• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Sho_Nuff82 said:
360 soft is still smacking PS3 software in the UK for every week that didn't involve the PS3 launch. With PS3 sales (anecdotealy) burning out across the continent similarly to NA and Japan it's hard to fathom the PS3 surpassing the 360's PAL install base before the middle of 2008.
Not saying the opposite, but not saying that either. UK is traditionally close to US tastes, while Spain for example has been long-time sonyland, and france used to be pretty much the only place where Nintendo consoles would still sell decent numbers.
duderon said:
So jimbo, when do you think Wii will pass 360? Don't say never you crazy bastard!!
Well according to jimbo, the wii stopped selling consoles right after christmas.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cvxfreak said:
What the heck happened in this thread? :lol

uh basically what happened was
bike_accident.jpg

Haha, I go to grind achievement points on Crackdown and come back to 3 surprise pages.

How can anyone possibly argue that Wii will not be market leader within half a year? :lol

StevieP

Banned
RiskyChris said:
Haha, I go to grind achievement points on Crackdown and come back to 3 surprise pages.

How can anyone possibly argue that Wii will not be market leader within half a year? :lol

It's a fad... HD penetration... price drops... man, you name it, there WILL be a reason why the Wii will stop selling really really soon.

Jammy

Banned
jimbo, NPD has 360 at 5.2 million LTD. According to them, Wii is at 2.1 million LTD. Media Create has 360 at .36 million LTD and Wii at 2.37 million.

That's ~5.56 million for 360 between Japan and the U.S.
That's ~4.47 million for Wii between Japan and the U.S.

We all know 360 hasn't had much of a presence in Europe outside of the UK. It's games don't top the charts like Wii Play, Zelda: TP, etc. have for the Wii in regions like France, Norway, etc. The one thing 360 has going is its head start of nearly a year.

But it doesn't matter if your delusional self thinks the 360 is doing better than ass in Europe. The fact is that Wii is outselling the 360 per month in Japan by a bit over 300,000. That gap in the U.S. is an easy couple hundred thousand in the U.S., too, and then there's Europe (because everybody knows Wii sells more than 360 at a weekly rate now).

That's a monthly gain of easily 800,000, and I'm negating Golden Week's effect in Japan, as well as the possibility of increased Wii production from Nintendo.

Within three months the Wii will be the worldwide market leader.

Krowley

RiskyChris said:

I think it will be more like 8 or 9 months, but that's a minor quibble.. not an argument.

GTA + Halo are going to sell a lot of 360's in the 4th quarter and it will slow the wii's advance a little bit.

Actually, it could be a whole year I guess.

Xavien

Stumpokapow said:

Wow, i never realised that FFXII sold such a small amount, i guess the Final fantasy franchise really is in decline (on a platform that has sold close to 20million in Japan no less).

I accidentally started this stupid discussion (but not about FF13... FF14 guys, i dunno how you got to FF13, but i suppose its only natural on GAF). S-E is in an extremely hard place right now, it seems their main series is in decline (probably from over-milking and changing tastes in Japan); and to keep FF13 on the PS3 seems financial suicide.

Nintendo seems to be very forgiving of past transgressions, EA of all publishers is making the Wii their main platform this generation (who, didn't put any effort into Nintendo Platforms at all during the GCN and N64-eras), Square-Enix will come round, all it takes is time i guess.

Krowley said:
I think it will be more like 8 or 9 months, but that's a minor quibble.. not an argument.

GTA + Halo are going to sell a lot of 360's in the 4th quarter and it will slow the wii's advance a little bit.

Actually, it could be a whole year I guess.

I think Wii will catch up before the Halo/GTA spike, after which Wii and 360 will be selling almost 1:1 through the holidays.

Wii would win in holidays if there was better supply.

Krowley

RiskyChris said:
I think Wii will catch up before the Halo/GTA spike, after which Wii and 360 will be selling almost 1:1 through the holidays.

Wii would win in holidays if there was better supply.

Yeah that's a possibility... I should probably rephrase what i said..

If wii doesn't pass 360 before the holiday's it won't pass it until next year. I'm still waiting for the wii to slow down a little, but maybe it won't.

I agree that the wii could potentialy outsell 360 over the holiday's but it'll be so close that nintendo won't be making much progress during that period.

