• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/23 - 4/29

stewacide

Jirotrom said:
It would be hilarious if Nintendo all of a sudden announced tomorrow they would drop the price to 200 dollars. I don't see a price drop for a long time though...I believe the model that Microsoft and Nintendo are trying to emulate is the apple model. Don't price drop just revise.

I don't see how the Wii could be revised/upgrades (a la DS -to- DS Lite): what could they possibly change/improve? Maybe more flash memory? (like 1/100 users will ever notice) ...And I don't think making it even smaller would impress anyone.

The Wii will get normal price drops: the question is how far off...

cvxfreak

stewacide said:
I don't see how the Wii could be revised/upgrades (a la DS -to- DS Lite): what could they possibly change/improve? Maybe more flash memory? (like 1/100 users will ever notice) I don't think making it even smaller would impress anyone...

The Wii will get normal price drops: the question is how far off...

Just DVD compatibility, which is actually still planned.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If those numbers are correct, then Wii hardware should be absolutely massive.

cvxfreak said:
Just DVD compatibility, which is actually still planned.
And colors. Even though it probably wouldn't have the effect the pink DSlite had, it might still be significan enough to boost sales a little bit. (Look how sought after the black macbook is, even if it's actually not that much better than the white ones, for example)

JavyOO7

Wii will probably get first price drop this Christmas. $200 bucks with a pack in game and new DVD compat would be nice. Depends how hot the thing is selling though. Nintendo had to drop 25 bucks to inject some life to DS in America when PSP came around... correct me if I'm wrong though...

neo2046

where is Cheesemeister ? :D

cvxfreak said:

2007.04.30 ~ 2007.05.06
http://www.gpara.com/ranking/mediacreatebn/ranking_20070510.php

1. NDS FF12RW - 109,000 / 383,000
2. Wii Super Paper Mario - 90,000 / 310,000
3. Wii Sports - 85,000 / 1,544,000
4. NDS Yoshi's Island DS - 59,000 / 791,000
5. Wii Play - 59,000 / 1,279,000
6. NDS Mario VS DK 2 - 58,000 / 233,000
7. Wii BBA Wii - 55,000 / 97,000
8. NDS New SMB - 52,000 / 4,420,000
9. NDS Momotarou Dentetsu DS - 46,000 / 125,000
10. NDS Brian Age 2 - 44,000 / 4,238,000

Eteric Rice

So, is this the first time in history that a company has swept the top 10 for two weeks in a row?

Also, how far does it go? Did they get the top 15 again?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
neo2046 said:

2007.04.30 ~ 2007.05.06

He posts the unrounded numbers, but GODDAMN at those Wii Sports sales.

So much for my week over week prediction *runs*

fresquito

neo2046 said:

2007.04.30 ~ 2007.05.06

Impressive legs for Super Paper Mario. I really didn't expect to do this well at this point.

And BBA selling an increasing number of units reminds me of the first BT. I think it debuted at something like 45k...

Eteric Rice

chibcicylist said:
Bigger flashdrive for VC/downloadable games/trailers/demo/DS demo station would also be cool.

They're supposedly planning a DS demo station for the current model of Wii. Downloadable games are also coming (Impossible Mission will be the first non-vc game that is downloadable).

mj1108 said:
I believe a new one will be created for this week. So that thread shall explode.

My opinion: yes but let cheese make it.
Oh that was the one to which I was referring haha, I assume he will have it up in several minutes

JavyOO7

chibcicylist said:
Bigger flashdrive for VC/downloadable games/trailers/demo/DS demo station would also be cool.

I think 2 remote, a VC controller, and a free 1000 points for VC spending should be required as well... well, atleast the free 1000 points. God knows I could have definitely used those points weeks ago to buy some games...

Tobor

mj1108 said:
I believe a new one will be created for this week. So that thread shall explode.

My opinion: yes but let cheese make it.

I wasn't trying to make it. Just making sure it was still happening.

justchris

JavyOO7 said:
Wii will probably get first price drop this Christmas. $200 bucks with a pack in game and new DVD compat would be nice. Depends how hot the thing is selling though. Nintendo had to drop 25 bucks to inject some life to DS in America when PSP came around... correct me if I'm wrong though...

Let me reiterate. There is no good reason for Nintendo to drop the price on the Wii until it stops selling out. NONE. And therefore, they won't do it. Unless supply meets and exceeds demand, and by a fairly large amount, before Christmas, you won't see a Wii pricedrop until next year. Again, I'm calling it Summer of 2008, probably mid to late June.

For reference, yes, the DS dropped from $150->$130 around when the PSP released. It then dropped from $130 to $100 when the DS Lite released. The DS Lite released at $130 and hasn't had a price drop yet.

apujanata

creamsugar said:
GW Number (MC)

1. FF12RW - 109,000
2. Super Paper Mario - 90,000
3. Wii Sports - 85,000
4. Yoshi's Island DS - 59,000
5. Wii Play - 59,000
6. Mario VS DK 2 - 58,000
7. BBA Wii - 55,000
8. NSMB - 52,000
9. Momotarou Dentetsu DS - 46,000
10. Brian Age 2 - 44,000

Wow at possibility of 100K+ of Wii this week. Will Wii vs PS3 get above 10:1 or even worse ?

Good for SPM to get #2 position.

