• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hey Josh- do you have that hardware chart of PS2 hardware during this time period? Interested to see where PS3 and Wii are now tracking.

creamsugar said:
Famitsu

DSL 126000
PSP 78000
PS2 15000
PS3 41000
Wii 71000
360 5200

1-10
1.Layton2 308000
2.Wii Fit 254000
3.SD Gundam ggene spirits (PS2) 231000
4.DQ4 132000(734000)
5.BASARA2 Heroes PS2 94000
6.WE2008PS2 89000(395000)
7.Mario Party DS 57000(521000)
8.Mario & Sonic 42000(109000)
9.Yugioh wcs2008 (DS) 39000
10.SMG 36000(452000)

WOW at Mario & Sonic Second Week. WOW at Galaxy FINALLY stabilised. And Wii sales up contrary to my expectactions.

I said it: Wii Fit could have driven not only Wii's sales, but also Software's sales for the machine and I was right !

boiled goose

good with gravy
Great layton sales!

Great wiifit sales! (i was a big skeptical because of the peripheral/higher price)

Great galaxy sales! (wii fit saves console gaming in japan???)

Great Mario and sonic legs, good REUC legs

Good ps3 and psp hardware

Good wii hardware sales bump

as for no more heroes... i have no idea how the game wii do... there is an audience for mature action titles on the wii (shown by re4 and uc) but both of these are franchises from capcom... it depends on the marketing i guess.... if it does 30k ill consider it good...

creamsugar said:
Others
12.WE2008 PS3 31000(176000)
14.Wii Sports 27000(2162000)
15.Wii Play 26000(1707000)
18.Musou5 PS3 15000(295000)
19.がんばる私の家計ダイアリー (DS) 14000(310000)
21.REUC 13000(147000)22.Mario Kart DS 13000(2566000)
24.Layton1 12000(696000)26.Pokemon dungeon  12000(1076000)
27.MHP2 11000(1387000)

New Games
11.Assassins Creed 34000
16.Natuto2 Wii 20000
17.Disgaea PSP 17000
25.Precure5 DS 12000
外.BASARA2 Heroes Wii 8600
外.Izuna2 6500
外.Super Swing Golf Season 2 6500
外.GUILTY GEAR 2 -OVERTURE- 5300
外.Another Century's Episode 2 Special Vocal Version 4900
外.Kabutore Next 3400
外.Tony Hawk's Project 8 PS3 1800
外.Tony Hawk's Project 8 360 1100

Layton 1 is up. RE:UC stabilised (thanks Schuelma). Definitely Wii Fit is THE turning point for the Wii. I know that it is considered like a bad thing, but if it can drive Mario Galaxy's sales too, I'm more then happy.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Wow, Mario & Sonic may be showing early signs of legs. Super Mario Galaxy is definitely showing signs of legs. Wii Fit did far better than I expected (one day of sales!). DQIV seems to be going to the same school of hard knocks as other hotly demanded SE titles on the DS.

Last but not least, congrats to Level 5 on Layton. Excellent opening numbers.

Yeah, I was totally wrong when I said that the wind was changing. Simply the japanese market needed Wii Fit.

schuelma

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Layton 1 is up. RE:UC is up. Definitely Wii Fit is THE turning point for the Wii. I know that it is considered like a bad thing, but if it can drive Mario galaxy's sales too, I'm more then happy.

RE:UC Is actually down from last week..though I'm betting part of that is supply issues.

To add fuel to the Mario and Sonic fire, I just checked the forbidden Amazon rankings and M&S is actually going up and staying there after such a dismal start.

It could be that it's the next Carnival Games/Mario Party 8.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I would be blown away if wii fit saves console gaming in japan....

That would be way too much... everyone in gaming forums all over the would have been completely wrong....

is it possible that this will be the case....

that would be way too much ownage from miyamoto, nintendo to everyone else.....

maybe im getting ahead of myself....

schuelma

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah, I was totally wrong when I said that the wind was changing. Simply the japanese market needed Wii Fit.

Oh and while I said you were being too quick to panic about the Wii in Japan, I'll also say IMO you're too quick to pronounce Wii saved. Let's see how next week fares when some big "traditional" games release for Wii.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
amtentori said:

That would be way too much... everyone in gaming forums all over the would have been completely wrong....

You know, Miyamoto saved console gaming once... and he will do it again!!

