• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/5 - 11/11 2007

Hammer24

Banned
farnham said:
RE UC is outselling in Japan

Back to the single player vs. multiplayer on Wii theory. Does it hold up? Is the japanese Wii gamer not interested in SP experiences (like Zelda TP and SMG numbers suggest) and much prefers multiplayer/social interactive games (like WiiSports, Mario Party etc.)?
Joshua, you don´t have a nice chart handy, do you?

ksamedi

xabre said:
Japan can have their quirky junk that infests the majority of their video games for all I care. I mean with the all the quality gaming that western devs are putting out these days who even needs them anymore? I see games like Mass Effect and Bioshock that are pushing gaming forward. I see brilliant compilations like the Orange Box. I see big entertainment spectacles like Halo 3. I see this being rewarded in the marketplace.

I see good games still coming out of Japan. I mean isn't Mario Galaxy fantastic? Isn't Capcom an awesome developer? Don't the likes of Namco, Konami, Koei, Square-Enix, Sega and so forth put out some great games? Absolutely.

Sadly though Japan just isn't with it anymore. As stated in another thread they have shit taste in games that is getting worse and worse over time and this is going to ultimately translating into an industry over there that ever increasingly appeals to these tastes. If you're going to sell untold millions with minigame collections and shallow, quirky junk then why bother devoting the time and effort to large, big budget productions?

The west, thankfully, is going in a different direction. We're embracing the Wii and the DS as a new way to play games. Importantly though we aren't abandoning the trends of the past as a result; instead gaming is getting bigger and bigger as well. There's room for the best of both worlds. New nifty interaction with the Wii and DS and bigger budgets, better stories, greater spectacles with traditional hardcore gaming. The Japanese on the other hand are going backwards.

So much talent and so much waste basically sums up my feelings on the Japanese gaming industry.

I'm glad that I don't have the same taste as you, I mean they are not bad games by any means but if the future of videogames looks like that, it would be boring as hell.

Hammer24 said:
Back to the single player vs. multiplayer on Wii theory. Does it hold up? Is the japanese Wii gamer not interested in SP experiences (like Zelda TP and SMG numbers suggest) and much prefers multiplayer/social interactive games (like WiiSports, Mario Party etc.)?

I said last December that Wii would be the multi-player system of choice, with the DS being the single player system of choice. I haven't seen anything to change my mind yet.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hammer24 said:

There's mixed evidence here. Here are the main franchises that we can relate between GCN and Wii (I use first-party here because there aren't any real franchises that aren't also anime licences that have had comparable installments between the GCN and the WII that I can think of. Wait until Tales of comes out I guess):

Code:
Mario Party 4			902,000
Mario Party 2			884,000
Mario Party 8			870,000 (will beat MP4)
Mario Party 3			846,000
Mario Party			714,000
Mario Party 5			697,000
Mario Party 6			527,000
Mario Party 7			454,000

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves 	508,000
Wario Ware Inc			454,000

Super Mario Strikers		191,000
Mario Strikers Charged		78,000

Zelda: Wind Waker		742,000
Zelda: Twilight Princess	534,000

Super Mario Sunshine		789,000
Super Mario Galaxy		~330,000+

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance	156,000
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn	153,000

Pokemon Colosseum		656,000
Pokemon Battle Revolution	278,000

Super Paper Mario		470,000
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door	409,000

So, we've got Mario Party up, Wario Ware up, Strikers down, Zelda down, Mario probably down, Fire Emblem holding equal, Pokemon way down, and Paper Mario up. MP and WW suggest that social gaming is a big thing here; Strikers suggests the opposite. Likewise, we have a hardcore franchises like Zelda and Mario down... but then Paper Mario is up and Fire Emblem is holding equal and will beat Path of Radiance over time.

Dragon Quest Swords also did quite well relative to its scope and status as a "spin-off" DQ game... and the real supply fuckup they had week one. So is this a positive indicator for hardcore gaming, or does it just mean that the DQ brandname is still strong and the platform is irrelevant?

Let me know if there's any more data you want.

[Nintex] said:
Galaxy isn't even in stores officially yet and almost sold out in Europe. Reading the reports of Gaffers I'd say the game is selling great in the US as well. The worldwide release should've already indicated that it was a game for the western market, Nintendo has Japan locked with WiiFit anyway.
You could say NoE probably shipped only about 12 copies in europe like they did with Metroid.

Hammer24

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Let me know if there's any more data you want.

What surprises me the most, is the sharp dropoff for Pokemon, especially when the DS iteration(s) sell/sold so well.