JavyOO7 said:
The DS price only dropped $20, though there was an SM64 bundle going on shortly before. However, Wii is doing much better than DS was ealry 2005 in the US. Wii has probably sold more in the first 3 months of this year than DS did in all of that year before the price drop. I don't think you'll see a hardware improvement AND price drop together, if either of them at all, considering how demand has been greater than supply so far.
justchris said:
For reference, yes, the DS dropped from $150->$130 around when the PSP released. It then dropped from $130 to $100 when the DS Lite released. The DS Lite released at $130 and hasn't had a price drop yet.
I don't recall an official price drop to $100; thought I saw them for $119, which I guessed was as much a store discount as anything. Anyone got a source on this for future reference?

kisakiproject said:
It'll move a bunch. MGS2 was the big holiday ps2 title of 2001, besides gta and FFX. MGS3 didn't sell as well cause it was a prequel, imo.

Wow, the #3 holiday title on an already successful console! There is no way to measure what effect MGS2 had on hardware sales.

MGS3 wasn't a big mover, that has nothing to do with being a prequel. MGS4 won't push hardware too hard.

JoshuaJSlone said:
The DS price only dropped $20, though there was an SM64 bundle going on shortly before. However, Wii is doing much better than DS was ealry 2005 in the US. Wii has probably sold more in the first 3 months of this year than DS did in all of that year before the price drop. I don't think you'll see a hardware improvement AND price drop together, if either of them at all, considering how demand has been greater than supply so far.

I don't recall an official price drop to $100; thought I saw them for $119, which I guessed was as much a store discount as anything. Anyone got a source on this for future reference?

They didn't drop the original DS price below $130 after the DS Lite came out. Not in the US anyway.

donny2112

Michan said:
8:1 sales mean nothing this early on. When the DS started to outsell the PSP with such great numbers, everybody agreed that it was a fad.

The first time that the DS was > 8 * PSP was the week of May 22-28, 2006 when NSMB was released. The DS has only outsold the PSP 8:1 in Japan five times ever including April 30 - May 6's Media-Create. I don't think anyone was calling the DS a fad when NSMB was released. ;)

The Wii has outsold the PS3 8:1 twice, so far.

Dragona Akehi said:
ethelred said:
Anyone know what gets blood circles out of hardwood flooring?
Lime.

I don't know what's more disturbing. The fact that he asked the question or the fact that you answered so quickly.

:lol

jamesinclair said:
4. PS3 LTD: 861,640

Its May and they havent hit 1 million yet.

DS hits 1 million every month.

The DS has only sold over 1 million in three months, and they are all named December.

Saitou said:
And all threads mentioning him or That Chart Site should be deleted from the forum database. We must stop him from ever existing.

Uh, no. ioi has made some good posts and analyses over the months, but he got myopic with his site to his own detriment.

Dragona Akehi said:

Thanks! :)

NeoGAF is astounding. A thread that comes out every week gets to 24 pages in two days before its successor comes out. :lol

Also, the top 50 with numbers was nice. :D

haircut

haircut said:
Umm.... GBA?

Nintendo pretty much have been making portable Super Nintendos and SNES games for a while, and they made a lot of money doing so.

Mariah Carey said:
They already did; remember the Game Boy Advance?

We were as one, babe,
For a moment in time

<3

moku said:
If by that you mean;

"Lets make it as cheaply as possible, so that if it bombs, we wont lose that much money. After the Gamecube, we have to be carefull".

Then you would be exactly right.

Nintendo had been losing market, AND mindshare with gamers, the public, you name it for years. Nintendo took a massive risk with the Wii, and it paid off. It's one of the riskiest moves in any industry, ever.

NO ONE thought it could work. It has blind-sided the industry as a whole, even Nintendo themselves.

Very rarly does any company in any industry utterly nail it so right. Comapnies spend billions with market research idiots trying to figure out future trends, trying to figure out what people will want years down the road, hoping to nail it.

Nintendo did just that. It's remarkable.
I'm studying marketing right now so this entire situation fascinates me to no end. A few of my professors have even brought the DS and Wii up in class conversation as examples. they don't go into very much detail but it's interesting anyway.

Eteric Rice

bune duggy said:
I'm studying marketing right now so this entire situation fascinates me to no end. A few of my professors have even brought the DS and Wii up in class conversation as examples. they don't go into very much detail but it's interesting anyway.

You should discuss it more, because it's like something from a movie. They went from being no bodies to top dog in under a year.

Something like that doesn't happen every day.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Ah it's such a laugh reading some of the PS3 forum posts...

These one's have cropped up in their sales thread:

hmmm

Sales need to be better than this. The Playsttion cannot fail, for the games industries sake. There will be nothing left of it if the Plystation goes under.

Well there would still be an industry but it will be full of safe-bet hardware - systems designed for short-term impact sporting minimal improvements and maybe packed with a peripheral that could have been included with previous generations, much like the Wii. Also, there will be redesigned externals and nothing real inside, perhaps playing rehashes of the same games we have seen for years but with the word 'New' or 'Lite' added, much like the DS. Sad. As you may have guessed, I consider Nintendo to be a lame company full of essentially nothing new dressed up as the next big thing. Their pre-pubescent following and intellectually stunted grown ups are what floats them along time and again. I wonder when the pokemon edition wii is due... probably 6 months before the Wii HD is released...

:lol

mabuza

Banned
the great thing about this nintendo sucess is that they have rescued the japanese gaming industry. the japanese industry is now very healthy, and that can only be good news for gamers everywhere, since without the japanese in gaming, it just wouldnt be the same.
in a twisted kind of way this will only benefit sony as i'm sure they will take advantage of this resurgence as nintendo have done

TJ Spyke

Geez, it seems like those people on the PS3 forums are worse than those on the Nintendo forums.

For those who know, what is the highest number of sales a game has done in its first week? I would imagine its probably a Dragon Quest game.

Top Bottom