii consoles sell. It is still carrying a 30-40% tie ratio if I recall correctly, so its not bad. It's just that the Wii avaliability isn't there.

Razoric

Banned
threeball said:
Quit slamming Zelda. It can only sell as much as the Wii consoles sell. It is still carrying a 30-40% tie ratio if I recall correctly, so its not bad. It's just that the Wii avaliability isn't there.

head-in-sand.jpg

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Keep the Zelda doom and gloom coming :lol

It's underperforming in the region where it is the least popular. Who woulda thunk it? Zelda isn't going anywhere thanks to North America and Europe.

fresquito

gamergirly said:
By whose standards did Zelda tank in?
By the troll standards that after seeing Wii is ahead of PS3 and Xbox360 saleswise in Japan, areclaiming doom and gloom over "real gaming". It's their last resort. It's happened before with the DS, and you see, it ended up with DQIX being announced :lol

I love how peoples favourites games not selling in japan leads them to claim the death of consoles. i don't like FPS, CONSOLES ARE DEAD IN THE US! oh wait =S how dare other people have different tastes than you guys. the two new console hardware units are selling out right? what more do you want!
i'm glad ninty is cashin in on having the courage to do something different.

How did The Wind Waker sell week-by-week over the first few months? I can't imagine it was too much more, respective to the user base.

Anyone have old MC sales from that period?

Also, I feel guilty, but can't help being a little happy. I love the look of TWW and all its fluid animations, and felt kinda betrayed when Nintendo decided to cater to whiny teens and make Link "realistic." Bring back little kid Link!

Top Bottom