• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/3 - 12/9 2007

tanod

when is my burrito
ethelred said:
Like, what, Folklore?

Folklore didn't have Hironobu Sakaguchi, Akira Toriyama, and Nobuo Uematsu working on it.

From the makers of Genji 2 is what most people probably picked up on. It's a shame it didn't sell better because Folklore has a remarkably deep story from what I've played so far.

JoshuaJSlone said:
There are cases where making a Wii version of a game instead of an X360 version of a game are more expensive? Other than, say, a PS3 port where the Wii version would need to be more of a remake.

It's mostly relative to the tools used and the "effort" being made into making the game. It's entirely possible to crank out a more-than decent "Nexgen" game on a "lastgen" budget. Most modern PC games fall under what we would call a "Lastgen" budget.

TunaLover said:
Party games, non-games, training games are the new Japanese crack, period =/

I wonder how the companies will work to keep party games, and non games experience fresh, I mean what do you posible make in a party game more than compilate a bunch of wagling activities? I fear the genre is very limited to expand it, and keep it at the same time compeling and interesting, even for non gamers.
So out of the Top 30 we have WiiFit, MP DS, M&S, Wii Sports, Wii Play (although that doesn't count since it's a controller, or so I heard), MP8, maybe that obscure railroad game (don't know though but I expect you don't either).

So at worst 7/30. Plus MP, WiiPlay, M&S do well everywhere else too, hardly "Japanese crack".

test_account said:
Afaik, Folklore isnt exactly the same type of game as LO, so i wouldnt compare those up to eachother salewise. I think LO would have broken 100k the first week if it was for PS3.
Oh wow :lol . Maybe people just aren't interested in the title? While Folklore may not have the same high profile names working on it it was one of the few "japanese" titles to see the light of day in a period of rather dry releases on PS3. No one in their right mind expected this to sell like gangbusters but it was a disappointing performance.

And not a lot of PS3 titles break 100k first week. Usually it involves both a former million seller franchise (or the combination of two) and things like price drops or bundles.

While it is not fair to compare sales of LO and FL it doesn't make your prediction any more propable.

schuelma said:
I think only Vinnk reported that- and that was for one store.
Actually, there was a price collapse in Osaka's DenDen town too, dropping from 4980yen to around 3800yen... However, popping into stores today to buy GT5p, I noticed Galaxy has shot back up to it's original 4980yen price tag.

GDGF

Soothsayer
john tv said:
Remember the days when it was rare if more than one or two games from a Nintendo console made it into the top ten? Times have sure changed...

Yeah, and I remember the days before then that were just like the days we have now :)

Xisiqomelir

charlequin said:
Move on to... where? Nintendo, who don't care about RPGs and didn't bother to market their DS title at all? Or Sony, who already have a pretty solid investment in other AAA RPG exclusives, all of which sell a hell of a lot better than Mistwalker's titles?

Square-Enix, of course. You don't think Hori wouldn't love the chance to rub it in Sakaguchi's face again? I'm sure Wada would be amenable too, there has to be positive equity yet left in the Gooch.

harSon

Banned
Xisiqomelir said:
Square-Enix, of course. You don't think Hori wouldn't love the chance to rub it in Sakaguchi's face again? I'm sure Wada would be amenable too, there has to be positive equity yet left in the Gooch.

He dislikes Square and Sony if you haven't noticed from his interviews, his only alternative would be Nintendo as previously stated. Which doesn't fit his style of console games at all.

Xisiqomelir

harSon said:
He dislikes Square and Sony if you haven't noticed from his interviews, his only alternative would be Nintendo as previously stated. Which doesn't fit his style of console games at all.

Beggars, choosers etc.

icecream

Public Health Threat
tanod said:
Folklore didn't have Hironobu Sakaguchi, Akira Toriyama, and Nobuo Uematsu working on it.
Neither does Lost Odyssey.

test_account said:
Afaik, Folklore isnt exactly the same type of game as LO, so i wouldnt compare those up to eachother salewise. I think LO would have broken 100k the first week if it was for PS3.
They're both really solid RPGs, that's all that matters. At this point, J-RPGs sell worse on the PS3, unless you believe the upcoming WKS or Disgaea 3 will change that.

Kosma

Banned
icecream said:
Neither does Lost Odyssey.

It has two out of three.

icecream said:
At this point, J-RPGs sell worse on the PS3, unless you believe the upcoming WKS or Disgaea 3 will change that.

What? There are JRPG"s out on the PS3? Let's wait till WKS hits maybe ok? Or Eternal Sonata.

harSon

Banned
icecream said:
'Sure MS, we'll use your startup money to develop for rival platforms!'

