• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/23 - 4/29

gogogow

chibcicylist said:
It's possible that we're seeing the stockpiled units from a few weeks ago.
Possibly, but I don't know about that.
All I know is that the big games aren't released yet and we already see 80k per week.
Just imagine when SSBM, SMG and Animal Crossing and the likes gets out.

The Wii is unstoppable imo. Also Nintendo's lineup is unlimited, well almost.
They have mario kart, nintendogs, FF, DQ, RE, Starfox, Fzero, mariogolf, mario tennis.

Alos don't forget that the 3rd party games are a joke right now, once they realize (very soon) how big the userbase is, they will start making AAA games for the Wii.

andthebeatgoeson

creamsugar said:
Nintendo's GOLDEN WEEK (4/30 - 5/6) :lol

1. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings(DS)
2. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
3. Wii Sports (Wii)
4. Momotarou Dentetsu DS (DS)
5. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii)
6. Yoshi's Island DS(DS)
7. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis(DS)
8. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
9. Wii Play (Wii)
10. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (DS)
Haha, 5 million and counting. 'It's pretty much defined by 5 million little boy's or girl's ability to admire Pokeman'

Haha, down goes Playstation.

andthebeatgoeson

Jirotrom said:
I dont care what anyone says...Nintendo is causing the supply issues themselves, on purpose. The supply issue creates demand for them...if an Item constantly sells out people want it more, if there was a little interest before the sell out there is even more after the sell out...look at the DS which has been supply constrained for nearly 2 years in Japan. The sales have gotten even higher....Nintendo has finally figured out how to sell a product and how to really work the market.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6155922&postcount=760

It needs to be repeated:

NO CONSOLE HAS EVER PRODUCED OR SOLD 6 MILLION CONSOLES WITHIN 5 MONTHS OF LAUNCH IN ANY TERRITORY OR WORLDWIDE. EXCEPT THE WII
NO CONSOLE HAS EVER PRODUCED OR SOLD 6 MILLION CONSOLES WITHIN 5 MONTHS OF LAUNCH IN ANY TERRITORY OR WORLDWIDE. EXCEPT THE WII

Jirotrom

Parl said:
DS has had amazing hardware sales so far. Thing is, it'll sell more if it wasn't supply constrained. But, how much more? Is their demand backlog only a few hundred thousand or maybe nearly a million in Japan? What if Nintendo had some way of discovering just how many people want to get themselves a DS who haven't yet because they're not dedicated enough to find one, and they then magically pop some out of nowhere and do a temporary supply spike to catch up with a demand backlog - how many extra will sell?

If that number is large, then that's an even bigger install base earlier on, and a more front-heavy system which means more software sales overall for the full cycle as somebody who purchases the system in the first few years is more likely to buy more games overall than somebody who purchases it in the later years. So if there's a big backlog, that means that there's less software sold as they pick the system up later than they would if supply wasn't a problem.

If that number is small, this disadvantage is minimal and the positive effects of shortages as perceived by casual observers still persist. But just because you've demanded a product longer, it doesn't mean you get it earlier. It's not first demanded, first served; it's first find, first serve. There's potentially a small percentage of those who want a DS who haven't been able to pick one up for several months who then decide to purchase a PSP or something - not all those who want a DS are non-gamers, of course.

But as the DS is such a phenomenon, increasing supply to meet demand could actually be quite a paradox. More units out there means more word-of-mouth and a wider spread of the DS phenomenon, and thus more demand. There's many who haven't yet, but will, Jump In.

More demand means more sales in reality. But in Nintendoworld, more demand doesn't mean more sales, more sales means more demand.
You make a really good point. The whole word of mouth with Nintendo is definitely strong this gen, a lot of positive buzz for them really.

Dambrosi

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6155922&postcount=760

It needs to be repeated:

I...I'm sorry, but...are you honestly saying, by that statement, that the Wii is the fastest-selling home console ever?

Because I have a hard time believing that...

Dambrosi said:
I...I'm sorry, but...are you honestly saying, by that statement, that the Wii is the fastest-selling home console ever?

unless you have some numbers to prove it wrong why trouble yourself by having a hard time?

laserbeam

Banned
Dambrosi said:

Its been that way Since its launched basically. Nintendo even had a big PR thing about it. Nintendo pre-Production increase was making and selling 1 million a month basically. Its supposed to be up to 1.5-2 million a month produced within a few weeks.

I can see it very easily meeting sales to what they produce still.

Deku

Banned
Dambrosi said:

Yea it is. lol.

thaivo

Dambrosi said:

I don't have any facts to support it other the past PR from Nintendo, but why is it so hard to believe? It has been supply constrained certainly, but only because of the out of this world demand. I do not remember people getting in lines of 60+ for the playstation 2 six months into its life... just didn't happen.

I remember I was there on launch night at Universal City Walk... and the line stretched on forever.. I waited six hours as the line slowly moved, and got zilch... so I ended up sleeping for 30mins, and arriving at Target at 5:00, and was number 63!

