• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/3 - 12/9 2007

Y2Kev said:
I've heard nights already has some second hand copies floating around.

on Amazon.jp there are already copies available for GT5p (1 used and 2 new) and Chocobo (2 new) but not for NiGHTS...

SMG is climbing up the chart, 100k for this week my prediction (1 is mine, ehehehe)

Lobster

Banned
AniHawk said:
Mostly holidays, really. Notice the PSP jumped about 15k for no reason.

PSP goes up in sales randomly for no reason sometimes though..

But..yeah I guess you could say mostly the holidays.

perfectchaos007 said:
Wow @ PSP. Making some very good percentage gains on the DS over the past couple months.
Cue "The gap is closing!" press release.

reilo said:
If hilarity is a synonym for sadness, then yes.
I'm not a fan of JRPGs but from what I understand the Mysterious Dungeons series is basically an old-school dungeon crawler. So just because they added that yellow bird thing it's sad if it was to sell better than other games? Or did they water down the play mechanics? And if so, how?

schuelma said:
Hardware is up:

DSL 168,255
Wii 115,057
PSP 91,481
PS3 38,123
PS2 11,987
Xbox360 8,876
GBASP 94
GC 46
GBM 20
DS 12

Wow at the Wii. It seems the slow down is over.

Cheesemeister said:
Animal Crossing WW is back it seems. And Wario Ware Wii too.

AniHawk said:
Mostly holidays, really. Notice the PSP jumped about 15k for no reason.

It has at least a game in the top 10 (Minna no Golf 2) and 5 games in the top 50. Always poor software's sales in comparison to the performance of the hardware.

test_account

XP-39C²
TwinIonEngines said:
What's keeping PS3 flat this week? Even X360 went up more in absolute units.

Xbox 360 had Lost Odyssey released. I dont think the numbers would have gone up to ~8k if it wasnt for this game, but who knows :)

Rock_Man

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Animal Crossing WW is back it seems.

It hasn't been out of the top 50 and this is it's lowest rank yet though sales probably were higher than the previous week. It will be very surprising if it leaves the top 50 during the holiday. It should have a huge boost, but the current position (#46) is much worse than I would have predicted a month ago. Same goes for More Brain Age.

Rock_Man said:
It hasn't been out of the top 50 and this is it's lowest rank yet though sales probably were higher than the previous week. It will be very surprising if it leaves the top 50 during the holiday. It should have a huge boost, but the current position (#46) is much worse than I would have predicted a month ago. Same goes for More Brain Age.

Yeah most of the DS non-games are starting to die, it's going to be interesting to see what Nintendo is going to bring out in 2008. Brain Training 3 seems to be a sure candidate.

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

First day sales:

PS3 GT5P: 50k (30% sell-through, downloads unknown and not included)
Wii Chocobo Dungeon: 30k (30% sell-through)
Wii NiGHTS: 7k (10% sell-through)
Wii SC Legend: 5k (10% sell-through)
Wii WE LOVE GOLF: 4k (10% sell-through)

PSP Slim (Deep Red): Near sellout

Lobster

Banned
Wtf...only 40k We Love Golf shipment? Thats some nice support there Capcom..Why didn't you advertise it???

The Chocobo sales were alright..but I was way off expecting over 100k.. :\

I guess Wii third party are just relying on other regions now. Japan is saying no to Japanese centric games...

mabuza

Banned
Lobster said:
Wtf...only 40k We Love Golf shipment? Thats some nice support there Capcom..Why didn't you advertise it???

I guess Wii third party are just relying on other regions now. Japan is saying no to Japanese centric games...
it sold 4k first day. i would say it was overshipped. it would be lucky to reach even 10k next week.

Pureauthor said:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ouch...

What the hell has happened to consoles in Japan? When the PS2 finally dies off will the console software market go with it?

Much to ponder... so little time... pretentiousness wearing thin...

Lobster

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Ouch...

What the hell has happened to consoles in Japan? When the PS2 finally dies off will the console software market go with it?

Only DQ and FF will be left among the hardcore games that sell.

Lobster said:
Only DQ and FF will be left among the hardcore games that sell.
I don't think they'll disappear, but mainline Tales and DQ going DS are likely only the beginning of a larger handheld pilgrammage.

The era of consoles is at it's end in Japan... let us have a moment of silence for our fallen warriors.

Defuser said:
Console gaming is dead.
Looking at those Wii first day numbers in the midst of the holiday, this does seem true more then ever. Either that or Japan only loves Nintendo.

Lobster said:

Everything doesn't just boil down to "no advertisements" ya know, consumers do have a choice.

