• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/26 - 12/2 2007

swerve

I bought NMH on day one (technically, day -1), and one of my colleagues is going out to buy it tomorrow having seen me playing. Judging by this incredibly far reaching study, NMH is going to sell 20,000 units this week ;) .

AniHawk

Fredescu said:
It's too late for that now.
6opam8x.gif

pswii60

Cosmonaut X said:
Why, exactly?

The first big hardcore game for the Wii (aside from SMG). NMH has been getting a load of hype too, decent review in Famitsu and has wackyjappy stuff in it. And the Wii has an almost 4m userbase now in Japan.

You can also pin these ones to the Hall of Shame :

PS2 - GTA:Vice City Stories -> 8000
PSP - GTA:Vice City Stories -> 8000
PSP - Chronicle of Dungeon Maker 2 -> 2000
Wii - Namco Carnival -> less than 1000

justjohn said:
are people expecting big sales for this game?
It's a Camelot developed and Capcom published golf game for Wii. That makes four good omen for a game to be released in Japan.
And while I think it's safe to say Camelot won't fuck up on their part of the game, it only depends on how Capcom will market We Love Golf. I'm a bit sceptical after the Z&W disappointment and don't have too much faith in Capcoms marketing efforts, but we'll see.

Jokeropia

pswii60 said:
The first big hardcore game for the Wii (aside from SMG).
No More Heroes is not a "big" hardcore game. It's a niche hardcore title like Zack & Wiki and Killer7, both of which it is outperforming. Signficantly bigger hardcore Wii titles apart from SMG include Zelda, DQ:Swords, Fire Emblem, Super Paper Mario, RE4:Wii and RE:UC.

pswii60 said:
The first big hardcore game for the Wii (aside from SMG). NMH has been getting a load of hype too, decent review in Famitsu and has wackyjappy stuff in it. And the Wii has an almost 4m userbase now in Japan.

OK:

1 - Debatable (see above)

2 - It's been getting some exposure in Famitsu, but I've not really heard about much else in terms of advertising or hype.

3 - Killer 7 got a 36/40 in Famitsu.

4 - "Wackyjappy"? Ugh...

5 - And? What kind of userbase did the PS2 have in June 2005 when Killer 7 scraped its way to an 11k opening week?

I know I keep on harping on Killer 7, but I think it's a reasonable comparison. NMH is niche and it was always very unlikely that it was going to pull in great numbers (perhaps it could be argued it was more unlikely on the Wii at the moment, perhaps not).

Lobster

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
I expect nmh will do a lot better in the states. I kind of want Nintendo to advertise it in their two japanese guys commercials. If people think Nintendo made it then it will sell better by default.

Fuck Nintendos so called advertising. Ubisoft will make it outsell fregin Super Mario Galaxy in Europe if they want to, just like Assasins Creed.

I expect great numbers for the sales of NMH in PAL and NA.

pswii60

Jokeropia said:
No More Heroes is not a "big" hardcore game. It's a niche hardcore title like Zack & Wiki and Killer7, both of which it is outperforming. Signficantly bigger hardcore Wii titles apart from SMG include Zelda, DQ:Swords, Fire Emblem, Super Paper Mario, RE4:Wii and RE:UC.

Those games are core games, not hardcore games.

Cosmonaut X said:
OK:

1 - Debatable (see above)

2 - It's been getting some exposure in Famitsu, but I've not really heard about much else in terms of advertising or hype.

3 - Killer 7 got a 36/40 in Famitsu.

4 - "Wackyjappy"? Ugh...

5 - And? What kind of userbase did the PS2 have in June 2005 when Killer 7 scraped its way to an 11k opening week?

I know I keep on harping on Killer 7, but I think it's a reasonable comparison. NMH is niche and it was always very unlikely that it was going to pull in great numbers (perhaps it could be argued it was more unlikely on the Wii at the moment, perhaps not).

"Wackyjappy" came from the other thread. I just assumed it was getting the same level of hype in Japan that it has been in the west, and expected it to be a biggie. Do you think Japan won't then be NMH's primary market? What market do you think the game was aimed for?

Lobster

Banned
BishopLamont said:
You know it's bad when a big PS3 game (Uncharted) gets ignored while a niche Wii game (NMH) gets the splotlight.