Grampasso

bigfurb said:
I think it'd be silly not to expect it. Big titles move systems, and they don't get much bigger than GT5P
Ok, but I asked if we could expect a bump with staying power (like the one for the 40GB version, it seems) from GT5P. What determined DS success has been the consecutive bumps with staying power received thanks to software releases (i.e. Brain Training). I think it's not a good sign if PS3 software bumps cool down outside the launch window, but I may be wrong.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
As expected Wii Fit revitalizes Wii, Wii Sports and Wii Play but barely managed to prevent Galaxy's fall. But hey! 3 weeks more like this and Galaxy will sell its first shipment! :lol

Naruto died. Takara Tomy better rename it Sasuke or something, can't wait to see Accel 2 for further confirmation.

This week releases:
NDS Gintama: Gin-Oh Quest
NDS Power Pro Kun Pocket 10
NDS Tales of Innocence
PS2 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
PS3 Uncharted: El Dorado no Hihou
PSP Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
PSP Minna no Golf Portable 2
PSP Silent Hill Zero
WII Minna de Asobou de! Namco Carnival
WII No More Heroes
WII Tamagotchi no Furifuri Kagekidan
360 Atsumare! Viva Pinata - Let's Party
360 Lost Odyssey
360 Momotarou Dentetsu 16 Gold
360 Virtua Fighter 5 Live Arena

I don't want to be here when first day numbers come, too much to translate :lol

Next week Minna no Golf 2 will be big.

Mrbob

Layton is the real surprise.

Layton 2 with a huge first week. Layton 1 getting a sales bump. Level 5 roxing again. When does Layton 1 come to the USA?

donny2112

Defuser said:
software fights between DS,PSP and Wii.

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
amtentori said:

Saving is a relative term. Can it keep it selling well? Maybe it can.
But on it's launch Wii didn't outsell PSP, which had zero software in the top 30, and was considerably behind DS as always.
I think the handheld beasts are at a level consoles will never reach again.. at least not for a long time.

Jokeropia

the thoroughbred said:
I really do hope SMG has BT2/MKDS style legs, but I am not going to have any expectations. Once bitten twice shy. Twilight Princess.... looking at you.
TP Wii at least quadrupled it's first week sales. Galaxy doing it would mean +1 million.
the thoroughbred said:
I went into my local GAME today, and couldn't see any Phantom Hourglass. Its not on the chart or on the shelf. Could it be doing so well it sold out and NoE hasn't really got itself organised. I doubt it, they prolly couldn't even sell one copy, so they sent them all back or to other stores.
Phantom Hourglass positions on the UK chart:

Week 42: #02
Week 43: #05
Week 44: #08
Week 45: #20
Week 46: #34

Outside of top 40 in week 47 and 48.

Kyoufu

PS3 hardware sales will jump back up with GT5:Bumpalogue and a tiny Uncharted: Drake's Bump.

PSP software will also see a bump when MNG2 asplodes on to the charts. Its going up against alot of good games though!

As for Wii, I predict No More Heroes will bomb.

schuelma

Jokeropia said:
TP Wii at least quadrupled it's first week sales. Galaxy doing it would mean +1 million.

Big big difference there. TP was a launch title.

Acosta

amtentori said:

Maybe.

Japan is going portable centric, that is a given. Wii Fit is not going to change that and I really doubt at this point there is going to be another PS2 this gen. Consoles will be there but I think their role will be eclipsed more and more by portable gaming (check most of the success of this generation: New Super Mario Bros, Nintendogs, Brain Training, Crisis Core, Monster Hunter... they have huge number or even record numbers without representing the same amount of investment and work that take games like Galaxy or Twilight Princess).

Look at Layton numbers. They are impressive. I believe this is a trend that started with mobile gaming and that won´t stop.

Vinnk said:
If it sells 50k or more the first week, I'd be shocked.

Don't get me wrong, I have had this game pre-ordered for months and can't wait to play it. But it's not going to set the world on fire. I'd be impressed if it did 100k lifetime.
Pretty much my line of thought. I hope it does decently in the west (I'll give my support with +1 sale).

tanod said:
If a western action game breaks 50k in its first couple weeks, I would consider it a success in Japan. I think Heavenly Sword and R&C came close to 40k after their first couple weeks.
Huh? Where do you have these numbers from? I don't think either is close to 40k.

Kyoufu said:
PS3 hardware sales will jump back up with GT5:Bumpalogue and a tiny Uncharted: Drake's Bump.

PSP software will also see a bump when MNG2 asplodes on to the charts. Its going up against alot of good games though!

As for Wii, I predict No More Heroes will bomb.

Agreed. I really don't see how NMH shoudl succeed where Killer 7 bombed. And Wii is not as hardcore as the Gamecube, so it could bomb even worse.
I agree for PS3 and I expect Minna no Golf 2 to score at least 200-300k in its first week.

Acosta said:
Look at Layton numbers. They are impressive. I believe this is a trend that started with mobile gaming and that won´t stop.

