• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11/24 - 11/30

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NintendosBooger said:
Well, a bloodhound like me can't help but to serve crow every once in a while and to illustrate the severe lack of foresight of other GAF members...

Is there a strong and consistent psp presence in the top 10 by fall? Looking back through the fall weeks:

this week: 5, 6, 8, 9, 10
last week: 3
week before: ...
before that: 7
before that: ...
before that: 6, 9
before that: 3, 8
before that: 1
before that: 7, 8

So, isn't your crow serving a little premature? I mean, it goes without saying that in a week where 20 "major" (ie not irrelevant) games are launched, most of those games are going to be on the top 30 chart... and that's exactly what you're seeing here. This week, 4 PSP titles launched that made the top 10 and Gundam vs. Gundam held pretty strong.

Now, that's not to say that the PSP won't establish a strong and consistent presence in the top 10, but there's hardly a building wave that would merit the crow service, this just happens to be a week that's particularly loaded with medium-to-high profile PSP titles.

And I guess you could argue that to have 5 PSP titles launch in a week that are important, there must be a growing wave of software development for the PSP. Maybe. If that's the case then this should be consistent rather than an exception.

dyls said:
What's the total LTD for the series in Japan? It has to be one of the most successful new IPs of the last few years over all systems.
The first two Layton games were at about 1.7 million combined as of mid-2008, so the first week of the third pushes it over 2 million.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
YOY SHOCKER
Code:
[B][U]Wii       2007      2008      DIFFERENCE[/U][/B]
11/10    36,230    26,787       9,443
11/17    54,362    35,298      19,064
11/24    74,764    49,848      24,916
12/01   115,057      ???         OMG?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PantherLotus said:
YOY SHOCKER
Code:
[B][U]Wii       2007      2008      DIFFERENCE[/U][/B]
11/10    36,230    26,787       9,443
11/17    54,362    35,298      19,064
11/24    74,764    49,848      24,916
12/01   115,057      ???         OMG?

Last year Nintendo had Wii Fit which caught on immediately. This year, it appears that Wii Music and AC have failed in that regard. I'm sure sales will continue to go up in December, but it's also clear they are going to fall significantly short of 07.

schuelma said:
Last year Nintendo had Wii Fit which caught on immediately. This year, it appears that Wii Music and AC have failed in that regard. I'm sure sales will continue to go up in December, but it's also clear they are going to fall significantly short of 07.
Animal Crossing has sold more copies through week two than did Wii Fit. However, it didn't bring Wii hardware to its late November 2007 levels--and especially not to its early December 2007 levels which was Wii Fit's launch time.

But then, Wii Fit had Super Mario Galaxy helping things.

domokunrox said:
What an interesting week. I guess PES is pretty big in Japan. Didn't know that.

It still gets very good reviews and sells well even though the last two games have been pretty weak IMO.

If someone in Japan had the balls to blast the series maybe we might atually see Sebass and Konami do something different with the game.

AnimeTheme said:
I say moneyhat is that "force".

I don't really like this trend where people just throw out "moneyhat" to explain every single software development factoid regarding the X360. In the past, people used a variety of evidence (prominent placement amongst the "third party exclusives" pushed by a hardware manufacturer at trade events, co-branded advertising, etc.) to judge "moneyhatted" titles, but because Microsoft's in the picture it's the first thing people say.

After a certain point, I think you have to stop assuming that Microsoft has this enormous stockpile of hat money that they've been throwing liberally at every single game that even flirts in the direction of 360 exclusivity and start assuming that the Japanese 360 exclusive phenomenon is a subset of the greater HD exclusive phenomenon -- i.e. companies seizing on minor structural incentives as a rationale for developing on poorly performing hardware.

NintendosBooger said:
So what say you, now, ole chaps?

That I gave up looking for "crow" after scanning about 200 pages worth of "hey, way to go, PSP software!"?

charlequin said:
I don't really like this trend where people just throw out "moneyhat" to explain every single software development factoid regarding the X360. In the past, people used a variety of evidence (prominent placement amongst the "third party exclusives" pushed by a hardware manufacturer at trade events, co-branded advertising, etc.) to judge "moneyhatted" titles, but because Microsoft's in the picture it's the first thing people say.

After a certain point, I think you have to stop assuming that Microsoft has this enormous stockpile of hat money that they've been throwing liberally at every single game that even flirts in the direction of 360 exclusivity and start assuming that the Japanese 360 exclusive phenomenon is a subset of the greater HD exclusive phenomenon -- i.e. companies seizing on minor structural incentives as a rationale for developing on poorly performing hardware.

