• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 16 - 22 Oct

ethelred

jesusraz said:
Really? Does its Nintendo heritage really mean that little then, you think?

What Nintendo heritage? Publishers don't give a crap about system heritage; they care about where the money is... or where they perceive it to be, anyway. Radiant Mythology is on PSP, and I don't see any reason to think that Namco Bandai will suddenly decide that they should put another Narikiri on DS.

jesusraz

ethelred said:
What Nintendo heritage? Publishers don't give a crap about system heritage; they care about where the money is... or where they perceive it to be, anyway. Radiant Mythology is on PSP, and I don't see any reason to think that Namco Bandai will suddenly decide that they should put another Narikiri on DS.

True, Squaresoft and Enix proved that in the PlayStation era...But I suppose it all comes down to how well Tales of the Tempest sells on DS in comparison to Radiant Mythology on PSP. Considering Phantasia PSP kind of dropped away pretty quickly (showing fourth time certainly isn't the charm...they should have stuck with the third remake), a lot will rest on TotW: RM's shoulders, I reckon.

Am I to assume you're not bothered which system get the Tales spin-offs, ethelred?

ethelred

jesusraz said:
True, Squaresoft and Enix proved that in the PlayStation era...But I suppose it all comes down to how well Tales of the Tempest sells on DS in comparison to Radiant Mythology on PSP. Considering Phantasia PSP kind of dropped away pretty quickly (showing fourth time certainly isn't the charm...they should have stuck with the third remake), a lot will rest on TotW: RM's shoulders, I reckon.

Am I to assume you're not bothered which system get the Tales spin-offs, ethelred?

Where would my personal feelings factor in? I'm not making the decisions on where these games go, Namco Bandai is. What I think of it doesn't matter.

But to answer your question: Radiant Mythology looks like a great game as far as the Tales of the World series goes, so I'm not particularly bothered by the fact that they're making it on the PSP, no. And hey, hopefully it'll sell well enough that NB will view it as financially feasible to make a new full fledged portable entry into the Tales series, this time on the PSP, since they determined that it's not worth taking on on the DS seriously.

jesusraz

ethelred said:
Where would my personal feelings factor in? I'm not making the decisions on where these games go, Namco Bandai is.

Really? Well, knock me down with a feather... :p

What I think of it doesn't matter.

Then equally nobody's opinion counts...In other words, it was only a question of preference.

Anyway, as long as the next Tales effort is decent enough and actually makes it to the West (which could be the case on both counts for the new PSP game), then I'll take solace in the fact that the chances are still moderate for another DS version in the future.

By the way, I'm really enjoying Tales of the Tempest. Personally I don't agree with Famitsu's mediocre review. But hey, reviews are there to be agreed/disagreed with...

cvxfreak

ethelred said:

I don't agree with you here. While we don't actually have any tangible evidence, I don't think it's a bad guess at all.

ethelred

jesusraz said:
Really? Well, knock me down with a feather... :p

It's true. :D

jesusraz said:
Then equally nobody's opinion counts...In other words, it was only a question of preference.

Anyway, as long as the next Tales effort is decent enough and actually makes it to the West (which could be the case on both counts for the new PSP game), then I'll take solace in the fact that the chances are still moderate for another DS version in the future.

My preference is to see lots of high quality, original portable RPGs built around the strengths of the system they're placed on. Namco has decided that it doesn't consider the DS worth that effort -- that's a disappointing stance, but it's the one the company has taken. That's fine -- then my ideal scenario is that their PSP games are smashingly successful so that they decide to devote the necessary developmental manpower and resources to the PSP to create the high quality original Tales game that Tempest should have been.

jesusraz said:
By the way, I'm really enjoying Tales of the Tempest. Personally I don't agree with Famitsu's mediocre review. But hey, reviews are there to be agreed/disagreed with...

