• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/19 - 3/25

Farmboy

Kobun Heat said:
Another thing, since we're all talking about this now, that people seem to miss a lot: the tag line of Blue Ocean Strategy, the book, is "Create Uncontested Market Space And Make The Competition Irrelevant." Note that it says nothing about "Become The #1 Player in Your Industry." You don't do this to "win": you do this because if you do it right, you don't need to win.

That is all to say that -- regardless of Lapsed's opinion that Nintendo is "fighting indifference" and will consider themselves to have failed if they don't sell 100 skillion units -- Nintendo doesn't need to sell more consoles than Sony or Microsoft for this gambit to be successful. All they need to do is create a market that nobody else is in. Callaway didn't "win" with the Big Bertha; Yellow Tail didn't become the number-one maker of wine.

Interesting, then, that as soon as Nintendo decided that they didn't need to sell more consoles than Sony or Microsoft, they found themselves in a position where they might actually do so.

That's true to an extent, although of course Nintendo would still have to sell a healthy absolute amount of software and hardware to their new audience, regardless of whether or not they are the only ones selling to them. To stay in the Blue Ocean metaphor: when the new ocean you've moved to is devoid of fish, it doesn't matter that you're the only fishing boat there.

Of course, the new gamer ocean is obviously filled with plenty of fish, enough for Nintendo to actually outsell the competition in exploiting it, as you say. And I do believe that, while this incredible increase in sales and marketshare wasn't necessary for Nintendo to survive, they were at the very least hoping that this new market was so bountiful that they'd see respectable growth. So they didn't set out to annex their own ocean just to call it their own, they annexed it because it seemed highly lucrative (and yes, it seemed that way largely because no-one else was there, but that's more of a cause than a reason in itself -- semantic though that distinction may be).

Finn

skinnyrattler said:
I had probably 3 NES. I would love for the people who remember to post how many NES' they went thru.
I had two: the original (which conked out) and the revised (bought in the mid 90s) which still works.

ethelred

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I wonder when is SCE planning to have a million seller coming from them on PSP or PS3. You know, they had 10 in PSX.

I don't think things have quite worked out to plan.

skinnyrattler said:
You probably have a good point but I wouldn't bring up multiple console purchases as a negative for the PS1 and then compare it to NES. Blowing on the cartridges was just a mild technical difficulty. I had probably 3 NES. I would love for the people who remember to post how many NES' they went thru.

I've had one, old-style, still works. My grandmother also has one, old-style, not as heavily used, a year older than mine, still works.

Jokeropia

JoshuaJSlone said:
The sum of the Famitsu weekly numbers through March 18 are 1,865,929 and 793,683 respectively, which means the next Famitsu numbers should be in the ranges of 79-89K for Wii and 17.8-18.8K for PS3.
79-89k for Wii suggests that Media Create might have undertracked this week (March 19 - 25) and will have slightly higher Wii sales than Famitsu next week. (March 26 - April 1.)

skinnyrattler said:
You probably have a good point but I wouldn't bring up multiple console purchases as a negative for the PS1 and then compare it to NES. Blowing on the cartridges was just a mild technical difficulty. I had probably 3 NES. I would love for the people who remember to post how many NES' they went thru.

My family still has and uses the same NES we got for Christmas since 1990.

Soul4ger

I'm just going to hop in this thread and say that I'm ecstatic a game like Professor Layton is doing so well for Level-5. What a great little success story that is!

Soul4ger said:
I'm just going to hop in this thread and say that I'm ecstatic a game like Professor Layton is doing so well for Level-5. What a great little success story that is!

They made a good game, they get good sales. :D

skinnyrattler said:

My family still has the NES that we bought Christmas of '90. Still works well.

creamsugar

Famitsu hardware

3/19 ~ 3/25

DSL 158609
Wii 87704
PSP 42226
PS3 18391
PS2 15434
360 3616

So...does 360 have anything that can even remotely help it get atleast to the original Xbox LTD by the end of it's lifetime in Japan?

3k a week.....why even release the next Xbox in Japan? You've tried twice, you've given most of what the Japanese have asked for, yet still failure.

