• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/5 - 11/11 2007

Nicktals

Banned
Is it really wrong to call basically every game for 360 and PS3 in Japan a failure?

Frankly I don't care about installed base. If the PS3 has a base of 1,000 and ratchet sells 999 I still see that as a failure. It's not the games fault, but it's still a failure in absolute terms. In relative terms it's a smashing success, but I'm not really interested in seeing if PS3 Game A sells better than PS3 Game B. I'm semi-interested in seeing if Game A sells better than Game B, and I'm fully interested in seeing if Game A (released 3 months after launch for any console) sells better than Game B (released 3 months after launch for any console)

Nicktals

Banned
Lobster said:
Yes.

why?

Look at the first page.

?

EDIT: I should elaborate. I don't know the series very well, but it seems like musou is a fairly popular series, and for it to sell 188,000 in it's first week on a console that's been out for a year isn't incredibly impressive. You're right in that I wouldn't define it as a failure, but it's certainly nothing special in absolute terms.

AniHawk

oo Kosma oo said:
Well I have to admit that while I love the game, this is my first Ratchet, I'm not sure I would bother to buy it if I already played all the previous ones. For me it's fresh.

R&C: GC is so worth it. It's pretty cheap too. Under $20. Buy it and love it.

Timbuktu

Vaandaviii said:
DS and Touch Generation are destroying videogames. I hope japanese stupidity is not infectious.

They were the lifeboats for a crumbling industry. It's not inconceivable that the same will happen in the west, with people losing interest in console gaming. There has to be a downturn sooner or later.

xabre

Banned
Japan can have their quirky junk that infests the majority of their video games for all I care. I mean with the all the quality gaming that western devs are putting out these days who even needs them anymore? I see games like Mass Effect and Bioshock that are pushing gaming forward. I see brilliant compilations like the Orange Box. I see big entertainment spectacles like Halo 3. I see this being rewarded in the marketplace.

I see good games still coming out of Japan. I mean isn't Mario Galaxy fantastic? Isn't Capcom an awesome developer? Don't the likes of Namco, Konami, Koei, Square-Enix, Sega and so forth put out some great games? Absolutely.

Sadly though Japan just isn't with it anymore. As stated in another thread they have shit taste in games that is getting worse and worse over time and this is going to ultimately translating into an industry over there that ever increasingly appeals to these tastes. If you're going to sell untold millions with minigame collections and shallow, quirky junk then why bother devoting the time and effort to large, big budget productions?

The west, thankfully, is going in a different direction. We're embracing the Wii and the DS as a new way to play games. Importantly though we aren't abandoning the trends of the past as a result; instead gaming is getting bigger and bigger as well. There's room for the best of both worlds. New nifty interaction with the Wii and DS and bigger budgets, better stories, greater spectacles with traditional hardcore gaming. The Japanese on the other hand are going backwards.

So much talent and so much waste basically sums up my feelings on the Japanese gaming industry.

Busty

Banned
I just wanted to pop in and say I was impressed not only by the PS3 numbers this week but also by how well the 360's sales of Shin Sangoku Musou 5 were. I would never have thought that it would sell 22k let alone break into the top five.

I knew the 360 was a niche machine in Japan, but I never would have thought that it would have a consumer base that actually buys third party, multi format games over competing formats.

Perhaps MS would do better from a sales perspective to stop making all these bespoke JRPGS and instead concentrate on marketing the 360 as a cheap HD gaming box for the likes of Koei and Namco's multi format efforts......

....hmmm.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
SMG not doing as well as NSMB? Simple answer really.

NSMB is

1) on DS
2) essentially a 2-D game

SMG is
1) On Wii (not quite as big an installed base)
2) a 3-D game that's alot more dizzy inducing.

I've heard people talk about the Japanese getting dizzy from some 3-D games being the main reason they dislike FPSs. I could see a Japanese person seeing a video of SMG and thinking to themselves that it looks crazy disorienting.

My 2 cents.

Busty

Banned
RurouniZel said:
I could see a Japanese person seeing a video of SMG and thinking to themselves that it looks crazy disorienting.

I think.....I think.... that has to be some of the most abstract racism I've ever read.

Are you seriously, seriously suggesting that Japanese people can't 'process' 3D images?

RurouniZel

Busty said:
I think.....I think.... that has to be some of the most abstract racism I've ever read.

Are you seriously, seriously suggesting that Japanese people can't 'process' 3D images?

I'm not saying anything of the sort. I'm saying that there have been reports and surveys over the years that show that the primary reason Japanese gamers have never especially warmed up to games like HALO or Metroid Prime is because the perspective makes them dizzy or disorients them.

Super Mario Sunshine was a 3-D Mario, but it was a 3-D Mario that was essentially on land, not running around on huge spheres with stuff coming in all directions affected by various rules of gravity.

Obviously once someone gets their hands on it and plays it, it shouldn't be that hard. But I could see someone looking at a video of people running and jumping from planetoid to planetoid, dodging bullet bills and what have you and thinking "That looks a little confusing,", whereas NSMB is a 2-D Mario game. There's nothing to "get". You run, you jump, you win.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Midas

Sounds great, maybe the Wii users can get some more games then. But I wouldn't call it hardcore though. :lol

Weisheit

Busty said:

Sensitive much?

I don't understand....

SMS had a higher 1st and 2nd week.
SM64 had a higher 1st and 2nd week.

Yet the Wii has a 2.5x higher install base vs. the GC, and 10x that of the N64 during their respective debuts, yet we are trying to excuse sales because "the Japanese don't like 3d Marios?"

