• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 5/21 - 5/27

So I said earlier I'd update my as-complete-as-possible TXT files of comma-separated sales info, and now that Famitsu has updated here they are:
Media Create
Famitsu

And Famitsu's info, by the way for 2007-05-14 through 2007-05-20, since noone else has posted it yet:
h-121_72611_070615soft.jpg.jpg
h-121_72611_070615hard.jpg.jpg

Innotech

Banned
not like the rounding error matters too much :lol
wow I guess when Nintendo comes back it really comes screaming back like a banshee from the netherworlds.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Innotech said:
not like the rounding error matters too much :lol
wow I guess when Nintendo comes back it really comes screaming back like a banshee from the netherworlds.

Well the rounding error is consistent, at least. It gives each the .25 or w/e extra % point. Just for record keeping purposes, my statement of the Wii officially having 2/3 market share is still accurate, rounding error and all. 66.69 > 66.66

Epigamic

JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah, true enough. I guess what I should've said is that without seeing what the regular trend was throughout previous generations, that slowdown from the 2001 peak doesn't look very scary to me; even the lows of 2003 and 2004 brought them to the same total 2000 reached.

Thanks for the graph. It does seem that the drop in revenue (which I didn't realize was as large as it was -- thanks for that news clip milanbaros) was much larger than the decrease in unit sales. Thanks also for posting the txt files -- some interesting data to chew on.

On another note, it will be interesting to see in the coming weeks if the decrease in tie ratio for wii sports is blip or part of a longer trend.

Innotech

Banned
Epigamic said:
Thanks for the graph. It does seem that the drop in revenue (which I didn't realize was as large as it was -- thanks for that news clip milanbaros) was much larger than the decrease in unit sales. Thanks also for posting the txt files -- some interesting data to chew on.

On another note, it will be interesting to see in the coming weeks if the decrease in tie ratio for wii sports is blip or part of a longer trend.
makes me wonder if they arent buying wii sports, what ARE they buying?

Evlar

Banned
Innotech said:
makes me wonder if they arent buying wii sports, what ARE they buying?
SPM may have stepped in and taken a small bite out of Wii Sports. NSMB is certainly a first-purchase title on the DS. As more viable first-purchase games are released Wii Sports' tie ratio should gradually decrease.

Though I don't think we'll see any more strong contenders in that category until the likes of SMG, Smash Brothers, and Wii Fitness/Music are released this fall.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
PS3 Forums report; - They use that Evil Chart site which makes it x2 Funny

This weeks chart thread Japan Sales Up Again

Maybe its the Folk Soul and NGS are finally having an effect.

Man Ps3 Owns...Its Playstation brutha

Who cares about sales Enjoy no red lights enjoy this crap like Hey its mario cmon

lol Wii are u serious, who in there right mind named a console Wii reason why i love Ps3..

Those last two quotes from a user "XBOX360whatajoke"

vertopci

How well do the Guilty Gear console games sell over in japan? Do they sell a shitload or do they prefer the arcades?

TJ Spyke

I was (and still am) a diehard GameCube fan, but even I realized around 2003 that GameCube would never beat the PS2 in terms of sales. I onder how long before the PS3 Forum people finally admit that PS3 has lost?

"PS3" owns, haha. Maybe it owns the Xbox 360, but not by much, Someone has to post their reactions if Xbox 360 ever outsells PS3 in Japan.

Originally Posted by Innotech:
This makes me wonder if Ps3 wont just sell a shit ton of FF13 and MGS4 and then sink back down to hell again.

Linkup said:
Wait, what? Who is expecting otherwise?

Makes me wonder if FF13 on the PS3 doesn't go the way of Half-Life on the Dreamcast.

andthebeatgoeson

Anybody think the PS3 won't overcome the 360? PS3 is losing share in NA, barely making any on the 360 in JPN and who knows how Europe turns out. They'll both be stuck in molasses.

PantherLotus said:
No they didn't.

I think he's talking about that home game.

Branduil

skinnyrattler said:
Anybody think the PS3 won't overcome the 360?

I'm fairly confident it won't. It certainly won't in the US, and I don't think it's doing well enough in other territories to make up for that.

