• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/19 - 3/25

ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 Mar 26 - Apr 1
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/04/04/103,1175685845,69609,0,0.html

1. Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ (PS2)
2. Musou Orochi (PS2)
3. Digimon Story (NDS)
4. More English Training (NDS)
5. Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS (NDS)
6. Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village (NDS)
7. Pro Baseball Spirits 4 (PS2)
8. Tamagotchi's Splendid Rainbow-venture (NDS)
9. Yoshi's Island DS (NDS)
10. Fist of the North Star: Shinban no Futazousei - Kengou Retsuden (PS2)
Namco Bandai DS > Nintendo DS :D

English Training opened with >230k btw and going by guesstimation, the sequel is around 100k at best. Not that I complain! :)

creamsugar

Media Create 3/26 ~ 4/1

21 Wii FishingMaster 19000 19000
39 PS3 GundamMousou 8000 238000 
67 Wii FE 4000 122000 
68 Wii Naruto 4000 77000 
98 DS III 2000 1009000 

Wii 51000

yes, it's 3/26 ~ 4/1 number:lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
creamsugar said:
Media Create 3/26 ~ 4/1

67 Wii FE 4000 122000 
68 Wii Naruto 4000 77000 
98 DS III 2000 1009000 

Wii 51000

How could you get MC numbers so early?

creamsugar said:
Media Create 3/26 ~ 4/1

67 Wii FE 4000 122000 
68 Wii Naruto 4000 77000 
98 DS III 2000 1009000 

Wii 51000

Decent numbers for FishingMaster.

Mousou has certainly slown down, that's for sure.

Fire Emblem has actually racked up a decent total, but 4000 is pretty disheartening. Must be the lack of waggle.

creamsugar said:
...MC numbers...
Quite early MC numbers, somehow surprised that #21 sold 19k...

From sinobi, Baseball PS2 40k, PS3 edition 20k, Sony next PS3 promotion is about the sports games (Minna 5, VT3...), seems PS2 and PS3 numbers are very near this week, PSP continues at 40k, Wii 50k...well I think thats all.

ziran

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Namco Bandai DS > Nintendo DS :D

English Training opened with >230k btw and going by guesstimation, the sequel is around 100k at best. Not that I complain! :)
Confirmation 3rd Party sw doesn't sell on Nintendo hw! :lol

creamsugar said:
Media Create 3/26 ~ 4/1

67 Wii FE 4000 122000 
68 Wii Naruto 4000 77000 
98 DS III 2000 1009000 

Wii 51000

Thanks. Nice to get some numbers early.

FE could end up ~140k. Reasonable numbers for Naruto, could manage ~100k when all said and done. Gundam Musou could make ~280k.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Quite early MC numbers, somehow surprised that #21 sold 19k...

From sinobi, Baseball PS2 40k, PS3 edition 20k, Sony next PS3 promotion is about the sports games (Minna 5, VT3...), seems PS2 and PS3 numbers are very near this week, PSP continues at 40k, Wii 50k...well I think thats all.
Not a good sign unless PS2 has had a boost over last week. Has Sony announced anything for Golden Week yet? If they haven't it's crazy not to have anything until the summer, when I'm presuming Everybody's Golf 5 is due, or is it coming sooner?

ziran said:
Not a good sign unless PS2 has had a boost over last week. Has Sony announced anything for Golden Week yet? If they haven't it's crazy not to have anything until the summer, when I'm presuming Everybody's Golf 5 is due, or is it coming sooner?
Orochi didn't boost PS2 even while selling 400k so I guess KH2FM didn't do it either. Both should be around 15k or so I guess.

Bomb...dropped...in PS3...just in time for Golden Week!

26.04. Madden NFL 2007
24.05. NBA Street Homecourt
14.06. Call of Duty 3
14.06. Ninja Gaiden Sigma
28.06. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
xx.06. Folks Soul
xx.07. Wangan Midnight
xx.07. Hot Shots Golf 7

In 2 months and a half, one NBA and one NFL game. Impressive!