Totally on point.

Stumpokapow said:
Is there a strong and consistent psp presence in the top 10 by fall? Looking back through the fall weeks:

this week: 5, 6, 8, 9, 10
last week: 3
week before: ...
before that: 7
before that: 6, 9
before that: 3, 8
before that: 1
before that: 7, 8
before that: ....

I've never mentioned a specific date in fall. I said BY fall. We're still in the grips of the season.

Link

The Autumn Wind
NintendosBooger said:
I've never mentioned a specific date in fall. I said BY fall. We're still in the grips of the season.
Fall ended two weeks ago.

EDIT - Dammit, I'm getting my months confused again. Carry on.

test_account

XP-39C²
justchris said:
This is certainly true, but Spiegel's contention was that, since the PSP has sold more software overall (and more 3rd party software specifically) this year, that publishers would see it as a better option because of that. However, as a publisher, total software sold is a less useful metric than total software in genre A sold. Which Stumpokapow discussed.
I didnt really read all the discussion that clearly, i just saw a comment that PSP software isnt great, so i just asked what the PSP sales was compared to. It wasnt really a contunie of the current discussion, i just wondered about that one comment. I could have pointed that out, sorry.

But regarding the software sales as you mention, i agree with that, just looking at the total software number sales on a platform isnt necessarily a useful metric to see if a game will sell good or not. How is the situation regarding software for the PSP and the Wii when it comes to genre by the way? Are there any examples where a genre have done it much better on the PSP compared to the Wii or vice versa?

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Note that if a platform didn't have any in the Top 10, the week just doesn't show up rather than showing a 0.

COUNT should be returning "0" even if there are no records. I tried masking it with a ifnull, and that does nothing. Therefore it's not returning a null. Is there some setting that you have at the database level that doesn't display 0 values?

NintendosBooger said:

:lol We're in Winter, now. Fall ended in November. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NintendosBooger said:

okay so let me get this straight your prediction was that some time from september to december the psp would have one week where it had a decent showing in the top 10. that's what you meant by "strong and consistent"? if that's the case, i don't think you really predicted anything worthy of serving year-old crow, and i don't think any of the "nublets u pwnt" would have disagreed with that prediction, so you didn't really serve any crow.

... or is it that you think the psp is going to magically skyrocket starting with this week for no apparent reason? that might be the case, but if it is then you're woefully premature with the callouts and you'll look mighty silly if this is a once-off.

schuelma said:
So I can't get the link because I'm at work so I'm not going to post a new thread, but the latest EGM rumor is that DQ9 is coming to the Wii ala FFCC:EoT

(It's at 1up.com)
EGM and their staff always come up with the most stupid rumours. Still waiting for that PiiS2 :lol .

AnimeTheme said:
I just noticed that WE09 PS3 ended up having a bigger launch week than the 08 version, despite having a slower launch-day start.
No PS2 version this year. Wonder how it'll affect PS2 numbers and overall sales (assuming the Wii version stays flat).

donny2112 said:
:lol We're in Winter, now. Fall ended in November. :p

Not that I disagree with the general thrust of your argument, but not quite.

Stumpokapow said:
and i don't think any of the "nublets u pwnt" would have disagreed with that prediction

That's the thing. I think more or less everyone has been on board the "PSP software can sell well" train ever since MHP2 and Crisis Core, and I haven't seen anything yet that isn't just an extension of that basic principle.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
... or is it that you think the psp is going to magically skyrocket starting with this week for no apparent reason?

DS:pSP sales ratio from Famitsu. Full software sales and not just the Top 30.

WII:pSP sales ratio from Famitsu. Full software sales and not just the Top 30.

Just for curiosity's sake.

Edit:
charlequin said:
Not that I disagree with the general thrust of your argument, but not quite.

Measured by solstice, then. Okay, that means there's 2-3 weeks left. Just a count of games in the Top 10 isn't particularly useful, I'd think regardless, though.

Spiegel

JoshuaJSlone said:
Going farther back with SQL:

Wii games in Famitsu Top 10
PSP

Note that if a platform didn't have any in the Top 10, the week just doesn't show up rather than showing a 0.

