• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/9 - 4/15

Smiles and Cries said:
now I'm starting to wonder what is really hurting the PS3 in Japan?

its the PS2 Sony!

Gremlins.
ghoulies_smaller1.jpg

Linkup

ghostlyjoe said:
Come on, dude. I know it's a joke, but let's not gloat, now.

Does anyone else think MS has killed Sony in Japan? Think of this way. The XBox flopped in Japan. The 360 flopped in Japan. The PS3 is clearly aimed at one-upping Microsoft, including its software library (an FPS was its marquee launch title, for God's sake). Now, the PS3 is flopping in Japan.

Basically, in Japan, Sony has followed Microsoft right into the gutter.

Could of just said it's the games that sell a system.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Linkup said:
Hey I'm new to this, give me a break and let me be completely off for a few weeks.

Just FYI- the attach rate of Wii Sports is usually about 55% give or take a bit. :)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
icecream said:
Next week, FSN.

Good to see PW4 pull in, the series deserves all the attention it gets. Now bring it over here, Capcom!
PW3 and PW4 duel release

Good job, kill the series as it starts to blossom.

Capcom doesn't make bad decisions like that, do they?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
TheGreatDave said:
I have nothing about the game, I'm really enjoying it. It's just not the kinda game that I see having these huge legs or breathtaking opening sales. Golden Week may be throwing me off because I don't know exactly what to expect from it, but I don't the numbers being that amazing. The userbase is still pretty small and I think Paper Mario 2 sold around 150,000 on a larger Gamecube userbase.

Still, tis just a guess.

Golden Week = super Christmas

legend166

I think Wii hardware this week will be 80k.

Can any Japanese Gaffers tell us if SPM has gotten a strong marketing push from Nintendo? I think if it has it can sell 200k first week.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So what time will March NPD's be dropped tomorrow? I'd like to be around for the first 10 pages (or 20 mintues) if possible.

Mar

Be funny if FF out sold SPM, with all the predictions in this thread.

I don't see it happening though. The first Mario game on Japan's new favourite console, with uber pretty graphics and art. It has to sell well. Not as well as some are saying, but I think it will do good numbers.

Finn

Japan isn't that stupid.

Expensive console + No games = Fail.
Certainly can't say the same for Europe. I kid because I love. And in Europe's defense, the PS3 launched with a shitload of games. But still.

ElFly

Finn said:
Certainly can't say the same for Europe. I kid because I love. And in Europe's defense, the PS3 launched with a shitload of games. But still.

Well, Resistance isn't going to sell to the japanese. Motorstorm was seriously gimped there. Gundam Musou did fine, but it already dropped off the charts.

Next months aren't better.

Finn

ElFly said:
Well, Resistance isn't going to sell to the japanese. Motorstorm was seriously gimped there. Gundam Musou did fine, but it already dropped off the charts.

Next months aren't better.
I actually meant that while you can't call Japan stupid, you definitely can say it about Europe (considering they're snapping up PS3s).

Terrell

grandjedi6 said:
Atlus markets there games too, they just don't have the power like Nintendo or the other major publishers do
Please, a single magazine ad in one, MAYBE two, magazines is not marketing. They'd sell more games posting something on a community bulletin board.

AniHawk

Smiles and Cries said:
What if all 3 big games come out this holiday without delays

Metroid Prime 3

Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Mario Galaxy

???

Matt-IGN hints this is what Nintendo is planning on.
http://wii.ign.com/mail/

I want to see Japanese sales after something like that :lol

MP3 wont matter. Mario will be big. SSBB will surely destroy us all.

justchris

Mar_ said:
Be funny if FF out sold SPM, with all the predictions in this thread.

I don't see it happening though. The first Mario game on Japan's new favourite console, with uber pretty graphics and art. It has to sell well. Not as well as some are saying, but I think it will do good numbers.

I'd laugh. I'd laugh a lot. Like, that entire week. Filled with laughter.

Unlikely though. SPM is a new game. FF I PSP is, what, the 3rd remake of that game? I'm not forcasting spectacular sales for it. Maybe 350k lifetime.

Edit: And by forecasting I mean predicting as I obviously have no solid numbers on which to base an actual forecast.

Smiles and Cries said:

Metroid Prime 3

Mario Galaxy

???

Please give SSBB more time, I'd like to see as many 3rd party characters inside as possible.:)

wonderfuldays said:
Please give SSBB more time, I'd like to see as many 3rd party characters inside as possible.:)

come on the game has to come out sometime, they can always give us another version using the same engine

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Smiles and Cries said:

Metroid Prime 3

Mario Galaxy

???

