• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

jepense

laserbeam said:
Kinda scary just how convinced they are. they'd be considered joke characters around here but they are dead serious.
Obviously some of them are joke characters, especially in the thread linked to by Leondexter.

laserbeam

Banned
jepense said:
Obviously some of them are joke characters, especially in the thread linked to by Leondexter.

Some of the recent join date people posting that stuff most definetly but theres plenty with thousands of posts making similar style claims who are most certainly not joke characters of gaffers

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
RomRei? said:
Another Price cut thread, ;; ;; ;;
Price cut before break even, had bankruped Sega and put a big $1 billion debt on MS.
Early Price Cut is nothing but bad news.
Sega Saturn fight on and make Sega enough money to make DC,
early price cut on DC bankruped Sega.
If you want PS3 lost and SCE bankrup then do the price cut.

HUAHUAHAUAHU

ethelred

Awesome sales analysis, guys. I'm glad the elite bastion of reasonable gaming discussion, NeoGAF, isn't descending into system wars circle jerking.

ethelred said:
There is no "Square side." It's been four years, guys -- it's Square Enix. One company. There aren't "sides" anymore.
Pffffft. Yoshinori Kitase and Akitoshi Kawazu aren't touching Dragon Quest and Yuji Horii isn't doing Final Fantasy; many things are as split as they ever were. They own Taito, too, but I wouldn't say DQS or FFCC count for anyone wanting a Taito game.

Xisiqomelir

ethelred said:
They've been the #1 quality third party on the DS (easily)

atlusnav_14.gif

:(

laserbeam

Banned
jj984jj said:
Last week Wii Sports sold 60k so it makes perfect sense.

Last week Wii Sports sold 58K units and Moved 102K Wii consoles.

85K Wii Sports units moved the following week so it doesnt seem logical a near 30K unit increase would result in fewer wii console sales

Juice

Sorry for derailing things with the ps3forums quotes; next time we have a slow news day, we should totally put on a "in this thread, we entertain the fantasies over at ps3forums"

Maybe I'll set up a quick phpBB install or something and invite members of both forums for a "public debate" on PS3 sales!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
laserbeam said:

85K Wii Sports units moved the following week so it doesnt seem logical a near 30K unit increase would result in fewer wii console sales

He was way off on the consoles for the week before so I guess we should just wait till tomorrow.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
the price should stay the same... i dont know why every1 is complaining for it!

IT IS AN AWESOME PRICE! for what it actually is we are getting a great deal. blu-ray player itself is worth more than wut it costs, the game console is probably worth like 90% of its cost. and with all the including stuff u get.... like internet browser, wireless intrernet, FREE ONLINE PLAY ( a huge one) if i was selling this product i would sell it for 100$ more and feel ripped off.

only reason people want it lower is because everything else is cheaper, in time the price will go down, just like all new technology does eventually. if people want to complain about the price and go for old technology (360 with no HDMI =X) then its gonna cost less. its like buying a VHS player over a dvd player

VHS used to costs a lot less and but the dvds cost a lot less, i dont think the ps3 will go below the 360 in cost but it will match it in due time and its wroth will be much higher when it does

EDIT: another reason people arent buying is because they dont like first generation consoles, next year the sales will BOOM!

wut

edit: i'll stop now :p

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
laserbeam said:

If that's what Nintendo shipped it makes perfect sense. People who bought it last week could be buying Wii Sports.

Deku

Banned
Juice said:
Sorry for derailing things with the ps3forums quotes; next time we have a slow news day, we should totally put on a "in this thread, we entertain the fantasies over at ps3forums"

Maybe I'll set up a quick phpBB install or something and invite members of both forums for a "public debate" on PS3 sales!

Nothing was derailed from this thread. MC threads usually go to shit right about now, except you're outsourcing our crazies.

Without hardware, there's not much to talk about other than the Nintendo top 21.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
laserbeam said:

The initial numbers are from another source altogether..and the past 3 weeks they've been off with the Wii.

The two sources don't always match up

Evlar

Banned
Adumaha said:
Does anyone know what Fire Emblem is at now?
I think one of sinobi's posts earlier in the week had it at 4,000 units sold in the week before Golden Week, and the total at 134,000. That's just from memory.

DarkMehm

Agent Icebeezy said:
He was way off on the consoles for the week before so I guess we should just wait till tomorrow.

Why do people think that the numbers on sinobis site are his numbers? They are from Famitsu. Of course there will be differences, but more in the area of +/- 15k.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The Sphinx said:
I think one of sinobi's posts earlier in the week had it at 4,000 units sold in the week before Golden Week, and the total at 134,000. That's just from memory.

Ah thanks, shame to see a great game get so little recognition. Oh well, at least IntSys is getting great sales with SPM

Evlar

Banned
DarkMehm said:
Why do people think that the numbers on sinobis site are his numbers? They are from Famitsu. Of course they will be differences, but more in the area of +/- 15k.
You posted this in the last thread too. Nobody think sinobi is personally researching the numbers. We just call them sinobi's numbers because he's the one who reports them.

