• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/26 - 3/4

SRG01 said:
Wait, 50k? What the eff?

Okay, so even I knew that Wii demand would start to taper a bit in the future because of the lack of software, but...

50k? What about the Wii selling out everywhere in Japan?

Supply constrained, anyone?

Of course sales would die down; Wii Sports isn't enough to carry it. Wii Play too even more so. Before the PS3 has any killer apps, I'm sure that the Wii will have Animal Crossing or Super Mario Galaxy or Kirby or Animal Crossing or Big Brain Academy.

Kenka

Pureauthor said:
And the DS really has spoiled everyone. 50K a week is considered a disappointment now. :lol

We talked about the Wii. DS at 50k would indeed be monstruous news.

And where the hell is Wii Play ?

Just to tease you, sinobi figures are rounded, maybe Wii is below 50k. OH NO THE DRAMA! :lol

Phenomenal Mana bomb, hell, at least Children of Mana and Dawn of Mana sold well thanks to pricedrops, this one isn't even doing that :lol

Gundam vs SRTW, well, its Famitsu data, which had SRTW above for their first week while MC had Gundam quite ahead of SRTW. Probably Famitsu is downballing SRTW to make up for their error, or maybe MC will make up for theirs putting SRTW ahead of Gundam this week. Gundam is most likely selling to those that couldn't find a copy because the relatively low first shipment, I don't think its going to have legs.

Very good for Yoshi and MHP2.

farnham said:
Yoshi sells at a high pace. It sold 250k and that is more then the Kirby title last year or Catch Touch YOshi
The hot item for this golden Week will probably be Yoshi DS (well deserved:) )

New Super Mario Bros sold 4.2 Million

Heroes of mana sold less then expected. Only 20k were sold despite various price drops. The price will probably drop even further.
DragoN Sakura sold 3k to 5k

■Wii :「Wii 」

New titles did not sell that well. Eyeshield 21 managed to sell 10k but Wii sports and Wii play are still the system sellers.

The system sells about 50k

PSP

Monster Hunter 2 helped its sales once again and it sells about 50k

■PS3 :「PLAYSTATION 3(60GB) 」

Gundam Musou sells 200k LTD

but the PS3 itself shows slow numbers.. its back to where it was 2 weeks ago (20k ish)

What a bad week for everyone.

:lol at the people worrying about the Wiis 50k in sales this week. Its amazing how the DS has raised everyones weekly sales expectations. Before the DS got hot, 50k was a good week; now when a system sells 50k we say o noes, demand dying down, Nintendo third party, etc, etc.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Well to be fair, if we're softening the 50k Wii sales in light of our higher expectations after over a year of insane DS sales then surely we owe the PS3 sales last week a bit more praise? After all it did double its own sales to something a little more healthy...

Not that I'm expecting them to be kept this week, of course. Just, y'know, sayin'. Is all.

Busaiku

Wasn't sinobi's number for Gundam Musou 2 weeks ago 125k or 150k?
So if the LTD is about 200k, than it did pretty well this week too. Probably has some good legs.

SovanJedi said:
Well to be fair, if we're softening the 50k Wii sales in light of our higher expectations after over a year of insane DS sales then surely we owe the PS3 sales last week a bit more praise? After all it did double its own sales to something a little more healthy...

Not that I'm expecting them to be kept this week, of course. Just, y'know, sayin'. Is all.
Perhaps a similar amount of praise as GCN deserved for tripling to 34K when Resident Evil launched? It's all relative. "50K is not bad for a worst week ever." and "40K is not bad for a best week in months." are quite different.

Busaiku said:
Wasn't sinobi's number for Gundam Musou 2 weeks ago 125k or 150k?
So if the LTD is about 200k, than it did pretty well this week too. Probably has some good legs.
It was 170k (for Gundam and SRTW) so I guess its >30k this week but not much more.

