• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/23 - 4/29

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Miniboss1232 said:
You underestimate GAF's ability to talk very quickly about nothing.

GAF =
seinfeld20menacewf2.jpg

?

Vinnk

Cheesemeister said:
New thread tonight. Since this thread was only going to last two days, I was almost sure it'd be half the normal size.

Cool. Thanks Cheese.

Also, are there any non-nintendo system games someone wants me to look for? I want to be fair to all.

haircut

davepoobond said:
so why doesn't Nintendo make them again? they'd certainly be cheap wouldn't they
Umm.... GBA?

Nintendo pretty much have been making portable Super Nintendos and SNES games for a while, and they made a lot of money doing so.

Scum

Vinnk! \o/

Vinnk said:
Cool. Thanks Cheese.

Also, are there any non-nintendo system games someone wants me to look for? I want to be fair to all.

Non-Nintendo system games, huh?? That's quite hard looking through that Top 50! :lol
How about Madden then? And if there's nothing, how about 'behind that curtain? 8')

AdmiralViscen said:
N64 sold close to 20 million in the US, compared to 5 million in Japan.

GameCube sold 12 million in the US, compared to 4 million in Japan.

D.Lo said:
fanduck said:
Curious though, most consoles tend to sell better in America than in Japan, but DS and Wii seem to be the exception (Wii is about equal).
THat's what makes the Wii so lethal. Even when they failed in Japan and Europe, Nintendo still put on a pretty good show in the US. The N64 was about even with the PS1 in the US (or even ahead in software sales) until the end of 1999.

But now that Japan and Europe are Nintendoland (Japan's in the bag, and Europe's as good as if the DS shows us anything) there's nothing stopping them.

Right. All those stories from Europe of the Gamecube vanishing off the shelves never happened here in the US, obviously, with the GC's much higher level of success (the N64 and GC sold, at best, about as many units in Europe as they did in Japan), and the N64 was strong competition for the PSX for quite a while. Obviously between the N64 and GC Nintendo lost a lot of people, far more than they lost between the SNES (23-24 million sold in the US) and N64, probably thanks to the Xbox (and the sheer dominance of the PS2), but even there the US was by far Nintendo's best territory... even though they likely will win America, they don't need to to do really well worldwide. Not when America never was their biggest problem. They've obviously retaken Japan, but if Nintendo can actually perform well in Europe for the first time ever...

Mithos Yggdrasil said:
In other words, PS3 is Sony's N64: difficult to develop for. I have always said that one conseguence of the PS3's composition would have been a lot of delays. It was inevitable, because of the costs and the intricate architecture.

But will Sony have a region where they do as well as Nintendo did in America with the N64? Right now it's not looking that way...

JavyOO7

Sony will eventually have America as their leading region once a price drop happens. Not to forget all those games they have coming out during the fall. Japan though... oh man, forget about it.

edit: In regards to the DS... I'm not too happy that in the US its trailing in Japan when it comes to sales by 4-6M I believe in overall YTD? I forget...

justchris

Jirotrom said:
It would be hilarious if Nintendo all of a sudden announced tomorrow they would drop the price to 200 dollars. I don't see a price drop for a long time though...I believe the model that Microsoft and Nintendo are trying to emulate is the apple model. Don't price drop just revise.

There is no way in hell Nintendo will drop the price until the console at least stops selling out instantly when it hits store shelves. When you start to see systems readily available, then we can discuss when Nintendo might want to make a price cut. I wouldn't be surprised if their first price drop was Summer 2008.

Interestingly, the DS Lite has been out since March 2006, so it's over a year old, and has not had a price drop yet. The DS had it's first price drop right around now I believe in it's life span (it's second was when the DS Lite was released).

JavyOO7 said:
Sony will eventually have America as their leading region once a price drop happens.

What size price drop are you thinking? Because I don't see any price drop affecting sales of the PS3 in the US until it's at the same price that the 360's at now ($400). And I don't see Sony dropping the price $200 over the course of a year, even after multiple drops.

JavyOO7 said:
Sony will eventually have America as their leading region once a price drop happens. Not to forget all those games they have coming out during the fall. Japan though... oh man, forget about it.

edit: In regards to the DS... I'm not too happy that in the US its trailing in Japan when it comes to sales by 4-6M I believe in overall YTD? I forget...
Not with the 360 around. USA is Wii60 land atm.

JavyOO7

Miniboss1232 said:
What size price drop are you thinking? Because I don't see any price drop affecting sales of the PS3 in the US until it's at the same price that the 360's at now ($400). And I don't see Sony dropping the price $200 over the course of a year, even after multiple drops.

A big one of 200 dollars by Christmas time. I did not mean to say that they'll come out #1 in America, I'm just saying that when we compare PS3 in regards to EUR/JPN/USA, that USA will come out on top for them.

I do see the price drop affecting it sales a bit though. I mean it has to... I think. MGS4/FF13... and those other big games that I forget should be able to move some consoles. If not then yeah they're ****ed.

chibcicylist said:
Not with the 360 around. USA is Wii60 land atm.

Also, what he said.

edit: Ah, I see what Javy is saying. I'm not sure though. I would actually bet more on Europe than the US. But this whole gen is screwed up anyways, so who knows.

JavyOO7 said:
A big one of 200 dollars by Christmas time. I did not mean to say that they'll come out #1 in America, I'm just saying that when we compare PS3 in regards to EUR/JPN/USA, that USA will come out on top for them.

I do see the price drop affecting it sales a bit though. I mean it has to... I think. MGS4/FF13... and those other big games that I forget should be able to move some consoles. If not then yeah they're ****ed.

