• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Smiles and Cries said:
what is wrong with this thread today?
jimbo
jimbo said:
So if we are talking about sales, why would Square NOT port a game to the WORLD-WIDE market leader?
Because by the time FFXIII hits the shelves (early to mid 2008 at best), there's about 0 chances out of fifteen bazillions the Xbox360 will still be the worldwide market leader.

Not even talking about the already-mentioned backlash from the japanese FF fans.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
jimbo said:
But so will the 360. Not to mention that any hardcore JRPG fan that's dying to play a JRPG has to be taking a really hard look at the 360 right about now with Eternal Sonata, BD and LO coming out before the end of the year.

YO PANTHER,

You do realize Square sells games OUTSIDE OF JAPAN RIGHT?

So if we are talking about sales, why would Square NOT port a game to the WORLD-WIDE market leader?

YO JIMBO

Why would SE spend money on porting a game ON A SYSTEM THAT WAS OUTSOLD THE FIRST DAY THAT IT HAD COMPETITION?

ksamedi

jimbo said:
But so will the 360. Not to mention that any hardcore JRPG fan that's dying to play a JRPG has to be taking a really hard look at the 360 right about now with Eternal Sonata, BD and LO coming out before the end of the year.

YO PANTHER,

You do realize Square sells games OUTSIDE OF JAPAN RIGHT?

Probably because by the time that game comes out, the WORLD-WIDE market leader will not be the WORLD-WIDE market leader anymore.

laserbeam

Banned
Jimbo World Wide the Wii is expected to take the Crown around July. At that point its pretty much a fight for 2nd place between 360 and the PS3 unless major changes happen to suddenly slow Nintendo down.

jimbo

Banned
Masklinn said:
Yep, because if SE decided to switch the platform for FFXIII (which I don't really completely believe) they sure as hell wouldn't port the PS3 version.

They'd create a new FFXIII, and brand the PS3 version as a spinoff.

And in any case, they definitely wouldn't bother porting it to a platform for which they've developed exactly 0 game so far (and no, the 360 port of a 3 years old PC port of a 4 years old PS2 game doesn't count)

I never said switch, I said port.

And for your info, the latest major announcement to come out of SE was a brand new IP, large budget title WAS JUST ANNOUNCED for BOTH the 360 and the PS3.

I'm sure you'll come up with a perfect explanation of how they'll just cancel this one and port it to the Wii though.

We can keep going round and round....so I will just leave it at this....the reason why FFXIII hasn't already been announced for the 360 is because Sony probably has first dibs on keeping it exclusive. Other than that....this wouldn't even be a topic at the moment.

Threi

notag
hectorse said:
I Really think SE will put FF on the freezer before doing it in the wii.

final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-crystal-bearers-20061215093848672.jpg

WHY HALLO THAR

jimbo

Banned
laserbeam said:
Jimbo World Wide the Wii is expected to take the Crown around July. At that point its pretty much a fight for 2nd place between 360 and the PS3 unless major changes happen to suddenly slow Nintendo down.
:lol :lol

Masklinn

jimbo said:
I'm sure you'll come up with a perfect explanation of how they'll just cancel this one and port it to the Wii though.
Why the **** would they do that? SE has decided that they wouldn't unilaterally support a single platform anymore.

Which is why SE still does and releases games for the PSP for instance.

Doesn't change the fact that there won't be a numbered FF on the xbox360.

Ever.

jimbo

Banned
PantherLotus said:
YO JIMBO

Why would SE spend money on porting a game ON A SYSTEM THAT WAS OUTSOLD THE FIRST DAY THAT IT HAD COMPETITION?

Oh I don't know, for the same reason they're spending money making a BRAND NEW game for that same system?

Just a guess.

jimbo said:

And for your info, the latest major announcement to come out of SE was a brand new IP, large budget title WAS JUST ANNOUNCED for BOTH the 360 and the PS3.

We can keep going round and round....so I will just leave it at this....the reason why FFXIII hasn't already been announced for the 360 is because Sony probably has first dibs on keeping it exclusive. Other than that....this wouldn't even be a topic at the moment.
That one didnt look high budget, actually.

jimbo

Banned
Masklinn said:
Why the **** would they do that? SE has decided that they wouldn't unilaterally support a single platform anymore.

Which is why SE still does and releases games for the PSP for instance.

Doesn't change the fact that there won't be a numbered FF on the xbox360.

Ever.

928330_67388_front.jpg

Sharp

You all don't understand. Those aren't the right numbers. Jimbo has the real numbers. Even if the Wii catches up in July with your numbers it ain't catchin' up for Jimbo.

Masklinn

jimbo said:
Oh I don't know, for the same reason they're spending money making a BRAND NEW game for that same system?
They're making a brand new multiplatform game, they're not risking one of their most prized IPs

AniHawk

jimbo said:

Actually it was probably in development for just the PS3 before they noticed it tanking, and switched it over to the 360 real fast-like recently.