I think we should sort the data in four categories for the Wii:
- 2D-SP
- 2D-MP
- 3D-SP
- 3D-MP
and see, how they fare. Not only in comparison to former iterations in the series, but also in comparison to the userbase (f.i. WiiSports), where we can agree upon if the game is above or below expectations.

ksamedi

slaughterking said:
You could say NoE probably shipped only about 12 copies in europe like they did with Metroid.

Wasn't there some kind of a problem with the manufacturing? Last I heard Midway complaining about Nintendo not being able to manufacture enough games. This could be part of the problem.

Moor-Angol said:
i have a feeling it will let Wii to sell some units...

what if RE:UC will move more hw than SMG did on first week ?

More hardware? That would be interesting. It might stop people crying about SMG sales killing off 3rd party support.

cvxfreak

Moor-Angol said:
i have a feeling it will let Wii to sell some units...

what if RE:UC will move more hw than SMG did on first week ?

REmake and RE0 sold more GC hardware in their release weeks than SMS did. So it's possible.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Does that blog say it's selling out? It would be nice to know the initial shipment..

schuelma said:
Does that blog say it's selling out? It would be nice to know the initial shipment..

Maybe it's not selling out yet, but sales are great and first stock could be entirely sold soon.
According to Amazon.jp, RE:UC is still available, meanwhile from last week till yesterday preorders were sold out (bundled version was sold out more than 1 month ago).

tanod

when is my burrito
Lobster said:
If UC doesn't top the charts next week im not going to be a happy camper. :mad:

Well, of all the publishers (besides Squeenix), Capcom seems to be the only one who manages to put out good selling titles on all platforms in all territories. They have their shit together pretty well, except for Zack & Wiki. Who knows what happened there?

Flakster99

cvxfreak said:
REmake and RE0 sold more GC hardware in their release weeks than SMS did. So it's possible.

Aye, I remember that also. RE UC selling well makes some sense to me for a few reasons.

1. With RE4 being the last series installment, it was pure quality and positively revived the series for many.
2. RE4 Wii Edition - fantastic waggle port that reintroduced the game to both gamers new & old.
3. RE5 - looks absolutely stunning, praying Capcom does not stray to far from the RE4 formula. Anticipation is building.
4. The Resident Evil gaming franchise is, or has become once again mainstream.
5. Possible quality, story tie ins, style of RE UC.

In any case, that's just fantastic 1st day #'s. The RE series was always one of my favorites during the PS1 days, glad to see it getting some continued respect.

Dascu

Tenbatsu said:
If bio series is really so popular on the Wii and pushing sales like what RE4 had done, I predict capcom will port something over...
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - REmix
Features an on-rails version of RE4, much like RE:UC, since Wii fans obviously like ports, RE4 and on-rails shooters. It's the only logical choice!

farnham

Banned
Saitou said:
No, not RE4 again. Definitely not RE5.

REMAKE RE2 ALREADY CAPCOM, GODFUCKINGDAMNIT
Make both

also I want to buy 2 versions of RE 5 (I did with RE4)

The 360 HD one and the Wii one with supreme controls

And here I thought that RE:UC would bomb so very badly. (the blog is credible right?)

I guess I don't know enough of the Japanese market, since someone above me pointed out that the RE games on the cube moved more hardware than SMS, but if I had made guesses last month about how the Japanese market would look like today, I would be so dead wrong.

ethelred

Error said:
yup, people expecting NSMB numbers from SMG were being delusional.

I'm not sure who was expecting New Super Mario Bros. numbers. I think a lot of people were expecting the game to do a good bit better than Mario Sunshine, though.

Souldriver said:
(the blog is credible right?)

It's written in Japanese so it must be true.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
WTF ? Now I'm REALLY confused. I was lamost sure that UC would have bombed.

Galaxy bombs and UC not ??? What the HECK is going on in Japan ???
Well, I we better wait till there are better numbers available. Maybe RE:UC does 130k first week. You never know :)

Saitou

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
WTF ? Now I'm REALLY confused. I was lamost sure that UC would have bombed.

UC is incredibly appealing to the hardcore Biohazard fans.

However, it would appear to be that Mario is now appealing neither casual nor core gamers in Japan. Truly a sad day.

Linkup

I saw the wii fit sales predictions in the other mc thread and don't really understand why they were so high. I was thinking 70-100k yet most were higher. Like wiisports, wii fit has that same appeal, but it cost more and is not at launch so why the confidence by so many? Don't these kind of games have a decent launch and then stay in the 15-30k area for a lengthy period?

Saitou said:
UC is incredibly appealing to the hardcore Biohazard fans.

However, it would appear to be that Mario is now appealing neither casual nor core gamers in Japan. Truly a sad day.

And, like I said, it's a rail shooter, so it gets +2 awesome points.

Furoba

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
WTF ? Now I'm REALLY confused. I was almost sure that UC would have bombed.

