• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hollywood_mIRC said:
Wii:
- SSB
- Mario
- Wii Sports spinoffs (health, music, whatever)
- Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers

QUOTE]

DQ Swords should be on there as well IMO.

Brak

moku said:
Why is it ridiculous? Explain it to me, from a biusness standpoint why they would, or should?

If they have a game thats in dev, why wouldnt you switch it to the Wii at this point?

I wondered the same thing with certain Gamecube games when it was flaling later in its life.
If there is an audience for your game on a system then you make a game for that system. It's that simple.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
moku said:
Why is it ridiculous? Explain it to me, from a biusness standpoint why they would, or should?

If they have a game thats in dev, why wouldnt you switch it to the Wii at this point?

I wondered the same thing with certain Gamecube games when it was flaling later in its life.

because there's still money to be made from releasing games on the PS3.

Japanese developers will be seen as technically inferior if all they're releasing is Wii games (don't even have to worry about 360 games atm). They need to show that they are at the forefront of this industry and showing powerful software. Do you think it would be a good idea for the Japanese developers to lag behind the Western developers? I dont think it would be.

Brak said:
If there is an audience for your game on a system then you make a game for that system. It's that simple.

and that too.

laserbeam

Banned
Brak said:

only if the audience is sufficient to offset the costs. Especially in the HD age Costs have gone skyhigh

davepoobond

laserbeam said:
only if the audience is sufficient to offset the costs. Especially in the HD age Costs have gone skyhigh

simple solutions:

1. release a downloadable game through the PSN

2. figure out a way to not spend so much money while still exploiting the market the PS3 has created

davepoobond said:
because there's still money to be made from releasing games on the PS3.

Japanese developers will be seen as technically inferior if all they're releasing is Wii games (don't even have to worry about 360 games atm). They need to show that they are at the forefront of this industry and showing powerful software. Do you think it would be a good idea for the Japanese developers to lag behind the Western developers? I dont think it would be.

Your first line makes more sense than your second paragraph.

You know I was hearing about the novelty of the Wii wearing off, and that its a fad.

Well... my housemate and I, had a PS3, we finished 2 games, then it broke, it stopped dertecting the HDD. So we got our money back. We both decided that there were no games of interest to us, and the idea of it was just to say that we had a PS3. The novelty of it wore off really quickly, and were more interested in getting a refund. But the Wii, this thing hasn't worn of us yet. I read the news on it everyday, play wii sports everyday, Zelda again. We have Rayman. I need to get Excite truck. And when people come around, its a blast.

My point being that I don't know why a lot of people think PS3 is a long lasting console, we both got bored of it really quickly. And our 360 is started to gather dust in the last 6 weeks. I think the only reason it has been swtiched on in the last 6-8 weeks is to play DVD's. Hopefully some good games will come out soon. In the mean time if anyone knows where I can find Paper Mario:TTYD (GC, PAL) brand new, and not from Ebay, greatly appreciated.

Brak

laserbeam said:
Well, I was only responding to Moku saying that all 3rd party games should be moved or cancelled. Some games are not a good fit for the PS3 currently and that's why we are seeing so much speculation about FF XIII and other big budget games, but the fact is that certain games WILL sell better on PS3 than on the Wii even with the disparate install bases.

davepoobond said:
i was trying to say they still need to compete on the technical side.

They don't, though. They just need to make money.

But they can still make money on PS3, the way they did with GameCube, XBox, Dreamcast, whatever.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
What the hell? Wii and PS3 are basically the same in terms of number of new games out, but Wii is trouncing PS3, and not even in a way that correlates with the price difference. It's strange but it it seems that Japan has sold its soul to Nintendo just like they did for Sony last gen....perhaps even more so.

Kuramu

Cheesemeister said:
20070430.png
4 Power-pellets, 4 scared ghosts; perfect

davepoobond

AdmiralViscen said:
They don't, though. They just need to make money.

i certainly dont think its that simple. to a certain extent, yes they "just need to make money" but the japanese are always making ultra high tech stuff

Tobor

davepoobond said:
i certainly dont think its that simple. to a certain extent, yes they "just need to make money" but the japanese are always making ultra high tech stuff

The Japanese are all playing Nintendo games.

davepoobond said:

So they have some intrinsic ethnic drive to pursue high-end graphics? They're corporations, they will make games that will make them money. This is not to the exclusion of PS3/360 support, especially for developers that sell games worldwide.

Eteric Rice

I don't care what they do with the PS3, as long as SOMEONE puts some kind of epic RPG on the Wii at some point. That's what I want. :|

Brak

apujanata said:
Up to April 29, 2007, M-create LTD

Code:
DS	 6,974,424 
DSLite	 10,024,629 
GBM	 587,279 
GBA SP	 5,941,230 
GBA	 8,542,613
DS passed 17 million this week then.

HOLY FARKING CRAP!

Snaku

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
I don't care what they do with the PS3, as long as SOMEONE puts some kind of epic RPG on the Wii at some point. That's what I want. :|

There's always Monolith...maybe.

AniHawk said:
There's a pretty good chance the DS LTD will surpass the PS2 LTD this year.

At the rate of weekly sales just before the Golden Week surge, it'll happen in about 22.26 weeks from May 7th, on about October 9th.

Brak

AniHawk said:
Where does the DS end up lifetime if it passes 20 million in 3 years?