The Sphinx said:
If those Wii numbers match the MC numbers then Wii will cross the 1 million YTD mark and be within 2,000 units of crossing the 2 million LTD mark this week.
Those are supposed to be Famitsu numbers from 3/19 - 3/25. You can already compare how they match with the MC numbers.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Orochi didn't boost PS2 even while selling 400k so I guess KH2FM didn't do it either.
Not that it shot it up to 30K or anything, but there was definitely a boost, with PS2 increasing 27% to have its highest numbers in well over a month.

ziran

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Orochi didn't boost PS2 even while selling 400k so I guess KH2FM didn't do it either. Both should be around 15k or so I guess.

Bomb...dropped...in PS3...just in time for Golden Week!

26.04. Madden NFL 2007
24.05. NBA Street Homecourt
14.06. Call of Duty 3
14.06. Ninja Gaiden Sigma
28.06. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
xx.06. Folks Soul
xx.07. Wangan Midnight
xx.07. Hot Shots Golf 7

In 2 months and a half, one NBA and one NFL game. Impressive!
:lol

It's one thing to be outsold by an innovative new console which nobody expected to sell as well as it is doing, but to have Madden 07 as the biggest release for a major holiday in Japan is utterly ridiculous!

At this rate it's not inconceivable to imagine PS3 dropping to ~10k per week!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ziran said:
:lol

It's one thing to be outsold by an innovative new console which nobody expected to sell as well as it is doing, but to have Madden 07 as the biggest release for a major holiday in Japan is utterly ridiculous!

At this rate it's not inconceivable to imagine PS3 dropping to ~10k per week!

It's like they want to lose :lol :lol :lol

My Chemical Mouse said:
So...does 360 have anything that can even remotely help it get atleast to the original Xbox LTD by the end of it's lifetime in Japan?

3k a week.....why even release the next Xbox in Japan? You've tried twice, you've given most of what the Japanese have asked for, yet still failure.

I was going to type a response but

JoshuaJSlone said:
3000 is still quite a step above the 1000 or 2000 the first Xbox was getting in early 2003. Its total is still behind where Xbox was at the same point in its life, but since it's doing better each week, should have a longer life, and should have a few more Blue Dragon-size events, it should pass the first Xbox easily.

ylvis_

Banned
Seems like it was a big week last week, seeing Fishing Master at 21st selling 19k and that there wasn't any Wii games in the top 10.

ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 Mar 26 - Apr 1
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/04/04/103,1175685845,69609,0,0.html

1. Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ (PS2)
2. Musou Orochi (PS2)
3. Digimon Story (NDS)
4. More English Training (NDS)
5. Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS (NDS)
6. Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village (NDS)
7. Pro Baseball Spirits 4 (PS2)
8. Tamagotchi's Splendid Rainbow-venture (NDS)
9. Yoshi's Island DS (NDS)
10. Fist of the North Star: Shinban no Futazousei - Kengou Retsuden (PS2)

whoa looks like Monster Hunter got dropkicked from the top 10

Jokeropia

creamsugar said:
Wii 87704
PS3 18391
Wow.
The Abominable Snowman said:
Is there a hardware quote from last week I missed?
It's the fact that Wii sales jump up and down from week to week (following the shipments) completely unrelated to software releases. This only happens with a system that is sold out.

ITA84

miguel_c_hammer said:
whoa looks like Monster Hunter got dropkicked from the top 10

Well, this week is full of new entries and heavy-hitters, yet I wonder if MHP happens to be sold out.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
DarkMehm said:
according to sinobi DS lite is at ~80k this week.
Wow, low shipments for both the Wii and DS during the last week of March, hopefully things pick up in April.

ziran

Diablos54 said:
I guess they're starting to hold some units back for Golden Week?
I think so, also there's the upcoming release of Pokémon Diamond/Pearl in NA where Nintendo's going to need as many DS Lite's as possible.

