• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

Tailzo

While some of those "wii is a fad" and "ps3 will take over in 2008" sounds crazy, they do have a lot of info on ps3 Linux stuff. So I registered at the ps3forum even if it has some crazy members.

But yeah, the future of ps3 seems shady now. I don't like that, even if I own all current gen consoles. I want great games for all of them.

Xavien

Nintendo Top 21 wow...

Makes me want to mention a "certain" train, can we do it yet mods!? :lol

Game, Set, Match
Winner: Nintendo.

P.S. Nintendo has dominated much more than this in 2006 with the DS alone, i seem to remember a Nintendo Top 40+ with only DS titles. I guess it carries more weight now because the PS3 and Wii are out, but still, I'm not 'that' surprised.

Xavien said:
Nintendo Top 21 wow...

Makes me want to mention a "certain" train, can we do it yet mods!? :lol

Game, Set, Match
Winner: Nintendo.

P.S. Nintendo has dominated much more than this in 2006 with the DS alone, i seem to remember a Nintendo Top 40+ with only DS titles. I guess it carries more weight now because the PS3 and Wii are out, but still, I'm not 'that' surprised.

I think the S-E Party single-handedly derailed that certain train.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Stop It said:
So you posted the Nintendo top 20, what about all format? you also forgot the PS3 chart, oh, wait....

Nintendomination total, I was called out for saying the Wii would sell 150k this week, it seems like I'm not going to be that far off, heh :)

chibcicylist said:
I think you need to quote yourself and the link to that prediction for full effect.

Ok..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6336362#post6336362

Stop It said:
I expect Wii at 150k for GW, and maybe, just maybe 30k for PS3, 360 sounds about right, oh, and 250k DS Lites to be sold, seriously.

My edit was for an over exuberant prediction on the DS for 500k, :p

Xavien

Alkaliine said:

I guess, but there's still hope. Even so, i really don't know what is going through SE's heads at this point, do the charts go to Sony before being put infront of the SE boss's faces?

SE thinks it can control the market with DQ and FF and they would be wrong.

Vagabundo

Alkaliine said:

Train is too big to be derailed. it will move without rails, right through mountains.

SE party is just a blip, they will come around to the RIGHT way of thinking soon. Just let them get burned a little, they will come whimpering back to lick Iwata's hand.

ziran

Amazing to see the entire Top 20 on Nintendo systems!

I didn't expect a return to dominance to be so swift. Also, incredible sales for Wii Sports and deservedly so, should be another big week for Wii hw. From what I remember reading in addition to One Piece's shipment being only 50K and selling out, a new shipment wasn't going to be available until after Golden Week, so it could rebound next week.

Seeing this chart really shows how strong Nintendo is in Japan, I mean, saying they could go it alone wouldn't be too far from the truth, because it's exactly what they are doing with Wii at the moment (not that I think they could go it alone).

Obviously it's over for PS3 in Japan, in terms of being the dominant console.

Xavien said:
I guess, but there's still hope. Even so, i really don't know what is going through SE's heads at this point, do the charts go to Sony before being put infront of the SE boss's faces?

SE thinks it can control the market with DQ and FF and they would be wrong.
Square-Enix is an interesting situation. Nintendo has sculpted their internal teams specifically, and so has Square-Enix. It's pretty clear Square-Enix generally has huge teams so the majority of their development is going to be structured accordingly, to deliver big budget, epic experiences. If you are a Square-Enix whore I think you'll need a PS3. However, the problem they face is their costs are rising and their sales are remaining steady, or declining, and the mass market in Japan is going to be on Wii.

From a sw sales point of view, Square-Enix is no longer the most important publisher, Nintendo is, by a long way. Square-Enix sw sells well, but nowhere near Nintendo's level, and as a result of the market this is giving Nintendo, Square-Enix is in a sticky spot with which platforms they should support. However, for the reasons I described earlier, in addition to the time it takes to create their games, I think certain projects will remain on PS3.

DQ, I can see sticking with Nintendo, especially if DQS and DQIX sell well, and I think it would be wise for Square-Enix to develop a new, more traditional, FF 1-6, type experience, for the millions of potential fans on Wii.

This gen is going to be really interesting. With Wii taking the Japanese market with such force it will make 3rd Parties support the system. The question is are most developers going to deliver updates to existing games for their success on Wii, or will it be from new games from existing franchises and new games from new IPs?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ft3eygk.gif

ziran said:
Amazing to see the entire Top 20 on Nintendo systems!

I didn't expect a return to dominance to be so swift. Also, incredible sales for Wii Sports and deservedly so, should be another big week for Wii hw. From what I remember reading in addition to One Piece's shipment being only 50K and selling out, a new shipment wasn't going to be available until after Golden Week, so it could rebound next week.

Seeing this chart really shows how strong Nintendo is in Japan, I mean, saying they could go it alone wouldn't be too far from the truth, because it's exactly what they are doing with Wii at the moment (not that I think they could go it alone).

Obviously it's over for PS3 in Japan, in terms of being the dominant console.