Most likely a slow week going by hardware numbers too.

andthebeatgoeson

So, Sony closing the gap? What, do they trip Nintendo at the starting line? Will this week's MC thread be even bigger as we shout down Sony fans who state Sony can turn it around? This will be a good week to see someone pick up the torch to try and make Sony look good.

SuomiDude

Ok, so:

DS 100K? lol
Wii 50K? lol
PSP 50K? lol
PS3 20K? lol
XBox 360 3K (my guess)? lol

Was that all this week? Seriously, looks like Japan had a pretty slow week... for everyone.

Souldriver said:
Exept for PSP, who's doing good numbers thanks to MHP2.
I think it's still bad, it's slowing down from the top numbers this year (from couple of weeks back when MHP2 was released).

SuomiDude said:
Ok, so:

DS 100K? lol
Wii 50K? lol
PSP 50K? lol
PS3 20K? lol
XBox 360 3K (my guess)? lol

Was that all this week? Seriously, looks like Japan had a pretty slow week... for everyone.
Exept for PSP, who's doing good numbers thanks to MHP2.

Loonz

To know if this week's 50k sales figure for Wii is good or bad, we need to know the total weekly shipments that Nintendo is shipping to the japanese market. For comparing reasons, you know. If 50k are still 90% of the shipment... maybe it's just a problem of supply?

I say this because is pretty obvious that they are shipping lots of Wiis to Europe now. I've seen lots of Wii here recently. They are advertising them again in the TV. It isn't a coincidence, NoE is preparing itself for the PS3 launch.

Excuse my terrible engRish, please :p.

lo zaffo

Loonz said:
To know if this week's 50k sales figure for Wii is good or bad, we need to know the total weekly shipments that Nintendo is shipping to the japanese market. For comparing reasons, you know. If 50k are still 90% of the shipment... maybe it's just a problem of supply?

I say this because is pretty obvious that they are shipping lots of Wiis to Europe now. I've seen lots of Wii here recently. They are advertising them again in the TV. It isn't a coincidence, NoE is preparing itself for the PS3 launch.

Excuse my terrible engRish, please :p.
You got the point. I saw Wario Ware Wii advertising on MTV Italy one of last nigths. It still reamins that NoE hadn't pushed Wii very much, but I agree that word of mouth is cheaper. :lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
JoshuaJSlone said:
Perhaps a similar amount of praise as GCN deserved for tripling to 34K when Resident Evil launched? It's all relative. "50K is not bad for a worst week ever." and "40K is not bad for a best week in months." are quite different.

Hey, it's not like I'm normally in it for the positive PS3 spin. Can't say I didn't try, can you? :(

Go Wii!

creamsugar said:
Famitsu last week

1. Yoshi's Island DS (DS)
2. MHP2 (PSP)
3. Gundam (PS3)
4. SRWW (DS)
5. Professor Layton (DS)
6. kenkabancho2 (PS2)
7. DQMJ (DS)
8. Wii Sports (Wii)
9. Pokemon (DS)
10. NewSMB (DS)

i didn't expect such a high position for SRWW, it's a brand that storically drops a lot after the first week. Layton still high, i'm very glad for Level 5 and if 250k are confirmed for Yoshi, it's right who said it will be the top hit for the incoming Golden Week (maybe with PH4)

farnham

Banned
jesusraz said:
After the success of Simcity, ouch for Dragon Zakura! Guess EA doesn't have what it takes to crack the brain crowd...
Dragonzakuraphotos11.jpg

they didnt use this guy in the cover.. the reason of failure..

i only can hope that EA will put her in the cover next time to ensure sales

sh04-01.JPG

just kiddin.. but i heard a suzumiya game is beeing made for a unspecified platform

Kenka

Predictions :

1. DS - 120k
2. Wii - 55k
3. PSP - 41k
4. PS3 - 27k
5. ....

Oh my, Chinese New Year, PS3 launch in Europe, Golden Week coming and still incredible health for the Wii.