Once GTA and Halo come out, i'm expecting 360 to go into a slightly higher gear for a long time, but mostly it will be in NA and that won't be enough to hold off nintendo's world wide assault.

donny2112

AniHawk said:
With regards to the 360.... It's supposed to hit 12m by June.

I see what you did there.

A Wii port of the existing PS3 FFXIII makes no sense. A 360 port of the existing PS3 FFXIII does make sense.

1) It would still be on the PS3 for tradition.
2) $200 less cost of entry to buy the game.
3) 1 million in U.S. sales would be almost guaranteed from the 360.

The only issue is the 360 in Japan, but it'll still be on the PS3 for those who don't want to purchase the 360.

Jammy said:
jimbo, NPD has 360 at 5.2 million LTD. According to them, Wii is at 2.1 million LTD. Media Create has 360 at .36 million LTD and Wii at 2.37 million.

That's ~5.56 million for 360 between Japan and the U.S.
That's ~4.47 million for Wii between Japan and the U.S.

We all know 360 hasn't had much of a presence in Europe outside of the UK. It's games don't top the charts like Wii Play, Zelda: TP, etc. have for the Wii in regions like France, Norway, etc. The one thing 360 has going is its head start of nearly a year.

But it doesn't matter if your delusional self thinks the 360 is doing better than ass in Europe. The fact is that Wii is outselling the 360 per month in Japan by a bit over 300,000. That gap in the U.S. is an easy couple hundred thousand in the U.S., too, and then there's Europe (because everybody knows Wii sells more than 360 at a weekly rate now).

That's a monthly gain of easily 800,000, and I'm negating Golden Week's effect in Japan, as well as the possibility of increased Wii production from Nintendo.

Within three months the Wii will be the worldwide market leader.

This can't be quoted enough for jimbo to see. I'm sick of him accusing people of making up numbers when his claims can't even rely on something 1/360 as reliable as what you just presented.

jimbo

Banned
duderon said:
So jimbo, when do you think Wii will pass 360? Don't say never you crazy bastard!!

Ahem:

Krowley said:
Yeah that's a possibility... I should probably rephrase what i said..

If wii doesn't pass 360 before the holiday's it won't pass it until next year. I'm still waiting for the wii to slow down a little, but maybe it won't.

I agree that the wii could potentialy outsell 360 over the holiday's but it'll be so close that nintendo won't be making much progress during that period.

Once GTA and Halo come out, i'm expecting 360 to go into a slightly higher gear for a long time, but mostly it will be in NA and that won't be enough to hold off nintendo's world wide assault.

My exact sentiments. By the time the Wii gets close, it will be too late. Halo 3 + GTA4 + likely price drop = 360 will outsell Wii basically everywhere except Japan and Germany(since I'm sure Halo and GTA will be banned there).

Threi

notag
AniHawk said:
What? What did I do? 12m is MS's projected sales by the end of their FY (June). Of course, that's only 1.6m for 6 months, but hey!

I thought that was how much consoles they were supposed to ship?

StevieP

Banned
jimbo said:
Ahem:

My exact sentiments. By the time the Wii gets close, it will be too late. Halo 3 + GTA4 + likely price drop = 360 will outsell Wii basically everywhere except Japan and Germany(since I'm sure Halo and GTA will be banned there).

The Wii's 2-3 million units behind the 360 worldwide NOW, while selling 1m+/month. The 360 is selling 200-250k/month in its best market. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

BTW, GTA you can argue with, but Halo? The majority of people who want Halo 3 have an XBox 360 already, I'd bet.

jimbo said:
Ahem:

Why is it "too late"? It's more like a "delay".

pls dont ban jimbo

I put it straight to production. As soon as the baby pikmin mature, the production rate will increase and the Wii will sell like DSL's are.

.... but we must take into account the baby boomers. As soon as everyone has finished saving up for the PS3, the sales will rocket, from then on out, PS3 savings accounts will be at a constant maturation, and PS3 will be sellling like hot cakes. Remember gaffers; twice the price, takes twice the time to save.

jimbo said:
Ahem:

And the Wii will stop selling in the US, right? :lol

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
jimbo said:
Ahem:

k, so you're saying it won't be until 2008. Everyone got that? jimbo doesn't think Wii will pass 360 until 2008. So when it happens in 2007 we can all point and laugh at him.