Nothing I've been reading about the game... from those who have been playing it... has struck me as impressive, aside from what might be one of Sakuraba's better scores. Beb and John both said that they're having fun with it, and that's great, but at the same time they're indicating that neither the story, nor the gameplay, are particularly good, and the combat system especially sounds like it's really poorly designed (or, at the least, a poorly implemented facsimile of Rebirth) and dumbed down while the menus sound just atrocious.

That's all disappointing to me because I had, at one point, extremely high hopes for an original portable Tales game, so seeing what Tempest has become... has been quite a let down.

cvxfreak said:
I don't agree with you here. While we don't actually have any tangible evidence, I don't think it's a bad guess at all.

Not a bad guess... maybe. But it's not a scenario I see as particularly likely. As I said, I think Namco's made its preferences here quite clear -- the DS has gotten Xenosaga I & II (and we can all judge that one) and Tempest (done by Dimps), while the PSP has just been getting a much stronger effort all around. As long as they see a fairly reasonable return on their three new PSP Tales titles (and I think they will -- not hugely successful like Eternia, but not bad sales, either), I think the most likely outcome is that we'll continue to see Tales development continue on the PSP as Namco's DS support (especially with RPGs) largely dries up or stays confined to really low budget, low effort, outsourced efforts.

Rock_Man

Famitsu Oct 23-29

1 NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Pokemon)
2 NDS Otona no Joushikiryoku Training DS (Nintendo)
3 NDS Tales of the Tempest (Namco)
4 PS2 Utawarerumono (Aqua Plus)
5 PSP Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception (Namco)

6 NDS New SMB (Nintendo)
7 PS2 Ryu ga Gotoku (PS2 the Best) (Sega)
8 PS2 Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: Phantom Blood (Bandai)
9 PS2 PachiPara 13: Super Umi no Pachi-Pro Fuuunroku (Irem)

10 NDS More Brain Age (Nintendo)

bold = new

Branduil

Rock_Man said:
Famitsu Oct 23-29

6 NDS New SMB (Nintendo)

bold = new

They ported Utawarerumono to the PS2?

Pureauthor said:
It deserved approximately 1/4 of those sales.

And nice (if kinda weird) tag.

It deserved no sales. I'm sure they made some profit off that 80K, because the game SCREAMS low budget from every angle, has nothing going for it, basically. Absolutely nothing.

Good to see the awesome Ryu Ga Gotoku (BEST) make its presence know in the charts.

LoL at ToT :lol

Big week, lots of new games, this is going to be a non-stop until January with PS3 and Wii launches plus PS2-NDS-PSP games and X360 Blue Dragon too. Interesting charts FTW!

KINGMOKU

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
LoL at ToT :lol

Big week, lots of new games, this is going to be a non-stop until January with PS3 and Wii launches plus PS2-NDS-PSP games and X360 Blue Dragon too. Interesting charts FTW!
No kidding. It's been so predictable for the past year it seems.

PS3,Wii,DS,PSP, how will they all do?

I could have added the 360 but c'mon. That shipped salied out of port Loooong ago

Those a pretty decent sales I'd say for ToT... at least it's sure to break 100k now. Maybe even 130k. Maybe Namco would then reconsider making an ACTUAL Tales for the DS (I know you'd want it, ethel :p)

moku said:
No kidding. It's been so predictable for the past year it seems.

PS3,Wii,DS,PSP, how will they all do?

I could have added the 360 but c'mon. That shipped salied out of port Loooong ago
PS3 and Wii will sell everything that can be shipped.

I heard on a Japanese free talk forum that Nintendo are intending to ship a large amount of DS' the week PS3 ships, to try and capture people going away empty handed?
Could be crap, but nice idea if tue

DefectiveReject said:
PS3 and Wii will sell everything that can be shipped.

I heard on a Japanese free talk forum that Nintendo are intending to ship a large amount of DS' the week PS3 ships, to try and capture people going away empty handed?
Could be crap, but nice idea if tue

Monologic!

Chris Michael said:
Those a pretty decent sales I'd say for ToT... at least it's sure to break 100k now. Maybe even 130k. Maybe Namco would then reconsider making an ACTUAL Tales for the DS (I know you'd want it, ethel :p)
Did you see first day sales, 1st shipment, other tales games sales, ToT reputation...? Not decent at all, getting worse in fact.