Thunder Monkey said:
It might sink in more if MH3 and FFXIII "bomb".
I don't think they will bomb, Japanese still love their proven million selling franchises. It's the relatively weaker ones that seem to suffer the most.

AniHawk

I don't think console gaming is dead, but console gaming has to change if it wants to survive in Japan. Wii Fit is successful because it's only something you can do at home, similar to why Animal Crossing DS was such a big hit because it makes sense to play it on the go instead of at home.

ziran

GT4P opened with ~220K in its first week, GT5P should have ~75K on the chart, I'd guess at least 150K total including downloads. This is about expected from a declining franchise, for opening. Through retail the game looks unlikely to come close to the 1 million or so copies GT4P managed.

Chocobo MD sold decently, ~50K for the week, could manage 100K total, maybe more. Nights, SCL, We Love Golf all bombed, which isn't surprising.

And I think it says Wii Fit has been restocked, and it's back in stock (and at no.1) at Amazon Japan. Nintendo seems to be handling this one nicely.

Thunder Monkey said:
Ouch...

Defuser said:
Console gaming is dead.
Well, there was the whole, 'home console gaming is dying', sensationalist/reactionary theory. It's still early, but hopefully home console gaming is fine, and in fact thriving, all it needed was Wii Fit, i.e. more new, innovative games unique to the strengths of home systems. Console gaming as definied by some of the hardcore is still in trouble, but you can't have everything, at least not immediately, especially after the way (all) developers treated the market with endless sequels with minor improvements.

Nintendo has a good chance of holding onto great sales in Japan over the coming months with their current line-up and SSBB, Wii Music and MKWii in early 2008. What I think could happen is a DS type effect, as we're already starting to see. Wii Sports, Wii Fit, SMG and Wii Music, MKWii, SSBB, could combine into consistent system sellers.

I think the Japanese home market is in Nintendo's hands, if they can continue delivering compelling, Wii Sports/Fit level quality sw, they could continue to have huge, PS2 type, success.

Similar to what has happened with DS, Nintendo's direction could bring about a reinvigoration of all kinds of gaming on home consoles in Japan, which would be good for everyone.

AniHawk said:
I don't think console gaming is dead, but console gaming has to change if it wants to survive in Japan. Wii Fit is successful because it's only something you can do at home, similar to why Animal Crossing DS was such a big hit because it makes sense to play it on the go instead of at home.

Nights and We Love Golf is taking advantage of the Wiimote yet it still fails to garner decent sales, I mean if Wii Sports is selling, why won't We Love Golf? One would think We Love Golf would appeal more to the Wii audience more then Chocobo, yet sales shows otherwise. Well we'll see how much it goes on for the rest of the week and see it's legs to come to any conclusions.

womfalcs3

Banned
When Sony said they expected 250,000 GT5:p copies sold in the first week, did they also include downloads in that figure?

Edit: Nevermind. If 30% of shipments were sold, then they only shipped about 150,000 units to retail. So that 250,000 figure includes both.

lherre

Accurate
AnimeTheme said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

First day sales:

PS3 GT5P: 50k (30% sell-through, downloads unknown and not included)
Wii Chocobo Dungeon: 30k (30% sell-through)
Wii NiGHTS: 7k (10% sell-through)
Wii SC Legend: 5k (10% sell-through)
Wii WE LOVE GOLF: 4k (10% sell-through)

PSP Slim (Deep Red): Near sellout

Without numbers of downloads we can't give an accurate opinion of the sales of GT5P
(besides is cheaper via download if I'm not in a mistake)

Very poor third party soft sales on wii

And the "mistery" again: psp, sony would be release new colors every week :lol

Lobster

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Nights and We Love Golf is taking advantage of the Wiimote yet it still fails to garner decent sales, I mean if Wii Sports is selling, why won't We Love Golf? One would think We Love Golf would appeal more to the Wii audience more then Chocobo, yet sales shows otherwise. Well we'll see how much it goes on for the rest of the week and see it's legs to come to any conclusions.

Thats exactly what I thought aswell..I couldn't see any reason why We Love Golf would bomb in Japan other then being a new franchise..

spwolf

womfalcs3 said:
When Sony said they expected 250,000 GT5:p copies sold in the first week, did they also include downloads in that figure?

they expected 250k GT5P to be sold and then made 150k copies. :D

Lobster

Banned
spwolf said:
they expected 250k GT5P to be sold and then made 150k copies. :D

So they expected to sell 100k+ online. I think they'll do it..anyone who owns a Ps3 in Japan will obviously see it online..it being downloadable online gives it the most potential of selling out of the "prologues"

Top Bottom