• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

Lobster

Banned
Olaeh said:
Retailers must be itching for a second shipment. I'll bet Wii fit has monster legs with an LTD much, much greater than first week's sales.

I reckon it will do better than Wii Sports. Better then I predicted.

Olaeh

Lobster said:
I reckon it will do better than Wii Sports. Better then I predicted.

Yeah, after seeing those lines, then reports of it being sold out, then the 100% price increase on Amazon, I'm starting to think I underestimated it as well. I had it at 1.1million, but I'm not so sure what to think now...

Wii also had a price bump on amazon, official price is 24,999yen but many are selling it at 29,000yen or more...

who said Wii Fit didn't move hardware ? ;)

Innotech

Banned
Im still not calling this Japans momentum savior for the Wii, but its trending thjat way.
However I am growing a bit concerned that perhaps I should preorder this NOW in the Us to ensure I even get a copy.

donny2112

HK-47 said:
Radiance?

Seeing as how ethelred is a huge platforming fan (and a fan of the bongos), he's obviously talking about Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat. Nintendo Tokyo, FTW!
Intelligent Systems rules!

cvxfreak said:
Resident Evil 4 is better than any Fire Emblem, sales-wise and review-wise.

Fire Emblems that outsold Resident Evil 4 on the GameCube in Japan since 1996.

SFC Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu 429,763 (19961229)
GBA Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi 345,574 (20021229)
GBA Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken 265,286 (20031228)
GBA Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones 233,280 (20041226)

I hope they eventually port and translate all of the Japan-only titles to English.

Pureauthor said:
Fire Emblem: Dragons

Resident Evil: No Dragons

FE wins, frawress victoly, etc, etc

:lol

Vinnk said:
On my way home from work (I just got home), I stopped at Best Denki and Wanpaku looking for WiiFit. They told me they have been sold out since saturday.
Nov. 8:
donny2112 said:
I expect Wii Fit to sell over 400K its first week (2 days). 500K is not out of the question. This is assuming that Nintendo can make and ship that many, though. There will be lines for its Saturday release. :D
Nov. 26:
donny2112 said:
justjohn said:
according to sinobi, wii fit preorders are in the 150,000 to 300000 range.
If so, it's going to be completely sold out in the first week of sales. Nintendo better have a big second shipment ready for the following week.

;)

cvxfreak

donny2112 said:
Fire Emblems that outsold Resident Evil 4 on the GameCube in Japan since 1996.

SFC Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu 429,763 (19961229)
GBA Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi 345,574 (20021229)
GBA Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken 265,286 (20031228)
GBA Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones 233,280 (20041226)

Why consider GameCube when you can consider PS2? Either a GameCube-GameCube comparison is most valid (in which case Bio 4 GC > FEPoR) we can count PS2 since you're counting SFC and GBA games. :)

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
The tide has already turned!

I get a picture in my head of the Moon orbiting Earth and the Japanese sales levels changing in response. :lol

cvxfreak said:
Why consider GameCube when you can consider PS2? Either a GameCube-GameCube comparison is most valid (in which case Bio 4 GC > FEPoR) we can count PS2 since you're counting SFC and GBA games. :)

You did say any Fire Emblem, but didn't specify a particular Resident Evil 4. Um, yeah!
:p

donny2112

In discussing the PS3's rise in sales since early November, it seems we've focused on the new color, lower price, and Musou 5 being released. What about the rumble controller, though? How much of an impact has the new rumble controller had on sales of the PS3?

donny2112 said:
In discussing the PS3's rise in sales since early November, it seems we've focused on the new color, lower price, and Musou 5 being released. What about the rumble controller, though? How much of an impact has the new rumble controller had on sales of the PS3?
Are you suggesting that it... shook things up?

jesusraz

I'm very interested in seeing just how well Dragon Quest IV holds up in its second week. It had such a huge start, but DS RPGs seem to have better chart longevity than ones on PS2, and given how Vinnk said it looks like the plentiful supply has started to be mopped up by gamers, hopefully it can keep its head above 100,000 for week two (heck, if Mario Party DS has managed to do that since launch, you'd hope DQIV can, even given the different audiences!).