Looking at the Top 30:

PSP 2008-01-01/2008-11-10 = 4 (~3.68) games per week in 2008 (2 in 2007)
Wii 2008-01-01/2008-11-10 = 7 (~6.68) games per week in 2008 (5 (~4.76) in 2007)

Fun fact:
Psp "normal" week = Monster Hunter Portable 2G and 2-3 games
Wii "normal" week = Wii Fit/Wii Play/Wii Sports/Mario Kart Wii and 2-3 games

donny2112

Spiegel said:
Fun fact:
Wii "normal" week = Wii Fit/Wii Play/Wii Sports/Mario Kart Wii and 2-3 games

Yeah, it's kind of sad. Wii Play has even dropped off the Top 30 lately. Wii is slowly sinking, and it's almost like they are just trying to get through the rest of the year on the momentum that was mostly started a year ago. Hopefully, I'm not just having pipe dreams thinking that they've been holding stuff back for the Motion+ launch. :lol

AtreyU

Neo Member
NintendosBooger said:

1 week out of 14 is not strong and consistent. Granted there is still 3 weeks left until the equinox but do companies use processions to measure seasons? I though they measured in month end. In that case the season either ends on december 31st or on november 30th.

can anyone clarify?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
famitsu-software-2008-YTD-103.png

famitsu-software-2008-YTD2-103.png

I'm thinking about doing something with these. Not sure what yet. Maybe a regular thing. Ideas/thoughts/suggestions welcome.

*Only includes titles released after 01-01-08*

It seems to me that the argument "continued PSP resurgence could draw software support off from Wii" isn't very well thought-out. I know there's some pretty basic differences in the hardware, but clearly ports from one to the other aren't particularly hard; we've seen several already. As with 360/PS3, this only makes sense. I believe I read somewhere that the cost of such a port is 20-25% of the original investment, so sales numbers don't have to be stellar to make it worthwhile.

But one machine is a console and the other is a handheld, so I see PSP and Wii as boosting each other, not as fighting over the same market. I doubt there'll be any incentives from the platform holders in this direction (Monster Hunter tri Portable seems inevitable, but I can't imagine it will carry over user data from the Wii version), but there won't need to be. Publishers will just do it to make money, provided PSP continues to have decent sales.

donny2112

Famitsu Nov 17-23

1. WII Animal Crossing: City Folk 303204 / NEW
2. NDS Chrono Trigger 276049 / NEW
3. PSP Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam 240594 / NEW
4. 360 Last Remnant 102107 / NEW
5. NDS Saka-Tsuku DS: Touch and Direct 72530 / NEW
6. NDS Kirby Super Star Ultra Deluxe 50906 / 408364
7. NDS Rhythm Tengoku Gold 28626 / 1099525
8. NDS Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode 25181 / 217488
9. NDS Tongari Boushi to Mahou no 365 Nichi (Little Magician's Magic Adventure) 25101 / 76082
10. NDS Mega Man Star Force 3: Black Ace/Red Joker 22926 / 88282
11. PS3 Way of the Samurai 3 21473 / 102868
12. NDS Pokemon Platinum 20192 / 1904871
13. WII Wii Fit 18189 / 2732242
14. PSP Prinny: Can I really be the Hero? (Disgaea) 17535 / NEW
15. NDS Fushigi no Dungeon: Furai no Shiren 2 - Demon Castle of the Desert 15908 / 63337
16. PS2 Koihime Musou: Doki Otome Darake no Sangokushi Engi 15817 / NEW
17. PS3 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Spec III 15523 / 94769
18. 360 Otomedius G (Gorgeous!) 14586 / NEW
19. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) 13638 / 67171
20. PS2 Koisuru Otome to Shugo no Tate: The Shield of AIGIS 12084 / NEW
21. NDS DS Nishimura Kyotarou Suspense Detective Series 2: Kanazawa, Hakodate - Extreme Cold, Shadow of Vengeance 11486 / 36470
22. PSP Ratchet & Clank: Secret Agent Clank 10169 / NEW
23. PS3 Resistance 2 9594 / 44776
24. WII Mario Kart Wii 9451 / 1829487
25. WII Wii Music 9027 / 197910
26. PS2 Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! Forbidden Black Delta 8542 / NEW
27. WII Family Ski & Snowboard 8002 / 21235
28. PS3 Grand Theft Auto IV 7663 / 179447
29. PS3 Mercenaries 2: World in Flames 7174 / NEW
30. NDS Walk to Know: Lifestyle Rhythm DS (Personal Trainer) 7163 / 47422

*. PS3 Motorstorm: Pacific Rift 6500 / NEW
*. WII Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! Forbidden Black Delta 5400 / NEW
*. 360 Mercenaries 2: World in Flames 2700 / NEW
*. PS2 Mercenaries 2: World in Flames 2000 / NEW
*. NDS Tomyka Hero: Rescue Force DS 1700 / NEW
*. NDS Toshio Okada's Don't Think You're Fat Forever: Recording Diet on the DS 890 / NEW

Bar Chart Nov 17-23 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2008-11-17

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Oct 20-26, 2008
Oct 27-Nov 2, 2008
Nov 3-9, 2008
Nov 10-16, 2008

Rolf NB

PantherLotus said:
<charts>

I'm thinking about doing something with these. Not sure what yet. Maybe a regular thing. Ideas/thoughts/suggestions welcome.

