• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

donny2112

John Harker said:
300,000 units is a lot sold for a game with that small of a budget on a 20 person dev team. It was no hit, but im certain it wasn't hard for them to recoup

The game was discounted to $10 when I bought it
I spent too much on it
. Price protection would've cut heavily into Capcom's bottom line. It isn't like they sell-in the game and the stores then have no means of getting some of that money back.

sphinx said:
Gamecube software of 2005 was like a sequence of bombs one exploding after the other. I don't think there was a single exclusive game that didn't bombed from Januray 2005 onwards. Maybe mario party 7 and mario strikers didn't do that horrible perhaps but it was all sadness and deception in the gamecube software front.

You're obviously talking about the U.S. from your choice of games. This isn't the first time you've decried the U.S. GameCube software late in its life, and you were no more correct then.

Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (IGN's article only looked at half the sales in its launch month)
Fire Emblem (sold almost in-line with the GBA games on less than half the userbase)
Mario Superstar Baseball (sold very well)
Star Fox: Assault (sold very well)
Pokemon XD (sold very well)

And of course Mario Party 7 and Strikers.

As far as non-exclusives:
Resident Evil 4 (sold as much as REmake and RE0 combined when it was done)
LEGO Star Wars (sold as much as the XBX version LTD despite launching 6 months later)

"Sadness and deception," my butt.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
donny2112 said:
ethelred said:
DeaconKnowledge said:
So..Ethelred was right?!
Always.
That's Fuzzy's byline.
And never forget it.

donny2112 said:
The game was discounted to $10 when I bought it
I spent too much on it
. Price protection would've cut heavily into Capcom's bottom line. It isn't like they sell-in the game and the stores then have no means of getting some of that money back.
I've seen Killer 7 for $8.88 CAD many times and I still never bought it. :lol

OT: Is XIII for the GCN worth $8.88 CAD?

sphinx

the piano man
donny2112 said:
You're obviously talking about the U.S. from your choice of games. This isn't the first time you've decried the U.S. GameCube software late in its life, and you were no more correct then.

Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (IGN's article only looked at half the sales in its launch month)
Fire Emblem (sold almost in-line with the GBA games on less than half the userbase)

And of course Mario Party 7 and Strikers.

As far as non-exclusives:
Resident Evil 4 (sold as much as REmake and RE0 combined when it was done)
LEGO Star Wars (sold as much as the XBX version LTD despite launching 6 months later)

"Sadness and deception," my butt.

I don't have the data but I always had the impression that late gamecube games did well " for a gamecube exclusive game late in the console's lifetime ". I guess my impression is wrong.

I would like to know what kind of numbers are we talking about when you say " sold very well " .

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Fuzzy said:
OT: Is XIII for the GCN worth $8.88 CAD?

I have no idea about the GCN version, but I bought the PS2 version for $15 and I enjoyed it enough that I would have paid full price for it. Fun, albeit not AAA first-person shooter with a great art style. Load times are a bit annoying, but not that bad. Story is pretty good, ending is weak. I'd recommend it at that price for sure.

lordmrw

sphinx said:
I am glad I wasn't they only one that noticed this particular thing.

Gamecube software of 2005 was like a sequence of bombs one exploding after the other. I don't think there was a single exclusive game that didn't bombed from Januray 2005 onwards. Maybe mario party 7 and mario strikers didn't do that horrible perhaps but it was all sadness and deception in the gamecube software front.

I really hope this doens't happen with any console this generation... it's such a pity.

Resident Evil 4, but then again there were very few GC exclusives released in 2005.

Vinnk

What about Veiwtiful Joe 2 on GC? Was that a hit?

As for Japan, by 2005 GC games had slowed to a trickle probably because Nintendo was already planning to "upgrade" a lot of them for the Wii.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Vinnk said:
What about Veiwtiful Joe 2 on GC? Was that a hit?
IIRC VJ2 did poorly when compared to the first game. The loss of exclusivity made the Nintendo fanboys ignore it. Yes it was more of the same but it was still fun.

donny2112

sphinx said:
I would like to know what kind of numbers are we talking about when you say " sold very well " .

donny2112 said:

1 of them sold ~90K in its launch month and reached ~500K LTD.
1 of them sold ~25K in less than a week and then ~125K in its second month reaching ~500K LTD.
1 of them sold > 150K in its launch month and reached over 600K LTD.

Only one had a really good launch month, but Nintendo games usually had long legs on the GameCube in the U.S. Geist and Killer 7 were bombs, for sure, but there wasn't a constant stream of bombs lasting the entire year by any stretch. None of those did as good as Strikers did at launch, but Strikers also launched in December. ;)

lordmrw said:
Resident Evil 4, but then again there were very few GC exclusives released in 2005.

The PS2 version launched in October 2005, so I don't really consider it a 2005 exclusive.

dfyb

Banned
Fuzzy said:
IIRC VJ2 did poorly when compared to the first game. The loss of exclusivity made the Nintendo fanboys ignore it. Yes it was more of the same but it was still fun.
they cut out co-op and i said fuck it.

sphinx

the piano man
donny2112 said:
1 of them sold ~90K in its launch month and reached ~500K LTD.
1 of them sold ~25K in less than a week and then ~125K in its second month reaching ~500K LTD.
1 of them sold > 150K in its launch month and reached over 600K LTD.

Only one had a really good launch month, but Nintendo games usually had long legs on the GameCube in the U.S. Geist and Killer 7 were bombs, for sure, but there wasn't a constant stream of bombs lasting the entire year by any stretch. None of those did as good as Strikers did at launch, but Strikers also launched in December. ;)

Thanks for the numbers. It was actually nice to learn it wasn't half bad, at least for 1st party games.