He's potentially developing 2 games outside of his 3 exclusive game contract for the Xbox 360(Blue Dragon 2 and an unnanounced MMO), I think thats a clear sign of what platform hes going to be doing his business (for this generation at least). Mistwalker from what we've seen doesn't seem like it's pulling a Level 5 :)

test_account

XP-39C²
ethelred said:
Not a chance.

Ok, 2 chances then ;) Why not by the way? But anyway, your guess is as good as mine. We will never (most likely) know the answer anyway, so its just pure speculatios :)

ComputerNerd said:
Wii games are cheaper to make. So even if they sell the same amount, the Wii version will generate more profit.

As far as labor development costs goes i dont think there is too much of a difference. I mean, lets say that Suda51 had a budget on 1 million dollars, he could probly make the exact same game for 360 with this money too, laber developement costs that is. 360 shouldnt be that hard to work with from what i've heard so i dont think they had to spend much more time on it if it was for 360 (taken into account that the game looks exactly like the Wii version). But then there is the price of devkits and license to MS. I dont know if that is much more expencive than license to Nintendo.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Josh- 1up is now carrying the Go Nintendo story that they got from you.

icecream

Public Health Threat
oo Kosma oo said:
What? There are JRPG"s out on the PS3? Let's wait till WKS hits maybe ok? Or Eternal Sonata.
Would you like a list?

I'm hoping that WKS will sell well, as it seems like a good game. If it does, then all the blame can be shifted on the 360. But I feel that J-RPGs as a whole just aren't selling as well on next-gen consoles, regardless of platform. Not unless they're FFXIII anyways.

harSon said:
He's potentially developing 2 games outside of his 3 exclusive game contract for the Xbox 360(Blue Dragon 2 and an unnanounced MMO), I think thats a clear sign of what platform hes going to be doing his business (for this generation at least).
They're both for the DS though. Even Rare develops for the DS. It just means MS probably doesn't have a problem with development for the handheld market.

Busaiku said:
Replace Mr. Toriyama with Takeihiko Inoue (who is also a really big name).
Yes, that was the point of my statement. :D

jarrod

Banned
harSon said:
He's potentially developing 2 games outside of his 3 exclusive game contract for the Xbox 360(Blue Dragon 2 and an unnanounced MMO), I think thats a clear sign of what platform hes going to be doing his business (for this generation at least). Mistwalker from what we've seen doesn't seem like it's pulling a Level 5 :)
Well, L5 didn't do all that well while playing 1st party bitch either... let's see how MW's AQI stuff does at least. :p

harSon

Banned
icecream said:
Would you like a list?

I'm hoping that WKS will sell well, as it seems like a good game. If it does, then all the blame can be shifted on the 360. But I feel that J-RPGs as a whole just aren't selling as well on next-gen consoles, regardless of platform. Not unless they're FFXIII anyways.

They're both for the DS though. Even Rare develops for the DS. It just means MS probably doesn't have a problem with development for the handheld market.

Yes, that was the point of my statement. :D

Blue Dragon + is a spin off and there is no MMO (from any company :lol) in development for the DS. Not quite sure what you are trying to say?

And I really hope Level 5's DS presence in Japan helps boost WKS sales, they didn't have much luck commercially outside of DQ on the Playstation 2.

icecream

Public Health Threat
harSon said:
Blue Dragon + is a spin off and there is no MMO (from any company :lol) in development for the DS. Not quite sure what you are trying to say?
I was referring to AWAY and BD+ for the DS. What were you referring to?

The original statement was that Mistwalker chose to develop for the 360, when it was probably more like only MS was willing to fork up the money to get them started, hence their initial 360 development.

jgwhiteus

harSon said:

Is there bad blood between Sakaguchi and Square? I always hear these corporate politics stories about long-standing rivalries and resentments - like, supposedly Nomura (or is it Kitase?) hates Nintendo, Nintendo certainly had it in for Square in the Yamauchi era with the GBA license fiasco, etc. - but I never know how much weight to put on them. I could see Sakaguchi being bitter over his ouster from Square, but at the same time he probably still has some good friends there, too.

And about the Nintendo "style" of console games - it's funny that people forget that Square got its start on the NES, and that the SNES was (arguably) the best jRPG system of all time, despite being a very family-friendly system. Just because the N64 / Gamecube only had a few traditional jRPG's, it doesn't mean Nintendo hated them (Yamauchi press quotes notwithstanding) - it's more likely that they couldn't attract jRPG developers anymore (the N64 because of expensive cartridge tech., the GameCube because of low userbase).

harSon

Banned
icecream said:
I was referring to AWAY and BD+ for the DS. What were you referring to?