From sinobi, seems Pkmn is already 2.7m, new training 200k, ace combat 50k, utawareruthing 80k, ryu the best 30k...

Btw, I don't think Nintendo needs empty-handed PS3 people to buy their DS...they will sell out before they can even check other lines than the PS3 ones :lol

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Btw, I don't think Nintendo needs empty-handed PS3 people to buy their DS...they will sell out before they can even check other lines than the PS3 ones :lol

Thats what i thought but if you have 1million Yen in your pocket to kit yourself up with a PS3 you may as well spend some on something!!!

PS2 needs to stop releasing all these new games so my Nintendo DS can keep a monopoly on the charts.

I want that Monopoly dammit

bud

Rock_Man said:
Famitsu Oct 23-29

6 NDS New SMB (Nintendo)

bold = new

Only 5 DS games.

THE TIDE IS TURNING

donny2112

Bud said:
Only 5 DS games.

THE TIDE IS TURNING

It's been that way before, IIRC.

If Media-Create keeps the same ordering, then it'll be the first week since Brain Training 1 was released that Brain Training 1, Gentle Brain Training, or Brain Training 2 wasn't in the top 10. Maybe we can add General Knowledge Training to that list to keep the streak going. :lol

Nutter

donny2112 said:
It's been that way before, IIRC.

If Media-Create keeps the same ordering, then it'll be the first week since Brain Training 1 was released that Brain Training 1, Gentle Brain Training, or Brain Training 2 wasn't in the top 10. Maybe we can add General Knowledge Training to that list to keep the streak going. :lol
Did you miss #10 on that list?

More Brain Age = Brain Training 2

donny2112

Nutter said:
Did you miss #10 on that list?

More Brain Age = Brain Training 2

Media-Create separates Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. Therefore, given the exact same ordering, Famitsu #10 = Media-Create #11.

donny2112 said:
Media-Create separates Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. Therefore, given the exact same ordering, Famitsu #10 = Media-Create #11.

I noticed the same thing and was about to act on it before realising the MC/Famitsu difference but you made that post deliberately cryptic to bait someone into the quoted comment - admit it (even a wee bit?) :)

I'd probably throw General Knowledge Training on the list anyway :) - the two lists have been different since we started seeing the early Famitsu data so I imagine they will be this time - not sure whether that means BT2 will be in the top 10 though.

splattergnome said:
homestar.jpg
BALEETED!

As for the DS Lite selling like crazy, this furthers my theory that Myamoto can literally put his own crap into a gamebox and have it sell 100K units in it's first week.

ferrarimanf355 said:
As for the DS Lite selling like crazy, this furthers my theory that Myamoto can literally put his own crap into a gamebox and have it sell 100K units in it's first week.

are you literally saying that the DS Lite is only as good as Miyamoto's shit?

donny2112

lochnesssnowman said:
but you made that post deliberately cryptic to bait someone into the quoted comment - admit it (even a wee bit?) :)

donny2112 said:
If Media-Create keeps the same ordering,

Nothing cryptic about that, I think. Of course, you'd have to realize that Media-Create and Famitsu track Pokemon and Nintendogs differently, though.

Jokeropia

PocketMidget said:
has there even been a week where the DS held all 10 of the top 10?
August 21 - 27

01 NDS Final Fantasy III - 503.051 NEW
02 NDS NEW Super Mario Bros. - 65.556 / 2.901.264
03 NDS Rune Factory - 42.210 NEW
04 NDS Brain Training 2 - 41.784 / 3.073.195
05 NDS Cooking Navi - 37.326 / 384.045
06 NDS Tamagotchi 2 - 30.504 /430.933
07 NDS Mario Basketball 3on3 - 30.355 / 233,762
08 NDS Animal Crossing WW - 30.023 / 3.149.131
09 NDS Brain Training - 22.866 / 2.736.150
10 NDS English Training - 17.465 / 1,401,669

Top Bottom