Fuzzy said:

couldn't it be that by putting the game in 2 platforms, the fanbase was simply divided and that both versions ( GCN & PS2 ) sold less as a result?

It's not like " nintendo fanboys " make or break a game.

D.Lo

Fuzzy said:
I wouldn't say it was just that. A problem I had with VJ2 was that the PS2 was clearly the lead SKU, and the GCN version suffered as a result. VJ1 looked much better on GCN then on PS2 (colours, resolution, slowdown, tearing - although I bought it for Dante anyway), but VJ2 was pretty much identical on both, as the GCN one was gimped down to PS2 level (although it did look slightly better and have better load times as you'd expect). I didn't finish it because it was more of the same, but just didn't 'pop' visually as much as the first.

This was also why Nintendo fans wanted Okami on GCN back then, as it was based on the VJ engine, and VJ looked so much better on GCN. And to this day I am certain a GCN version would have sold more, and a GCN exclusive would have sold better then any other combination, because interesting games like that generally did well on the GCN in the US. Especially a game that could be advertised as 'Zelda-like.'

But this is 'Nintendo fanboy crying from 2005' (TM), I'll leave the rest of it back there where it belongs.

Pureauthor said:
My bad, I suppose 'port' would have been the better term.
Erm, what game are you talking about? Fire Emblem?

sphinx said:
couldn't it be that by putting the game in 2 platforms, the fanbase was simply divided and that both versions ( GCN & PS2 ) sold less as a result?

It's not like " nintendo fanboys " make or break a game.

Or people who bought the first Viewtiful Joe didn't think the game was good enough, or needed a sequel as soon as that. I think Capcom milked that franchise to death surprisingly quickly.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
D.Lo said:
and have better load times as you'd expect).
I'd not expect that at all, if PS2 was really the lead SKU.
And regardless of what platform leads, it's embarassing enough for a developer that load times are worse on machine with faster drive.

cvxfreak

ethelred said:
And yet not quality-wise. Too bad! :(

Agreed. After all, games incomplete in terms of content or gimped in terms of graphics and sound don't match up to a series like Fire Emblem.

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, on the other hand, is superior to all Fire Emblem titles in every single way.

cvxfreak said:
Agreed. After all, games incomplete in terms of content or gimped in terms of graphics and sound don't match up to a series like Fire Emblem.

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, on the other hand, is superior to all Fire Emblem titles in every single way.

Fire Emblem: Dragons

Resident Evil: No Dragons

FE wins, frawress victoly, etc, etc

Vinnk

sp0rsk said:
I went around a few stores today and I saw that Wii fit was sold out everywhere.

I didn't do my report for this week yet, but the two stores I went to yesterday were sold out.

sp0rsk said:
I went around a few stores today and I saw that Wii fit was sold out everywhere.
If that would be the case all over Japan and if the bump for hardware is considerable, I'm (not really) looking forward to a 30+ pages mc thread.

sphinx

the piano man
sp0rsk said:

death.jpg

Vinnk

On my way home from work (I just got home), I stopped at Best Denki and Wanpaku looking for WiiFit. They told me they have been sold out since saturday.

So that makes 4 stores sold out. The other 2 are Yamada Denki and Famicom Dojo that I went to yesterday. Yamada, Best and Wanpaku are the biggest game stores in my town so I don't think it would be unfair to predict that it's totally sold out in my city.

pswii60

Vinnk said:
On my way home from work (I just got home), I stopped at Best Denki and Wanpaku looking for WiiFit. They told me they have been sold out since saturday.

So that makes 4 stores sold out. The other 2 are Yamada Denki and Famicom Dojo that I went to yesterday. Yamada, Best and Wanpaku are the biggest game stores in my town so I don't think it would be unfair to predict that it's totally sold out in my city.

So, do we know how many Nintendo shipped? Seems pretty much shipped = sold in this case.

Sharp

Xeke said:
Well used copies of WiiFit should pretty much be a non factor in its sales.
Yeah, I can't really imagine any used copies floating around for a long time. It's nothing but replay value.

Lobster

Banned
KGKK said:
How different is WiiFit from DDR?

Uh well WiiFit is based on using a balance board for many games, DDR is based on using a step board on a music game.

So 100% different. You can't even replicate a DDR game on WiiFit and you can't replicate WiiFits games on DDR.

DDR relies on 4 sets of directions, WiiFit relies on balance and the Wiimote.

Olaeh

Sharp said:
Xeke said:
Well used copies of WiiFit should pretty much be a non factor in its sales.
Yeah, I can't really imagine any used copies floating around for a long time. It's nothing but replay value.

Yeah, and I doubt many would want a used balance board since you use it bare-foot or with socks.

Sharp

Arde5643 said:
How different is Rockband from Guitar Hero?
I think DDR is more like Rock Band than it is like Wii Fit, to be honest.
KGKK said:
I actually do not know, never played or have been interested in either.
Oh, that is something that definitely needs to change. Probably.

Lobster

Banned
Sharp said:
I think DDR is more like Rock Band than it is like Wii Fit, to be honest.

I think Rockband to Guitar Hero is a bad comparison..

Its more.

Mario Galaxy to Gears of War

pswii60 said:
Is that it? Nintendo could easily have sold at least 1m in the first week. The Wii Sports crowd will be lapping this up instantly.

It was retail preorders.

Olaeh

Retailers must be itching for a second shipment. I'll bet Wii fit has monster legs with an LTD much, much greater than first week's sales. If it is a sellout, how long do you think it will take for a 2nd shipment?

Top Bottom