30? 35? Could it hit 40?

Wii comparisons: At week 23, Wii is where GCN was at week 102.4 (August 26, 2003), where DS was at week 25.3 (May 24, 2005), where PS2 was week 21.9 (July 29, 2000), and where PSP was week 53.6 (December 15, 2005).

PS3 comparisons: At week 26 (one half year), PS3 is where PS2 was at week 3.2 (March 20, 2000), where PSP was at week 10.8 (February 18, 2005), where GCN was week 15.6 (December 27, 2001), and where Wii was week 4.5 (December 27, 2006).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 11.4/88.6, slightly up for PS3. Total shares are now 26.9/73.1. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this rate, it would take 115.4 weeks (July 21, 2009) to catch up.

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, they meet up in 13.3 weeks (August 6, 2007) at ~20.68 million apiece.

At week 18 of the year, total hardware sales for the year have passed 6 million. Last year that milestone took place week 28. In 2005, week 42.

For the first time in a few months, DS+DSL sold more than in the equivalent week in 2006, and it did it in a big way, outselling last year by 99K. This is the second time DS has ever had two consecutive weeks above 200K outside of December, though the first time it was a combination of some of DS's last big weeks and DSL's first big weeks, 2006-03-27 and 2006-04-03.

dyls said:
Is it really possible that the DS can sell more this year in Japan than last year? How is it tracking vs. 2006 as of now?
At week 18, DS+DSL 2007 is at 2.89 million.
At week 18, DS+DSL 2006 is at 2.23 million.
For DS+DSL 2007 to fall behind 2006, for the rest of the year it would need to average 20K below the equivalent 2006 numbers.
Cheesemeister said:
I love that so much.
moku said:
At this point, I honestly think it would be downright stupid for any third-party developer to release anything on the PS3 in Japan right now. How far down is it from the gamecube now? 200k? 300k? 500k?
At week 26 Famitsu has GCN at 1.22 million, so ~350K. At this point they're both pretty even, hovering around 10K.
Speevy said:
Why doesn't Nintendo really just twist the knife and start releasing port-ups of Mario Kart, Brain Age Wii, and such?
Well, there is Mario Kart 64 on Virtual Console and Big Brain Academy Wii just released, so close enough.
AniHawk said:
They'd need to massively slam on the brakes to prevent it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Brak said:

30? 35? Could it hit 40?

Well, assuming 100k per week every week for three years (not taking into account holidays or other sales spikes), you have 5.2 million a year or ~35 million three years from now. Realistically, though, you'll hit saturation point before then and 100k a week is not a good estimate due to holidays, sales spikes, other hardware launches, etc.

Saitou

Banned
Brak said:

30? 35? Could it hit 40?
How many DSLs do you need to stack on top of another to reach heaven?

That many.

The thing with the DS is there's no obvious drop-out point. It's a handheld system, there's really no need to rush a new generation piece of hardware, especially when you're beating the PSP. The Gameboy lived on for years, why would the DS have to be replaced any time soon?

Based on the way Nintendo have positioned this thing in the marketplace, there's no limit to the potential audience if you can offer good software. You can make fully fledged educational tools, PDA software, all kinds of non-games. There's still price drops and big games to come.

Odysseus

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
PS3 comparisons: At week 26 (one half year), PS3 is where PS2 was at week 3.2 (March 20, 2000), where PSP was at week 10.8 (February 18, 2005), where GCN was week 15.6 (December 27, 2001), and where Wii was week 4.5 (December 27, 2006).

i've been under the impression that ps2 sold through a million at launch in japan. that's an inaccurate belief?

felipeko

Does GC is really the system to compare PS3 to?

GC at least was on par with costs with the other plataforms..

I think it's a much better comparison, in so many ways, with N64...
You know, arrogance, first party being more important and, most important, cost a lot more than develop for other (sucessful) plataform.

So yes, if you think about N64, you can see why (moku says) that PS3 may should not get any games from third parties...

alejob

You know guys, I'm loving the numbers and all(nintendo fanboy here) but I would really like to see the PS3 take off soon. I'd like to have a Wii and PS3 this gen. Hopefully PS3 and 360 will share games so I won't miss much. But I'm not paying $600 for a console.

We need charts!

davepoobond

AdmiralViscen said:
So they have some intrinsic ethnic drive to pursue high-end graphics? They're corporations, they will make games that will make them money. This is not to the exclusion of PS3/360 support, especially for developers that sell games worldwide.

which leads back to not releasing PS3 games in Japan at all since they're still being released in other countries.

Odysseus said:
i've been under the impression that ps2 sold through a million at launch in japan. that's an inaccurate belief?
Someone else pointed out this discrepancy a few weeks back, and we theorized it was a matter of online sales missing from Famitsu numbers. However, Sony's various press sites send some mixed signals:

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=98&NewsAreaID=22
4th MARCH 2000:
PlayStation 2 launches in Tokyo. Sales exceed 980,000 units.

31st MARCH 2000:
SCE announces that over 1.4 million PlayStation 2 consoles have been shipped since launch (0.9 million shipped by traditional retail and 0.4 million units by PlayStation.com)

While the Japanese site doesn't claim that many were shipped on first day...
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html
2000/03/06 720,000 units (Japan only)
2000/03/15 1 million units (Japan only)

At any rate, the numbers I'm using are whatever Famitsu has for that week.

Top Bottom