GTFO, NMH to some people is bigger than Uncharted will ever be. They both got shunned too..so don't know wtf you talking bout.

Fredescu

pswii60 said:
What market do you think the game was aimed for?
The 'choppy framerate really adds to the experience' market, which is apparently around 10 thousand strong. 10 001 if we include swerves friend.

slaughterking said:
I'm glad ToI seems well received as measured by the shipment. Even though I think that is what you would expect a Tales game to sell at least, even if it would have been a horrible one like Tempest again.
No, you'd expect a Tales game to sell a LOT better, but ToI had some harsh cirumstances, and according to shipments figures, it's not a bad performance, but it could be a lot better. It's selling better than Tempest, but much, much worse than everything else in the main series (and worse than RM which was a spin-off).

swerve

pswii60 said:
Do you think Japan won't then be NMH's primary market? What market do you think the game was aimed for?

It's made BY Suda51 FOR Suda51, and it's beautiful for it. If only more games had this much auterism, and less design-by-committee-and-publishers.

pswii60 said:
"Wackyjappy" came from the other thread. I just assumed it was getting the same level of hype in Japan that it has been in the west, and expected it to be a biggie. Do you think Japan won't then be NMH's primary market? What market do you think the game was aimed for?

Sorry, just hate the term "wackyjappy" - though since it was a mod using it in the other thread, I doubt it will be the last time I read it at GAF...

As for hype, all I’ve got to go on is what I’ve seen here – a website that updates weekly & a couple of pages every few weeks in Famitsu. I think there was one commercial in the past week or so, though whether it was online only or it actually aired I can’t say. That doesn’t look like much to me, but since I don’t really follow Japanese gaming news sites and forums I don’t know if there’s any kind of under-the-radar hype going on.

I do feel that the game is aimed more at a Western audience, though still a fairly niche one IMO, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Suda/Ubisoft/whoever have higher expectations for sales in North America or even Europe than they do in Japen.

kay

BishopLamont said:
You know it's bad when a big PS3 game (Uncharted) gets ignored while a niche Wii game (NMH) gets the splotlight.
Yes, because many foreign games are top of the charts material in Japan. You couldn't be more correct, in the incorrect sort of way.

The game did fine for what it is, amazon.co.jp had at shipping at 3-5 weeks a while ago. No More Heroes selling low just shows how little otaku actually have interest in the violence oriented game, but it still isn't as foreign targeted as some western shooter/adventure. They are both very niche anyway.

Mario & Zelda aren't hardcore AniHawk..

Cosmonaut X said:
and I wouldn’t be surprised if Suda/Ubisoft/whoever have higher expectations for sales in North America or even Europe than they do in Japen.

well, that should be pretty obvious if they didn't think the game was going to bomb everywhere.

apujanata

C.T. said:
Franziska, is that you?

Got the reference, heh ? High five to fellow Gyakuten Saiban fans.

duckroll said:
Here are the full numbers with more details:

No More Heroes = 10k

Silent Hill Zero = 10k

VF5 Xbox360 = 10k EL BOMBA

Uncharted = 7k OMG MEGA BOMBA

Ryu ga Gotoku 2 BEST PRICE = 7k BEST SALES

NMH first days are just ok. Uncharted might be really "uncharted" in the next week MC Top 30.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Really, wackyjappy should just be an instaban.

Anyway, NMH has pretty much zero advertising, most people don't even know what it is. Usually at school I can talk to my kids about games and they will at least know what it is, with NMH they were like "what???????"

So yeah, there's your reason lol.

kay

BishopLamont said:
I was talking in terms of GAF hype, not sales.
It got ignored? Or you mean in this thread? It's because it should not have been a big seller anyway, that's why most aren't talking about it.

Lobster

Banned
kay said:
Easily accessible to people? Especially Mario, Zelda is a toss up because the game involves more skill.

Still, those games aren't exactly catered for casual people. They're only really marketed towards them..but so is every other game.

Zelda I really disagree with..the average casual gamer would have a really hard time at a Zelda game.

I can agree to call them core games though..I'll just always believe they're hardcore.

So I'm back....hey splitting numbers is not good, j/k but I'm going to do my usual list to keep track of it better. Not really good numbers imo, I guess most titles will be saved with holiday legs but I was expecting more of quite a few releases there.