On another note, I love these MediaCreate threads... so much entertainment.. lol

CrisKre

Now, with this type of success and all the talk on 3rd party support when it comes to the wii, what do most of you suggest would be the best games from developers that should be appearing on wii? that is not counting new ips which imo would be the most sensible solution to supporting the system.

SQUARE-ENIX
Pretty much dq and ff spinoffs as they are doing to test the waters seems good. I think it would be cost sensitive and appropiate to revive some old PSX franchices (Chrono, Valquire P, Erheiz even... actraiser if i can dream)

SEGA
I think they are nailing it- assuming samba is comming. Panzer or Jet set Radio would be perfect also.

KONAMI
hmmmm, castlevania. Zoe.

CAPCOM
Ookami of course. Redesign Viewtiful Joe to make it fresh again. Dead Phoenix (Kid Ikarus? lol) would be interesting. Id die for an area 88 sequel of sorts, even VC.

NAMCO
Klonoa. Tales of (u know its comming). Ace Combat could work beautifully.

thats all off the top of my head. But i dont think some ips are suitable for the wii de facto, either because of the philosophy behind them -metal gear- or the ususal sellers on nintendo systems -something like dead rising.

Evlar

Banned
Dambrosi said:

It is selling faster in its first five months (worldwide) than NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX, N64, PS2, XBox, XBox 360, GameCube, PS3, and all the minor systems you can think of. It's also selling faster (worldwide) than GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GBA, PSP, and the mighty Nintendo DS. It is the fastest selling console in history.

It's usually slightly behind the PS2 in the week-per-week Japanese sales (comparing the first X weeks of PS2 to the first X weeks of Wii). This masks the fact that the PS2 was released much earlier in Japan than the rest of the world, while Wii had a worldwide launch (within a couple weeks). In worldwide LTD the supply-contrained Wii has no precedent.

davepoobond said:
so why aren't they still making Super Nintendo games since the devcosts are so cheap?

I'll bite.

Because the SNES isn't popular at the moment and consumers wouldn't buy games for it. When consumers move on, so do developers. Sometimes developers try to lead consumers, but ultimately consumers have control.

Tristam

davepoobond said:
so why aren't they still making Super Nintendo games since the devcosts are so cheap?

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing it's because the Super Nintendo is no longer in production and neither the system nor the games are sold at major retail outlets.

The constant pummeling that Sony has been taking since the Wii/DS juggernaut was unleashed has me wondering this...

I wonder if a decade or two in the future young geeks will try to one-up each other by referencing PS3 games the way that some of the younger geeks today talk about the mysterious Jag, 3DO or Master System, like it is something rare and almost mythical.

Eteric Rice

Dambrosi said:

narutoost1kf9.jpg

BELIEVE IT! :D

Evlar

Banned
Dambrosi said:
Hurts? I'm ecstatic (long-timey Ninthing here), just agog.

And I've always wanted to be multiply-quoted, so thanks, everyone! :D
Yeah, it is hard to believe it's doing so well compared to all past systems, and then walk into the local Best Buy and see bare shelves nine times out of ten. Crazy.

A big part of this is that Wii is one of the few systems to have a true worldwide launch (or close enough, within two weeks). That's how it gets ahead of stuff like GBA and PS2. But that just illustrates the production issues... most consoles are released in only one or two territories because they can't make enough hardware or software to support a worldwide launch. Wii is producing as much or more than anyone ever has this early in its life and still sells out.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Dambrosi said:

If not the Wii, then what? If not now, then when?

ksamedi

To get things straight, the Wii isnt underpowered because of Nintendo wanted to lower the dev costs. Its underpowered because the system was designed for non-gamers. Non-gamers would never buy expensive consoles so Nintendo wanted it to be cheap. With that in mind, it wanted the Wii to be placed in the living room so that every family member has acces to it, so they had to make it small and silent. They also wanted the console to be able to stay on for 5 years or more, so they had to make it power efficient for WiiConnect24. And ofcourse they wanted a more powerfull console to still be able to satisfy the core gamers and make games like Galaxy. Put all these into an equation and you have the Wii, small, always on, silent and more power than the Gamecube. Im pretty sure they couldent have added more power with current technology and still be able to meet those criteria.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Tristam said:
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing it's because the Super Nintendo is no longer in production and neither the system nor the games are sold at major retail outlets.

so why doesn't Nintendo make them again? they'd certainly be cheap wouldn't they

Rocksteady33

davepoobond said:
so why doesn't Nintendo make them again? they'd certainly be cheap wouldn't they

BECAUSE THE HARDWARE IS OBSOLETE. It doesn't take a genius to see why rereleasing the SNES would not be a successful business decision. Please stay out MC threads from now on.

