• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/30 - 5/06

Evlar

Banned
felipeko said:
You have to change the options

Quick Links> Edit Options > Default Thread Age Cut Off > Show All Threads
Awesome, thanks. Didn't think to check something like that.

Xavien

felipeko said:

Thank You so much. :)

I was wondering why i couldn't see hardly any threads in the archives.

ziran

Thraktor said:
People confused at Square-Enix's apparent lack of Wii support despite it's vast sales success need to realise that, as Nintendo is coming from (at best) a distant second place last generation, software for Wii is going to hit in a number of waves. (The following are based on an average 18 month dev time)

- The first wave is from publishers who committed development support basically before anything concrete was known about the console. In this case it was mainly Ubisoft, EA and Sega, essentially the big name pubs who hedge their bets by supporting every platform under the sun. Their games came out at or around launch and were mostly a mix of interesting, but not fully exploited gameplay concepts, and cynical shovelware.

- The second wave is going to come from devs and publishers who went to E3 this time last year, saw what Nintendo had to offer, heard the phrase "$599 US Dollars" and thought that Wii might have a much better chance of success than Nintendo had been given credit for. Expect these to hit shelves towards the end of this year.

- The third wave started around Christmas and has been building up momentum since. It's the publishers who, even after the strong E3 showing, told themselves that Nintendo consoles would remain niche, and the big money was to be had with PS3/XBox 360 sales. They're now seeing Wii's phenomenal success in EU, US and Japan and are re-evaluating their strategies to devote more resources to Wii games. The thing is, even if they were to have made their minds up to start Wii development on 1st January this year (at which point it wasn't nearly as clear is it is now, Wii could have seen a sharp post-holiday drop in sales), the games wouldn't start to hit until mid-2008. That said, it's pretty evident that, by now, developers and publishers (especially those which are Japan-focussed) will have made a significant shift towards Wii development, and in the latter half of 2008 we'll see the flood of games that Wii's current success is fostering.
Agreed.

norinrad21 said:
When is E3?
July 11-13
http://www.e3expo.com/login/login.aspx?redirect=/index.aspx

felipeko said:

Thanks.

Interesting reading.

Complete Sony domination of the entire videogame industry seemed like it was beginning to happen, but, it didn't work out that way...

felipeko

Xavien said:
Thank You so much. :)

I was wondering why i couldn't see hardly any threads in the archives.
Kuramu said:
Awesome, thanks. Didn't think to check something like that.
You're welcome :D
I just figured that out, and wanted to share with the world.. :lol

MasterMFauli said:
Dunno where else to ask, so: when do we get the new US-NPD numbers? It feels like years gone that we had the last.
In one week and few hours..

That PS3 forum is hilarious, but I honestly can't stand to read very much of it. All those posts are like looking at a mirror of myself from 2000-2005.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Staggering success.

I wouldn't be surprised if some Japanese 3rd parties flat out canned titles for other platforms and shifted the vast majority of their development resources onto DS and Wii. They've got to be wanting a piece of that pie and that requires your top talent working on your best games.

ziran

You know, some of the posts in those old sales threads are really ****ing funny! :lol

Especially those from people who used to be such ardent supporters of Sony dominance, often providing stats and sales predictions, now becoming those who either never post at all, or those who drop in and say things like 'Wow, MC threads are just circle jerks for NTards', when it's exactly what they used to do when Sony was on top! :lol

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
ziran said:
You know, some of the posts in those old sales threads are really ****ing funny! :lol

Especially those from people who used to be such ardent supporters of Sony dominance, often providing stats and sales predictions, now becoming those who either never post at all, or those who drop in and say things like 'Wow, MC threads are just circle jerks for NTards', when it's exactly what they used to do when Sony was on top! :lol
:lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
MrSardonic said:
Staggering success.

I wouldn't be surprised if some Japanese 3rd parties flat out canned titles for other platforms and shifted the vast majority of their development resources onto DS and Wii. They've got to be wanting a piece of that pie and that requires your top talent working on your best games.

Apparently SquareEnix never got this memo because they are still making exclusives for the X360 and PS3 while leaving the Wii with scraps.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Apparently SquareEnix never got this memo because they are still making exclusives for the X360 and PS3 while leaving the Wii with scraps.

Please, please, please don't start that here.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hcoregamer00 said:

Last Remnant has probably been in development for 6-7 months, and they're not just going to cancel it, especially with 360 doing well in the U.S

Be patient

Xisiqomelir

Hcoregamer00 said:

Thraktor is right. We won't know about that for months.

jimbo

Banned
schuelma said:
Last Remnant has probably been in development for 6-7 months, and they're not just going to cancel it, especially with 360 doing well in the U.S

Be patient

What about Star Ocean....that was also JUST ANNOUNCED for NEXT-GEN consoles.