KINGMOKU

creamsugar said:
Famitsu hardware

3/19 ~ 3/25

DSL 158609
Wii 87704
PSP 42226
PS3 18391
PS2 15434
360 3616
Is that the lowest recorded PS3 total yet in Japan?

Good grief.

getbusyliving.jpg

My Chemical Mouse said:
So...does 360 have anything that can even remotely help it get atleast to the original Xbox LTD by the end of it's lifetime in Japan?

3k a week.....
3000 is still quite a step above the 1000 or 2000 the first Xbox was getting in early 2003. Its total is still behind where Xbox was at the same point in its life, but since it's doing better each week, should have a longer life, and should have a few more Blue Dragon-size events, it should pass the first Xbox easily.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
My Chemical Mouse said:
3k a week.....why even release the next Xbox in Japan? You've tried twice, you've given most of what the Japanese have asked for, yet still failure.

I see no dating sims, hentai games, visual novels, and train sims.

All of which can be done on a small budget.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
creamsugar said:
Famitsu hardware

3/19 ~ 3/25

DSL 158609
Wii 87704
PSP 42226
PS3 18391
PS2 15434
360 3616

PS3 wins!!!!

The battle for next gen is over.

creamsugar said:
Famitsu hardware

3/19 ~ 3/25

DSL 158609
Wii 87704
PSP 42226
PS3 18391
PS2 15434
360 3616

This is real reason the PS3 is doing bad IMHO
the Sony fan in Japan has too many sources for the Sony Brand they are use to

apujanata

creamsugar said:
Famitsu hardware

3/19 ~ 3/25

DSL 158609
Wii 87704
PSP 42226
PS3 18391
PS2 15434
360 3616

Wow at DSL, Wii and PS3 sales.
PSP is doing well. Too well, in fact (compared to the S/W sales). Is everyone using PSP to listen to music in Japan ? Any anecdotal experience, japanese GAFers ?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
its pretty interesting to me that the PSP seems to be increasing on its YOY...did they get a price drop there yet for it?

davepoobond said:
its pretty interesting to me that the PSP seems to be increasing on its YOY...did they get a price drop there yet for it?

Not only is it increasing, it's practically destroying it. 120k+ difference this early.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
My Chemical Mouse said:
Not only is it increasing, it's practically destroying it. 120k+ difference this early.

wow. i can't believe that mhp2 is pushing it that much. what else is pushing so many units?

Evlar

Banned
If those Wii numbers match the MC numbers then Wii will cross the 1 million YTD mark and be within 2,000 units of crossing the 2 million LTD mark this week.

ziran

Famitsu Top 10 Mar 26 - Apr 1
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/04/04/103,1175685845,69609,0,0.html

1. Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ (PS2)
2. Musou Orochi (PS2)
3. Digimon Story (NDS)
4. More English Training (NDS)
5. Word Puzzle Mojipittan DS (NDS)
6. Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village (NDS)
7. Pro Baseball Spirits 4 (PS2)
8. Tamagotchi's Splendid Rainbow-venture (NDS)
9. Yoshi's Island DS (NDS)
10. Fist of the North Star: Shinban no Futazousei - Kengou Retsuden (PS2)

LAYTON! LAYTON! LAYTON! LAYTON! LAYTON!

Why in the world has it not been announced for localization? C'mon, Level 5, Atlus, someone...

Thraktor

AniHawk said:

For those too lazy to do the calculation, this is Wii outselling the PS3 by 4.8 to 1, which, if I'm not mistaken, is the highest ratio so far this year. Not to mention that Wii is still supply-constrained.

ziran said:

2. Musou Orochi (PS2)
3. Digimon Story (NDS)

What ? No Wii games ??

creamsugar said:
Famitsu hardware

3/19 ~ 3/25

DSL 158609
Wii 87704
PSP 42226
PS3 18391
PS2 15434
360 3616

I'm a dumbass. It took me awhile to realize why no one was seeing 318,391 like me:lol

ziran said:

2. Musou Orochi (PS2)
3. Digimon Story (NDS)

WTF No Wii Sports or Wii Play?

And Yoshi drops? :(

Top Bottom