*Only includes titles released after 01-01-08*
Are those sums of sales numbers from the weekly charts (and new releases), or complete market figures (beyond top 30) from another source?

donny2112 said:
Yeah, it's kind of sad. Wii Play has even dropped off the Top 30 lately. Wii is slowly sinking, and it's almost like they are just trying to get through the rest of the year on the momentum that was mostly started a year ago. Hopefully, I'm not just having pipe dreams thinking that they've been holding stuff back for the Motion+ launch. :lol

Nintendo is literally the only company in the gaming industry that I just can't give credit to on these sorts of things. They don't like to actually add features or spend development time on improving and expanding their franchises, they don't like to take any high-variance risks with their scheduling (even to the point of what they're doing now, killing themselves softly with a complete lack of software), and they don't (as a rule) pleasantly surprise everyone with unexpectedly interesting and unexpected bounties of new software titles.

donny2112 said:
Measured by solstice, then. Okay, that means there's 2-3 weeks left. Just a count of games in the Top 10 isn't particularly useful, I'd think regardless, though.

Oh I agree. I think everyonee reasonable predicted that the resurgent PSP hardware could lead to somewhat better software sales, but I don't think anything more than that has really happened.

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Nov 17-23

*sales list*

Bar Chart Nov 17-23 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2008-11-17

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Oct 20-26, 2008
Oct 27-Nov 2, 2008
Nov 3-9, 2008
Nov 10-16, 2008

Where the fuck is Rune Factory Frontier?!

Edit: Whoopsie, misread, self ownage.

Edit 2: Have you guys seen just how much Rune Factory Frontier costs?

7,140&#20870;

It's among the most expensive games on the list! I say that it must be bringing in the dough if it's selling decently and if it has some legs.

donny2112

charlequin said:
Nintendo is literally the only company in the gaming industry that I just can't give credit to on these sorts of things. They don't like to actually add features or spend development time on improving and expanding their franchises, they don't like to take any high-variance risks with their scheduling (even to the point of what they're doing now, killing themselves softly with a complete lack of software), and they don't (as a rule) pleasantly surprise everyone with unexpectedly interesting and unexpected bounties of new software titles.

Except at launches. Most of my thinking is based on the idea that Nintendo is going to make Motion+ the new standard with the future Wiimotes, and, in essence, relaunch Wii motion controls. If Motion+ becomes just another add-on, then, yeah, it'll be pretty underwhelming when it's all played out.

There's also the problem of "what's Nintendo been doing since they shifted development to the Wii?" On the one hand, Nintendo has no problem working internally on games, deciding that they're not up to snuff, and canceling them internally without anyone ever really knowing much about it outside Nintendo. That could be what's happening, but that's a lot of wasted man-hours, if that's the case. On the other hand, they could be working on a lot of games that will come out, but they're following their asinine policy of not announcing them until two weeks after release. On the third hand (doesn't everyone have three hands?), they could be prepping for something like a re-launch and need a large push of software to support it.

Like I said, I hope I'm not having pipe dreams. :)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
bcn-ron said:
Are those sums of sales numbers from the weekly charts (and new releases), or complete market figures (beyond top 30) from another source?

They are the combined top 30 charts for all 2008 releases separated by platform, LTD, compiled by garaph. Last day 11/16/08.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Except at launches. Most of my thinking is based on the idea that Nintendo is going to make Motion+ the new standard with the future Wiimotes, and, in essence, relaunch Wii motion controls. If Motion+ becomes just another add-on, then, yeah, it'll be pretty underwhelming when it's all played out.
I am curious on how Nintendo are thinking and what they will do with Motion+. Now there are something like 35 million Wii consoles sold worldwide, right? If so, then there are maybe like 50 million Wiimotes sold as well. When Motion+ comes out for sale (around spring or summer in 2009 if i am not mistaken?), then there might be something like 45-50 million Wii consoles sold worldwide and maybe something like 75 million Wiimotes sold worldwide.

Making Motion+ the new standard (as in that the upcomming games must use the Motion+ controller or else you cant play them) will in theory mean that like 45-50 million people must buy the Motion+ addon or new Wiimote(s) that have the Motion+ built into the controller. I wonder if Nintendo are willing to take this chance, to make Motion+ a standard, or if it will be "just" another add-on as you mentioned.