Galaxy will have legs. It'll be on the top of the charts during December and January. Nintendo software and hardware sales spike at that time thanks to children's pocket money and Christmas presents.

tanod

when is my burrito
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
WTF ? Now I'm REALLY confused. I was almost sure that UC would have bombed.

Dragon Quest Swords did pretty well (300k-400k?) and it's basically the same thing as UC.

ethelred

zeroshiki said:
The thing is in Korean not Japanese.

Ruliweb is a lame forum, not a blog. It'd be like taking GAF as a source. However, Ruliweb is citing a Japanese blog -- not sinobi's, but someone else's. And since it's written in the native language, that gives it an impenetrable air of authenticity and authority. It's hard to doubt the truth of kanji.

ziran

RurouniZel said:
SMG not doing as well as NSMB? Simple answer really.

NSMB is

1) on DS
2) essentially a 2-D game

SMG is
1) On Wii (not quite as big an installed base)
2) a 3-D game that's alot more dizzy inducing.
I've heard people talk about the Japanese getting dizzy from some 3-D games being the main reason they dislike FPSs. I could see a Japanese person seeing a video of SMG and thinking to themselves that it looks crazy disorienting.

My 2 cents.
I don't think anybody really thought SMG would sell NSMB numbers, not with a straight face. 2 million would've been an absolute outside, unprecedented success for the game, and 1+ million was a more common bet.

However, with regards to your reasoning in bold, I think so. Now I've played SMG a good while, it's clearly not casual friendly. An amazing game, but definitely hardcore. The perspective is going to put a lot of people off, it's really odd when you first play it. It's possible a good amount of the casual audience is going to be put off just watching it and those that do give it a try are unlikely to stick at it long enough for it to become familiar.

I'm wondering if Nintendo really knew this, because I doubt a company who has had such success in the casual field would be so naive as to believe SMG would be accepted by this group, when after a matter of a few minutes play its hardcore leaning is obvious. I think it's likely Nintendo has had a new 2D Mario for Wii in the works at EAD for a long time.

farnham said:
RE UC is outselling in Japan

first day estimated sales 100k

http://ruliweb2.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?main=nin&table=game_nin02&num=12663&page=1&left=b

so much about thirdparty and hardcore not selling on wii
If true, that's excellent! Much, much higher than I expected. I thought 150-200K LTD, it could do around that in the first week!

With a good run over the holidays it could top 500K.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Saitou said:
No, not RE4 again. Definitely not RE5.

REMAKE RE2 ALREADY CAPCOM, GODFUCKINGDAMNIT

Sold.

I am buying RE5 for the PS3, but a RE2 remake with ramped up difficulty and a refined RE4 engine is a perfect killer app.

Frillen

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
So the next crazy thing will be that Link Crossbow Training will sell more then Twilight Princess.

I will never enter a Japanese sales thread again if that happens

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Pureauthor said:
That's just 120K less then Capcom's worldwide lifetime expectations! Leave some for Europe and USA! :lol

Damn, this will make up for the horrible sales for Zack and Wiki.

Never mind, there is no excuse for Zack and Wiki's sales.

Jammy

Banned
Weren't people reporting that RE: UC was back-ordered on the Amazon JPN site and Play-Asia or something?

This is good news for Capcom, I hope they're able to get a lot more out there for people to buy.

In regards to Galaxy's sales, it sucks that the game has only sold like 325,000 in less than two weeks. It definitely deserves a ton more considering the quality and type of game it is, not to mention the name going for it.

However, with sales of Dragon Quest Swords and now RE: UC, I think it's safe to say that if you put the right games on the Wii, they will sell, whether these be entries in popular series like Resident Evil or Dragon Quest, or if they're unique, casual, and designed around the Wii (like Wii Sports and soon Wii Fit).

Unfortunately, these games seem to be coming out at a snails pace. The Wii just needs consistent hits. It was doing well when that Gundam game, Mario Party 8, Dragon Quest Swords, etc. all released for it in a two or three week span. This needs to continue happening.

Jammy

Banned
ksamedi said:
By the way, what were the expectations for Zack and Wiki?

:lol I don't think there were any. The only expectations we got from Capcom were about RE4: Wii Edition and RE: UC.

slaughterking said:
Does it say the next RE UC shipment is expected for the middle of december?
According to babelfish, next stock might be shipped in middle December

The number of sum total sales (our store result) the shop which it exceeds it is many,

Also the possibility the number of sales of sale first day reaching in 10 ten thousand came out.

Being at first day this to be, as for naturally the first number of week sales breaking 10 ten thousand being secure,

Almost, being to become complete sale, bother the head in order of next shipment middle of December it may, is.

Top Bottom