NDS Tales of Innocence - 75k (50% sell through, 150k shipment)
PSP Minna no Golf Portable 2 - 40k
360 Lost Odyssey - 40k (50% sell through, 80k shipment)
NDS Power Pro Kun Pocket 10 - 20k
NDS Gintama: Gin-Oh Quest - 15k
PSP Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida - 15k (60% sell through, 25k shipment)
PSP Silent Hill Zero - 10k
WII No More Heroes - 10k
360 Virtua Fighter 5 Live Arena - 10k
PS2 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories - 8k (20% sell through, 40k shipment)
PSP Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories - 8k (20% sell through, 40k shipment)
PS2 Ryu ga Gotoku 2 (The Best!) - 7k
PS3 Uncharted: El Dorado no Hihou - 7k
PSP Chronicle of Dungeon Maker 2 - 2k
WII Doraemon Wii - 1k
NDS Arkanoid DS - <1k
WII Minna de Asobou de! Namco Carnival - <1k

Tales of the Tempest sold 60k first day of a 200k shipment (30% sell through). For comparison, Tales of Destiny Remake sold 210k first day (74% sell through), and taking a main entry rather than a remake, Tales of the Abyss sold 280.000 first day.

kay

WII Minna de Asobou de! Namco Carnival - <1k
Backfire! Go back to real games Namco.

BishopLamont said:
I think 7k is pretty bad even if it is a western title, AC managed 40k on the 360. The game will be lucky to hit 20k for the week.
That isn't a shooter and Uncharted isn't NEARLY as marketable as Assassin's Creed. AC on PS3 will do more than Uncharted easily.

kay said:
It got ignored? Or you mean in this thread? It's because it should not have been a big seller anyway, that's why most aren't talking about it.

I think 7k is pretty bad even if it is a western title, AC managed 40k on the 360. The game will be lucky to hit 20k for the week.

Nolan.

kay said:
Backfire! Go back to real games Namco.

That isn't a shooter and Uncharted isn't NEARLY as marketable as Assassin's Creed. AC on PS3 will do more than Uncharted easily.

Resistance sold more than that even after it launched.

Lobster

Banned
BishopLamont said:

Assasins Creed advertising=awesome
Uncharted advertising=where is it?

Ubisoft is obviously trying to tap into the Japanese market while Naughty Dog aren't. Other western games do worse anyway.

kay

Nolan. said:
Resistance sold more than that even after it launched.
Mahjong Kakutou Club
Miyasato Miyoshi Kyoudai Naizou: Sega Golf Club
Genji: Days of the Blade
Resistance: Fall of Man
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
Ridge Racer 7

Not much to buy at launch. :(

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
NMH numbers are a bummer, but I can't say they are unexpected.

Make it happen, Ubi.

Lobster

Banned
Alaluef said:
NMH numbers are a bummer, but I can't say they are unexpected.

Make it happen, Ubi.

If they make it happen, I will forgive them for any shovelware they brought out on Wii.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
One question about the initial shipment percentage sold... what percentages are considered "good"? Like, is TOI's 50% of the initial shipment sold a good thing or a bad thing?

iidesuyo

Magicpaint said:
Yet, they're still realeasing more shovelware than ever. They've still not made a single good title on the Wii. Why put the effort making one when you call sell millions of shovelware anyway?

So far RRR2 hasn't set the charts on fire. It sells a lot worse than I expected (I know a lot of people who looked forward to the game, but were put off by the high price in the end).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Lobster said:
I didn't forgive them..I only loosened a little when they decided to publish NMH in NA. The sales and advertising will be make or break.
Yeah, It will be interesting to see how they handle this.

Magicpaint said:
Yet, they're still realeasing more shovelware than ever. They've still not made a single good title on the Wii. Why put the effort making one when you call sell millions of shovelware anyway?
Indeed. My reply was aimed as a joke exactly because of what you pointed.

Lobster

Banned
iidesuyo said:
So far RRR2 hasn't set the charts on fire. It sells a lot worse than I expected (I know a lot of people who looked forward to the game, but were put off by the high price in the end).

We haven't even seen charts that include RRR2 though.

Top Bottom