EDIT-
jj984jj said:
Well no, but it is the last week of their Fiscal Year so now would be the time they reveal how much more or less they ship for the next year.
Good point. I'm sure the Fiscal Year end has something to do with it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Diablos54 said:
Well no, but it is the last week of their Fiscal Year so now would be the time they reveal how much more or less they ship for the next year.

D.Lo

Check out this joke of a report on gamesindustry.biz:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=23997

Wii still outselling PlayStation 3 in Japan
But gap between Sony and Nintendo narrowing fast

The latest figures from Famitsu publisher Enterbrain have revealed that the Nintendo Wii is outselling PlayStation 3 by two to one in Japan.

As reported by Bloomberg, 1.95 million Wii units were sold in the territory between console launch on December 2 and March 25. The PlayStation 3 went on sale in Japan on November 11, and 812,000 units were sold by March 25.

However, it would appear that the gap between Sony and Nintendo is narrowing. Media Create previously announced that during the last week of January, the ratio of Wii to PS3 units sold was four to one.

Enterbrain figures for Xbox 360 sales were not reported, but Microsoft has yet to secure a foothold in the Japanese market. Sales were boosted in December by the release of platform exclusive Blue Dragon, but generally fail to top four figures on a weekly basis.
So 'the gap between Sony and Nintendo is narrowing' while the Wii is still outselling it every single week? Do these people even do five minutes research?

It's the same ridiculous argument SCEA used when the PSP sold a bit closer to the DS in January (only then because the DS was sold out). I'm pretty sure Nintendo will be happy to be 'losing' in this way!

DarkMehm

Diablos54 said:

Golden Week is extremely overrated here. It's just a week where the sales go up ~50%, so Nintendo doesn't really need to hold back units weeks before.

Diablos54

Smiles and Cries said:
would they do that? if golden week is so important nintendo should ship extra during that period
But can they? That's the thing. They're selling basically 100% of their current shipments anyway. They can't just increase shipments like that.

ziran

D.Lo said:

So 'the gap between Sony and Nintendo is narrowing' while the Wii is still outselling it every single week? Do these people even do five minutes research?

It's the same ridiculous argument SCEA used when the PSP sold a bit closer to the DS in January (only then because the DS was sold out). I'm pretty sure Nintendo will be happy to be 'losing' in this way!
Obviously not :lol

It reminds me of all the dumb reports about Wii's momentum slowing down when it fell to 40-50k a few weeks ago even though it was still selling every unit Nintendo was shipping.

Jokeropia

D.Lo said:

It's doubly stupid, since the previous reports of 4 to 1 ratio was for a single week while the 2 to 1 ratio (which is more like 2.5 to 1) is for lifetime sales. Wii didn't consistently start outselling PS3 by over 3 to 1 until after the holidays when PS3 dropped like a rock, so the lifetime ratio is still lower than the weekly ratio (which currently is around 4 to 1). So in actuality, the gap is widening (both in relative and absolute sales), not narrowing.

Deku

Banned
The way some of these sites has covered the media create sales tend to show their editorial biases or at the very least the agenda of whoever was assigned to write the story. I don't think it's that hard to report facts as is, rather than editorializing on trends that are simply not there. Gamespot had a similar piece about 'slowing' Wii sales earlier in the year.

D.Lo

Deku said:
The way some of these sites has covered the media create sales tend to show their editorial biases or at the very least the agenda of whoever was assigned to write the story. I don't think it's that hard to report facts as is, rather than editorializing on trends that are simply not there. Gamespot had a similar piece about 'slowing' Wii sales earlier in the year.
I agree, in this case a PS3 fanboy incorrectly read something positive about the PS3 into this info, and rushed to report it as such.

But it's pretty awful - the story completely misleads their readers. PS3 fans will read this and assume that the PS3 will overtake the Wii in a few weeks ('closing fast'), which is the exact opposite of reality.

What I want to know is why sales become news just because an American media outlet reports on them. The sales are always freely available in two formats (MC and Famitsu), yet as soon as the NY Times or something reports on them, every major site and blog reports it on.