Blue Dragon 2 and an unnamed 360 MMO.

jgwhiteus said:
Is there bad blood between Sakaguchi and Square? I always hear these corporate politics stories about long-standing rivalries and resentments - like, supposedly Nomura (or is it Kitase?) hates Nintendo, Nintendo certainly had it in for Square in the Yamauchi era with the GBA license fiasco, etc. - but I never know how much weight to put on them. I could see Sakaguchi being bitter over his ouster from Square, but at the same time he probably still has some good friends there, too.

And about the Nintendo "style" of console games - it's funny that people forget that Square got its start on the NES, and that the SNES was (arguably) the best jRPG system of all time, despite being a very family-friendly system. Just because the N64 / Gamecube only had a few traditional jRPG's, it doesn't mean Nintendo hated them (Yamauchi press quotes notwithstanding) - it's more likely that they couldn't attract jRPG developers anymore (the N64 because of expensive cartridge tech., the GameCube because of low userbase).

I don't know the details, but people tend not to go back to companies that they were (forced) to resign from due to nearly bankrupting the company.

jgwhiteus

harSon said:
I don't know the details, but people tend not to go back to companies that they were (forced) to resign from due to nearly bankrupting the company.

True, but I guess we'll never know if it's coming from his side or theirs (or both). And relationships between companies and individuals can change if there are shakeups in management - Square's GBA license apparently wouldn't have happened if Suzuki(?) hadn't resigned, since I guess he was a source of tension between Nintendo and Square. But yeah, overall I'd say the chances of Sakaguchi going back to Square are zilch (though I could see them working on a "collaboration" with him someday for a one-shot game if the relationship ever recovered).

schuelma said:
Josh- 1up is now carrying the Go Nintendo story that they got from you.
Well gee, and I thought the most interesting thing was going to be the Portuguese/French/Danish versions of the story. Seeing everyone repeat the number down to the single digit kinda makes me cringe, though, since the data for the last two weeks is still just the early rounded version. I suppose it would be a mouthful to accurately say Wii is at "3,844,356 plus about 181,000", but hey.

harSon said:
Well, there are a lot of publishers other than Square, Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft out there. But unless things start seeming strained with MS, it's kinda irrelevant where else they might go.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ah, it's always fun arguing with some idiot on other message boards when they tell me this:

If Bue Dragon pushed units for 360 with a childrens animated series. Then Lost Odyssey is going to make a much larger impact. First of all it's Sakaguchi's game, and that makes all the difference in the world. People want Sakaguchi games from Mistwalker the same way they want Miyamoto games from Nintendo.

Anyhow, can we expect first day numbers for GT5:p? Has anyone taken a tally what it'll do for the first week?

What would be a success? 100K+? 200K+? Will it do neither?

apujanata

reilo said:
Ah, it's always fun arguing with some idiot on other message boards when they tell me this:

Anyhow, can we expect first day numbers for GT5:p? Has anyone taken a tally what it'll do for the first week?

Since GT5:p will not kill gaming (unlike Wii Fit), nobody has taken the time and energy to do a tally of what it will do the first week (as far as I know).

ivysaur12

Banned
apujanata said:
According to this (Famitsu based data) :
http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/gc.php

it is 789.989

Well see how December goes, but I'm not sure SMG has the legs to beat Sunshine :-\

EDIT: Some of those numbers are interesting. I had no idea that Hotel Dusk doubled Trace Memory's sales. And that Viewtiful Joe DS was the third poorest selling game that they tracked on the DS :-\

Grecco

reilo said:

I read someplace 300k was the expected first week totals for GT5p

jarrod

Banned
I'd say somewhere between 100-200k for GT5P. Might seem low, but I bet downloads take a big chunk out of the retail sales...

Rock_Man

I wonder why there are barely any new DS games from Nintendo this holiday season. Of course it would be difficult (or impossible) to match 2005 (Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and More Brain Age) but I think it's a little strange that they don't release a few more niche games or whatever.

Personally I would love to see Famicom Wars DS 2 released in December 2007 instead of in the middle of May 2008 (it has no date yet I think). Or maybe a budget release of Famicom Wars DS along with a lot of advertising finally making it a million seller... I know I'm dreaming.