The queston is whether it'll settle on handphones or dedicated portable gaming devices. :p

schuelma

Acosta said:
Maybe.

Japan is going portable centric, that is a given. Wii Fit is not going to change that and I really doubt at this point there is going to be another PS2 this gen. Consoles will be there but I think their role will be eclipsed more and more by portable gaming (check most of the success of this generation: New Super Mario Bros, Nintendogs, Brain Training, Crisis Core, Monster Hunter).

I think people might be getting a bit carried away here, at least with respect to PSP. Yes, hardware numbers since the re-design have been very good, but to publishers, what does it matter if not much software is sold with it? I mean, looking at PSP and Wii's software chart..Wii still seems like a much healthier environment to me, especially given that its the 1st year for the system.

schuelma said:
I think people might be getting a bit carried away here, at least with respect to PSP. Yes, hardware numbers since the re-design have been very good, but to publishers, what does it matter if not much software is sold with it? I mean, looking at PSP and Wii's software chart..Wii still seems like a much healthier environment to me, especially given that its the 1st year for the system.

The PSP's first year wasn't all that bad in terms of software sales, you know...

Just sayin'.

Acosta

schuelma said:

PSP has some really successful games too and that without having the attention Nintendo gives to DS.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Layton 1 is up. RE:UC stabilised (thanks Schuelma). Definitely Wii Fit is THE turning point for the Wii. I know that it is considered like a bad thing, but if it can drive Mario Galaxy's sales too, I'm more then happy.

Once again you are jumping the gun...Game sales could also be up due to the holiday season getting underway

schuelma

Pureauthor said:
The PSP's first year wasn't all that bad in terms of software sales, you know...

Just sayin'.

Really? Interesting.

tanod

when is my burrito
Phife Dawg said:
Huh? Where do you have these numbers from? I don't think either is close to 40k.

Unless my memory is way off, Famitsu has both of them in the 3X,000 range.

Acosta

Pureauthor said:
The queston is whether it'll settle on handphones or dedicated portable gaming devices. :p

The magical word is convergence.

It will be interesting when Sony tries that (that I am sure they will at some point).

schuelma said:
Really? Interesting.

No million sellers early on like Wii Sports or Wii Play, but a fair number of PSP titles carved out some respectable numbers for themselves, as I recall.

Of course, now I'm struck with the thought that the figures I saw could very well have been WW sales. I don't have them on hand to check.

Jokeropia

Sage00 said:
I think the handheld beasts are at a level consoles will never reach again.. at least not for a long time.
Wii is still ahead of PSP YTD, and I don't think PSP Slim can boost the system forever anymore than Wii Sports could boost Wii forever, so you can't really make any conclusions yet other than that Wii is no DS. (Nothing else is.) Judging by the discrepancy last week, it's also possible that MC will have Wii > PSP.
schuelma said:
Big big difference there. TP was a launch title.
Being a launch title will help your legs yes, but that still doesn't make TP's legs disappointing IMO. I also do actually think SMG has a good shot at +1 million.
Acosta said:
Consoles will be there but I think their role will be eclipsed more and more by portable gaming (check most of the success of this generation: New Super Mario Bros, Nintendogs, Brain Training, Crisis Core, Monster Hunter).
Wii Sports and Wii Play have outsold both Monster Hunters and Crisis Core. Mario Party 8 has outsold Crisis Core.

schuelma

Acosta said:
PSP has some really successful games too and that without having the attention Nintendo gives to DS.

I'm not saying PSP hasn't had some successful games, but much like detractors pointed out all summer that Wii hardware was high without any software selling besides Wii Sports, I think its a fair point to question PSP's new hardware success given the software numbers.

Acosta

Jokeropia said:
Wii Sports and Wii Play have outsold both Monster Hunters and Crisis Core. Mario Party 8 has outsold Crisis Core.

Try that again, but now with DS.

I'm not saying PSP hasn't had some successful games, but much like detractors pointed out all summer that Wii hardware was high without any software selling besides Wii Sports, I think its a fair point to question PSP's new hardware success given the software numbers.

My point is not about PSP, but portable Vs home gaming. PSP has been publically ignored by SCEJ for months, more focused, externally at least, on PS3, and the original model had some problems that has been in part corrected with Lite. I think now it´s a different story.

Jokeropia said:

Much to the detriment of gaming, I'm sure, but this doesn't refute his point that those were strong selling games. Also you're comparing the second place in the handheld race to first place in the console race, though I'm certain that's not entirely significant.