IGN Mailbag said:
Yeah, we have actually. Bozie and I have two concepts floating around - one is a new VC-style game and another is an original Wii project. We mess around with them in our spare time. The concepts have gained the interest of some big developers and I have even been asked to leave IGN and come aboard as a game designer - twice, which is incredibly flattering. I do feel like we've got a pretty good idea what Wii fans - at least those who lean to the hardcore - want and our game concepts definitely reflect that. Both are designed specifically for the console's strengths and the full game is spectacularly dark and mean-spirited, which I personally find intriguing. For now though, I'm going to keep my day job and keep experimenting on the side.

It never ends, soon all gaming "journalists" will be pseudo-designers :lol

TheGreatDave said:
I have nothing about the game, I'm really enjoying it. It's just not the kinda game that I see having these huge legs or breathtaking opening sales. Golden Week may be throwing me off because I don't know exactly what to expect from it, but I don't the numbers being that amazing. The userbase is still pretty small and I think Paper Mario 2 sold around 150,000 on a larger Gamecube userbase.

Still, tis just a guess.
Userbase isn't too small. Paper Mario TTYD was a mid-2004 GCN release in Japan, so without checking for an exact number I'd guess the userbase was around 3.3 million. Add a few more weeks of Wii sales, and it will probably be about 70% of that for SPM's release.

apujanata said:
Paper Mario RPG (PM:TYD in US) first week sales is : 137K, on July 25, 2004. At that time, there are about 3.3 Million GCN.
Well damn. I'm not sure to be impressed or worried that I knew GameCube's Japanese sales history that well.

Smiles and Cries said:

Metroid Prime 3
Mario Galaxy
???

I want to see Japanese sales after something like that
As a clump of big-name games, it looks a lot like GameCube's late 2002. However, conditions should be a bit more receptive this time around.

Bo130

First week, with BBA having slightly longer legs than SPM.

SPM - 130k
BBA - 70k
FFXII:RW - 210k
IDAT (Clubhouse Games) - 300k
PdP DS - 80k

apujanata

Jibber Hack said:
I know someone has the figures somewhere...

How well have the Paper Mario games done in the past?

Paper Mario RPG (PM:TTYD) : Famitsu based data
Release date : 22-Jul-04
LTD sales : 398,218
As of : 2-Jan-05
First week sales : 137,750

I don't have the figure for the first Paper Mario game.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well damn. I'm not sure to be impressed or worried that I knew GameCube's Japanese sales history that well.
Is it I (Joshua) or you (apujanata) ? not sure what you are trying to say there, since it is like kettle calling another kettle. :D

Berserker

Wow, very nice to see Pheonix Wright 4 get such amazing sales numbers in its first week. Did the previous ones also sell this well?

apujanata

AniHawk said:
You think MP3 will be an event in Japan? Really?

I forgot that this is a Japan thread. Yeah, you are right. We can forget about MP3 in Japan. (I was thinking about your universal hatred against MP series, and forgot we are talking about japan).

Bo130

Berserker said:
Wow, very nice to see Pheonix Wright 4 get such amazing sales numbers in its first week. Did the previous ones also sell this well?

No, it broke the record for best selling Phoenix Wright game in Japan in it's first week :D

AniHawk

apujanata said:
I forgot that this is a Japan thread. Yeah, you are right. We can forget about MP3 in Japan. (I was thinking about your universal hatred against MP series, and forgot we are talking about japan).

My hatred for MP is well-grounded in reality. If it was universal, then I would hate everything MP2 had to offer, when I can admit it had at least one badass area.

creamsugar

More MC numbers

Wii:
WarioWare: Smooth Moves 5,000 385,000
Mezase!! Tsuri Master 4,000 29,000
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 3,000 436,000
Pokémon Battle Revolution 3,000 255,000
Fire Emblem: Akatsuki no Megami 3,000 127,000
Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX 2000+ 82000
Bomberland Wii 2,000 23,000
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 2,000 123,000
Sonic and the Secret Rings 1,000 22,000

PS3
Pro Baseball Spirits 4 6,000 40,000
Gundam Musou 3,000 246,000
Winning Post 7 Maximum 2007 1,000 11,000

Xbox360
No game in top 100.

DS=Wii×2
Wii=PSP×3
PSP=PS2×2
PS2≥PS3
PS3=X360×4

ElFly

Finn said:
I actually meant that while you can't call Japan stupid, you definitely can say it about Europe (considering they're snapping up PS3s).

They have slightly better games for their tastes, and they aren't buying that many PS3s as Sony's PR wants you to believe.

ElFly

creamsugar said:
More MC numbers

Wii:
WarioWare: Smooth Moves 5,000 385,000
Mezase!! Tsuri Master 4,000 29,000
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 3,000 436,000
Pokémon Battle Revolution 3,000 255,000
Fire Emblem: Akatsuki no Megami 3,000 127,000
Bomberland Wii 2,000 23,000
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 2,000 123,000
Sonic and the Secret Rings 1,000 22,000