Why not Wii?

schuelma

jimbo said:
What about Star Ocean....that was also JUST ANNOUNCED for NEXT-GEN consoles.

Why not Wii?

Last Remnant was just announced too- I'm sure SO has been in development for a while as well.

Satter

Banned
I remember when S-E said they didn't want to see one console dominate the industry. Maybe that's why they're helping Sony and MS more because Nintendo seems to be doing just fine without them so far.

andthebeatgoeson

ziran said:

Turnabout is only fair, though. I was never as active in sales threads until the recent Nintakeover. I was interested in it but it could be because of bias, my disinterest in the gaming side of GAF and love of the OT (I used to hate the arguments over here) or whatever. I don't know but I can tell you I post more to rebut retarded arguments. I only want to see certain companies fail because of their audacity to try and force such a large price increase and not because of affilitation or love of certain games.

All 3 of the companies have their faults. Sony with it's price and MS is just a little better but when you consider how many people have experienced a broken machine or our on their 3+ machine, you wonder if the PS3 is a better deal. Nintendo with it's faulty/non-existent/gimped online and lesser graphics.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Satter said:
I remember when S-E said they didn't want to see one console dominate the industry. Maybe that's why they're helping Sony and MS more because Nintendo seems to be doing just fine without them so far.

:lol yeah that's business 101 right there.

Hcoregamer00

Satter said:

Yeah, they are doing it because it worked so well last generation.

Hey, at least they will narrow the Wii/PS3 gap (for like a week).

On topic: Go DS!!!

Xavien

Pureauthor said:
Can we move this announcement discussion to another thread? Please?

Preferably not in a thread I have any desire to follow.

Indeed, the SE announcement thread has become a total clusterf**k. Don't let it spill over here please.

schuelma

Hcoregamer00 said:
Later tonight.

The big question will be if the Wii goes upwards for golden week or if it goes lower.

Judging from Wii Sports numbers, it will be higher

Hcoregamer00

schuelma said:
Judging from Wii Sports numbers, it will be higher

Is Wii sports really that good of a gauge?

I mean right now it is working, but eventually it will come to a point where it isn't a proper gauge of Wii sales.

Parl

This is ridiculous! It's been said several times by a few people. How come people automatically assume SE are ignoring their opportunity to do big business on Wii just because they made one spin-off game announcement at the conference?

Before Wii kicked ass worldwide: Announcements

- DQS
- FF:CC (with more effort put in than its predecessor, from what it seems)

After Wii started kicking ass worldwide: Announcements

- Chocobo spin-off

Who honestly thinks this is all they have planned? SE jumped on the DS because of its success and has done well because of it, it unlikely they're not currently doing the same with Wii. Lack of announcements only several months after new games are planned is not evidence to the contrary. They're gonna wanna surprise with trailers. They want hype. There's many n-fans who need to step back and get some common sense.

Parl said:
This is ridiculous! It's been said several times by a few people. How come people automatically assume SE are ignoring their opportunity to do big business on Wii just because they made one spin-off game announcement at the conference?

Before Wii kicked ass worldwide: Announcements

- DQS
- FF:CC (with more effort put in than its predecessor, from what it seems)

After Wii started kicking ass worldwide: Announcements

- Chocobo spin-off

Who honestly thinks this is all they have planned? SE jumped on the DS because of its success and has done well because of it, it unlikely they're not currently doing the same with Wii. Lack of announcements only several months after new games are planned is not evidence to the contrary. They're gonna wanna surprise with trailers. They want hype.

BRING. THIS. ELSEWHERE.

Hcoregamer00 said:
What are you talking about it is Eastern Standard Time?

EST
Because currently it's Eastern Daylight Time. So many times people use the S regardless, but that just makes the letter irrelevant.

Being in Indiana which didn't used to do Daylight Saving Time, I'm well trained to note the difference.

schuelma

JoshuaJSlone said:
Because currently it's Eastern Daylight Time. So many times people use the S regardless, but that just makes the letter irrelevant.

Being in Indiana which didn't used to do Daylight Saving Time, I'm well trained to note the difference.

You Hoosiers are crazy

Evlar

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Is Wii sports really that good of a gauge?

I mean right now it is working, but eventually it will come to a point where it isn't a proper gauge of Wii sales.
Yes, but when that happens we expect the attach rate to DROP, not to go UP. If sinobi's numbers match the MC numbers then Wii Sports will have sold more copies than the Wii itself during Golden Week, which strikes me as improbable.

Top Bottom