Jokeropia

Acosta said:
Try that again, but now with DS.
DS is obviously on it's own level, but it's disingenuous IMO to include PSP on that level by calling it "handhelds" in general.
Pureauthor said:
Also you're comparing the second place in the handheld race to first place in the console race
Wii has only been out a year compared to three for PSP, though.

ethelred

Jokeropia said:
DS is obviously on it's own level, but it's disingenuous IMO to include PSP on that level by calling it "handhelds" in general.

But it is a case of handhelds in general. The DS plus the PSP have expanded the handheld market far, far beyond anything like it was before, and both of the two systems have brought in new gamers that wouldn't and didn't previously play handheld games. Both are contributing to its growth, both have a very strong role to play in its continued future expansion, both offer unique experiences and software that the other can't, and both are contributing to the dominance of portables over consoles.

But you can't countenance someone saying a single positive word about the PSP, can you?

donny2112

schuelma said:
Really? Interesting.

Depends on your definition of "really."

PSP through 2005: 4.3 million software
WII through 11-18-2007: at least 9.3 million software

Ignoring the two top-selling games for each:

PSP through 2005: 3.5 million software
WII through 11-18-2007: at least 5.5 million software

schuelma said:
Hey Josh- do you have that hardware chart of PS2 hardware during this time period? Interested to see where PS3 and Wii are now tracking.
Here's the "weeks since launch" comparison, now pushed to two years. All Famitsu for consistency:
Weekly
Cumulative

For a time-of-year comparison here's 2001 and 2007, though this does make PS2 the more mature system by about half a year.
Weekly
Cumulative

Grampasso said:
Ok, but I asked if we could expect a bump with staying power (like the one for the 40GB version, it seems) from GT5P. What determined DS success has been the consecutive bumps with staying power received thanks to software releases (i.e. Brain Training). I think it's not a good sign if PS3 software bumps cool down outside the launch window, but I may be wrong.
Now being into December, any bump has the extra opportunity to be multiplied or longer-lasting as things pick up around New Year's.
Pureauthor said:
It was compared to PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, and Wii. It does beat PS3, though.

PSP through one year
PS3 through one year

Acosta

Jokeropia said:
Wii has only been out a year compared to three for PSP, though.

PSP it´s a handheld, DS is too. And I didn´t speak of handhelds, I´m speaking of portable gaming, which includes mobile.

I was talking in general, portable gaming is getting more important in detriment to home gaming. That is my point, if you want to debunk it try to do it in general and not focusing on PSP alone.

I think we are attributing too little weight to the PSP selling by the merits of its other features.

We can't point to the PSP as 2/3 (or whatever measure) of the DS because outside of high profile titles it rarely pushes (legitimate) software. PSP is a media device: GPS, TV, MP3. Internet (?) are just as much selling points if not moreso than games. Ditto the US.

Defuser said:
Gets drowned and forgotton along with PS3 due to software fights between DS,PSP and Wii.

Well, I guess could believe that... I'm still a bit curious about whether or not it does better in his first week than Blue Dragon's 82k (with +40k first day IIRC, not including bundles)...but I guess we will see soon enough.

donny2112

Pureauthor said:
Hm. Perhaps it was a set of WW figures, then. (Or am I wrong again? I distinctly recall the PSP performing well in software at the beginning...)

In the U.S. and in Japan, it started off (6 months) very well compared to the DS. (From the Top 30s by the beginning of May 2005, Japan was 2.6 DS to 1.5 PSP.) It just didn't have much staying power in software sales after that. (From May 2005 to end of 2005 in the Top 30s, it was 6.6 DS to 1.1 PSP.)

As we keep discussing PSP software and piracy so much, it is worth considering that the average PSP owner could have as many or more games to play on their PSP as the average DS owner. It's just that those games wouldn't show up in software charts. From a philosophical standpoint, the PSP could really be opening up portable gaming to the console-only PS2 crowd and thus expanding portable gaming's influence. It just wouldn't help the publisher's bottom line. :(

D.Lo

ethelred said:
But it is a case of handhelds in general. The DS plus the PSP have expanded the handheld market far, far beyond anything like it was before, and both of the two systems have brought in new gamers that wouldn't and didn't previously play handheld games. Both are contributing to its growth, both have a very strong role to play in its continued future expansion, both offer unique experiences and software that the other can't, and both are contributing to the dominance of portables over consoles.

But you can't countenance someone saying a single positive word about the PSP, can you?
Oh come on. The DS has sold 80 million games and the PSP 15 million games in Japan. On software sales, the DS is 84% of the market, not even counting millions of GBA game sales since the launch of DS/PSP.

GCN plus PS2 did all you stated above for 'console gaming' last generation worldwide, selling more between them then any other two consoles of the same generation combined ever (well, except PS2+Xbox).

It's easy to overstate the success and importance of anything by lumping it in with something more successful and claiming that 'between them they did great'.

Top Bottom