Square-Enix is an interesting situation. Nintendo has sculpted their internal teams specifically, and so has Square-Enix. It's pretty clear Square-Enix generally has huge teams so the majority of their development is going to be structured accordingly, to deliver big budget, epic experiences. If you are a Square-Enix whore I think you'll need a PS3. However, the problem they face is their costs are rising and their sales are remaining steady, or declining, and the mass market in Japan is going to be on Wii.

From a sw sales point of view, Square-Enix is no longer the most important publisher, Nintendo is, by a long way. Square-Enix sw sells well, but nowhere near Nintendo's level, and as a result of the market this is giving Nintendo, Square-Enix is in a sticky spot with which platforms they should support. However, for the reasons I described earlier, in addition to the time it takes to create their games, I think certain projects will remain on PS3.

DQ, I can see sticking with Nintendo, especially if DQS and DQIX sell well, and I think it would be wise for Square-Enix to develop a new, more traditional, FF 1-6, type experience, for the millions of potential fans on Wii.

This gen is going to be really interesting. With Wii taking the Japanese market with such force it will make 3rd Parties support the system. The question is are most developers going to deliver updates to existing games for their success on Wii, or will it be from new games from existing franchises and new games from new IPs?
Nintendo never really left the top if you count raw totals. They own Pokemon and Mario, with a combined software total of more than 350M copies between the two. Square's FF series is just around 70 M to round up the top 3 selling Japanese franchises of all time.

Nintendo is probably the most important and biggest publisher in the history of video games, bigger than EA.

edit: Oh, Wikipedia says Nintendo's revenue last year was $4B while Square's was just $500M.
Jocchan said:

You win the thread, sir!

ziran

Jocchan said:
http://pic1.picbin.net/direct/ft3eygk.gif
:lol

Awesome GIF! :lol

chibcicylist said:
Nintendo never really left the top if you count raw totals. They own Pokemon and Mario, with a combined software total of more than 350M copies between the two. Square's FF series is just around 70 M to round up the top 3 selling Japanese franchises of all time.

Nintendo is probably the most important and biggest publisher in the history of video games, bigger than EA.

edit: Oh, Wikipedia says Nintendo's revenue last year was $4B while Square's was just $500M.
You're right, overall, but I was really talking about Nintendo's potential sw sales on home consoles in Japan vs. Square-Enix's.

ziran

D.Lo said:
"DS Reaches 10 Million Sales Mark in Japan"

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5567&Itemid=2

Fact checking FTL. Honestly, they even have Lite and DS listed separately on the freakin page.
The title is misleading. DS Lite sales alone, passing 10 million in Japan in 61 weeks is an incredible achievement!

Jasoncheng posted the news in an earlier thread.

EDIT-
You're right though, it gives the impression DS has just passed 10 million in Japan, when it's closer to passing 20 million!

Thraktor

People confused at Square-Enix's apparent lack of Wii support despite it's vast sales success need to realise that, as Nintendo is coming from (at best) a distant second place last generation, software for Wii is going to hit in a number of waves. (The following are based on an average 18 month dev time)

- The first wave is from publishers who committed development support basically before anything concrete was known about the console. In this case it was mainly Ubisoft, EA and Sega, essentially the big name pubs who hedge their bets by supporting every platform under the sun. Their games came out at or around launch and were mostly a mix of interesting, but not fully exploited gameplay concepts, and cynical shovelware.

- The second wave is going to come from devs and publishers who went to E3 this time last year, saw what Nintendo had to offer, heard the phrase "$599 US Dollars" and thought that Wii might have a much better chance of success than Nintendo had been given credit for. Expect these to hit shelves towards the end of this year.

- The third wave started around Christmas and has been building up momentum since. It's the publishers who, even after the strong E3 showing, told themselves that Nintendo consoles would remain niche, and the big money was to be had with PS3/XBox 360 sales. They're now seeing Wii's phenomenal success in EU, US and Japan and are re-evaluating their strategies to devote more resources to Wii games. The thing is, even if they were to have made their minds up to start Wii development on 1st January this year (at which point it wasn't nearly as clear is it is now, Wii could have seen a sharp post-holiday drop in sales), the games wouldn't start to hit until mid-2008. That said, it's pretty evident that, by now, developers and publishers (especially those which are Japan-focussed) will have made a significant shift towards Wii development, and in the latter half of 2008 we'll see the flood of games that Wii's current success is fostering.

Thraktor said:
People confused at Square-Enix's apparent lack of Wii support despite it's vast sales success need to realise that, as Nintendo is coming from (at best) a distant second place last generation, software for Wii is going to hit in a number of waves. (The following are based on an average 18 month dev time)

- The first wave is from publishers who committed development support basically before anything concrete was known about the console. In this case it was mainly Ubisoft, EA and Sega, essentially the big name pubs who hedge their bets by supporting every platform under the sun. Their games came out at or around launch and were mostly a mix of interesting, but not fully exploited gameplay concepts, and cynical shovelware.

