• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/12 - 3/18

justchris

No one remembers anything. In January, when Nintendo announced they were increasing production in April, they announced they were increasing it from 1 million per month.

Remember, Nintendo's sales forecasts for the Wii were 6 million sold worldwide by the end of March. Now, take into account that Nintendo always under projects, and the fact they didn't expect to sell out, constantly, in every single region, for 4 1/2 straight months, and that works out. Their production by the end of March should be 7 million (with, I guess, 300k or so still in transport due to slower methods of shipping).

So Wii production in April should be ~1.2-1.5 million (which still probably won't be enough). DS production is currently 2.5 million, but hopefully Nintendo will increase that in April as well, considering that they're still supply constrained in Japan, and they're dropping the Pokebomb in the US, but they haven't officially announced anything.

Vinnk

Pureauthor said:
And by the way Vinnk, be sure to get a copy of Layton if you don't have one yet.

I really should. I have such a big backlog of games now though. Maybe I will get it for my girlfriend. She is almost finished with the second Gyakuten Saiban game.

Anyway.. any other games I should be looking for this week?

bud

davepoobond said:
i will try and explain but this post would be about fifteen paragraphs in length like so have you heard lapsed talks like this a lot and puts periods and stuff usually around here. except a question mark should have gone there instead and i'm just typing typing typing blah blah blah blah the meaning of this post has already been lost already, so i'll just copy and paste it over and over to about the size of a lapsed post.

i will try and explain but this post would be about fifteen paragraphs in length like so have you heard lapsed talks like this a lot and puts periods and stuff usually around here. except a question mark should have gone there instead and i'm just typing typing typing blah blah blah blah the meaning of this post has already been lost already, so i'll just copy and paste it over and over to about the size of a lapsed post.i will try and explain but this post would be about fifteen paragraphs in length like so have you heard lapsed talks like this a lot and puts periods and stuff usually around here. except a question mark should have gone there instead and i'm just typing typing typing blah blah blah blah the meaning of this post has already been lost already, so i'll just copy and paste it over and over to about the size of a lapsed post.

i will try and explain but this post would be about fifteen paragraphs in length like so have you heard lapsed talks like this a lot and puts periods and stuff usually around here. except a question mark should have gone there instead and i'm just typing typing typing blah blah blah blah the meaning of this post has already been lost already, so i'll just copy and paste it over and over to about the size of a lapsed post.

:lol

xaosslug

davepoobond said:

i will try and explain but this post would be about fifteen paragraphs in length like so have you heard lapsed talks like this a lot and puts periods and stuff usually around here. except a question mark should have gone there instead and i'm just typing typing typing blah blah blah blah the meaning of this post has already been lost already, so i'll just copy and paste it over and over to about the size of a lapsed post.i will try and explain but this post would be about fifteen paragraphs in length like so have you heard lapsed talks like this a lot and puts periods and stuff usually around here. except a question mark should have gone there instead and i'm just typing typing typing blah blah blah blah the meaning of this post has already been lost already, so i'll just copy and paste it over and over to about the size of a lapsed post.

:lol :lol :lol

jesusraz said:
Any update on how well Front Mission has been selling? I seriously hope it's not bombed like Heroes of Mana...
It's a port of a remake. Square are probably making pure profit off the thing. If it sells more than 50k lifetime, it's probably paid for the budget of FM DS2.

D.Lo said:
Erm, right. Except that Lapsed wrote his arguments out quite well.

So Lapsed has been banned? I thought he was viral and so disappeared once the wii took off.

In fact there are a lot of mysterious intelligent pro-Nintendo posters on the internet who have disappeared. Maybe they were all viral?

No, there have just been heavy casualties in both the Nintendo and Sony ranks due to the Euro launch. I don't deny there are viral marketeers, every board has them, but I think most of them are smart enough to know when to pull it on back.

As for Lapsed, he did write some well thought out posts, but he also had a nasty habit of disregarding the opinions of others rather smugly and repeating the shite he read in some marketing book ad nauseum. Either one of these things could easily have gotten him bansticked, depending on when/where he did them.

jesusraz

Mr. Pointy said:
It's a port of a remake. Square are probably making pure profit off the thing. If it sells more than 50k lifetime, it's probably paid for the budget of FM DS2.

True, but it'd be so pleasing to see it revive the series since it's such a damn good game! :)

D.Lo said:
Erm, right. Except that Lapsed wrote his arguments out quite well.

So Lapsed has been banned? I thought he was viral and so disappeared once the wii took off.

In fact there are a lot of mysterious intelligent pro-Nintendo posters on the internet who have disappeared. Maybe they were all viral?

Lapsed suffered from the highly infectious disease known as "tardbucket-itis". Couldn't let it spread further to the boards. We've already been hard enough hit as it is.

So is 'tardbucket-itis' the 'quarantine until the symptoms die down' type of disease, or is it more 'we gotta put this one down for the sake of the herd'?