With regards to the 360.... It's supposed to hit 12m by June. The chances of the Wii doubling its sales from March-July are pretty slim, but I doubt the 360 will be the WW market leader by any margin by the end of the calendar year.

laserbeam

Banned
hectorse said:
Currently it's selling a million a month I believe, so yeah, it's very possible

and NOE commented production of Wii was increasing 50% in may. so actual production numbers could be 1.75-20 million from june on and the Gap Worldwide is only around 2.2 million

jimbo

Banned
AniHawk said:
Actually it was probably in development for just the PS3 before they noticed it tanking, and switched it over to the 360 real fast-like recently.

So we actually get PROOF that they are likely to port a game in development for the PS3 to the 360, and NOT scrapping it in favor of a Wii version.....but this can't apply to FFXIII because......? What? What is the difference?

jimbo said:
So we actually get PROOF that they are likely to port a game in development for the PS3 to the 360, and NOT scrapping it in favor of a Wii version.....but this can't apply to FFXIII because......? What? What is the difference?

Cause the WII is like teh fad

PantherLotus said:
YO JIMBO

You guys are being way too harsh on Jimbo. Obviously if SE were to port FFXIII to 360/PC it would be to garner additional sales in Europe/US (where modern FF games traditionally garner 30-50% of their sales), I doubt they have any delusions about the 360 doing anything meaningful in Japan. The Japanese fans would already have purchased the game, their bitching would be meaningless. What are they going to do, boycott SE for 'betraying' Sony?

The 360 version would easily outsell the PS3 version in every other territory based on past precedent, and developers have indicated that it's much easier to port from PS3->360 than the other way around.

As of right now, aside from cancelling the PS3 project altogether and putting it on Wii (a distant fantasy, even with these sales numbers), a 360/PC port would be SE's best bet to maintain healthy sales for the franchise.

Worldwide it's really only a matter of when the Wii will surpass the 360 at this point, not if. Whether that's July, August, September, I mean who really even cares at this point.

Hasn't jimbo been owned on basically every thing he said about the Wii from last year (it would tank in the US after Xmas like the GC, etc. etc. etc.)?

AniHawk

jimbo said:

Hey, Judy, did you hear me say "they're gonna port FFXIII over to the Wii"?

No?

jimbo

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
You guys are being way too harsh on Jimbo. Obviously if SE were to port FFXIII to 360/PC it would be to garner additional sales in Europe/US (where modern FF games traditionally garner 30-50% of their sales), I doubt they have any delusions about the 360 doing anything meaningful in Japan. The Japanese fans would already have purchased the game, their bitching would be meaningless. What are they going to do, boycott SE for 'betraying' Sony?

The 360 version would easily outsell the PS3 version in every other territory based on past precedent, and developers have indicated that it's much easier to port from PS3->360 than the other way around.

As of right now, aside from cancelling the PS3 project altogether and putting it on Wii (a distant fantasy, even with these sales numbers), a 360/PC port would be SE's best bet to maintain healthy sales for the franchise.

Thank you. It's good to see someone else has some sense.

Masklinn

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The 360 version would easily outsell the PS3 version in every other territory based on past precedent
In NA? Sure.

In europe? Doubtful, the 360 doesn't really sell here.

jimbo

Banned
Masklinn said:
In NA? Sure.

More information based on hard factual data. You are just an encyclopedia of videogame facts, aren't ya?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
felipeko said:
Sales in japan:
Code:
Final Fantasy IV				Square		1.43
Final Fantasy V					Square		2.45
Final Fantasy VI				Square		2.55
Final Fantasy VII				Square		4.00
Final Fantasy VIII				Square		3.64
Final Fantasy IX				Square		2.80
Final Fantasy X					Square		3.07
Final Fantasy X-2				Square-Enix	2.41
Final Fantasy XII				Square-Enix	2.33
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154108

Looks like popularity of FF were rising before Sony came in, but FFVII was the peak.. And now its just declining.

final_fantasy_history.png

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Granted i've only been posting for 2 and a half years... but yeesh, has it ever been this bad?

Masklinn said:
In NA? Sure.

360 soft is still smacking PS3 software in the UK for every week that didn't involve the PS3 launch. With PS3 sales (anecdotealy) burning out across the continent similarly to NA and Japan it's hard to fathom the PS3 surpassing the 360's PAL install base before the middle of 2008. It sucks we don't get numbers for Europe.

Fact remains, WW I don't think there's been any significant release that has sold better on PS3 than on 360, and the only game that looks to have a chance is Gundam Mosou (because the 360's so much of a non-factor in Japan it didn't get a release).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm guessing SE may just do a quick sloppy FFXIII 360 port if only because of the power similarities, and pray that it sells somewhat good in NA/Europe.

SE must be shitting bricks right now after checking PS3's performance. And they're probably pissed at Nintendo for going the Wii route, since they can't simply port down the game without any major downgrades.

Top Bottom