I don't think MGS4 will move too many consoles. The series isn't really that big of a seller, is it?

JavyOO7 said:

Europe is way, way, WAY more likely to be PS3's biggest market.

JavyOO7

citrus lump said:
I don't think MGS4 will move too many consoles. The series isn't really that big of a seller, is it?

MGS1 = Over 6M (shipped)
MGS2 = Over 7M
MGS3 = Over 3M
(according to Wiki)

I'm surprised MGS2 sold more than 1... regardless, I think MGS4 should be a big seller. If it comes out this fall, it'll be the PS3's marquee title and I would not doubt it should sell atleast over 2M and then sometime next year beat MGS3. I imagine plenty of hardware should be moved as well... atleast enough so that I don't have to be saying the PS3 will go the way of the dodo.

LM4sure

Banned
JavyOO7 said:
MGS1 = Over 6M (shipped)
MGS2 = Over 7M
MGS3 = Over 3M
(according to Wiki)

I'm surprised MGS2 sold more than 1... regardless, I think MGS4 should be a big seller. If it comes out this fall, it'll be the PS3's marquee title and I would not doubt it should sell atleast over 2M and then sometime next year beat MGS3. I imagine plenty of hardware should be moved as well... atleast enough so that I don't have to be saying the PS3 will go the way of the dodo.

Looks like the MGS is not clicking with gamers anymore. MGS3 at 3M. Big difference from MGS2. I dunno. I would not get hopes up for this to move systems.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JavyOO7 said:
MGS1 = Over 6M (shipped)
MGS2 = Over 7M
MGS3 = Over 3M
(according to Wiki)

MGS4 will definitely be a big seller, but 2M start growing to over 3M is a huge stretch; If we very generously say that Sony is at 10M for Christmas, which I think is honestly an impossibility at this point (let's overestimate ridiculously and say 300,000 a month until Christmas in NA, 200,000 a month until Christmas in Japan, somehow 500,000 a month until Christmas in Europe/Other) that would represent a 20 growing to 30% attach rate, which is HIGHLY unlikely. Resistance is around 1.3M worldwide on PS3 sales of 3M, so you're basically arguing that MGS4 is going to attach better than Resistance even though the latter was a killer launch title in a very very very poor launch field.

If you more realistically put the PS3 at around 7M by Christmas, you're proposing a 30% overnight attach rate growing to 35% or so in 2008, which is even less likely.

In my opinion, MGS4 will likely sell around 1.5M or 1.6M through mid-2008; enough to surplant Resistance and move some units, but not enough to do anything huge.

fresquito

MGS4 is positioned to be the worst selling MGS game yet. In fact, Konami should start the porting job as we speak, because it could be a big hit for the company to recover from the investment done.

creamsugar

GW Number (MC)

1. FF12RW - 109,000
2. Super Paper Mario - 90,000
3. Wii Sports - 85,000
4. Yoshi's Island DS - 59,000
5. Wii Play - 59,000
6. Mario VS DK 2 - 58,000
7. BBA Wii - 55,000
8. NSMB - 52,000
9. Momotarou Dentetsu DS - 46,000
10. Brian Age 2 - 44,000

cvxfreak

creamsugar said:
GW Number (MC)

1. FF12RW - 109,000
3. Wii Sports - 85,000
5. Wii Play - 59,000
7. BBA Wii - 55,000
8. NSMB - 52,000
10. Brian Age 2 - 44,000

Link?

teepo

JavyOO7 said:
MGS1 = Over 6M (shipped)
MGS2 = Over 7M
MGS3 = Over 3M
(according to Wiki)

i love how you omited the other 600,000 from the mgs3 numbers that your source included to prove some point that i didn't bother wasting my time reading

creamsugar said:
GW Number (MC)

1. FF12RW - 109,000
3. Wii Sports - 85,000
5. Wii Play - 59,000
7. BBA Wii - 55,000
8. NSMB - 52,000
10. Brian Age 2 - 44,000

Holy shit. Wii hardware at 150K possible!

wow, they really did stockpile these past few weeks.

And wow at the SPM numbers. 600k LTD at the very least. Mario is definitely back.

BBA could potentially stay at that 30k weekly sweet spot for a while

JavyOO7

teepo said:
i love how you omited the other 600,000 from the mgs3 numbers that your source included to prove some point that i didn't bother wasting my time reading

Internets.

edit: Hopefully SPM stays on the charts for a while. I'm eager to see how BBA Wii does.

ethelred

Wow. It looks like Japanese Wii owners don't completely loathe real games after all. I'm glad it's Paper Mario that's selling so well since it's the best game on the system and IntSys deserves to be rewarded for its originality and inventiveness.

Revenant Wings isn't doing too badly. Tracking a decent bit higher than FFTA (280 first week vs. 225, 110 second week vs. 66) -- it should end up between 500 to 600k. Not bad. Better than Zelda, at least!

creamsugar said:
GW Number (MC)

1. FF12RW - 109,000
3. Wii Sports - 85,000
5. Wii Play - 59,000
7. BBA Wii - 55,000
8. NSMB - 52,000
10. Brian Age 2 - 44,000

Numbers are higher than the original sinobi estimates.

JavyOO7

My predictions for hardware would be something like...

DS: 235k
Wii: 140K
PS3: 10k
PSP: 35k

Awesome to see NSMB keeps on trucking. Should hit 5M when it comes to Japan this year...

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
creamsugar said:
GW Number (MC)

1. FF12RW - 109,000
3. Wii Sports - 85,000
5. Wii Play - 59,000
7. BBA Wii - 55,000
8. NSMB - 52,000