• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/5 - 3/11

Moor-Angol said:
After 1st day it already sold more than Sonic Rush on DS...

enishi said:
Consider Sonic Rush on DS, the most popular gaming device in Japan, sold around 50000 copies in Japan (And it was released during the first insane sell period of DS, aka Christmas 2005). I don't think any Sonic title can sell in Japan now...

So, not quite. Off by about 45,000. Unless enishi added one too many zeros.

I didn't know it sold 50k, honestly it's strange cause you can find at low price in Akihabara (i spent 7 euros for a brand new copy in a small shop under the Yamanote Line rail, and usually at that price, around 1000yen, you find games that bombed) and it never appeared in any chart, first half 2006 included.

Anyway, Enishi could be right, i'm talking based only on Famitsu data we have.

Dalthien

Here is the latest chart data that I have for it - Link

24,000 Sonic Rush (Sega) (11/23/05) - rounded off through July 2/06 (MC)

The game essentially would have been done selling by that point. Famitsu might have tracked it a little differently, but it never made any of the charts.

Terrell

elostyle said:
Assuming Wii sellout reports are still true, I'm guessing the following.

Untitled-1.png

Red: Sellthrough of inventory built up before launch.
Blue: Normal shipment rate.
Green: Hold back for paper mario etc?
Thanks Josh
Green shouldn't be labelled "Holdback for Paper Mario", it should be "Holdback for Golden Week". But yeah, the number differential is understandable, Nintendo is having trouble meeting demand, but demand does slow down after the year-end holiday period and Nintendo is shipping what they anticipate to sell in the after-holiday period and any extra consoles they produce beyond those numbers get thrown into a bin to be brought out for the second-biggest consumer holiday in Japan.

I'm posting this in the MC thread since it was really out of place in a goofy console analogy thread.

Ynos Yrros said:
Wii is going down. With it's price and mass appeal, it should be selling at least twice as good as PS3 does. And hell, it doesn't.
If I were Nintendo, the thing I'd be most worried about is that it's only tripled PS3's sales 9 out of its 15 weeks on the market.

nli10

it'll be interesting to see if those missing Wii appear this weekend in the UK to combat the PS3 launch, or whether they save them for a week or so after to reclaim the charts. It'd be funny to outsell the PS3 on its first week - but I don't think they have a AAA Wii title lined up :(

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
elostyle said:
Assuming Wii sellout reports are still true, I'm guessing the following.

Untitled-1.png

Red: Sellthrough of inventory built up before launch.
Blue: Normal shipment rate.
Green: Hold back for paper mario etc?
Thanks Josh

It has been said before, golden week seems to be what the hold back for inventory in Japan.

It is one of the top shopping days of the year in that country. Not to mention everyone is on vacation so they could easily spend time waiting in line for a Wii
or a ds

Totalriot

On a somewhat related note: According to gamefront Level 5 announced it has shipped 500,000 units of Layton Kyouju no Fushigi na Machi.

Great number but I find this kind of strange as they have sold only 266,017 units up to 11. March and we thought it was heavly supply constraint.

Maybe some japanese Gaffer can confirm this announcement?

Meier

Well, Theme Park DS will have a buyer in my girlfriend once it's out here in America (comes out this week, right?) and I'll get Sim City eventually! I actually bought the SNES version on Virtual Console the other day. :)

verplant

Fischbrot said:
Famitsu software charts ?

Famitsu 12.-18.03.

01. NDS Yoshi's Island (Nintendo)
02. NDS Kotoba no Puzzle: Mojipittan DS (Bandai) - NEW
03. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
04. NDS Layton (Level 5)
05. WII Wii Sports (Nintendo)
06. NDS Pokemon (Nintendo)
07. NDS New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
08. WII Wii Play (Nintendo)
09. NDS More Brain Training (Nintendo)
10. PS2 Konjiki no Corda 2 (Koei) - NEW

ksamedi

verplant said:
Famitsu 12.-18.03.

04. NDS Layton (Level 5)

Well, almost all those games have nice long legs, but im happy for Layton and Wiisports to do so well, its deserved.

Evlar

Banned
verplant said:
Famitsu 12.-18.03.

04. NDS Layton (Level 5)
Nintendomination: 80%

Yoshi's Island has strong sexy legs. In fact, most of the top ten shows DS-style longevity, including MHP2 for the PSP which almost certainly burst the 1-million barrier. Only two new games. Wii Sports ranks rather high which spells good news for Wii hardware sales this week. On the other hand, no sign of Sonic in the top ten. Eventually something beyond Wii Sports+Play will have to start selling well... Right?

EDIT: Actually, looking at last week's numbers again, MHP2 may still be a few tens of thousands short of going platinum.

The Sphinx said:
Eventually something beyond Wii Sports+Play will have to start selling well... Right?

Twilight Princess - 400,000+
WarioWare: Smooth Moves - 300,000+
Pokemon Battle Revolution - 200,000+

...not on the scale of Wii Sports/Play, but all three of those titles saw respectable sales considering userbase, their position as launch/near launch titles etc.

Third-party sales have been less impressive, though a number of them ran into the Sports/Play/Zelda/Wario/Pokemon combo and suffered accordingly.

I'm not expecting 3rd party titles for the Wii to crack the media create top 10 and stay there for at least another few months.

It's only been happening with some consistency recently on the DS, and that was after 3rd parties all but wrote off the handheld, saw the monumental sales and shifted development back to the platform. Everything for the Wii is typically an old franchise with traditionally moderate sales (i.e: Sonic), instead of titles tailor made with the systems ease of use in mind, or huge can't miss franchises.