- The second wave is going to come from devs and publishers who went to E3 this time last year, saw what Nintendo had to offer, heard the phrase "$599 US Dollars" and thought that Wii might have a much better chance of success than Nintendo had been given credit for. Expect these to hit shelves towards the end of this year.

- The third wave started around Christmas and has been building up momentum since. It's the publishers who, even after the strong E3 showing, told themselves that Nintendo consoles would remain niche, and the big money was to be had with PS3/XBox 360 sales. They're now seeing Wii's phenomenal success in EU, US and Japan and are re-evaluating their strategies to devote more resources to Wii games. The thing is, even if they were to have made their minds up to start Wii development on 1st January this year (at which point it wasn't nearly as clear is it is now, Wii could have seen a sharp post-holiday drop in sales), the games wouldn't start to hit until mid-2008. That said, it's pretty evident that, by now, developers and publishers (especially those which are Japan-focussed) will have made a significant shift towards Wii development, and in the latter half of 2008 we'll see the flood of games that Wii's current success is fostering.

They could at least, you know announce something. They announced stuff for the niche HD consoles wwwaaaaaaaaaaayyyy two years in advance, I don't see why they can't do that to the most likely market leader today.

Admittedly, we have seen the first wave of announcements but I'm itching for moar!

manzo

chibcicylist said:
They could at least, you know announce something. They announced stuff for the niche HD consoles wwwaaaaaaaaaaayyyy two years in advance, I don't see why they can't do that to the most likely market leader today.

Admittedly, we have seen the first wave of announcements but I'm itching for moar!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Vagabundo

chibcicylist said:

Agreed, however the only reason I am iching is because I am waiting to play more Wii games.

After my summer splurge (trauma centre, slugs, RE4 and maybe SSX) and with the good, bad and the ugly (SMG, SSBB and MP3) later in the year I will be happy with the occasional crumb of information.

At the moment I have been mostly playing excite truck and godfather.

chibcicylist said:

I hate saying this, but:

wait for E3.

Kafel

Banned
chibcicylist said:
They could at least, you know announce something

They just announced Chocobo's Dungeon.

Games that were appreciated in Japan : more than 1million sold for the 1st one.

DQS will be released soon. FF CC just got unveiled.

If they really decided to be more focused on the Wii when staring at the first quarter sales chart, with the time to find an idea, produce arts and a little bit of code in order to actually show something, we'll see that at E3 and TGS.

Parl

It's amazing how a MC thread with Nintendo dominating the top 21 and much of the rest has turned into a thread where Nintendo fans are on the defensive.

D.Lo

Parl said:
It's amazing how a MC thread with Nintendo dominating the top 21 and much of the rest has turned into a thread where Nintendo fans are on the defensive.
You know, in the past I would have loved SE support, because it is so important for a console's success. I haven't actually liked most of their games for ages, it was a political thing.

But now that Nintendo have shown they can dominate without them, I don't even care. In fact, personally I hope their role is diminished by this. If this is the age of new, small developers coming to the fore, and the Wii can help this, that can only be a good thing IMO.

Parl said:

The holdout fighters of the SDF are getting creative now :lol

Thraktor

In an effort to show how much more games have to sell to get into the top 10 since the DS started dominating the charts, I went about collecting the data of what the 10th place game sold each week back as far as I could. The problem, however, is that I could only find GAF threads going back to the start of 2006 (advanced search, Media Create in thread title), by which stage the DS was already selling ridiculous amounts, and I couldn't find any other reliable data source.

So, because I spent half-an-hour trawling through 70-odd old MC threads to put it together, I figure I might as well throw the chart out there, even if there's nothing useful to deduct from it (it's been fairly level with bumps at the holidays):

MC_top10entry.png

I couldn't find a thread for the sales week ending 24th Sept '06, hence the gap.

One absolutely useless piece of info from it:
The 29th placed game in last week's chart (although not quite the 30th) would have made it into the top 10 on the week ending 11th June '06.

If anyone has data running back through '05, I'd be more than happy to throw it in with what I have here and see if there has actually been an increase over the past few years.

iamblades

lol from the Ps3forums:

Originally Posted by PS3World View Post
**** me, talk about DOMINATION.

Can someone do little research on my behalf and find out what percentages of the Japanese population are under the age 16.

:lol :lol :lol

Someone should tell him that Japan has one of the oldest populations in the world, but I don't have the heart to shatter his 'nintendo=teh kiddie' worldview, as it is probably the only thing keeping him from a psychotic break.

Jirotrom

Parl said:
what do you expect...hardcore Sony only fans can't handle the role switch they have now encountered.

Thraktor said:
The problem, however, is that I could only find GAF threads going back to the start of 2006 (advanced search, Media Create in thread title)
The search only goes back one year. Look in the Sales Archive, though, and you'll find most MC threads through back to early 2005.

Thraktor said:

Makes sense to me; this is probably why we're not seeing further Wii megatons from Squenix just yet.

For the record, though, I am definitely not on the Train That Shall Not Be Named. It's just a fanboy wet dream.

Top Bottom