• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

Tobor

Snaku said:
God damn! PSP + PS2 + PS3 sales don't even add up to Wii sales, never mind the DS. :lol

There is absolutely no way in the world to spin this. What could Sony PR even say to defend this?

Speevy

Banned
The Japanese have no love for Western consoles like Microsoft's bulky Xbox 360 and Sony's behemoth Playstation 3.

mj1108

Tobor said:
There is absolutely no way in the world to spin this. What could Sony PR even say to defend this?

PS3 12,974
Xbox360 3,205

Sony issues press release: "PS3 outsells 360 in Japan by over 4:1; Generates more retail dollar revenue than the 360"

iammeiam

mre said:
Well, with a PS3 increase coupled with a Wii decrease, I think we can finally say that the worm has turned, folks.

Given the current rate of the Wii's slide and the PS3's ascent to sales glory, if my numbers are right, the PS3 will start outselling the Wii in 63 or so weeks, less than 2 years into its 10 year life cycle, paving the way for utter domination by the end of the generation. Square-Enix totally saw this coming.

Brak

Vinnk said:
6. “Old Reliable” (The PS3 at Famicom Dojo) has been there since 5 weeks after launch. It is sitting next to a sign that says “Reserve your PS3 now”. This sigh seems to serve no purpose other than to mock this poor machine.
:lol

Thanks Vinnk.

Kaeru

Banned
mre said:
Yeah, I'm at work and missed out. :p

Better late than never, right?

Right?

No, a true gaffer thrives at work.
The only excuse is if you were home making out with your imaginary girlfriend.

cvxfreak

super funk said:
Do my eyes decieve me or did the PS3 get outsold by its obsolete predecessor?

It's been happening in the U.S. too. Don't see why it can't be a possibility in Japan given the software circumstances and all.

Speevy

Banned
super funk said:
Do my eyes decieve me or did the PS3 get outsold by its obsolete predecessor?

It's like the DS, which can play GBA games, so no one buys the GBA anymore. Except the PS2 can't play PS3 games, and...

fresquito

dyls said:
Is it really possible that the DS can sell more this year in Japan than last year? How is it tracking vs. 2006 as of now?
I think it's doing quite better. If I'm not wrong, DS suffered severe shortages until DSLite hit.

Odysseus

Banned
iammeiam said:
Given the current rate of the Wii's slide and the PS3's ascent to sales glory, if my numbers are right, the PS3 will start outselling the Wii in 63 or so weeks, less than 2 years into its 10 year life cycle, paving the way for utter domination by the end of the generation. Square-Enix totally saw this coming.

just for giggles, if wii and ps3 continued to increase/decrease at this week's rate, wii would add almost 2.8 million to its lead before ps3 takes the weekly lead.

and, of course, the week ps3 passed wii, both would sell below 25k.

Atreides

felipeko said:
People seem to buy more software in golden week... Probabily some that didn't have Wii Sports already..

I think that, in festivities, "casual gamers" take a bigger portion of the sales, so it is normal that the games they usually buy have a bigger attach ratio.

justchris

Vinnk said:
6. “Old Reliable” (The PS3 at Famicom Dojo) has been there since 5 weeks after launch. It is sitting next to a sign that says “Reserve your PS3 now”. This sigh seems to serve no purpose other than to mock this poor machine.

Awesome.

Tobor

davepoobond said:
it doesn't play wii games

Media Create said:
ゴールデンウィーク後半もDS、Wiiの強さが光る

上位100タイトルの総販売本数は1,432,561本、前週比101.42%、週間平均比109.35%。毎年、ゴールデンウィーク中に発売される新作がほとんどなく、今年のTOP100は旧作のみで構成された。
 ランキングでは上位をDS、Wiiのタイトルが争うことに。前週発売した『ファイナルファンタジーXII レヴァナント・ウイング』が約10.9万本を販売し、今週も1位をキープ。次いで2位、3位には『スーパーペーパーマリオ』(約9.0万本)、『Wiiスポーツ』(約8.5万本)が続く。上位20位までにDSが16タイトル、Wiiが4タイトルランクインしており、他の機種を寄せ付けることなく、2機種の人気の高さを示すことになった。なお、DSが本格的に普及して以降はゴールデンウィーク中の総販売本数が大幅に増加、今年は前年同時期(約126.5万本)を上回る好成績だった。
 また、メーカー別のシェアでも任天堂が過半数を獲得し、他メーカーを圧倒。「マリオ」シリーズや「脳トレ」などDSやWiiの定番タイトルの販売本数が軒並み上昇しており、ソフトメーカーとしての強さが浮かび上がった。

The strength of DS and Wii shine during the latter portion of Golden Week sales

Sales of the top 100 titles totaled 1,432,561 units, an amount 101.42% of last week's number and 109.35% of the weekly average. Every year, new titles generally aren't released during Golden Week, so the top 100 is comprised of previous releases.

DS and Wii titles are jockeying for the top ranks. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, released last week, sold about 109,000 to keep its #1 position. Likewise, Super Paper Mario (about 90,000) and Wii Sports (about 85,000) continued on. Of the top 20, DS took 16 and Wii took 4 rankings to the exclusion of all other platforms, demonstrating the popularity of the formats. Furthermore, the spread of the DS during Golden Week was quite drastic, causing this Golden Week's total software unit sales to greatly exceed those of the same period last year (about 1,265,000).

Also, Nintendo took the majority publisher marketshare, overwhelming others. Unit sales for the Mario series, Brain Training, and others for DS and Wii rose to the top of the stack.

davepoobond said:
its been going up (albeit not by HUGE amounts) for the past 3 weeks iirc. I dont think it'll fall below 10k. It might be 11k-ish.

But those were the weeks leading up to golden week. Unless I'm overthinking Golden Week's importance, the buildup to it would cause an increase in sales. Conversely, the weeks after it would tend to see lower numbers.

Kind of like how sales are up for a few weeks before Christmas then fall sharply after the holiday is over.

I think it's funny that we're splitting hairs over 1-2k sales - numbers that would typically be "statistical noise" on a Sony home console.

Tobor said:

I don't know, if we can come up with a few obvious ones, I am sure the creative guys at Sony will have breakfast, lunch and dinner spinned up in no time. You just wait, if there's anything i have faith on Sony for, it'd be their ability to spin.

Odysseus

Banned
Forgotten Ancient said:
But those were the weeks leading up to golden week. Unless I'm overthinking Golden Week's importance, the buildup to it would cause an increase in sales. Conversely, the weeks after it would tend to see lower numbers.

Kind of like how sales are up for a few weeks before Christmas then fall sharply after the holiday is over.

I think it's funny that we're splitting hairs over 1-2k sales - numbers that would typically be "statistical noise" on a Sony home console.

right now, ps3 itself amounts to statistical noise in japan

360 is a statistical pin drop

Top Bottom