StevieP

Banned
RiskyChris said:
And the Wii will stop selling in the US, right? :lol

Why is that so difficult to believe? Once people see the graphics on games like Gears of War, Wii Sports will be nothing but a distant memory.

StevieP said:
The Wii's 2-3 million units behind the 360 worldwide NOW, while selling 1m+/month. The 360 is selling 200-250k/month in its best market. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

BTW, GTA you can argue with, but Halo? The majority of people who want Halo 3 have an XBox 360 already, I'd bet.
Are you sure with that statement. As little of a Halo fan I am, it did sell like 7 million each. So if Halo has a fanbase of 7 million, do you honestly believe that they all have 360's. No way.

StevieP said:

Yes, the majority of people who want Halo 3 bought an Xbox for Gears of War, unless theyre going to buy a second Xbox because they are just that darned kooky!

StevieP

Banned
the thoroughbred said:
Are you sure with that statement. As little of a Halo fan I am, it did sell like 7 million each. So if Halo has a fanbase of 7 million, do you honestly believe that they all have 360's. No way.

Well, the 360 is around 9m worldwide, isn't it? I never said Halo won't sell any systems, but as is evidenced by its massive pre-orders, I'd say the 360 hardware is into the hands of most Halo fans already.

With all the discussion of Final Fantasy sales I think I'll finally share my graph I've had for awhile (needs some updating)
This took alotta compiling, research, etc. so please appreciate.
All Square-Enix RPG U.S. sales available since 1989:
In order of release.
501491516_5b3bf70bd7_o.png

So you can make comparisons with the Japanese FF sales...

[Argh the 3 million mark on the far right was cut off.]

Krowley

jimbo said:

Well, we have a slight difference of opinion.. I think eventually the wii should pass the 360, but then again, once Halo and GTA are available, it's hard to predict what effect that might have, especially if there is also a price drop soon.

the fact that the wii is selling in japan while the 360 is a non presence in that territory... That sort of makes it hard for me to find the math were the 360 can mantain a lead for very long, even if it slightly outsells the wii in europe and NA perpetually after halo hits.

You can almost see the writing on the wall that the wii is going to have totally insane japanese numbers once the supply issues are dealt with. In the long term that should make up for any 360 surge in NA.

But i can see the takeover being delayed for a while.

StevieP said:

i'd bet not.

remember what happened to Xbox sales when Halo 2 came out?

people had been saying Halo 2 wouldn't have an impact on Xbox sales because everyone who already liked Halo already had an Xbox.

if you're a halo fan, why buy a 360 before it has... you know... Halo? a three week beta? only the most hardcore would get one for the beta... still leaving a huge chunk of people out there.

wii is definately passing 360 worldwide by the end of the year though...

Krowley

super funk said:
Yes, the majority of people who want Halo 3 bought an Xbox for Gears of War, unless theyre going to buy a second Xbox because they are just that darned kooky!

Maybe because their 360's broke.

Eteric Rice

jimbo said:
Ahem:

And probably around that time, Nintendo will drop some of it's own bombs (Smash Bros, Galaxy, etc).

It's not like they have no killer apps, here. :lol

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
donny2112 said:
I see what you did there.

A Wii port of the existing PS3 FFXIII makes no sense. A 360 port of the existing PS3 FFXIII does make sense.
QFT, and I think it's not only make sense, it's guaranteed that 360 will get a port of FF XIII.
There is no other way for SE to offset FF XIII development cost.

StevieP said:
Why is that so difficult to believe? Once people see the graphics on games like Gears of War, Wii Sports will be nothing but a distant memory.
Correcto mundo. Everyone who wanted to play SSB, has played it dry on the GC, and what could SSBB offer over SSBM anyway, watch nobody will buy it. I doubt it hits a million in each territory. Then MP3: Corruption. The series is on a decline, and once casuals see the graphics enhancement over the previous 2 is so minimal, they will not even want to be mentioned in the same breath as the damn game. I mean How much did MP2 sell anyway. Like 2 million ww. And that was a huge drop compared to the first. So even if the popularity of Wii sustains MP2 levels of sales, its still not much compared to the 1-2 combo of GTA and Halo 3. After the abismal Sunshine, SMG isn't going to garner that much attention, and plus everyones all mario'd out after all the Mario games. There is only so much plumbing one can do, pipes don't break that often you know.

Top Bottom