Just wondering why the software sales are kinda *hugh*...

Btw, its pretty incredible how next-gen and new-gen are such difficult market for 3rd parties to sell something on them. Still no 200k seller from 3rd parties...well actually there are only Nintendo titles above that amount. I'd say that only Wii Sports and Wii Play are doing good...next-new gen start is very slow and dissapointing imo.

farnham

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Btw, its pretty incredible how next-gen and new-gen are such difficult market for 3rd parties to sell something on them. Still no 200k seller from 3rd parties...well actually there are only Nintendo titles above that amount. I'd say that only Wii Sports and Wii Play are doing good...next-new gen start is very slow and dissapointing imo.
Gundam Musou... it aimed at 2 million though (oh KOEI)

apotema

I think this undershipping is because Fiscal Year ends in March, maybe Nintendo reached its target before and is stocking HW for the next FY, amirite?

Eteric Rice

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Didn't Trauma Center Wii sell 200k? I could have sworn I read that somewhere.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

They have an entire generation to learn

Jiggy

farnham said:
http://batrock.net/animeimages/sh04-01.JPG

just kiddin.. but i heard a suzumiya game is beeing made for a unspecified platform
Oh boy. Assuming that's true, there's some potential to be incredible, such as if it was a music game, or one of the greatest disappointments in history, such as if they tried to make an RPG out of it--I don't even think I can fathom how horrible that would turn out.

Deku

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Is 200k the new the lance stern arbitrary cut off number for greatness?

spwolf

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

thats because there are no really great 3rd party games out. Systems are out for less than 4 months, what exactly do you expect?

3rd parties will not start developing games 2 years before console is out, they simply are not interested in losing money, while 1st party has to release games, even if it means losing money.

I would guess that all 3rd party publishers are waiting until there are more consoles, so their shiny new and very expensive games actually make some money...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
show me a good 3rd party game for Wii and for PS3 (that's not gundam musou)

there are none as far Im concerned, transitions between generations are not always good for 3rd parties

NomarTyme

Error said:

there are none as far Im concerned, transitions between generations are not always good for 3rd parties
How about Trauma center?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Error said:

Ridge Racer 7, Gundam Musou, Virtua Fighter 5, Virtua Tennis 3, Elebits, Trauma Center?

Deku said:
Is 200k the new the lance stern arbitrary cut off number for greatness?
Its the lowest figure possible because Gundam was at 170k. You can change that for 2000m if it makes you feel better.

spwolf said:
thats because there are no really great 3rd party games out. Systems are out for less than 4 months, what exactly do you expect?

3rd parties will not start developing games 2 years before console is out, they simply are not interested in losing money, while 1st party has to release games, even if it means losing money.

I would guess that all 3rd party publishers are waiting until there are more consoles, so their shiny new and very expensive games actually make some money...
Error said:

Sure 3rd parties doesn't like risk and we could question how good have the normal japanese 3rd party have done the transition but still...quite a few big names have been released. Ridge Racer, Armored Core, Virtua Fighter 5, Naruto, New Capcom IPs as Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Elebits...even going with lowered expectations they have done really bad.

Btw, just like we aren't seeing 3rd parties very commited to next-new gen systems, its been a long time since we saw some success for them on domestic consoles, including PS2. Also their commitment there has also dwindled.

I'm not trying to doom them because this is a transition period but...they have done it pretty bad. Its going to take a while for some developers to get things right...

Jammy

Banned
I'm pretty sure Naruto Wii flopped in sales because it sucks. And I'm pretty sure those PS3 games flopped because that seems to be synonymous with the PS3 up to this point in time.

Deku

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Its the lowest figure possible because Gundam was at 170k. You can change that for 2000m if it makes you feel better.

Why would I want do that. I'm not the one pulling arbitrary figures out of my hat to support an untenable feel-good premise that has been beaten to death by better posters.

Top Bottom