Jirotrom

Rocksteady33 said:
BECAUSE THE HARDWARE IS OBSOLETE. It doesn't take a genius to see why rereleasing the SNES would not be a successful business decision. Please stay out MC threads from now on.
Id buy one:D

KINGMOKU

ksamedi said:
To get things straight, the Wii isnt underpowered because of Nintendo wanted to lower the dev costs. Its underpowered because the system was designed for non-gamers. Non-gamers would never buy expensive consoles so Nintendo wanted it to be cheap. With that in mind, it wanted the Wii to be placed in the living room so that every family member has acces to it, so they had to make it small and silent. They also wanted the console to be able to stay on for 5 years or more, so they had to make it power efficient for WiiConnect24. And ofcourse they wanted a more powerfull console to still be able to satisfy the core gamers and make games like Galaxy. Put all these into an equation and you have the Wii, small, always on, silent and more power than the Gamecube. Im pretty sure they couldent have added more power with current technology and still be able to meet those criteria.
If by that you mean;

"Lets make it as cheaply as possible, so that if it bombs, we wont lose that much money. After the Gamecube, we have to be carefull".

Then you would be exactly right.

Nintendo had been losing market, AND mindshare with gamers, the public, you name it for years. Nintendo took a massive risk with the Wii, and it paid off. It's one of the riskiest moves in any industry, ever.

NO ONE thought it could work. It has blind-sided the industry as a whole, even Nintendo themselves.

Very rarly does any company in any industry utterly nail it so right. Comapnies spend billions with market research idiots trying to figure out future trends, trying to figure out what people will want years down the road, hoping to nail it.

Nintendo did just that. It's remarkable.

ksamedi

moku said:
If by that you mean;

"Lets make it as cheaply as possible, so that if it bombs, we wont lose that much money. After the Gamecube, we have to be carefull".

Then you would be exactly right.

Nintendo had been losing market, AND mindshare with gamers, the public, you name it for years. Nintendo took a massive risk with the Wii, and it paid off. It's one of the riskiest moves in any industry, ever.

NO ONE thought it could work. It has blind-sided the industry as a whole, even Nintendo themselves.

Very rarly does any company in any industry utterly nail it so right. Comapnies spend billions with market research idiots trying to figure out future trends, trying to figure out what people will want years down the road, hoping to nail it.

Nintendo did just that. It's remarkable.

Well, i dont know. Since Nintendo has always sold there hardware for a profit, it wouldnt matter too much if it bombed. The whole point is to sell software, and thats why the Wii is like it is, to sell more software, not because Nintendo thought they would lose less money.
The Iwara interviews are quite enlightening if you want to know more about this.

davepoobond said:
Your argument is undercut by the fact that the majority of consumers do not view the system in the way that you do. In fact, it is exactly the Wii's brand that has prevented that and will continue to do so.

iamblades

Just as an aside, I think it is hilarious that as the months of nintendomination go by the Wii gets compared to older and older systems.

First when we weren't sure it was going to be a success it was 2 gamecubes duct-taped together, then it was basically the same thing as a gamecube, then trolls said it had N64 level graphics, now the argument is that Nintendo might as well have just stuck with the SNES.

I assume in two years the trolls will be comparing Wii to Pong or something. Oh wait, I think people have already done that WRT wii sports.

:lol :lol :lol

Innotech

Banned
I think the most impressive thing is that the Wii is selling like this at slightly ABOVE the mass-market magical 200$. The Gamecube was cheaper, yet it sold like shit compared to this. Imagine when the wii hits the 200$ pricepoint or below. Holy shit.

Eteric Rice

iamblades said:
Just as an aside, I think it is hilarious that as the months of nintendomination go by the Wii gets compared to older and older systems.

First when we weren't sure it was going to be a success it was 2 gamecubes duct-taped together, then it was basically the same thing as a gamecube, then trolls said it had N64 level graphics, now the argument is that Nintendo might as well have just stuck with the SNES.

I assume in two years the trolls will be comparing Wii to Pong or something. Oh wait, I think people have already done that WRT wii sports.

:lol :lol :lol

You should see Gamespot's forums.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_topics.php?board_id=314159282

They're melting down like a nuclear power plant.

Vinnk

Ok, this week I will be anecdotally “tracking” the following:

Wii
DS lite
FF12:RW
Panel de Pon
One Piece
Big Brain Academy
GS4

I'll go to the stores after work tonight and then post about it tomorrow.

Will there be a new thread or will this one be continuing for the next few days?

Jirotrom

Innotech said:
I think the most impressive thing is that the Wii is selling like this at slightly ABOVE the mass-market magical 200$. The Gamecube was cheaper, yet it sold like shit compared to this. Imagine when the wii hits the 200$ pricepoint or below. Holy shit.
It would be hilarious if Nintendo all of a sudden announced tomorrow they would drop the price to 200 dollars. I don't see a price drop for a long time though...I believe the model that Microsoft and Nintendo are trying to emulate is the apple model. Don't price drop just revise.

Cheesemeister said:
New thread tonight. Since this thread was only going to last two days, I was almost sure it'd be half the normal size.

You underestimate GAF's ability to talk very quickly about nothing.

Though, to be serious, I do think some of the excitement in both getting Golden Week numbers so soon after the previous numbers and having a build-up after having no numbers last week may have contributed to the length of this thread.

AniHawk said:

Actually, yeah, the chart did it.

Top Bottom