Pureauthor said:
So is 'tardbucket-itis' the 'quarantine until the symptoms die down' type of disease, or is it more 'we gotta put this one down for the sake of the herd'?

Kinda like Bovine TB. All infected specimens must be destroyed and the carcass disposed of with fire.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I noticed that Jarrod hasn't been posting, and realized he was banned. Hope it's not for too long. :/

Jokeropia

Not commenting on Lapsed's ban, but it's kinda funny how these last months have been proving him almost completely right in his arguments. He confidently expected the Wii to dominate and the PS3 to struggle and he seemingly saw it coming before any of us.

bud

Jokeropia said:
Not commenting on Lapsed's ban, but it's kinda funny how these last months have been proving him almost completely right in his arguments. He confidently expected the Wii to dominate and the PS3 to struggle and he seemingly saw it coming before any of us.

wow you are talking about a gaf poster who may or may not live in a basement full of mario puppets or snake puppets. seriously, he isn't micheal pachter or something...lol

Amir0x

Banned
Jokeropia said:

Do i get a medal? Because I expected Ps3's colossal struggle the second that shit was costing 600 dollars. Of course, I don't go around posting excerpts from the BLUE OCEAN STRATEGY BOOKS or IWATA'S 301 WAYS TO FAP OVER A NINTENDO PRODUCT AND NOT BE CAUGHT, but that's probably just semantics.

Jokeropia

bud said:
wow you are talking about a gaf poster who may or may not live in a basement full of mario puppets or snake puppets. seriously, he isn't micheal pachter or something...lol
You're right, his predictions are way more accurate than Pachters. ;)
Amir0x said:
Do i get a medal? Because I expected Ps3's colossal struggle the second that shit was costing 600 dollars. Of course, I don't go around posting excerpts from the BLUE OCEAN STRATEGY BOOKS or IWATA'S 301 WAYS TO FAP OVER A NINTENDO PRODUCT AND NOT BE CAUGHT, but that's probably just semantics.
Now that you mention it, I do seem to recall such posts from you and also that you predicted Wii to be a huge success. Maybe I forgot about it since your phrasing is generally too dramatic to be taken 100% seriously, but sure, you can have a medal too. :D

Amir0x said:

Didn't you also expect the Wii to be a winner by default instead of by its own merits too?

Just saying.

Amir0x said:
Wow -- it sounds like Lapsed was pretty arrogant. Good thing he's banned (permabanned?).

Kafel

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
Wow -- it sounds like Lapsed was pretty arrogant. Good thing he's banned (permabanned?).

it sounds like you're pretty silly, but I've seen a least one of your post to judge.

Evlar

Banned
d[-_-]b said:
How far is Nintendo from there 6 million mark for the Wii didn't they say end of the fiscal year?
They should be right on top of it right now. Six million sold at least. There hasn't been a press release yet though (has there?)

Ryu1999

DeaconKnowledge said:
Didn't you also expect the Wii to be a winner by default instead of by its own merits too?

Just saying.

Don't get Amir0x started on the "merits" of the Wii. It won't end well

Mr. Pointy said:
Amirox said:
IWATA'S 301 WAYS TO FAP OVER A NINTENDO PRODUCT AND NOT BE CAUGHT
I've read that one. Much better than his previous book: BUYING JAPAN ONE HANDHELD AT A TIME.
Actually I really liked Yamauchi's book best: PROPERLY MILKING A CASH COW: GOTTA MILK 'EM ALL

Each book was released in several colors, some colors for paperback and others for hard cover, but each book had hidden chapters exlusive to each color of the book. It was a very good read once you read the whole thing.

Totalriot

ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 Mar 19-25
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/03/28/103,1175072753,69112,0,0.html

1. Musou Orochi (PS2) - NEW
2. Yoshi's Island DS (NDS)
3. Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Goku Densetsu (NDS) - NEW
4. Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS (NDS)
5. Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village (NDS)
6. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (PSP)
7. Wii Sports (Wii)
8. Crayon Shin-Chan DS (NDS) - NEW
9. Wii Play (Wii)
10. New Super Mario Bros. (NDS)

Wow@Layton maintaing in the top 5. It should sell the 500,000 shiped units with ease.

ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 Mar 19-25
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/03/28/103,1175072753,69112,0,0.html

1. Musou Orochi (PS2) - NEW
2. Yoshi's Island DS (NDS)
3. Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Goku Densetsu (NDS) - NEW
4. Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS (NDS)
5. Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village (NDS)
6. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (PSP)
7. Wii Sports (Wii)
8. Crayon Shin-Chan DS (NDS) - NEW
9. Wii Play (Wii)
10. New Super Mario Bros. (NDS)

Wow at Yoshi's Island. I would never have guessed.

NSMB in the top 10 still. heh.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Amir0x said:
You're just jealous of Lapsed

D.Lo

d[-_-]b said:
How far is Nintendo from there 6 million mark for the Wii didn't they say end of the fiscal year?
According to Gamestop, they sold them all and then stopped supply, because it's fun to mess with consumers and this stage of a console was is not pivotal at all.