November/December DS games published by Nintendo

Sawaru Made in Wario
Super Mario 64 DS
Pokemon Dash
Daigasso! Band Brothers
Chokkan Hitofude

Daredemo Asobi Taizen
Otona no DS Golf
Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Ao no Kyuujotai
Oide yo Doubutsu no Mori (Animal Crossing)
Tottoko Hamtaro: Nazo Nazo Q Kumonoue no ? Jou
Mario Kart DS
Mario & Luigi RPG 2x2
More Brain Training

Hoshi no Kirby: Sanjou! Dorocche Dan
Magic Taizen
Jump! Ultimate Stars
Kenkou Ouen Recipe 1000: DS Kondate Zenshuu
Touch de Tanoshimu Hyakunin Isshu: DS Shigureden

Mario Party DS
Kousoku Card Battle: Card Hero

schuelma

Hardware is up:

DSL 168,255
Wii 115,057
PSP 91,481
PS3 38,123
PS2 11,987
Xbox360 8,876
GBASP 94
GC 46
GBM 20
DS 12

castle007

Banned
schuelma said:
Hardware is up:

DSL 168,255
Wii 115,057
PSP 91,481
PS3 38,123
PS2 11,987
Xbox360 8,876
GBASP 94
GC 46
GBM 20
DS 12

Wiiiiiiiii!!! And DS is performing like it is supposed to

That is it for the PS3??

reilo

Fuck Wii Fit.

PS3 holding steady at 40K.

DS does what DS does.

Kosma

Banned
Wii : seems not everyone who wants WiiFit had one yet, good sign for N.

PS3 : seems to stabilize at +35k. Good job I guess, hopefully in the future that number will be higher so it can really beat the Cube.

360 : even LO didn't bump the 360 sales much, Japanese not giving the 360 any deserved break

Arde5643

So Wii is back and DS reigns as the beastly king once again.

PS3 goes back to regular sales, which is a bad sign since we're a couple of weeks away from holidays - wait, do game sales go up in Japan in December?

reilo

Arde5643 said:

PS3 goes back to regular sales, which is a bad sign since we're a couple of weeks away from holidays - wait, do game sales go up in Japan in December?

Since when was 38K regular sales for PS3?

Arde5643 said:

I thought "regular" sales were around 15k? Not that it matters given the holy shit performance of Wii, but heh.

Rock_Man said:
I wonder why there are barely any new DS games from Nintendo this holiday season. Of course it would be difficult (or impossible) to match 2005 (Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and More Brain Age) but I think it's a little strange that they don't release a few more niche games or whatever.

Indeed. Out of the 79 software titles Iwata said they were working on back in march, 60 are still unreleased. Perhaps they wanted to give the third party games a chance to sell a little better.

31./24. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5)
32./10. [NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters World Championship 2008 (Konami)
33./00. [PS2] Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (Capcom)
34./18. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary (Nintendo)
35./37. [WII] Wario Ware Smooth Moves (Nintendo)
36./00. [360] Virtua Fighter 5 Live Arena (Sega)
37./16. [PS3] Shin Sangoku Musou 5 (Koei)
38./00. [WII] No More Heroes (Marvelous Entertainment)
39./34. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS (Bandai-Namco)
40./22. [WII] Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom)
41./20. [NDS] Mega Man Star Force 2: Berserk × Dinosaur (Capcom)
42./28. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo)
43./39. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)
44./21. [NDS] Mega Man Star Force 2: Berserk × Shinobi (Capcom)
45./25. [NDS] Dinosaur King: The Seven Fragments (Sega)
46./43. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
47./49. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Puchi-Puchi Omisecchi: Thanks Everybody! (Bandai-Namco)
48./35. [NDS] Won!tertainment: Music Channel (Capcom)
49./42. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo)
50./38. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)

NDS - 26
WII - 9
PS2 - 5
PSP - 5
PS3 - 3
360 - 2

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   168,267 |   124,627 | 6,446,771 | 20,452,450
2. WII   -   115,057 |    74,764 | 3,140,843 |  4,060,486
3. PSP   -    91,481 |    74,626 | 2,551,681 |  7,083,810
4. PS3   -    38,123 |    37,092 | 1,009,525 |  1,467,083
5. PS2   -    11,987 |    13,703 |   708,193 | 20,863,052
6. 360   -     8,876 |     6,632 |   217,866 |    482,568
7. GBA   -       114 |        33 |    50,394 | 15,348,473
8. NGC   -        46 |        32 |    10,463 |  4,179,931
GBA = 0 GBA + 94 SP + 20 Micro
NDS = 12 DS + 168,255 Lite

s_20071203.png

schuelma

Well, just judging by upcoming game releases...barring a GT5 miracle next week the PS3 won't have a shot at beating Wii until the week of 1/31 when DMC4 releases. Of course, Smash Brothers releases the week before so I don't even know about that.

Top Bottom