Innotech

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
Anybody think the PS3 won't overcome the 360? PS3 is losing share in NA, barely making any on the 360 in JPN and who knows how Europe turns out. They'll both be stuck in molasses.

I think he's talking about that home game.
At this point, nintendo dominating the market is really not much of a pipe dream anymore. It has such momentum that even in slow periods it sells out completely 6 months after launch. We are approaching E3 and TGS and the holidays, so from there on, the wii will have plenty of games to sell it into 2008. It has passed the launch to half year period with flying colors and theres really not much that can put a halt to the momentum since its selling like crazy on the backs of two non-games and SPM and hype/pop culture (its on ****ing Japanese gameshows for gods sake). Once more real games come out that appeal to more hardcore gamers who are currently sitting out on the wii, the momentum will only grow stronger. Its getting to a point where Developers really cannot AFFORD to ignore the system. Nintendo probably didnt expect to be in such a great commanding position like this 6 months out. 360 wont ever take off in Japan but ES/Trusty Bell,Blue Dragon will continue to make it at least slightly relevant to Japanese gamers. Ps3 will obviously increase in popularity, but experience some strong gundabumps and descend back to the depths. If sony fans think it will take off and sell anywhere near Ps2s userbase, at this point I think they are delusional.

I have media-create's DS sales (DS+L) at 17,296,679 that means it has now outsold:
...The SUPER FAMICOM!!

SFC LTD shipments were 17.17m as of 2004

I don't know to be proud of NCL or sad the DS has already surpassed the great SFC...

(Next up the Famicom with 19.35m shipped.)

legend166

Josh, could you possibly make a chart that compares software sale percentage to overall system sales?

Edit: Uh, let me rephrase that. A chart that compares software sales percentage to overall marketshare percentage for each console. As in, the Wii sold 13% of the software this week. Is that able equal to the marketshare will the Wii has?

Wyndstryker said:
Damn, DS passed the SFC?

What consoles are left for the DS to beat?
Famicom, PlayStation 2, Game Boy.
legend166 said:
Josh, could you possibly make a chart that compares software sale percentage to overall system sales?
I'm off to sleep for now, but yeah, that seems doable enough if nobody else grabs it first.

Wyndstryker said:
Damn, DS passed the SFC?

What consoles are left for the DS to beat?

The PS2's number is up. If not by the end of the year, then surely sometime within the next 12 months. It's just a matter of when at this point.

Aside from that, how many PS1s were sold in Japan?

legend166 said:
Edit: Uh, let me rephrase that. A chart that compares software sales percentage to overall marketshare percentage for each console. As in, the Wii sold 13% of the software this week. Is that able equal to the marketshare will the Wii has?
Trying to define marketshare is a bit tricky. Do we look at Wii in terms of just the three new systems? Include last gen systems? Why stop there? However, what I was planning on doing will I think achieve the same result. Take the weekly percentage and divide by LTD sales. The actual number it produces will be meaningless, but it would cancel out hardware sales differences to produce a sort of tie ratio snapshot.

cartman414 said:
Aside from that, how many PS1s were sold in Japan?

Famitsu showed about ~13m sold (original PSX) + 1.35m PSone sold (revised data) = 14.4m while Sony shipped/produced 21.59m to Asia...

It's quite a large gap that I've never been able to figure out; yet Famitsu software sales for PSX were almost always spot on so why would they show lower HW sales...?

sphinx

the piano man
cvxfreak said:
Nintendo's got to sell over 200K when the new colors + Zelda come out.

I don't think Zelda matters at all in japan.

"Its a wonderful world" and " Itadaki street" on the other hand...

cvxfreak said:
Unbelieveable. how many is this now?

Looks like it says Metallic Rosa & Gloss Silver.

I though Zelda's release date was set for Aug. 23rd? It will be competing with Itadaki Street: DraQue & Mario if rleased June 23rd.

TJ Spyke

Linkup said:
Wow, it has a chance of catching the ps2.

More than a chance, it's basically guaranteed since DS has been selling more than 100K every week for quite some time. DS would have to basically stop selling.

Top Bottom