Seriously dude.

fresquito

Ok, kinda late, but seriously, this quote Alkalline posted is just reaching way too much. I`ve NEVER seen this argument used before.

yes it's cheap to make DS and Wii games but there's still not as great a potential for profits because you can't make a movie or television show out of a DS game unless it's the most ludicrously popular one in existance (pokemon) after that ever single other one of the games have to rely on their actual sales to generate profit. Meanwhile MGS and half a dozen other large console properties are getting a 100million dollar movie deals which while yeild huge profits in theater and DVD sales for years not to mention cable and broadcast TV rights.

.dmc

Banned
ps3forums said:
I agree. Once the bigger titles start to hit(That upcoming FF game is going to be HUUUUUUUGGEEEE) It's all over for the Wii.

I still believe that the PSP can come out on top as well. It's got awesome graphics that will pull the casuals in(Eventually the people buying those dumbass brain games will tire of a kiddy system) and the games, wow the games are just starting to pour in! Did you see all those FF games announced for the PSP! All Nintendo systems get are dumb spinoffs.

Wii is just a gimmick.

Got to be a joke character right?

Innotech

Banned
fresquito said:
Ok, kinda late, but seriously, this quote Alkalline posted is just reaching way too much. I`ve NEVER seen this argument used before.
that was the main reason I linked to that thread before. I was laughing so hard at that. Ive also never seen that excuse before.

Salmonax

fresquito said:
Points for creativity, I'll give them that.

justchris

Nothing much new released this week, not much to talk about until hardware comes out. This is the week I call time of death on the PS3. If it can't manage ~20k units for golden week, it is no longer a going concern in Japan.

Also, so as not to bump last week's thread again (wouldn't want to throw off the 'posts in media create threads' graph):

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't recall an official price drop to $100; thought I saw them for $119, which I guessed was as much a store discount as anything. Anyone got a source on this for future reference?

Well, no, no, there wasn't an official price drop. What seemed to happen was that all retailers quietly shifted the DS price to $99 to clear out stock and then restocked with the DS Lite. As early as a week after the DS Lite released in the US, every original DS I saw was selling for ~$99.99. I have no verification, but I assume the situation has been very different in Japan, what with DS' of any stripe being difficult to find.

So no, the only official price drop the DS ever had was when it dropped from $150 to $130.

CANLI

Brain Age 2 will be released 29 june in Europe.
I think that Nintendo will commnicate a third BA in july.
Still no release date for BBA Wii and Paper Mario.
When I see Metroid Prime Pinball Europe release date: 22 june 2007.. I'm wondering if Nintendo Europe really loves us.

Gorgie said:
This really demonstrates how this is an industry of inertia. Once a platform (or platforms in Nintendo's fortunate case) takes the lead, the lead only gets wider there on out. I think the hypothetical situation of the videogame market install base evenly split is impossible.
While I don't agree that the first few months decide the generation's battle, I do agree that there's no way it will be split 3 ways; it's a pretty pussy-out way of analyzing the market.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
So you posted the Nintendo top 20, what about all format? you also forgot the PS3 chart, oh, wait....

Nintendomination total, I was called out for saying the Wii would sell 150k this week, it seems like I'm not going to be that far off, heh :)

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
This is great for the Wii, knowing all the major franchises are not even released yet. (They still will have another Zelda). The only games they've released are Wario Ware (Which is now usually a close to launch title), and Big Brain, Excite Truck and Super Paper Mario... if these even count as big franchises...

God knows what will happen when we get Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers, Metroid Prime and of course a bit of F-Zero.

Will the world explode?

Stop It said:
So you posted the Nintendo top 20, what about all format? you also forgot the PS3 chart, oh, wait....

Nintendomination total, I was called out for saying the Wii would sell 150k this week, it seems like I'm not going to be that far off, heh :)

I think you need to quote yourself and the link to that prediction for full effect.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Tonight GAF is gonna explode. Everybody, try to reach a safe place, and get prepared.

Note to myself: never keep more than one "Reply to thread" window open at the same time...

Thraktor

scola said:
do we have tracking for weekly Wii Sports : Wii Hardware and an average?

This is a few weeks out of date (I'm on a college computer, so I don't have the spreadsheet with me), but here's the most recent chart I've uploaded:

wiisportsattach08_04.png

There's a few things worth noting.

- The attach rate is (generally) higher on weeks with low sales, and lower on weeks with high sales. Even if there were an abnormally high attach rate of 70%, that'd still correspond to 121,117 Wii hardware sales. That said, this is a very high sales week, so the attach rate could be as low as 55%, resulting in hardware sales of 154,149.

- It's not on the above chart, but Super Paper Mario doesn't seem to have made any impact on Wii Sports sales. It appars that most people who buy SPM along with a new Wii also buy Wii Sports. As such, SPM's high sales aren't worth taking into account with regard to the Wii Sports attach rate.

- As I've said, I don't have the spreadsheet with me, but when I do, I'll run the Wii Sports sales through recent trends to get a hardware prediction for the week. My current alogrithm is usually been within 5k or so of the actual hardware sales, but given that it's golden week, sales of both hardware and software could go against recent trends.

Preliminary predictions:
Wii: 140,000
PS3: 14,000 (to drop below 10k next week)

Top Bottom