Maybe Motion+ becomes something like the Wii Balance Board, where some games can use the Motion+ controller as an optional control "scheme" (or what i shall say), while some games will require the Motion+ controller to work, but not all as in a standard? I do think that all Wiimotes that are included with the Wii console after when Motion+ comes out for sale will have the Motion+ technoligy build in atleast.

Minsc

Gold Member
donny2112 said:

There's also the problem of "what's Nintendo been doing since they shifted development to the Wii?" On the one hand, Nintendo has no problem working internally on games, deciding that they're not up to snuff, and canceling them internally without anyone ever really knowing much about it outside Nintendo. That could be what's happening, but that's a lot of wasted man-hours, if that's the case. On the other hand, they could be working on a lot of games that will come out, but they're following their asinine policy of not announcing them until two weeks after release. On the third hand (doesn't everyone have three hands?), they could be prepping for something like a re-launch and need a large push of software to support it.

Like I said, I hope I'm not having pipe dreams. :)

Well, I mentioned it earlier, but how likely is it Nintendo simply doesn't care (much) about slow console sales in Japan while they are maintaining huge, record-breaking sales everywhere else? The increase to 50k this week is nice, huge improvement over last week; but still lacking compared to last year.

test_account said:
Maybe Motion+ becomes something like the Wii Balance Board, where some games can use the Motion+ controller as an optional control "scheme" (or what i shall say), while some games will require the Motion+ controller to work, but not all as in a standard? I do think that all Wiimotes that are included with the Wii console after when Motion+ comes out for sale will have the Motion+ technoligy build in atleast.

I think something like that would be optimistic. It all depends on if it catches on, but I hardly expect anything more than a few select titles, and limited future support due to the point at which it is launching (three holiday seasons past release). In some ways making it for the next system would have made more sense, but who's to say Nintendo will ever have another Wii for a while?

test_account

XP-39C²
Minsc said:
I think something like that would be optimistic. It all depends on if it catches on, but I hardly expect anything more than a few select titles, and limited future support due to the point at which it is launching (three holiday seasons past release). In some ways making it for the next system would have made more sense, but who's to say Nintendo will ever have another Wii for a while?
With optimistic, do you mean to include Wiimotes with the built in Motion+ technoligy with every Wii console? If so, ye, it guess it is hard to say, but i mean i've read something about it a while ago. Or maybe it was just some person who predicted that :)

EDIT: Or is Motion+ atleast bundled with every copy of Wii Sports Resort?

justchris

test_account said:
With optimistic, do you mean to include Wiimotes with the built in Motion+ technoligy with every Wii console? If so, ye, it guess it is hard to say, but i mean i've read something about it a while ago. Or maybe it was just some person who predicted that :)

EDIT: Or is Motion+ atleast bundled with every copy of Wii Sports Resort?

Including Motion+ with new Wiis sold was speculation. It seems likely that, eventually, Motion+ tech will be built into the Wiimote itself, but there has been no confirmation on that.

Every copy of Wii Sports: Resort will come with a Motion+, and it will also be sold separately. That was announced at E3.

test_account

XP-39C²
justchris said:
Including Motion+ with new Wiis sold was speculation. It seems likely that, eventually, Motion+ tech will be built into the Wiimote itself, but there has been no confirmation on that.

Every copy of Wii Sports: Resort will come with a Motion+, and it will also be sold separately. That was announced at E3.
Ah ok, so that is how it was. Thanks for the info! :)

donny2112

test_account said:
Now there are something like 35 million Wii consoles sold worldwide, right? If so, then there are maybe like 50 million Wiimotes sold as well. When Motion+ comes out for sale (around spring or summer in 2009 if i am not mistaken?), then there might be something like 45-50 million Wii consoles sold worldwide and maybe something like 75 million Wiimotes sold worldwide.

Making Motion+ the new standard (as in that the upcomming games must use the Motion+ controller or else you cant play them) will in theory mean that like 45-50 million people must buy the Motion+ addon or new Wiimote(s) that have the Motion+ built into the controller.

I hadn't really thought about this before, but PS1's dualshock. It came out a year or two into the PS1's life and became the standard. The old controller still worked, of course, but the dual shock was the new standard and games began being made with that controller in mind. Also on a totally tangential note, I've often thought of the Wii more in terms of the PS1 (starting the shift, long legged titles, lots of experimental titles) than the PS2 (presupposed king, full backing of the industry from launch on).

Top Bottom