• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

Kenka

Be careful. Halo 3 doesn't seem to be THAT good.

basically, we can say that it's as far as we see it on screens an HD version of Halo 2 which is truly a bit disppointed. I mean, it could run without any problem on Wii if it was in 480p !

Metroid Prime 3 has the possibility to be visually more impressive and we know few about it except that it will surely kick ass and that it will push FPS experience on Wii to unreached levels. the fact it launches before Halo 3 could be a real pain for Krosoft.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Square2005 said:
With all the discussion of Final Fantasy sales I think I'll finally share my graph I've had for awhile (needs some updating)
This took alotta compiling, research, etc. so please appreciate.
All Square-Enix RPG U.S. sales available since 1989:
In order of release.
So you can make comparisons with the Japanese FF sales...

[Argh the 3 million mark on the far right was cut off.]

Kingdom Hearts is the best selling RPG in America ever!? Holy shit.

StevieP

Banned
I wasn't paying attention to sales charts when Halo 2 dropped. All I can attest to is anecdotal evidence and Halo 3 pre-orders, in terms of Halo's penetration with the current 360 ownership. I'd say GTA will have a greater impact than Halo will on hardware sales, though, and even that's not a sure thing. Never forget that what was popular last gen may not be as popular this gen.

haircut

wtf. FFVII sold so many copies... why is it impossible to find a used one for a reasonable price (less than $20) these days?

Ronok

Square2005 said:
With all the discussion of Final Fantasy sales I think I'll finally share my graph I've had for awhile (needs some updating)
This took alotta compiling, research, etc. so please appreciate.
All Square-Enix RPG U.S. sales available since 1989:
In order of release.
501491516_5b3bf70bd7_o.png

So you can make comparisons with the Japanese FF sales...

[Argh the 3 million mark on the far right was cut off.]

Eh? Kingdom Hearts is SE's best selling game in the US? :-/

Eteric Rice

haircut said:
wtf. FFVII sold so many copies... why is it impossible to find a used one for a reasonable price (less than $20) these days?

I KNOW, huh? I went into a pawn shop and the bastard wanted $50. I was like, "**** no."

Kenka said:
Be careful. Halo 3 doesn't seem to be THAT good.

basically, we can say that it's as far as we see it on screens an HD version of Halo 2 which is truly a bit disppointed. I mean, it could run without any problem on Wii if it was in 480p !

Metroid Prime 3 has the possibility to be visually more impressive and we know few about it except that it will surely kick ass and that it will push FPS experience on Wii to unreached levels. the fact it launches before Halo 3 could be a real pain for Krosoft.
It doesn't matter if it's good or not. hype+360 hive will make sure it sells more than 6M and 1M 360 in September.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I think 360 sales will get a huge boost from Halo 3. Everyone should have learned from Halo 2 not to underestimate the selling power of the franchise. It will be very interesting to see how the hardware sales stack up against each other during this time, but I think Wii will have passed 360 worldwide by September.

Kaeru

Banned
square2005 said:

Awesome.

It's suprising how the sales are from some of what we consider to be the best IPs in the industry.

It is somewhat ironic that Chrono Trigger and Xenogears, who are considered by the hardcore fans to be among the best titles that Squaresoft produced, also are the ones whose sales are among the least impressive.

Krowley

duderon said:
I think 360 sales will get a huge boost from Halo 3. Everyone should have learned from Halo 2 not to underestimate the selling power of the franchise. It will be very interesting to see how the hardware sales stack up against each other during this time, but I think Wii will have passed 360 worldwide by September.

I actually think GTA will be even bigger and 360 will get most of the benefit from it.

But nintendo has SMG and smash brothers and possibly other killer apps that we aren't expecting, so they should be able to compete pretty nicley.

Especially when you consider the fact that they have japan all to themselves. That fact alone makes it very tough for MS to mantain a worldwide lead. Even if the 360 starts outselling the wii in america, it isn't going outsell it by very much.

Eteric Rice

Krowley said:
I actually think GTA will be even bigger and 360 will get most of the benefit from it.

But nintendo has SMG and smash brothers and possibly other killer apps that we aren't expecting, so they should be able to compete pretty nicley.

Especially when you consider the fact that they have japan all to themselves.

Hopefully Japanese devs embrace them again.

I WANT MY JAPANESE SRPGs, ETC. :O

donny2112

Square2005 said:
It's over 3 million and the best selling RPG in the States if you don't include the Pokermans.

Of which there are five that sold better than Kingdom Hearts. ;) Zelda: OoT, too, if you call it an RPG.

AtreyU

Neo Member
Square2005 said:
YES! It's over 3 million and the best selling RPG in the States if you don't include the Pokermans.

Does square own any of the kingdom hearts property or is it basically all disney? will the sequel be made by square or will the sequel be developed by by buena vista?

The question is, is this game coming to wii? Seems a perfect fit and a definite million seller if the kingdom hearts name was attached to it in any way even if square does not develop it.

Jammy said:
jimbo, NPD has 360 at 5.2 million LTD. According to them, Wii is at 2.1 million LTD. Media Create has 360 at .36 million LTD and Wii at 2.37 million.