About Lapsed - does anyone really know why he was banned? he didn't actually say anything offensive. Was it for spam?

Seriously, I'm going to have to Google him now...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Meh... The only problem I had with Lapsed is that he had this bad habit of posting two or three long posts then not answering your questions and just leave the thread. Other than that, I personally think it's a real shame he's banned. He tended to repeat himself, but I found him a really interesting fella.

Haven't you tried to talk with him and see what he could improve on? If not, you should have. I really didn't think he was permabanned :/.

[EDIT] Btw, Amir0x, try and read Blue Ocean Strategy some day. I too thought Lapsed referred to this book a bit too much... Then I bought it and read it. It's a really good read, and it makes you understand that such strategy tends to lead to less PR lies. That's probably why Lapsed didn't mind quoting Iwata and Reggie, I guess.

enishi

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10029190115.html

[PS2] Musou Orichi - 400k
[PS2] Rouge Galaxy DC - 10k

[NDS] Dragon Ball Z RPG - 60k
[NDS] Crayon Shin-chan - 30k
[NDS] Front Mission 1st - 20k
[NDS] Prof. Layton - 50k, LTD > 350k
[NDS] Mojipittan - 60k, LTD ~140k
[NDS] Yoshi's Island DS LTD > 500k

[Wii] Wii Play LTD > 1m (Famitsu number tracking lower than MC)
[Wii] Wario Ware SM LTD < 500k
[Wii] Zelda TP LTD < 500k

[X360] Armored Core 4 - 10k

Hardware
===============
NDS ~150k (shipment increased)
PS3 ~20k

ksamedi

D.Lo said:
According to Gamestop, they sold them all and then stopped supply, because it's fun to mess with consumers and this stage of a console was is not pivotal at all.

About Lapsed - does anyone really know why he was banned? he didn't actually say anything offensive. Was it for spam?

Let us know if you find something, i liked his posts.

Blue Ocean strategy basically boils down to "you'll make more money if you get into areas with little or no competition". Only in the business world could someone get paid to relate this kind of obvious information.

enishi said:

Nice sales.

Um... I have no idea what to make of this, except that Layton and Yoshi's Island are doing great. Is this Front Mission's first week?

[Wii] Wario Ware SM LTD ~500k
[Wii] Zelda TP LTD ~500k

ZELDA 500K!!! Nice!

Um... I dunno what to say without sounding cruel.

Hardware
===============
PS3 ~20k

I should've told my dad to buy Nintendo stock a couple years back...

Sony... :lol

Blue Ocean strategy basically boils down to "you'll make more money if you get into areas with little or no competition". Only in the business world could someone get paid to relate this kind of obvious information.

The study the economics is essentially the study of human behaviour, and humans in general tend to have tunnel vision. If they see competition, their natural tendency is to focus their efforts on beating the competition unless they see they have no chance of doing so - in which case they'll leave and try something different.

That's basically what Nintendo did. The 'Blue Ocean' is a fancy way to validate their vision.

Kafel

Banned
D.Lo said:
About Lapsed - does anyone really know why he was banned? he didn't actually say anything offensive.

D.Lo said:

edit : I find it sad that a member who didn't say shit about one or another company, gaming educated ( he posted in a shmup thread not so long ago ) was banned because he quoted some important CEOs and explained their views instead of posting usual trash based on wind.

ziran

Lapsed is like Obi-Wan, striking him down has made him more powerful! :lol

enishi said:

[Wii] Zelda TP LTD ~500k

Hardware
===============
PS3 ~20k
Nice to see an increase in hardware shipments of DS, although it's still amazing to have over 100k as the norm!

DarkMehm

Zelda (~430k) and Wario (~380k) are nowhere near 500k. I think sinobi is just saying that these two are closing in on the 500k mark and should pass it in the near time.

LOCK

[Wii] Zelda TP LTD ~500k

wow

Putting the numbers on Famitsu's listing we get...

1. Musou Orochi (PS2) - 400,000k
2. Yoshi's Island DS (NDS) - 80,000k?
3. Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Goku Densetsu (NDS) - 60,000k
4. Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS (NDS) - 55,000k?
5. Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village (NDS) - 50,000k
6. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (PSP) - 40,000k?
7. Wii Sports (Wii) - 35,000k?
8. Crayon Shin-Chan DS (NDS) - 30,000k
9. Wii Play (Wii) - 25,000k?
10. New Super Mario Bros. (NDS) - 20,000k?

Kafel said:
edit : I find it sad that a member who didn't say shit about one or another company, gaming educated ( he posted in a shmup thread not so long ago ) was banned because he quoted some important CEOs and explained their views instead of posting usual trash based on wind.

He wasn't banned because of a lack of knowledge or anything. He was banned because he acted like an elitist prick.

Top Bottom