By the way, anyone noticed how WarioWare: Smooth Moves has been creeping slowly back up in the past four or so weeks?

Vinnk said:
I would love for that to be true, it would be a perfect fit for Wii controls and widescreen would be very nice, but I won't hold my breath. Okami was a critically acclaimed game that was overlooked by many people. Killer 7 was hated by as many critics (and gamers) as it was liked. Okami is considered by many to be an "overlooked masterpiece" Killer 7 is a weird game with a cult following. I'd buy it day one, but I don't really see it happening.

Wishful thinking on my part, definitely :)

Zeni said:
I actually laughed out loud.

Definitely. Some puns are just so bad that all you CAN do is chuckle...Certainly not something to be removed from threads ;)

tanod

when is my burrito
HK-47 said:
Do we have shipment numbers for it?

IIRC, retail preorders were somewhere between 150k and 300k.

I'm guessing Wii Fit is going to be supply constrained for the foreseeable future.

I also don't think there is going to be a significant bump in Wii hardware sales outside of the general upward trend every machine's sales showed last week.

dyls

So if Wii Fit sells a ton, and moves a lot of systems, and SMG's sales go up as a result of a larger userbase... could Wii Fit actually save gaming? :0

Xeke

Banned
dyls said:
So if Wii Fit sells a ton, and moves a lot of systems, and SMG's sales go up as a result of a larger userbase... could Wii Fit actually save gaming? :0

It could really get gaming into shape.

donny2112

Lightning said:
When do Japan start buying for the holidays?

I think just New Year's is the only major holiday celebrated throughout Japan. I could be wrong, though. Obviously, Christians will celebrate Jesus' birth on December 25th, but it isn't a national holiday like in the U.S.

As for when sales start going up, it looks like the week this thread covers was the beginning for this year. All systems should stay high/increasing from here until close to New Year's.

tanod said:
I also don't think there is going to be a significant bump in Wii hardware sales outside of the general upward trend every machine's sales showed last week.

In 2005, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing both released in the runup to New Year's. The only way you knew they released is that there was an arrow pointing to the week saying it was released. Otherwise, it looked like just a very steep climb up for the weekly sales. In that sense, you may not see a bump and drop for Wii Fit's release, but there's no doubt that Wii Fit sold more systems this week than would otherwise have been sold.

Brak

donny2112 said:
I think just New Year's is the only major holiday celebrated throughout Japan. I could be wrong, though. Obviously, Christians will celebrate Jesus' birth on December 25th, but it isn't a national holiday like in the U.S.
My understanding of Christmas in Japan, from friends who have lived there, is that the 25th is like a Valentine's Day type of thing. Girls expect their signifcant others to take them out for supper and buy them a present and things like that.

tanod said:
First day numbers for Wii fit yet?

No numbers because it came out Saturday, but it seems it is sold out almost everywhere. So, if the shipment was really only 300k, we should expect something around this number. In constrast, I don't expect a big increase in Wii's sales.

Smiles and Cries said:
you would think Nintendo would have a Press Release out about Wii Fit sales and Japan

No. They would have already done it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
donny2112 said:

Well there is also Golden Week...but I believe thats several holidays bunched close together

Vinnk

donny2112 said:
Sorry. I meant the only major holiday celebrated across Japan around this time of year.

Well, Christmas is celebrated too. Kids still get presents from "Santa" and those could very well be DS or Wii games. But the Christmas gifts are only for children in Elementary school and younger.

On New Years Day, the kids relatives give them small envelopes of money. A kid typically gets between $150-$500 depending on the size and wealth of their family. The will then take that money of the stores and spend it buying the gifts they want for themselves. So the gamestores are packed with kids 20 and younger with their envelopes of money.

In other words, I expect high sales of kids games leading up to Christmas day and high sales for everything right after New Years.

I know this is old news for many of you, but there still seemed to be some confusion.

Top Bottom