A much better time to report would have been when the Wii passes the 2 million mark in Japan (in a week?), and a comparison could be made that at current trends the PS3 will take another year to reach that mark. Gamesindustry.biz boy should try and spin that one.

LOCK

If #21 sold 19K then Wii Sports and Wii Play should have done decent even though they are not in the top 10. There are alot of decent sellers this week that are new so that is probably why they have stumbled.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
GreenNight said:
Yeah for all those people who have been waiting for KH Final Mix before investing in a PS2

well, it is #1...so that means people are buying it, and i'm sure there's a percentage of people who didn't have a PS2 at the time that wanted to buy the game or something.

davepoobond said:
well, it is #1...so that means people are buying it, and i'm sure there's a percentage of people who didn't have a PS2 at the time that wanted to buy the game or something.

I'm liable to think there will be a very small bump, but not much. Most of the potential audience for this game should already have a system, unless they've sold it, which is a reasonable possibility.

Evlar

Banned
davepoobond said:
Last week's #1 was Musou Orichi with 406,247 total sales. Weekly sales for PS2 rose by 3640.

I wouldn't expect much.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
The Sphinx said:
Last week's #1 was Musou Orichi with 406,247 total sales. Weekly sales for PS2 rose by 3640.

I wouldn't expect much.

ok

that's why i'm asking. just wondering.

Ngeist

creamsugar said:
Wii 87704
PS3 18391

1175719139_827_.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
davepoobond said:
what's the likelihood of KH Final Mix boosting PS2 sales?

It's a remix of a sequel of a franchise started on the PS2. I'm pretty certain everybody that went and picked it up already have a PS2.

Also, is that the lowest sales for the PS3 in Japan so far? That's pretty dysmal.

Unison said:
PS3 18391

Jeeez... Did PSP ever hit such a low number??
Looking at old Famitsu numbers, it went as far down as 15,883 the week of November 13, 2006. It doubled the next week, though, so that might've been a pre-new color dip? I don't recall.

DarkMehm said:
Golden Week is extremely overrated here. It's just a week where the sales go up ~50%, so Nintendo doesn't really need to hold back units weeks before.

maybe they are holding units for PH4 and FF12RW releases

Fredescu

D.Lo said:
I agree, in this case a PS3 fanboy incorrectly read something positive about the PS3 into this info, and rushed to report it as such.
I reckon they probably looked at something similar to the "don't cross the streams" chart during the gundabump. If you ignored the last few weeks, and looked at everything up until the gundabump, you could easily assume that the gap is "closing fast".

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Hey I know this is a Japanese sales thread, but do you think Pokemon is gonna increase the volume of DS's sold in the US considerably or will the numbers stay nice and steady

Unison

Kodiak said:
Hey I know this is a Japanese sales thread, but do you think Pokemon is gonna increase the volume of DS's sold in the US considerably or will the numbers stay nice and steady

It depends on supply, really.

Looking at old Famitsu numbers, it went as far down as 15,883 the week of November 13, 2006. It doubled the next week, though, so that might've been a pre-new color dip? I don't recall.

Wow, so we'll have to wait and see if if falls lower than that... Signs point to yes.

Joe Molotov

Kodiak said:

It probably won't increase them much, unless Nintendo is shipping more this month.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Why are people saying the Wii numbers are low? I mean, it may still be supply constrained, but it's about par for course with what they usually do with enough Wiis.

dkeane

Oblivion said:
Why are people saying the Wii numbers are low? I mean, it may still be supply constrained, but it's about par for course with what they usually do with enough Wiis.
Who's saying the Wii numbers are low? Isn't this the highest they've been in a while? It'll be interesting to see if supply in Japan is going up since we'll have to wait another month for the US sales.

Edit: oh...
jj984jj said:
Wow, low shipments for both the Wii and DS during the last week of March, hopefully things pick up in April.

Top Bottom