Let's face it: The Japanese could care less about a hardcore *real* Mario game on a console. Just like they didn't care about Zelda: TP, and every other half-decent quality Wii title.

Weisheit

Mr Killemgood said:
I don't understand....

Yet the Wii has a 2.5x higher install base vs. the GC, and 10x that of the N64 during their respective debuts, yet we are trying to excuse sales because "the Japanese don't like 3d Marios?"
Ok.
Let's face it: The Japanese could care less about a hardcore *real* Mario game on a console. Just like they didn't care about Zelda: TP, and every other half-decent quality Wii title.
Awesome.

RurouniZel

Mr Killemgood said:
I don't understand....

As I previously mentioned, SM64 and SMS are 3-D Marios on land, which makes it a little simpler than SMG, where you're running around on huge spheres dodging all sorts of goombas, and I could easily see some of the bowser fights being confusing at first (it took me a couple lives just to figure out what I was supposed to do to damage him).

Judging by the types of games that are selling really well in Japan these days (the Wii Sports/Play, Mario Party games), I think its safe to say that the Japanese tend to prefer things to be simple to understand rather than something they get as they go along.

As the old phrase goes. "Keep it simple, stupid!"

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Loving the fact that Deadly Intent is still hanging in there. More text-based adventure DS games are a great thing.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ummm... nobody's trying to excuse SMG sales but the Japanese don't like 3D Mario as much, the 2D Mario platformers have all done well, NSMB being no exception.

So the Japanese don't like the idea of Mario in space, but just go ga-ga over Mario going to your parties, playing tennis, fighting Donkey Kong, getting involved in possibly illegal kart racing, being fasioned into paper, playing golf, street fighting, and 50 other activities, but just magically can't fly in space?

What is exactly wrong with that picture?

cvxfreak

farnham said:
RE UC is outselling in Japan

first day estimated sales 100k

http://ruliweb2.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?main=nin&table=game_nin02&num=12663&page=1&left=b

so much about thirdparty and hardcore not selling on wii

8gh48zr.jpg
8gh48zr.jpg
8gh48zr.jpg

8gh48zr.jpg
8gh48zr.jpg
8gh48zr.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
RurouniZel said:
SMG not doing as well as NSMB? Simple answer really.

NSMB is

1) on DS
2) essentially a 2-D game

SMG is
1) On Wii (not quite as big an installed base)
2) a 3-D game that's alot more dizzy inducing.

I've heard people talk about the Japanese getting dizzy from some 3-D games being the main reason they dislike FPSs. I could see a Japanese person seeing a video of SMG and thinking to themselves that it looks crazy disorienting.

My 2 cents.
yup, people expecting NSMB numbers from SMG were being delusional.

Grecco

Frankfurter said:
K, this makes no sense at all... SMG's first day barely outsells RE UCs first day. Anybody care to explain how the hell this could happen? This is not even a main RE game, and we have the one of the greatest Marios of all time on the other side...

Waining interest on 3D Marios. A Large amount of Casual Gamers who dont buy Wii games, and a sour taste from Mario Sunshine.

Really good sales from an On Rails shooter are unexplainable on the other hand

Frankfurter said:
K, this makes no sense at all... SMG's first day barely outsells RE UCs first day. Anybody care to explain how the hell this could happen? This is not even a main RE game, and we have the one of the greatest Marios of all time on the other side...

What the hell has Resident Evil got to do with Mario? (Which had better first day sales)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Here's the original blog cvx:
http://ameblo.jp/get6-2/entry-10055622454.html

Mr Killemgood said:
So the Japanese don't like the idea of Mario in space, but just go ga-ga over Mario going to your parties, playing tennis, fighting Donkey Kong, getting involved in possibly illegal kart racing, being fasioned into paper, playing golf, street fighting, and 50 other activities, but just magically can't fly in space?

What is exactly wrong with that picture?
Everything. :(

Honestly though, you're completely mad if you think the Japanese look at how hardcore a game is to see if they want it.

farnham

Banned
Frankfurter said:
you thought japanese people cared about quality huh..

the best selling titles last gen were games like dynasty warrior or samurai warrior

Sirolf said:
Bububububut the "Blue Ocean" strategy ?
Some really bitter tears here :lol :lol :lol
The "Blue Ocean" strategy is working exactly the way it's supposed to. It's just that a lot of people on NeoGAF didn't realize they were swimming in red water.

Nonetheless, I give this post four points. You get one point for asking a question that leads to a false conclusion, one point for using that fucking stupid "bubububububu" nonsense, another point using that equally fucking stupid "bitter tears" bullshit, and a final point for using the good old fashioned "Triple-LOL", a GAF classic. Four points in two sentences is pretty good! Keep it up!

[Nintex]

Galaxy isn't even in stores officially yet and almost sold out in Europe. Reading the reports of Gaffers I'd say the game is selling great in the US as well. The worldwide release should've already indicated that it was a game for the western market, Nintendo has Japan locked with WiiFit anyway.

kottila

Frankfurter said:

If it's selling out, it won't get anywhere near SMGs first week numbers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cvxfreak said:

This bodes pretty well for their expected 600k figure also... since we can pretty logically assume that the worst-case scenario is RE4 doing, say, 300k life (I'd say first day is 50% of first week and first week is 66% of life is pretty much worst-case scenario for any product) in Japan.

Unfortunately I highly doubt that RE:UC will exceed their expectations by the amount that RE4Wii has, since RE4Wii has probably tripled expectations at this point and 1.8 million is a pretty ridiculously high number for RE4:UC.

Top Bottom