That's ~5.56 million for 360 between Japan and the U.S.
That's ~4.47 million for Wii between Japan and the U.S.

We all know 360 hasn't had much of a presence in Europe outside of the UK. It's games don't top the charts like Wii Play, Zelda: TP, etc. have for the Wii in regions like France, Norway, etc. The one thing 360 has going is its head start of nearly a year.

But it doesn't matter if your delusional self thinks the 360 is doing better than ass in Europe. The fact is that Wii is outselling the 360 per month in Japan by a bit over 300,000. That gap in the U.S. is an easy couple hundred thousand in the U.S., too, and then there's Europe (because everybody knows Wii sells more than 360 at a weekly rate now).

That's a monthly gain of easily 800,000, and I'm negating Golden Week's effect in Japan, as well as the possibility of increased Wii production from Nintendo.

Within three months the Wii will be the worldwide market leader.

In the U.S., the Wii/360 monthly gap has averaged around 100k/month this year, not 200k. Previous to that 360 sold more (holidays). Not arguing with the gist of your post, though, just pointing it out.

mclem

bmf said:
How do you know it wasn't in development for the PS2 or the PS3? You don't. I would think that they would have started work on DQIX around 11/04, right as VIII was being released. At that point in the Japan, Nintendo was a distant 2nd place, and was destined to stay there as far as anyone knew. At some point, Horii and Wada had to make a platform change. Don't think it can't happen again.
Let's try a bit of guesswork and extrapolation here:

If the game was being produced for PS2, I would guess that they would have pressed on with the project; the engine was mostly in place from DQVIII, there's no denying that the userbase existed, it would probably be a comparatively cheap development project to make a new game with that engine.

If we accept this guess, the fact that they did the change to DS suggests that they were building an engine for a new system at that time, and the upcoming uncertainty about the state of next-gen forced them into putting that engine on hold and shifting to the DS.

I don't believe, as you imply (possibly unintentionally), that in a panic they ported the game to the DS - I don't believe it was anywhere near being a game at that point, instead being a fledgling engine for next-gen systems. I believe they scrapped - or put on hold - that engine and worked on a fresh one for DS. As for the part that makes an engine a game, if it was only at the story development stage then that story could easily be rejigged into the DS engine; if, however, content was being produced, then that'd have to be downgraded or shelved.

Or, of course, they'd been plotting a DS version for longer than we thought.

So in short: It's quite possible that whatever they were developing at that time has little or nothing in common with the DS game that's on the way; depending on how far development had got, it could resurface as DQ10, or an engine used for some other game, or end up consigned to code rot hell.

Jammy

Banned
2600 said:
In the U.S., the Wii/360 monthly gap has averaged around 100k/month this year, not 200k. Previous to that 360 sold more (holidays). Not arguing with the gist of your post, though, just pointing it out.

Ah... then I expect increased Wii shipments to bring that up. :D

Link

The Autumn Wind
Krowley said:
Once GTA and Halo come out, i'm expecting 360 to go into a slightly higher gear for a long time, but mostly it will be in NA and that won't be enough to hold off nintendo's world wide assault.
I'm curious to see what kind of system-selling power the GTA series still has. LCS didn't really do anything for PSP hardware and VCS flat out tanked. I know there's a difference between consoles and handhelds, but it'll be an interesting case study.

(Halo's being discussed by everyone else already, so I'll leave that to them.)

Innotech

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
I had no idea that a) KH was the best selling SE RPG in the States and b) Wii is going to surpass the 360 around summer (possibly).

Excellent.
I can understand why KH was so popular, but myself I hated both games. SOme of the most boring gameplay ever.

Krowley

Link said:
I'm curious to see what kind of system-selling power the GTA series still has. LCS didn't really do anything for PSP hardware and VCS flat out tanked. I know there's a difference between consoles and handhelds, but it'll be an interesting case study.

(Halo's being discussed by everyone else already, so I'll leave that to them.)

I'm thinking, in this case, there really is a difference between consoles and handhelds. It's anecdotal, but I know a bunch of casual and hardcore gamers and nearly all of them are aware of GTA4 and they want it...

Some of them have a wii already and some of them have never expressed any interest in the 360 until this GTA was announced. Word is spreading fast and even very casual gamers are being tempted to buy a 360 for that title.. It's very anecdotal, but most of my predictions on GAF have been based on personal observations like this, so i'm sticking with it.

Kenka

My god how is it possible ? I can almost feel that dawn is closing. I haven't slept a single second because of these ***ing MC numbers and that's my reward : a abyssimal thread about Ntardism and SEnism.

It will reach 2000 messages
:lol

StevieP

Banned
Empty_One said:
*sniff

It was so close to 2000, and the new thread had to go mess everything up.

You can take solace in the fact that it's one of the biggest MC threads ever. That, or experiencing a jimbo meltdown :D

StevieP

Banned
Empty_One said:
It's no fun if it only got there because of random bumps.

Really.

Why do you think we're all waiting for jimbo's return? MC threads have become somewhat dull, despite the brief entertainment the charts bring, without irrational rants. I mean, it's pretty much accepted now that Nintendo has Japan in the bag... what is there to argue, really? :lol

Top Bottom