I fully expect the first third party title with consistent legs in Japan to be Dragon Quest Swords.

Jonnyram

Famitsu 12-19 Mar

SW
Yoshi 120k.
Mojipittan 80k.
MH2 portable 50k (total > 1M).
Sonic 10k.

HW
DS lite 120k.
Wii 60k.
PSP 40k.

LTD
Layton 300k
Sim City DS 80k
Heroes of Mana 30k

Kenka

DeaconKnowledge said:
I fully expect the first third party title with consistent legs in Japan to be Dragon Quest Swords.

Do you think so ? Well....Sudoku could do it, if it is good advertised.

jesusraz

Jonnyram said:
Heroes of Mana 30k

So that would mean the game sold roughly the same amount it did in week one. Certainly is promising to see it not just dropped hard. Maybe it'll scrape its way to 100,000 sooner than expected!

Kenka

Good news are coming :

Level 5 liefert über 500.000 Layton Kyouju no Fushigi na Machi aus

21.03.07 - Level 5 gibt bekannt, dass von dem Adventure Layton Kyouju no Fushigi na Machi bislang mehr als 500.000 Einheiten in Japan ausgeliefert wurden. Das Spiel kam am 15.02.07 auf den Markt.

On peut sabrer le champagne. Beau travail Level 5.

Asu usual the source is Gamefront.de

ethelred

jesusraz said:
So that would mean the game sold roughly the same amount it did in week one. Certainly is promising to see it not just dropped hard. Maybe it'll scrape its way to 100,000 sooner than expected!

Once the price gets slashed to 400 yen, yes, absolutely.

Jonnyram said:
Famitsu 12-19 Mar

SW
Yoshi 120k.
Mojipittan 80k.
MH2 portable 50k (total > 1M).
Sonic 10k.

HW
DS lite 120k.
Wii 60k.
PSP 40k.

LTD
Layton 300k
Sim City DS 80k
Heroes of Mana 30k

Yoshi has great legs. It is sure that it will reach the million. Wii has had a bigger shipment this week. The PSP has finally his first (and last ?) million-seller !

Mojipittan did very good on the weekend (first day sales were so-so). Go Namco :)

Gundam Musou and SRTW drop as expected, DQM Joker disappears but god knows why when we're talking about SE...nice to see that Level-5 has been able to produce a good amount of Layton copies. Then again, I may repeat myself but Level-5 has to do a budget version of Layton 1 two weeks before Layton 2 is released (at about 2800Y).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Mojipittan did very good on the weekend (first day sales were so-so). Go Namco :)

Gundam Musou and SRTW drop as expected, DQM Joker disappears but god knows why when we're talking about SE...nice to see that Level-5 has been able to produce a good amount of Layton copies. Then again, I may repeat myself but Level-5 has to do a budget version of Layton 1 two weeks before Layton 2 is released (at about 2800Y).

when will layton 2 hit the shelves ?

Kenka said:
Do you think so ? Well....Sudoku could do it, if it is good advertised.
I don't think so. Sudoku may be popular, but who would want to play Sudoku on a big screen?

BT Sudoku is great bc you can play it on the go.

Sonic only selling 10.000 is quite a bummer for me, even factoring in that Sonic isn't all that popular in Japan etc. As an old Sega fanboy I can't really help it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Sonic should be selling A LOT more. It's such a fun game.

EDIT: Stupid photobucket, fix yourself so my avatar will come back.

Ngeist

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yoshi has great legs. It is sure that it will reach the million. Wii has had a bigger shipment this week. The PSP has finally his first (and last ?) million-seller !

Crisis Core ? Monster Hunter Portable 3 ?

Ngeist said:
Crisis Core ? Monster Hunter Portable 3 ?

Monster Hunter Portable 3 will become million-seller when (and if, don't forget we're talking about Capcom) will be announced. What about FF, don't expect a million. After all, it is not a regular, new, Final Fantasy.

davepoobond said:
roll eyes
Well, it's true. Sales of Crystal Chronicles and Dirge of Cerberus could be added to each other, and they'd still be less than a million. Hell, FF III is a regular FF on a hot system, and it took half a year to reach 1 million.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Monster Hunter Portable 3 will become million-seller when (and if, don't forget we're talking about Capcom) will be announced. What about FF, don't expect a million. After all, it is not a regular, new, Final Fantasy.

Really?

I have been avoiding the PSP for a while and I got to admit that Crisis Core may be the game that will get me to buy it. While it isn't a "main" final fantasy, it looks to be a great Japanese RPG.

We love anything final fantasy, just look at that crap on a stick Dirge of Cerebus and the PS2 sales of it in Japan and the USA.

davepoobond said:
roll eyes

Ok, ok. It is the fourth title of the Compilation of FFVII. What I mean, is that, simply, is not a regular Final Fantasy iteration (i.e. Final Fantasy XIII). Then, remember that it is oriented action-RPG. Will it sell well ? Sure. Will it so as well as a original (traditional, regular...., well, you have understood !) Final Fantasy ? No, of course !

Yoshi ANOTHER potential million seller?

Jeez, Nintendo, this isn't even fair any more. You develop platinum/diamond sellers like it's going out of style! Are you even trying?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
NintendosBooger said:
Yoshi ANOTHER potential million seller?

Jeez, Nintendo, this isn't even fair any more. You develop platinum/diamond sellers like it's going out of style! Are you even trying?

they will now slow down a lil bit i think... till zelda:ph in autumn or late summer...

3rdf partys should really use that time frame :lol

Top Bottom